Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR has some of the best graphics for an MMO out there

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by VoIgore

Are there any changing weather or environment conditions like i.e. fog moving in, sandstorms, snowfall etc.? Is the skybox dynamic with moving clouds or moons? I also haven't seen any nighttime videos, is there any sort of day/nightcycle on the planets?

Just curious :)

The game does not have day/night cycles to date. I heard snowfall/snowstorms are present on certain planets like Hoth, and other planets like Tatooine should have sandstorms. The degree to how large/visually constricting such storms are is unknown. I am uncertatain on the skybox elements.

I like the game's graphics, but those huge male toons (and some other style features) will be annoying me for some time. Maybe at release that'll change for me :)

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Distopia

Sure when it comes to bells and whistles TOR has them, but it's hardly the best. I realize you're not saying they are, just some of the best. Which is a totally subjective opinion that depends on graphical as well as artistic taste.

I personally feel AOC tops them by far in most departments, from realism to artisticstyling which AOC has a good mix of both IMO. I also like the look of GW2 a little more, as well as TSW and Tera (minus the giant swords). I still think TOR is well done graphically as well as in it's art direction.

I agree about AoC. Even the upcoming games still can't compare to AoC graphics and animations.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

are you kidding op?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Raxeon

are you kidding op?

Stop trolling unless you have something interesting to say. I wouldn't have created the OP if I didn't believe in what I wrote. All I can say is that most playing the game of UNFINISHED builds are giving high marks to the graphics and environments.

There Is Always Hope!

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

You know the one of the many things that annoys me about this game is the stagnet and poorly scripted MOB AI's.   It is horrible in this game.  

Originally posted by Teala

You know the one of the many things that annoys me about this game is the stagnet and poorly scripted MOB AI's.   It is horrible in this game.  

It's horrible for all MMOs. The best enemy AI for an mmo was in a now defunct mmo (Tabula Rasa).

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by DJJazzy

It's horrible for all MMOs. The best enemy AI for an mmo was in a now defunct mmo (Tabula Rasa).

Even as a fan of the game I agree with this. I also agree it pertains to all MMOs which is why right now I'm loving Elder Scrolls Oblivion, but this is also off topic.

There Is Always Hope!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Is the OP referring to environment modeling and character art?  Lighting and visual-fx?  General presentation?  Rendering technology?

It would be easier to comment if I understood what about the videos is found to be so impressive.

When I think of "graphics" I tend to refer to general improvements and application of modern rendering technology, things like shader effects, water fx, lighting-shadowing, haze, god-rays etc.  Frankly, I see very little in these vids that looks anything more than circa 2008 D3D 9c rendering.

Not bashing.  I guess I'm missing the point.

Maybe a more clear way to ask this.  Is it the models and artwork in the game that is so good, or the way the engine renders the artwork and special effects?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by keithian

Even as a fan of the game I agree with this. I also agree it pertains to all MMOs which is why right now I'm loving Elder Scrolls Oblivion, but this is also off topic.

I haven't made up my mind yet since I haven't seen any real higher level gaming footage where the real differences will show.  Even the Dev Walkthrough of Tatooine they said they had purposely dumbed it down in order to more easily show off the game.  I will say that some enemies running for cover is VERY nice though.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 571

tbh i think only lineage 2 had good graphics, they were natural and the world felt alive, all new mmos looks overly 3d and cartoony with 0 true hard edges, i cant feel that i am inside such a world

Originally posted by Wolfy2449

tbh i think only lineage 2 had good graphics, they were natural and the world felt alive, all new mmos looks overly 3d and cartoony with 0 true hard edges, i cant feel that i am inside such a world

Don't lie, you just liked it because of the female dark elves.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 571

Not interested in females therefore never cared about female models xD, and i always use male models xD, that male wizard with semi-long hair were so cute, especially when i spammed prominence...ah memories

But honestly, only world i fell truly inside was lineage 2, the colors were alive and beautiful and very REALISTIC, the world felt real, the characters had fast animations like you were the character, there was no moment where you dont have control of the character because you are making a 2 second casting animation...

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Not interested in females therefore never cared about female models xD, and i always use male models xD, that male wizard with semi-long hair were so cute, especially when i spammed prominence...ah memories

But honestly, only world i fell truly inside was lineage 2, the colors were alive and beautiful and very REALISTIC, the world felt real, the characters had fast animations like you were the character, there was no moment where you dont have control of the character because you are making a 2 second casting animation...

I totally agree about the world of Lineage 2. It feels real and if it feels real you will get immersed into the world. Only game I see with that type of world design is ArcheAge and I think its being made by the guy who created Lineage. And yes I am a level 84 Lineage 2 player. 

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146

As far as I've seen there is some extreme disparity in the enviroments. Some of the urban areas look amazing and detailed, but many others look empty and dead. But can't really conclude much until trying the game out.

