Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision CEO Wants Call Of Duty/Battlefield Trash-Talking Truce

2»

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by firefly2003

Originally posted by babac

Originally posted by Z3R01

Originally posted by babac

Trashtalk here and there, BF is far superior to any CoD game, there is not much to say here.

Honestly I havent played a Great CoD game since COD4: MW

all of these rush jobs once every year like CoD is fucking NFL Madden...

It screams money sink.

I just hope we dont see the same shit with BF francise now that it should overtake CoD this year.

It's a money grab. If BF3 performs well, i have no doubts that EA will adopt ACTIVISIONS model, of pumping out a game every year or so... it's EA after all ...

DICE has stated they won't adopt a yearly model....

Smedley, Gaute Godinger, NP Cube, etc. (as I really could go on) have all said many things...... 

What they say and what they do aren't always the same especially when taking that bottom line into consideration. 

• MasterChaosXMasterChaosX Member Posts: 52

Im just gonna stick to my COD4 and TF2.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by brutotal

Its good for the industry if it makes the world realize the 4rd incarnation of a reskinned cod4 shouldn't be worth money.

Hey!

It's not simple reskinning, damnit!.

They implemented changes to make the game features inferior to COD4 / MW1 in many different ways!  Get it right!

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I see there's talk about BF games (I won't speak of BC/Bad Company titles, IMO, they're not mainline BF games) and people questioning their difference with them compared to others in the FPS genre.

My reasons on what makes traditional BF games different and good (to me, at least.  Your mileage may vary, of course).

A. Infantry and vehicles in the same maps.  This alone is a major seperating factor from BF and many FPS titles.  You don't like vehicles?  Okay.  Believe it or not, there were servers in BF2 and BF2142 with "Infantry Only" options turned on.  I've done a few of those matches, too.  So I can have the glory of both infantry and vehicles, or pure infantry with the same game.  But it must be understood, infantry and vehicles in the same game is a major driving factor in traditional BF.  There's a joy to be had in flying a gunship, jet, tank, apc, jeep/HUMVEE, or whatever vehicle.  Or even be a crew member, or just simply riding one to a destination.  Then there's the joy of taking out a vehicle, both air and ground, most especially a transport full of enemy players.

B. Team-Based Play.  Not saying BF games have a monopoly on this.  But team-based play isn't exactly common in the FPS genre, either.  It's NOT about your killstreak.  You are also rewarded for actions that support your team: 

- Healing, rezzing, resupplying with ammo, repairing your side's vehicles or assets (radar stations, on-map artillery assets, etc) net you points for score / towards promotion and unlocks.  On a plus note, DICE implemented mechanics for suppression by fire, and that machinegunners can get points for keeping the enemy's heads down and suppressed.  In the older titles, machinegunners didn't receive points for doing that kind of job, but someone flanking and getting the killing shot / grenade toss / knife strike did.  With BF3, MGunners finally get points for doing their prime functions.  Makes it even better.

- Team Commanders - At the onset of a match, a player can fill in as a Team's Commander and can get access to the team's assets of UAVs, Artillery, Supply Drops, etc.  They're on cooldown timers after use, so the Cmdr must get a feel on what part of the team gets what kind of support.

- Squad Leaders - Members of a team can be a lone wolf, start a squad, or choose to become a member of a teammate's squad.  There's 2 major things that happen if you're leading or are in a squad.  Firstly, squad mates can choose to spawn at a regular capture point or with the squad leader (if he isn't dead or down awaiting a rez).  Secondly, Commands are a big factor (see next point).

- Issuing Commands - Traditional BF of course has the obligatory quick menu for spotting targets, warnings, etc.  But BF titles go further in that the Team Commander (Cmdr) and Squad Leaders (SLs) can issue commands for their members to follow.  The Cmdr can issue orders directly to the SL, and they can acknowledge whether they will comply with it (it makes sense) or not (crazy, suicidal orders).  The members of the squad then get an update on what the squad's task objective is.  It sounds complicated, but it's actually very fast and convenient, even without a mic.  It's even displayed on your minimap and compass.

- Command Points - So, BF has a fancy, schmancy system for issuing, accepting / denying, and following commands and orders.  So what?  What's in it for the guy to follow.  Simple, 2 things really.

1.  Helping your team out for victory (duh).

2.  Points towards promotion and unlocks.  As a squad member, you receive points for complying with orders, or support actions (resupply, rez, healing, kills) done in the vicinity of your squad objectives.  You may not get points for lotsa kills, but if you've been feeding your boys ammo or healing them, or whatever, you will be rewarded.  For a SL / Squad Leader, if your squad is doing what you're ordering them to do, then YOU receive points also.  On a higher echelon, as a Team Cmdr, if the SLs are carrying out the orders YOU issued them, then you get some great points also.  On the flip side to all this, however, if your orders have been bad, or you've just been a terrible leader, guys will simply leave your squad (if you're a SL) and join someone else's squad, or elect to get you fired as the Team Cmdr (in-match election, Page Up/Dwn for Yes/No).  Or if you still somehow still stay as a bad Team Cmdr, none of the SLs follow your orders, which is just as bad.  If you're a good leader, guys will flock to your squad or follow your orders as a Team Cmdr.  If you want to be the leader in a match for points?  You're the freakin' successful SL or Team Cmdr.

=================================

So, these are the points on why I like traditional BF games, and what I feel seperates them from other FPS games.  I love the Team-based focus in them.  If you know another FPS that has more differentiating points from others in the genre, better team mechanics, as well as a better presentation as a game than BF titles, I'd like to know about them since I'll give it a whirl.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Aluvius

"Although I sure hope Battlefield 3 isn't planning on mixing jet dogfighting into the multiplayer: that is one gimick I wouldn't be fond of."

What the?!  A gimmick?  Air and ground vehicle combat is what the Battlefield series was built on.  I've been missing the jets since what, Battlefield Vietnam.  The multiplayer maps are designed with them in mind.

Man I just need to walk away from this thread.

Well, some FPS purists don't like any vehicles at all.  You are going to have to get used to living in a world where people don't agree with you on every point.

I personally think vehicles can be fun (and sometimes not) but dogfighting just doesn't belong in my opinion:  way to gimicky.

The original Infinity Ward developers (all of the greatest CoD games including MW1) hated anything to do with vehicles and refused to put them into their multiplayer modes.  They felt very strongly about this from a PVP competetive standpoint.

But hey we all have different tastes and philosophies thats why some like Battlefield and some like CoD and some like neither...

My point was that your opinion that vehicles in Battlefield is somehow "gimmicky" is mind boggling not because you don't like them, but because every Battlefield game has had vehicles in it ... that's what makes it Battlefield and not Infantry Deathmatch FPS 12.  Whether or not you like them is irrelevant to the design.  Its like complaining about too much carjacking in GTA.

Also as someone stated, many of the maps are infantry only or even some servers remove them from all maps.  So you get the best of both worlds though I prefer the standard Battlefield map rotation of mostly vehicle maps and a few infantry only maps.