Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Totalbiscuit Compares GW2 and SW:TOR

Comments

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Kalfer

Btw, there are no pre-mades in GW2. Everyone gets buffed up to 80, gets the same level of armor and weapons. No pre-mades. Read up on the game. 

Nothing more then a tight knit group of friends likes being told is that they can not group. It will be in GW2 like it or not. It will eb there because the demand will be that great,

Also who exactly do you guys think you are attracting to GW2? This is not that little Guild Wars community where everyone knows everyone. You are attracting the EQ/WoW/Rift/Aion/SWToR crowd who are the exact people YOU HATE and guess what they will want. The exact stuff you guys hate.

Like I said 8 months out it is impossible to debate anything GW2. SWToR is easier because it is much closer to release and we know the basic core of the game.

What are you talking about? 

One of your problems is that you are in this stupid me versus them. Why would I, or anyone else hate anyone else? Everyone here are gamers. Just because a lot of people are sick of playing games that are similar to World of Warcraft or Call of Duty(because they have played them too much over the years) it does not mean they dislike people who do.

Clueless and uneducated people are everywhere. They are in Guild Wars 2. Since GW1 came out in 05, there have been people who wished to turn it into free 2 play WoW. 

If you watch the presentations you can see that, they have stated OVER and OVER and OVER again since the announcement in 07, that it will be just like GW1 in this regard. No grind. 

What GW has always had was optional grind. There was always goals for those that wanted those things, but they were not grind that allowed more powerful equipment. It was so, so everyone could be on an equal footing. It's basically the foundation of guild wars.

Less time waste and time dependency, and more skill!

If TB wanted to seem legit and not just a tool this is how the convo should have gone:

TB: so I see this gear has stats on it in GW2..does that mean as more content is released there will be more gear released with better stats?

GW2 dev: of course we are not stupid we have to give people a reason to want to do the content

TB: Well fuck that I hate gear grind QQ

See the hypocrisy. It is a gear grind just in a different form. The game is 8 months out so it is hard to say how it will work exactly, but it will be there.

legit? Seriously?

Your making up a talk in you head, and this online person is not valid unless he shares your crazy ideas about reality?

Originally posted by Erstok

How can this idiot say ToR is a traditional MMO. GW2 is gonna play just like WoW more then it will be like GW1 (which was boring as hell). Quite honestly both games are gonna share lot of the same core game mechanics. Only real difference is story lines and the general themes. Where can I buy these drugs at, I wanna know what gamers are smoking these days cause they seem like bigger tools/fools then past gamers.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA,

Seriously. HA!

Bioware themselves have stated that TOR is a instantly familiar title. It's absolutely 100% like other hotkey MMOs. 

And GW2 is not. So there. I don't need to prove it to you, because it's the truth.

And so what? Lots of people love and still play WoW (over 11 million people in fact) and they will be happy to play anything star wars. Why not just admit it? 

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

GW2 disappointed me, I was excited until I actually saw the game in action. He has a video playing the game.

It looks ATTROCIOUS.

Character selection looks like some unfinished Photoshop....thing...I don't even knwo how to discribe this:

Characters themselves look hidious to me, even though the GW1 actually looked ok.

The game itself, I don't even know what I was looking at, it's one big blurry mess:

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

I'm starting to think I may like TOR more. Why? It seems that in every GW2 or TOR thread, some douchebag GW2 fan makes it a "GW2 is better" thread. I know every game has it's douchebags but the GW2 community is starting to look like the WoW community. Fuck that.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

By the way, you can easily test the rolling around in Dragons Nest (without tab-targeting though) and see if you like it, since it is free2play.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by CalmOceans

GW2 disappointed me, I was excited until I actually saw the game in action. He has a video playing the game.

It looks ATTROCIOUS.

Character selection looks like some unfinished Photoshop....thing...I don't even knwo how to discribe this:

-snip- <char selection screen.img>

Characters themselves look hidious to me, even though the GW1 actually looked ok.

-snip- <charr "with costume hat" screen.img>

The game itself, I don't even know what I was looking at, it's one big blurry mess:

-snip- <blurry mess screen.img>

I completely disagree with the char selection screen: love the stylized silhouettes. : ) like paint-brush strokes. Much more impressive generic race selection screen: Race, size/shape are the main factors, right?

