Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR has some of the best graphics for an MMO out there

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I think that SWTOR's artstyle has more in common with the Mass Effect series then WoW. Wow's graphics are deceiving. They managed to pull of a good artstyle with very ow polygon counts (was considered low already even back when it was released). It is not my preferred artstyle, but I still think they really squeezed max aestetics out their  graphics engine.

I also dont agree anymore about LOTRO being at the top. It seems that most ppl mainly see the pretty sky and water effect. For the rest it has low detail charactermodels and bland ground textures. Games like Aion look good too, but also has many bland textures and makes up for it with crazy particle effects and animations.

Atm, I think SWTOR, GW2 and AoC are among the best in the graphics department (for MMO's of course).

• mirkrimmirkrim Member Posts: 69

STO has decent character models, but their environments are not in the same league as SWTOR at all.  That's not to say that they aren't improving, but you really can't compare the two games, especially given the massive difference in capabilities of each game's engine (STO is built on the Champions Online game engine).

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

I think this is better...

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by rpgalon

I think this is better...

Game is that? Graphics in that are a couple TIMEs better than SWTOR.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Ginaz

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

The character models are improved, though they're still rather ok than awesome, and nowhere near  AoC's or Aion's character graphics.

In this, SWTOR is kind of like LotrO, the environment graphics are superb but in contrast the character models of both MMO's are ok and 'good enough', but nowhere near astonishing.

I agree with you on the environments.  They are very well done and some of the best I've ever seen in a game, not just an MMO.  I disagree with the character models, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OskRij8AYaU

I like everything about ToR..think this video pretty much nails it

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Game is that? Graphics in that are a couple TIMEs better than SWTOR.

The Secret World, you should check the 20 minute dungeon run gameplay video.

here is one of my favorite monster http://l3cdn.funcom.com/tsw/screenshots/ea_tsw_2-1067x600.jpg

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

I'm not a swtor fan, but i appreciate the graphics. They look nice and smooth and pretty. But they arent sexy. Nope.  Not at all sexy.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by rpgalon

The Secret World, you should check the 20 minute dungeon run gameplay video.

here is one of my favorite monster http://l3cdn.funcom.com/tsw/screenshots/ea_tsw_2-1067x600.jpg

The graphics look great, just like Mass Effect 1 and 2's graphics look more spectacular than SWTOR's. There's a reason why BW didn't opt for Mass Effect level of graphics, even if many including me would have preferred it. It's the same reason why AoC had so many stability and performance issues in the beginning. That level of detailed graphics in an MMO requires huge resources. Sure, I expect TSW to do better in the area of performance and stability than AoC did when it launches, but there's no way that you could show a vast, wide open landscapes in TSW that you'll find in SWTOR like for example the massive city landscape of Coruscant.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Environments look okay.  Surfaces look a little bland but they do well enough.  Background and sky texture are one of the finer things to be had graphically I think. 

Character models look......sort of iffy.  Armor looks fine.  Actual faces and skin texture seem to lack detail to my eyes. 

But to say its one of the best looking mmorpgs out there, to me, seems whoever said it hasnt seen much else because there are plenty of mmos that compare or are far finer graphically.  Artistically they've done alright with what they have.  Although Im not overly impressed there either. 

If I were to play Tor, it wouldnt be because of the graphics any how, because they're not pushing the envelope there in the least.  They're okay.  Not bad.  Just not what I would consider fantastic.  I kind of think if fans here took a step back and stopped patting each other on the back about how amazing the graphics are, they might see that. 

People claim they've chosen these cartoony textures because of art preference.  I dont buy it.  Others say its so it can run on lower end machines.  Nope.  I figure if anything its because if they really do have 200+ hours of game play per class, they'd need to tone it down a bit in order to accomplish a game that big.  But thats just a mild opinion.  Not a fact. 

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Corehaven

...  Nope.  I figure if anything its because if they really do have 200+ hours of game play per class, they'd need to tone it down a bit in order to accomplish a game that big.  But thats just a mild opinion.  Not a fact. ...

I'm curious about your opinion.

Do you believe that 200+ hours of gameplay per class is unique gameplay? 

Or... do you believe that 200+ hours is about 180 hours of shared gameplay for each faction, with about 20+ hours of unique gameplay for each of the 4 base classes?  Or... do you think it is somewhere in between?

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by fadis

...  Nope.  I figure if anything its because if they really do have 200+ hours of game play per class, they'd need to tone it down a bit in order to accomplish a game that big.  But thats just a mild opinion.  Not a fact. ...

Or... do you believe that 200+ hours is about 180 hours of shared gameplay for each faction, with about 20+ hours of unique gameplay for each of the 4 base classes?  Or... do you think it is somewhere in between?

