Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR has some of the best graphics for an MMO out there

Comments

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

i can agree that the environment in tor is nice. characters look like ass. but like some have said, lotro has the same issue. but tbh, for a game thats gonna b released soon, i have to say i feel they could have done better with the graphics. but i suppose they want to cater to lower end comps to get more subs. some people forget that to really play aoc or aion and enjoy it to the fullest, u have to have a better than average rig. so those that dont say the game sux and bitch cus they cant play it without lag or high loading times. so tor went the wow route and made the game accessible to all average comps.

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

I just can't believe people think Aion and AOC have good graphics.

I have recently, and I mean within the past few weeks, played both to varying degrees of intensity at completely maxed graphics and thought they both really looked quite poor.

Perhaps it's only the higher level zones that have these "amazing" graphics? I just don't see it.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Graphics look alright but count me as another one who doesn't like the art style they used. I wished they would have gone for a Mass Effect look rather than clone wars.

+1

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by BadSpock
    I have recently, and I mean within the past few weeks, played both to varying degrees of intensity at completely maxed graphics and thought they both really looked quite poor.
    Perhaps it's only the higher level zones that have these "amazing" graphics? I just don't see it.

i have played tor at 1920x1080 res and the landscape is great but like i said, characters look horrible. AoC and aion on those setting r some of the best ive ever seen.
  • BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by silverreign

i have played tor at 1920x1080 res and the landscape is great but like i said, characters look horrible. AoC and aion on those setting r some of the best ive ever seen.

See, I think the AION landscape is just awful. And I mean totally and completely unacceptable awful.

AoC has much better environments, but the game has no "style" it's just all so bland and dark and repetitive. I guess that it is far more "realistic" but it's also boring for a video game IMO.

Both 1920x1080.

I'm sold on how characters move and react in TOR, but haven't seen enough yet to be sold on the customization and dialogue up-close aspects.

Space stuff is extremely beautiful and yes the environments I think are second to none.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

The comic book aesthetic I think works incredibly well for the subject matter.

Graphics are so subjective we are never going to find common ground with everyone. I can't believe the poster who couldn't see the beauty in AoC/LotRO and Aion, though in the latter I feel it's only character models that win on the art front, some environmental textures are incredibly bad. Each to their own :)

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by silverreign

i can agree that the environment in tor is nice. characters look like ass. but like some have said, lotro has the same issue. but tbh, for a game thats gonna b released soon, i have to say i feel they could have done better with the graphics. but i suppose they want to cater to lower end comps to get more subs. some people forget that to really play aoc or aion and enjoy it to the fullest, u have to have a better than average rig. so those that dont say the game sux and bitch cus they cant play it without lag or high loading times. so tor went the wow route and made the game accessible to all average comps.

How can you say that the character's look like ass, when in reality, they are on par with any of the other new games coming out.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

See, I think the AION landscape is just awful. And I mean totally and completely unacceptable awful.

AoC has much better environments, but the game has no "style" it's just all so bland and dark and repetitive. I guess that it is far more "realistic" but it's also boring for a video game IMO.

Both 1920x1080.

I'm sold on how characters move and react in TOR, but haven't seen enough yet to be sold on the customization and dialogue up-close aspects.

Space stuff is extremely beautiful and yes the environments I think are second to none.

The Aion landscape is bad, with an odd mix of high texture and low texture environments. However, its character models are without a doubt among the very best, very refined and subtle in detail, up to the facial details and animations. You might not like the Asian style of character design, but Aion still has some of the best character graphics in MMO's around.

As for AoC, I don't like all the graphics design and style, but there's no denying that its graphics are in the top of MMO graphics. Just watching the combat animation and finishing moves or sightseeing Old Tarantia or Khitai is imo proof enough of this. Besides, the more blunt, grittier and non-Asian style of its graphics design fits Conan's world of Hyboria.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

The character models look pretty good imo.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Originally posted by Atlan99

They look amazing.

• Sourd420Sourd420 Member Posts: 63

Id like to know if these screens where taken with 6970x2 or what ever Nvidias High end card is so that people above are like see good graphics. same goes with Landscapes.

BUT LETS HOPE THAT ITS A FALSITY. And that is just mid grade card shots ( which i doubt)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by keithian

After watching the latest videos, I am convinced that Bioware has improved the environments 100% from just a year ago, including the animations. When I watch the first 30-45 seconds of the video below and focus on the environments, there is not one game out there that matches it in my opinion. Very detailed and perfect for the Star Wars Universe we are looking for.  I'm not talking about the game play which I think has to show case two of the worst players in MMO history lol, just the enviroments. Now I haven't tried FInal Fantasy because I knew what a disaster that was going to be, but even if the artistry is not your thing the ambiance they have created is top notch...especially considering this is not the final build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRnXws_37xs&hd=1

Updated:

This video is easier on the eyes because a turd isn't playing it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMbI30KKJ0

Thats not really saying much because mmorpg graphics are very sub par.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

Too bad the Warrior class' mana stuff is called RAGE. How creative is Bioware these days, eh?

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

Originally posted by Precusor

They look amazing.

screenshots always do.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Myself i like the gfx alot maybe they dont use the most heavy tech out their at the moment but their style is realy nice and the cartoon look will show less age in the future than games that go for a realistic gfx.

Also its important that a mmo runs smooth and is using a smooth engine games like eq 2 did already prove that best gfx isnt always a good point . People that compair it to wow need to have their heads checked since its not comparable at all . Yeh they also are going for the cartoon style but its a big upgrade to wow. 