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

Originally posted by keithian

After watching the latest videos, I am convinced that Bioware has improved the environments 100% from just a year ago, including the animations. When I watch the first 30-45 seconds of the video below and focus on the environments, there is not one game out there that matches it in my opinion. Very detailed and perfect for the Star Wars Universe we are looking for.  I'm not talking about the game play which I think has to show case two of the worst players in MMO history lol, just the enviroments. Now I haven't tried FInal Fantasy because I knew what a disaster that was going to be, but even if the artistry is not your thing the ambiance they have created is top notch...especially considering this is not the final build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRnXws_37xs&hd=1

Updated:

This video is easier on the eyes because a turd isn't playing it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMbI30KKJ0

There was actually nothing wrong with the environment models a year ago.. it was, and still is the art style of the character/npc models and armor that are bothering people. They are passable but it looks like wow is meeting clone wars head on for a saturday morning cartoon gank fest and my inner 12 year old boy is cheering with glee.. But the grown up in me says "meh.. they look dumb"

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Really graphics is not the strong point in SWTOR.

The best graphics for an MMO out there? I fail to see that.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Metentso

Really graphics is not the strong point in SWTOR.

The best graphics for an MMO out there? I fail to see that.

actually there are games that have been out for a while now that have better graphics, as stylised graphics go, its probably no worse than WoW's stylised graphics, which.. many people are happy with..  and given that the games graphics are not just similar to, but, almost entirely identical to those of the clone wars cartoon, im kind of wondering what age group the game is aimed at specifically, undoubtedly, the graphics will be appealing to the younger gamer, and .. tolerable to the more mature player, but hardly something to rave about, and... given the number of games releasing within the next year, its entirely probable that compared to these, the graphics in SW;TOR might even appear to be slightly dated. image

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

They look ok, but not even close to what AoC can offer (only talking about graphics here!).

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by busdriver

They look ok, but not even close to what AoC can offer (only talking about graphics here!).

I prefer AoC realistic style graphics myself, but the quality of SWToR graphics is extremely high in the video. The animation needs to be worked on. Animation is the weakest link that I see so far.  

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

When it comes to real-life looking graphics, nothing can touch Battlefield 3. Simply amazing.

That being said, I never liked the graphics of AoC/Vanguard/LOTRO/Rift simply because things didn't quite look right.

There is an interesting research project that was done in Japan that compared people's physiological reactions to looking at faces of humans, robot-looking robots, and robots emulating human faces.

I'd consider video game faces in the "robots emulating human faces" category.

People looking at real human faces and robot-looking robot faces had very normal phsiological reaction in their brains.

People looking at near-human robot faces had some weird stuff going on in their brains.

Point is, when something tries to go the "life like" route and isn't quite there... it triggers something in our brains that tells us "that isn't right" and make it awkward / uncomfortable.

I much prefer stylized graphics like WoW/TOR/GW2 until we can get the technology/speed to run actual life-like graphics not that quasi-life like garbage that never looks quite right and really destroys my enjoyment of a game.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Actually, considering its poly count and texture detail, SWTOR's environment graphics look pretty stellar, easily better than most other MMO's and on par with the best, as examples as these show:

The character models are improved, though they're still rather ok than awesome, and nowhere near  AoC's or Aion's character graphics.

In this, SWTOR is kind of like LotrO, the environment graphics are superb but in contrast the character models of both MMO's are ok and 'good enough', but nowhere near astonishing.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454

Originally posted by Distopia

Sure when it comes to bells and whistles TOR has them, but it's hardly the best. I realize you're not saying they are, just some of the best. Which is a totally subjective opinion that depends on graphical as well as artistic taste.

I personally feel AOC tops them by far in most departments, from realism to artisticstyling which AOC has a good mix of both IMO. I also like the look of GW2 a little more, as well as TSW and Tera (minus the giant swords). I still think TOR is well done graphically as well as in it's art direction.

I think the way they went with the graphics was to mimic WoW in that they wanted their game to be playable on a wide variety of machines and still look decent for years to come.  WoW's graphics have never been great but their art style has often been fairly impressive and the game itself has held up well over its lifetime, esp. compared to others released around the same time.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Ginaz

they wanted their game to be playable on a wide variety of machines and still look decent for years to come.  WoW's graphics have never been great but their art style has often been fairly impressive and the game itself has held up well over its lifetime, esp. compared to others released around the same time.

Exactly.

In a couple of years the graphics of games like AOC/Aion/Vanguard will look like garbage (I already think they do) but games like WoW/TOR/GW2 will still retain their "charm"

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

Personally it doesnt matter to me that the game has good graphics for an MMO, the style in which they exicute it just doesnt interest me that much. Will that keep me from trying it? probubly not.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

The character models are improved, though they're still rather ok than awesome, and nowhere near  AoC's or Aion's character graphics.

In this, SWTOR is kind of like LotrO, the environment graphics are superb but in contrast the character models of both MMO's are ok and 'good enough', but nowhere near astonishing.

I agree with you on the environments.  They are very well done and some of the best I've ever seen in a game, not just an MMO.  I disagree with the character models, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OskRij8AYaU

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.