Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I too late?

NaxtorNaxtor Member Posts: 38

Just read about this game.  Been looking for a new game recently (have been offline for about 2 years).  Does experience play a big factor?  Are the servers ghost towns?

Comments

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

It depends on the time you play.  In the morning, you won't see a lot of action, but I would say at night maybe after 7pm CST you can find some decent battles that rage into the morning (say maybe 1-2 a.m. central time).

I played planetside a little myself when it released back in 03, but did not play a ton.

I have recently began playing it myself, I bought the pack off of direct2drive.com for like 10$, then signed up for a station pass which is 20$ a month.

The station pass grants access to all games owned by sony.  EQ,  EQ2, Vangaurd, Planetside, and a few other ones.  So if you were ever interested in them, the pass grants you access to all of them.

I myself have been playing some of EQ2 lately too, so the pass works well for me.

You don't need experience to play the game, it just takes a little to get used to.

It is nice however, that your characters can drop and get new certifications for the first 7 days they are active without penalty, so you can jump between being a MAX (big armor/weapons) to maybe an engineer, or medic, or hacker/engineer.

You can also get and drop vehical certifications after you try them and not like them.

I have met some friendly players too who have answered my questions.

You get go to "instant action" thats ports you to a "hot spot" where some fighting has been happening, you can walk/drive/fly to a "Broadcast Portal" and port over to an area.  Or you can take the HART and basically "drop in" wherever you choose.

You can get vehicals from bases you own, I mean get as in "spawn" them with the control panel.

So, it isn't a ghost town by any means, just if you play at maybe 7am in the morning, it might be more of a ghost town.

We Need More Players though definetly!

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• SchurfluffleSchurfluffle Member Posts: 7

When I log in I look for a good fight. If one isn't going I will do something else. Often there are good fights and it is great. I hear in the glory days it always had multiple great fights and queues to get in, but it is still good at times.

• bitclbitcl Member Posts: 3

I did not want to start a new thread on this, and since this thread is somewhat old I would like to ask about the life of this game. I played a bit off and on sometime ago and always found it to be enjoyable enough without having to put a lot of time into the game. When I was checking information on the game lately it seems that people are saying that the pop in the game is very unbalanced and low. People on the planetside fourms are talking about the game dieing off with planetside 2 around the corner. I guess I would like to know if they are correct or if like many games theses are just the people who always see the bad side of the game?

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by bitcl

I did not want to start a new thread on this, and since this thread is somewhat old I would like to ask about the life of this game. I played a bit off and on sometime ago and always found it to be enjoyable enough without having to put a lot of time into the game. When I was checking information on the game lately it seems that people are saying that the pop in the game is very unbalanced and low. People on the planetside fourms are talking about the game dieing off with planetside 2 around the corner. I guess I would like to know if they are correct or if like many games theses are just the people who always see the bad side of the game?

I played this past Friday and Saturday night, and the pops were decent. I dont think there is a fear of Population lock though. I enjoyed some good base defences and offences into the wee hours of the morning. I play as Vanu and that is usually the lower pop of the 3 so far.

I dont normally play it during the week, so I am not sure of how healthy the pop is then.

Work hard Play Harder

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 135

Did they crack down even harder on the hacking? Was a fun game till some one could lock on you and kill you from a mile away.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by moguy1

Did they crack down even harder on the hacking? Was a fun game till some one could lock on you and kill you from a mile away.

I had some bad experiences a few years ago with hackers, but I can honestly say that I have not seen any of it going on since this past weekend. I think many of the hackers left the game or perhaps Sony did enforce some of thier rules.

Of course I may have been just lucky.. but I have been in several pretty big bridge battles and Base defences where someone would have definately used hacks if they were able.

I think now that it is a single server and not several that the population has gotten a bit of a boost as well.

Work hard Play Harder

• BravixBravix Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by moguy1

Hacking isn't too huge of a problem anymore. It was pretty problamatic when they had the trial accounts and the whole fodderside program. They cut that out though, which means no more free accounts.

Believe it or not, people don't like to risk hacking while on their actual account :D However, there is still the occasional hacker. They typically get taken care of if someone reports them.