World of warcraft also does have a great art style in my eyes and even with their low end engine it can still be a very taxing game in raids , also with the new settings like ultra water / shadows alot of systems struggle with it  .

For me its very important that a game runs smooth even with my new gtx 580 i come across mmos that stutter or just run bad because they did go for to realistic gfx or just a bad engine.

( English isnt the best so dont judge me on it .)

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

Originally posted by musicmann

How can you say that the character's look like ass, when in reality, they are on par with any of the other new games coming out.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

They are definitely not "on a par" with most of the newly released and soon-to-be-released MMOs. The characters look like they are moulded from plastic, caricatures in tight pants. (Ever notices that there are only 3 looks in the game - spandex pants, hard armour leggings, and long robes?)

Originally posted by LizardEgypt

Too bad the Warrior class' mana stuff is called RAGE. How creative is Bioware these days, eh?

You find tropes in every game, especially if you are looking for it and only want to focus on similarities while bluntly ignoring all the differences image

Originally posted by nerovipus32

They look amazing.

screenshots always do.

Nonsense. If that were the case, then some people wouldn't be complaining about graphics since 'screenshots always look amazing' according to you.

Graphics have been improving and look a lot crispier, as screenshots and footage shows. Whether the graphics are to someone's liking is a matter of personal and differing taste.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

No, it's just disgusting that in a game based off one of the most popular and fleshed out lore-bases in entertainment history.. BioWare would choose to make everything so 'familiar' to non Star Wars related franchises.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

You find tropes in every game, especially if you are looking for it and only want to focus on similarities while bluntly ignoring all the differences image

They look amazing.

screenshots always do.

Nonsense. If that were the case, then some people wouldn't be complaining about graphics since 'screenshots always look amazing' according to you.

Graphics have been improving and look a lot crispier, as screenshots and footage shows. Whether the graphics are to someone's liking is a matter of personal and differing taste.

well if you think those screenshots are straight out of game and not anyway altered then i guess you are right.

well if you think those screenshots are straight out of game and not anyway altered then i guess you are right.

I'm saying that your statement that screenshots always look fantastic with the implication that they're forged isn't true, that was all I was saying. I've seen enough ingame footage and screenshots to have a measure of how the ingame graphics look with the current builds. My opinion regarding those, environments and character models, I already gave earlier in this thread.

No, it's just disgusting that in a game based off one of the most popular and fleshed out lore-bases in entertainment history.. BioWare would choose to make everything so 'familiar' to non Star Wars related franchises.

Shrug. Like I said, it's purely how you look at things. Other people see more familiarity with a KOTOR or CoX, again others with WoW or some third game. It's human nature to see similarities. That doesn't mean that SWTOR won't be its own distinctive flavor and have its own unique and typical world atmosphere that becomes even more evident as soon as people start playing for a longer time.

Then again, opinions differ, to some people all themepark MMO's will never be more than as good as a carbon copy of WoW, so who knows, for some people that opinion will never change however long they might play in SWTOR or not.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

They look amazing.

screenshots always do.

Well i did get my first hands on at gamescom this weekend but it did indeed look like the screenshots .

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

SWTOR's graphics look good to people who played WoW for X number of years. SWTOR, in REALITY, has some HORRIBLE graphics.

HOWEVER, Environment && Artstyle =/= Graphics. Their ENVIRONMENTS are simply cool looking, but the ARTSTYLE && GRAPHICS are WoW standardized, just updated.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

SWTOR's graphics look good to people who played WoW for X number of years. SWTOR, in REALITY, has some HORRIBLE graphics.

HOWEVER, Environment && Artstyle =/= Graphics. Their ENVIRONMENTS are simply cool looking, but the ARTSTYLE && GRAPHICS are WoW standardized, just updated.

That's your opinion, which I think is wrong and incorrect or at least contested.

For one, I played AoC, Aion, Rift and LotrO, and I still think that SWTOR in REALITY has awesome graphics, easily some of the best around.

At least when it comes to environment graphics. Regarding character models, I'm less impressed and just like with LotrO I find that the character models can't keep up with the environment graphics in stunning impressiveness.

Regarding 'WoW standardized' statement, no idea what made you say that, but since I already found your reasoning very subjective and flawed imo, I disagree with that one as well. You might as well say that SWTOR's style resembled CoX more and be equally right image

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Here is what i know about tor graphics. Every preview i have read the last yr talks about how awesome the graphics in this game are. So im sorry ill believe them before i believe some body who trashes tor alwys or who goes off some video thats shaky.

All in game footage and screenshots ive seen look awesome. Ive played more then wow. I actually like stylized graphics or realism anyday.

I like my comic books That said people who have played ths game the majority love teh graphics.

• likwidsagelikwidsage Member UncommonPosts: 90

Originally posted by keithian

Originally posted by likwidsage

The graphics dont look any better than star trek online imo.

Star Trek Online is an instanced piece of crap and even with that their graphics can't compare.

Well to be fair the character models don't look bad and might even be comparable.

However the environments are not even close. STO ground and planet environments are terrible compared to SWTOR.

What I was referring to, also. While I completely agree (probably feel more strongly about it than most) that STO is complete utter crap, the character models are in the same league. The environments...not so much...

The art style is much better in SWTOR, but graphics don't seem all the impressive compared to newer mmos.