My guess would be that the 200 hours is average for each class to get through their story from start to finish, as with anything your mileage may very but on average it was earmarked at 200, This includes everything including killing mobs, walking to areas (in a beeline way, if you go wandering off that doesn't count towards the timer) and talking to NPCs.

Each class (not advance class) is marked 200 hours, so thats 200x8 (thats 4 for each side) of class story. Now you may at some points be in an area with other people who are doing things there, but they are there for different reasons and under different motives. This does not include raids, flashpoints, group quests, world bosses, exploration or crafting, this 200 hours is just one aspect of the gameplay which is the personal story.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

I'm not sure what the big deal about this statement is.

I mean, let's look at the facts.  There's a pretty limited pool of MMOs with big enough resources to do really great graphics.

There's an even more limited pool of fresh MMOs that use more modern graphics technology (I mean, look at how old things like WoW and CoH are. :P ).

Just by process of elimination, SW:TOR is going to have some of the best graphics for an MMO.

Not THE best maybe, but definitely among some of the best.

Just like you'd expect TSW and GW2 to have better graphics than most MMOs out there.

(shrug)

So, I give this title a 'perfectly accurate' rating on the Meowhead scale.

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Graphics =/= better gameplay. Fail argument in general.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

Originally posted by whilan

My guess would be that the 200 hours is average for each class to get through their story from start to finish, as with anything your mileage may very but on average it was earmarked at 200, This includes everything including killing mobs, walking to areas (in a beeline way, if you go wandering off that doesn't count towards the timer) and talking to NPCs.

Each class (not advance class) is marked 200 hours, so thats 200x8 (thats 4 for each side) of class story. Now you may at some points be in an area with other people who are doing things there, but they are there for different reasons and under different motives. This does not include raids, flashpoints, group quests, world bosses, exploration or crafting, this 200 hours is just one aspect of the gameplay which is the personal story.

This reply is pretty much exactly as I saw it.  Each class has a personal story which factors into it.  So thats individual time allotment.  Id imagine there are also class specific quests and missions. 

I know classes will be doing some of the same stuff or playing with one another.  So in response to Fadis, maybe a bit of both.   But if the 200+ hour thing is true, especially for each of the classes, yea.....thats a LOT of game. 

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Erstok

Graphics =/= better gameplay. Fail argument in general.

I'm not talking about the game play which I think has to show case two of the worst players in MMO history lol, just the enviroments. 

Good thing you saw that part, before you comment huh? oh wait...

Hes is not saying graphics equal gameplay, even says so right in the original post.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by Meowhead

I'm not sure what the big deal about this statement is.

I mean, let's look at the facts.  There's a pretty limited pool of MMOs with big enough resources to do really great graphics.

There's an even more limited pool of fresh MMOs that use more modern graphics technology (I mean, look at how old things like WoW and CoH are. :P ).

Just by process of elimination, SW:TOR is going to have some of the best graphics for an MMO.

Not THE best maybe, but definitely among some of the best.

Just like you'd expect TSW and GW2 to have better graphics than most MMOs out there.

(shrug)

So, I give this title a 'perfectly accurate' rating on the Meowhead scale.

The only problem I see is that Swtor isnt significantly better graphically (as far as I can tell) than WoW for instance.  I said significant.  I do agree I think it looks a little better than WoW.   Im not sure it really quite compares to TSW or GW2 though.  Ive seen some amazing graphics in games recently.  And for a few years now.  Id kind of expected Tor to be a little more graphically advanced. 

But as some as said, great graphics and pretty lights do not make a great game.  Thats very true. 

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

The only problem I see is that Swtor isnt significantly better graphically (as far as I can tell) than WoW for instance.  I said significant.  I do agree I think it looks a little better than WoW.   Im not sure it really quite compares to TSW or GW2 though.  Ive seen some amazing graphics in games recently.  And for a few years now.  Id kind of expected Tor to be a little more graphically advanced. 

But as some as said, great graphics and pretty lights do not make a great game.  Thats very true. 

Not significant. Come on.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

You might be looking at older screenshots and videos too!  I have to admit, about a year and a half ago I looked at SWTOR graphics and was pretty appalled (No offense SWTOR people!).

They've stepped up their game since then, though.

More modern videos are quite a bit better graphically than they used to be.  Perhaps you just don't like the aesthetics?  That's a different matter...

Originally posted by Atlan99

Yea it does look better.  Of course still screen shots kind of help the whole thing. 

I was sort of thinking more along the lines of some of the videos and stuff Ive seen recently.  Demos from the convention and all that.  Looked better than WoW to me.  Just not a lot so.  Things look different in motion. 