Ok that condom that charr is wearing is very odd!

The streaming really does not help. I'm dead impressed with the visual information conveyed by the skills. As others pointed out the running speed felt a little slow but at least controlled and the bunny hopping etc movement boosts/dodge were irksome to watch. But more than anything the streaming low-grade video footage is to blame as well as stuttering when live! too.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

If TB wanted to seem legit and not just a tool this is how the convo should have gone:

TB: so I see this gear has stats on it in GW2..does that mean as more content is released there will be more gear released with better stats?

GW2 dev: of course we are not stupid we have to give people a reason to want to do the content

TB: Well fuck that I hate gear grind QQ

See the hypocrisy. It is a gear grind just in a different form. The game is 8 months out so it is hard to say how it will work exactly, but it will be there.

Stop nit picking words out of context.

There will be no gear grind in guild wars 2, at max lvl the stats even out with lots of gear and all that is left is the looks.

You go get a weapon for the looks, also there is no random drops, when you do dungeons you get tokens, which makes it much better from a gear grind roulete perspective to a "i do this 3 times and get my full set"

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

if guild wars is a huge success it will kill monthly subscriptions, why pay more for a lower quality game.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Benthon

... Like premades do vs pugs in any game?

You keep jumping from one topic to the next to downplay Totalbiscuit's review. He loved them both, so stop being a lugnut. His personal (OPINION) favorite doesn't mean the other isn't as good.

lulz you guys did it all the time to every article that was positive about Rift. Sucks when it is your game huh? TB already clearly stated he hates games with gear grinds. SWToR will have that. After they release a content addition it will be another tier of raiding and TADA there is the treadmill.

GW2 is supposed to be basically handing out the gear and running on the hope that the dynamic content will be good enough for people who are anti social by nature to want to bother even showing up to do. GW2 is essentially removing the "carrot" and seeing what will happen.

"You did it so I can do it too!" argument is just assinine. I like RIFT and still promote the game when I can. Your assessment of GW2's outcome is shortsighted at best.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by nerovipus32

if guild wars is a huge success it will kill monthly subscriptions, why pay more for a lower quality game.

This has been my way of thinking for a while now. When I make this comment in soo many posts, however, it gets no responces. I have been asking what will justify a sub model if  a B2P model proves that the industry has been FOS for years. Only time will tell. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by CalmOceans

It looks ATTROCIOUS.

@1st screenshot

It's called "stylization" and they used concept arts in many places. Actually i find character creation very refreshing and prefer that to standard way of creating.

@2nd screenshot

This is charr so um, well you better check humans as youcan better see detail there. Also he has lvl 1 gear on him...Now, does SWTOr, tera, WoW have better looking level 1 set? No, they all suck xD [this GW2 charr set as well!]

@3rd screenshot, camera recording, not a direct feed, low quality resolution. That is all.

• korndog22korndog22 Member Posts: 62

I have read this alot also .Seems the critics echo the same thing about the 2 games.GW2 is probably the most innovative game to date , as far as breaking the mold from Traditional MMORPG's.While SWToR is very traditional (Similar to WoW/EQ type game play.Some Won't like GW2 because it is quite Different.While others won't like SWtOR because it feels very similar to all other MMORPG's.I would say that SWToR will have a good story ( hopefully one that captivates the masses).But In a article I read recently in a Magazine from a guy who got to play both.He claims that GW2 character developement ,and story based progression is absolutely amazing compared to anything he has ever seen.And claims after trying both (granted for a limited time) that he Puts GW2 as the only true Next Gen game on the market at release.I don't dislike SWToR.But after reading this same critique over and over from different professional critics I will have to stay away from SWToR.I wasn't a fan of GW1 .But GW2 looks like it is going to be the most advanced MMORPG at launch.We will see though.I know they both will do well.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by Kelthius

I'm starting to think I may like TOR more. Why? It seems that in every GW2 or TOR thread, some douchebag GW2 fan makes it a "GW2 is better" thread. I know every game has it's douchebags but the GW2 community is starting to look like the WoW community. Fuck that.

i been saying the same exact thing for a while now. I was stupidly excited about TOR and GW2, but witnessing the community in both....i am sticking with the "mature" group of TOR.....i am really starting to despise the GW2 fan base

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

If they release at the same time I'm definitely going with GW2.  I like the fact that they've abandoned the holy trinity and I simply like their game philosophy.  I can't imagine returning to a game that requires me to schedule my life around raids.  It's just an asinine concept and the worst thing to happen to gaming.  You should be able to log in whenever you want and have fun and experience the whole game.

