Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR has some of the best graphics for an MMO out there

Comments

• yoshimutuyoshimutu Member Posts: 10

I think it's a little arrogant to just come up and say it has the best graphics. For a cartoony artstyle they've done extremely well. But best graphics out of any MMO? that goes to GW2 and AOC imho...

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Originally posted by Atlan99

Originally posted by Painlezz

I could show you some WoW screenshots that you wouldn't believe...

Point?  Gotta see the real game, how it really plays, and see if they made EVERYTHING good.  Rather than just a few select areas for use in promotions.

Let's see them. Here's two while I wait.

imageimage

Is this a fail troll attempt?  Posting horrid screenshots on low quality settings?  Please kind sir, what is your game of choice and I shall return the favor!  BTW I don't play wow.  Just really enjoy the anti-wow this site has and the flames that rise up when it comes into discussion.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by yoshimutu

I think it's a little arrogant to just come up and say it has the best graphics. For a cartoony artstyle they've done extremely well. But best graphics out of any MMO? that goes to GW2 and AOC imho...

"Some of the best" the title says.

I do agree, it has some of the best graphics out there for a mmo, regardless if you like the artstyle or not. I'm blessed to like most of the artstyles games come up with, and dont really care if it's cartoony or something else, as long as it's not neon-rainbow-coloured, and as long as the graphics quality can be pulled high enough. Effects matter a lot too, and TOR seems to have quite nice particle stuff for blaster bolts, force lightning etc.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Are there any changing weather or environment conditions like i.e. fog moving in, sandstorms, snowfall etc.? Is the skybox dynamic with moving clouds or moons? I also haven't seen any nighttime videos, is there any sort of day/nightcycle on the planets?

Just curious :)

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Atlan99

Point?  Gotta see the real game, how it really plays, and see if they made EVERYTHING good.  Rather than just a few select areas for use in promotions.

Let's see them. Here's two while I wait.

imageimage

Is this a fail troll attempt?  Posting horrid screenshots on low quality settings?  Please kind sir, what is your game of choice and I shall return the favor!  BTW I don't play wow.  Just really enjoy the anti-wow this site has and the flames that rise up when it comes into discussion.

Let me get this straight.

You don't play WoW but could post some screenshots that I wouldn't believe. Yet choose not to.

Your the one who brought up Wow in the first place. This is why I posted screenshots of Wow. 

The burden of proof is upon you, since you made the claim.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

really looking forward to these wow screens!!!!

/incoming 3d cinematic snippets

edit: although searching for a 1 in a billion single screen... show me a video of WoW that makes it look graphically superior to all... since we're in a thread displaying a video... since when do we battle videos with screen shots? Doesn't seem fair.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

The environments and buildings in ToR looks absolutely stunning.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by C0MA

Why even bother with the comparison. WoW is 8(?) years old now. Oh, right, it's a thread on MMORPG.com where every topic that gets beyond one page will have some sort of derail involving WoW.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

OK, this is an even better video if you focus on the environments and the graphical detail. I'm not as distracted by the turd playing like in the first video lol. Love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMbI30KKJ0

There Is Always Hope!

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Originally posted by Zookz1

Originally posted by C0MA

Why even bother with the comparison. WoW is 8(?) years old now. Oh, right, it's a thread on MMORPG.com where every topic that gets beyond one page will have some sort of derail involving WoW.

No one mentioned it until one guy who was upset that swtor had a video displaying good graphics brought it up stating he could show us screens of WoW that are incredible... the way he said it is he would find wow images that are better than swtor... if someone makes this claim ... I then have the right to request it be fullfilled.

So you should probably direct that comment towards who started the wow stuff... I'm just a spectator waiting for this glorious visual spectacle.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

planets wont have day nite cycles according to the devs. Im assuming sandstorms and stuff as yes based on what ive heard from the devs but can remember exactly,. They perfered to do it so that it had no day nite cycle at launch at least. 

They stated why but i dont remember there reason. Something to do with amount of images they had to create for them to have day nite cycle i belive but dont quote me as im not sure.

Originally posted by kalinis

planets wont have day nite cycles according to the devs. Im assuming sandstorms and stuff as yes based on what ive heard from the devs but can remember exactly,. They perfered to do it so that it had no day nite cycle at launch at least. 

They stated why but i dont remember there reason. Something to do with amount of images they had to create for them to have day nite cycle i belive but dont quote me as im not sure.