Of course.....they probably also look a lot crappier when watched on youtube at low resolution settings.....so....yea. 

• darlok6666darlok6666 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Atlan99

Yeah post pic comparisons of the latest and greatest graphics of SWTOR and compare it to Vanilla WoW pics....

How bout posting pic comparisons of WoW's Cata models numbnuts

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

This reply is pretty much exactly as I saw it.  Each class has a personal story which factors into it.  So thats individual time allotment.  Id imagine there are also class specific quests and missions. 

I know classes will be doing some of the same stuff or playing with one another.  So in response to Fadis, maybe a bit of both.   But if the 200+ hour thing is true, especially for each of the classes, yea.....thats a LOT of game. 

Let me try a different approach.

If you were to decide to play through the entire story of two classes solo - smuggler and trooper, for example - and you were to ignore time spent trying to solo flashpoints or group quests... you believe that by the end of each story, you would have 200 hours of content, none of which is the exact same as the other class.

Or, do you believe there might be 20 hours of unique content... and about 180 hours of generic quest hub content that is shared by the entire faction?

* and for a comment actually on topic - I see nothing wrong with the TOR graphics.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am sure they have improved them from a year ago,but they are nothing to brag  about.The texture is still low end ,there is not one sign of shader use anywhere and lighting looks really done cheap.The characters clothing still looks like ancient console graphics,eq2 puts swtor to shame in this respect and eq2 is ancient tech.I actually find that ffxi using real low tech has better looking clothing with alot more detail and ffxi is a very old game engine,using real low end graphics.

Sorry but swtor is not going for anything hi end or high tech as a matter of fact,it barely makes it as being average.There is not a single hi res texture used.The gun  fire since they are using hi tech lazers ,should have some sort of knockback or some indication they are getting hit  ,expecially since the character is wearing next to nothing for defense.There should be a sort of side to side motion to show the player is getting hit,instead they added zero for extra animations ,only the death animation.

They also made sure to keep the polys down with very little use of coulour,there is a common theme in first map,greyish.brown.green.

The animation is ok for looking proper,but it has very little realism as it looks to be one dimensional.There is nothing that moves on the character ,example clothing moving or breathing nothing realistic.Also the animation looks blocky when turning ,it only looks normal when moving in a straight line.

IMO this being a very well known IP needed to go that extra step,this is a game that SHOULD have used destructive surfaces.This game using such low end tech ,could have easily pulled it off,but instead it is quite obviouis they are going the easy ,cheaper route for developing this game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I know classes will be doing some of the same stuff or playing with one another.  So in response to Fadis, maybe a bit of both.   But if the 200+ hour thing is true, especially for each of the classes, yea.....thats a LOT of game. 

If you were to decide to play through the entire story of two classes solo - smuggler and trooper, for example - and you were to ignore time spent trying to solo flashpoints or group quests... you believe that by the end of each story, you would have 200 hours of content, none of which is the exact same as the other class.

Or, do you believe there might be 20 hours of unique content... and about 180 hours of generic quest hub content that is shared by the entire faction?

It will be very different for the class quests. Not the open world quests and bonus quests. Now if you go smuggler then bounty hunter. There would be no quests the same at all.

The devs had a post about the three chapters of the bounty hunter. And that based on your choices in chapter one, you would end up on a different planet for chapter two than another bounty hunter. So even in the same class, the 200 hours can be different.

But this is off topic and not about graphics. Graphics are hand crafted and I think will be a great setting for SW. But on par with the best out there is very subjective and can not be proven in any way. It is personal taste and opinion, so I will just leave it there.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

* and for a comment actually on topic - I see nothing wrong with the TOR graphics.

Beats me.  Seriously I cant imagine its 200 hours of pure individual content per class.  I have to assume if they're saying 200+ hours for each class, that has to include everything.  Group quests, killing mobs, PvP maybe.  All of it. 

So how much unique class content?  I have no idea.  My best guess?  80 hours?  50?  Something around there.  Heck it could be more.  But I doubt it. 

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Beats me.  Seriously I cant imagine its 200 hours of pure individual content per class.  I have to assume if they're saying 200+ hours for each class, that has to include everything.  Group quests, killing mobs, PvP maybe.  All of it. 

So how much unique class content?  I have no idea.  My best guess?  80 hours?  50?  Something around there.  Heck it could be more.  But I doubt it. 

nice you doubt something you never played :) wait until it releases. one you dont know how much content  you have wait until you play it 2. it has alot of content i read up on it and they work hard on it and it has tons of content to doubt a game you never played thats nice unless you in beta you dont know :P. well play the game if you doubt it. if not dont play it ether way i am going to enjoy it .