I also like the idea of supporting companies that aren't out to milk you for money on subscsriptions, character transfers, ...

Give me new and compelling content and I'll buy it.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by miagisan

i been saying the same exact thing for a while now. I was stupidly excited about TOR and GW2, but witnessing the community in both....i am sticking with the "mature" group of TOR.....i am really starting to despise the GW2 fan base

Based on internet MMO forums where serious business happens? It's not really going to matter once you're in game because there's always a healthy population of douchebags in every MMO.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by Zookz1

Based on internet MMO forums where serious business happens? It's not really going to matter once you're in game because there's always a healthy population of douchebags in every MMO.

this is true....but since i read these forums and others i get a bit disheartened by the idiocey from both sides, but the GW2 fans seem to really get under my skin lately

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Zookz1

this is true....but since i read these forums and others i get a bit disheartened by the idiocey from both sides, but the GW2 fans seem to really get under my skin lately

Honest question though. is it the fans fault or the amount of bad information that's been going around? I happen to think that while on the surface it may appear the GW2 fans are always quick to fire back, you can also go back and read a majority is correcting wrong information. Not saying every single one mind you. But as a GW2 fan I read a lot of the threads there and this is usually what the thread turns into, not GW2 fan bashing everyone with a different opinion, though some do exactly that.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by DanMcC

What's a TotalBiscuit?

It's a huge biscuit.

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut#p/u/2/hHFDawfFVeI

Check at 10.16

Finally someone that explains the difference, and he seems quite possitive about both games...  Tough he has a personal favourite.

Comming from one of the most critical MMO reviewers, this tells a lot.

Some may have told you earlier, but TB isnt a reviewer of any kind, he states this every so often because people think he is. He simply gives you his first impressions of games, he doesnt review them.

• Rique9986Rique9986 Member Posts: 35

I think a lot of it comes down to support.  EA has/will have such a major influence on what Bioware can do and how fast they can respond to the playerbase where as GW2 really doesn't have this issue.  If you look back as to when Blizzard took a major dive in the crapper for many was right about the same time that Blizzard North and Activision started their buyout/merger/lovefest that changed the direction of the game to the point it drove even longtime supporters away.

At the end of the day, I see GW2 pulling many of the disenfranchised WoW/WoW clone players to their side of the fence.  Lets face it, most people that follow both games already have their minds made up to play one or the other...or both games.  The reall proof will be which manages to be on top in a year or more by building their base.  Sales of GW2 first expasion vrs. Biowares sup base will be the arguement we are having in a year or so.

• DLunaDLuna Member Posts: 90

Mature group? Have you been to the TOR official forums? IMO, GW Guru is far, far better in terms of community. That isn't even debatable.

This forum? You may have a point, but I really don't know. Both are probally as bad as eachother.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by Hedeon

as a end he couldnt have said it more clear SWToR = WoW(HIGHLY traditional were the word he used) with voice story  GW2 new and refreshing - tho can expect some people wont like that it have a more action game feel to its combat than most MMOs, which is why he seem to prefer GW2, because he like its combat, and it got a more free form quest objectives system than the current MMO standard

Actually he said SWTOR=KotOR w/ traditional MMO trappings.  

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Chimps

It would be great if both of these games took WoW down.

WoW is like a singer who can't sing. It would be great if someone with actual talent in singing could become more famous than that singer and make everyone forget about that singer who couldn't sing.

WoW is trash and doesn't deserve to be so famous.

Your trolling is amazing. Why do people want to see WoW fail? WoW is the reason MMO companies today try to set the bar higher than WoW. We have WoW to thank for that...