I wont even notice. RIght now as I'm playing Oblvion, unless I have a quest that requires the night, I just rest and speed it up for the day so the vendor shops are all open. The only thing I like about day and night cycles is how pretty it looks when the sun sets and rises :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

More to do with the stories. You will see day/night/sunset/dawn......whatever, but it will be for the story. So no actual cycle, but areas of the planets will be set in different times.

So you will see changes and weather, but not on an actuall cycle or timer.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• StorchedStorched Member Posts: 42

Please don't... It would be like trying to compare Bea Arthur to Jessica Alba.

• PeetRockPeetRock Member Posts: 7

lots of poeple are blind and can't think straight becuase its SWTOR!!! WOOOWW!!!!! the graphics is nothing that will blow ur MIND!!! it has good graphics but best? plz.... (im not hating im definitly playing it) also p.s i hate how the guy walks...am i the only one that thinks this way? the character walks like he shit his pants and has heels on

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Except for ArcheAge running on the CryEngine 3.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Hard to disguise bad animation.  Tor looks stiff IMO.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Graphic quality I think is very good. Artistic style I do not prefer. Simple as that.

Will I play it? Nope. World of Warcraft's cartoon art style ruined me (also EQ2, LotRO's horrid character models/animations even if it has a great world, Wurm Online's great environment and absolute terrible character "clones", etc.)

I want as a customer... no, as a customer and player I demand... an artistic style in the MMORPG I play that stresses realism with character modeling, animations, and the ingame virtual world. I want it to look and feel like a believable world while I play. Artistic Realism equals believability to me. I say "demand" because I won't open my wallet if it isn't the way I like it.

Is that Selfish? Sure is... much about MMO gaming is selfish whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

I expect a Star Wars MMO to look artistically real life as much as possible, even more so than other MMOs. SW:TOR doesn't to me.

This all comes down to personal preferences.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I think the game looks great but I would have loved to see a more Mass Effect style too. Funny thing is that they guy is just running around alone with bullets flying everwhere even hitting him but its seems like its just nonthing. 

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by keithian

OK, this is an even better video if you focus on the environments and the graphical detail. I'm not as distracted by the turd playing like in the first video lol. Love it!

Turd? Bah I like Total Biscuit, he's honest and cracks me up! Anyways thanks for the link, I saw his last video but didn't know he had done another SW:TOR video.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I wont even notice. RIght now as I'm playing Oblvion, unless I have a quest that requires the night, I just rest and speed it up for the day so the vendor shops are all open. The only thing I like about day and night cycles is how pretty it looks when the sun sets and rises :-)

I believe most people never even notice Day / Night cycles unless something in the game forces them too.  In my most recent attempt at playing WoW I spent over thirty hours playing and yet never even realised it until almost the very end.  I mentioned it in a particular guild active time and of about a dozen people talking at the time, only three had noticed it.  The rest were completely surprised.  One guy even accused me of lying because he had never actively seen it happen except in cutscene's.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by Unshra

Turd? Bah I like Total Biscuit, he's honest and cracks me up! Anyways thanks for the link, I saw his last video but didn't know he had done another SW:TOR video.

lol, I'm not talking about Total Biscuit, his video was great. The first one I posted, I mean...really? lol

There Is Always Hope!

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Sure when it comes to bells and whistles TOR has them, but it's hardly the best. I realize you're not saying they are, just some of the best. Which is a totally subjective opinion that depends on graphical as well as artistic taste.

I personally feel AOC tops them by far in most departments, from realism to artisticstyling which AOC has a good mix of both IMO. I also like the look of GW2 a little more, as well as TSW and Tera (minus the giant swords). I still think TOR is well done graphically as well as in it's art direction.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

Originally posted by GMan3

I believe most people never even notice Day / Night cycles unless something in the game forces them too.  In my most recent attempt at playing WoW I spent over thirty hours playing and yet never even realised it until almost the very end.  I mentioned it in a particular guild active time and of about a dozen people talking at the time, only three had noticed it.  The rest were completely surprised.  One guy even accused me of lying because he had never actively seen it happen except in cutscene's.

I agree. I think it will be the same as swimming. Id like it, but I won't even notice it when Im playing.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by stayontarget

Hard to disguise bad animation.  Tor looks stiff IMO.

Duh! This is not about animations, this was about graphics. Try staying on topic.

There Is Always Hope!