Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR looks rather boring... [video]

Comments

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

{mod edit}

Sorry i disagree. No amount of IP / Fanbase support can keep a game afloat if it is not good. Bad games do not work as simple as that. FFXIV, SWG are perfect examples. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

People who want to blow through quests without reading the text, or in TOR's case by skipping the dialogue/interaction should probably just not buy this game.

Hint - It's not going to appeal to you. Save yourself the time and money, and save US the frustration of having to read your whiney, unintelligent, trolling posts after the game is released and you come back to these forums and say "I told you so!"

If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm the story parts look cool but they're going to get annoying and slow me down after a couple of hours"

... then you should play a different game. Seriously. Don't even try TOR.

If you are thinking to yourself, "Who cares about end game, I want to enjoy and really absorb all the detail and story and take my tme to appreciate the lore, story, setting etc."

... then why haven't you pre-ordered yet?

Originally posted by tkoreaper

I didn't say it was bad... It's nothing new. 

Do I have to bust out the list of "what's new in TOR" for people again?

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by heerobya

People who want to blow through quests without reading the text, or in TOR's case by skipping the dialogue/interaction should probably just not buy this game.

Hint - It's not going to appeal to you. Save yourself the time and money, and save US the frustration of having to read your whiney, unintelligent, trolling posts after the game is released and you come back to these forums and say "I told you so!"

If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm the story parts look cool but they're going to get annoying and slow me down after a couple of hours"

If you are thinking to yourself, "Who cares about end game, I want to enjoy and really absorb all the detail and story and take my tme to appreciate the lore, story, setting etc."

I disagree.  I played Dragon Age for the story and the player choices during quests (yes I know it was limited) but I got sick of the long drawn out story parts about 1/2 thought the game, it did not stop me from finishing the game but the point is I knew going in about the story parts and they still got boring after so many of them.

I think that people even the fanbois are going to get sick of the getting quests because they take to long to get, I am thinking within 3 months most of the player base will be skiping the story thought the story to get the quests.

Sooner or Later

• aiskerriganaiskerrigan Member Posts: 17

It's not instancing anyways. It's more like phasing.. it's seamless too. And Bioware said the ONLY instancing (copies of zones) will be employed at the Origin/starting worlds at launch if there is severe overcrowding.

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

I didn't say it was bad... It's nothing new. 

Do I have to bust out the list of "what's new in TOR" for people again?

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

I don't care because like i said i am one of the testers myself. And it is not some hidden information that out side of instanced personal storylines there is a big world to explore. You make SWTOR sound like GW. So either you are lying or Bioware about explorable planets. And i am surely not trusting you.

Originally posted by TdogSkal

I disagree.  I played Dragon Age for the story and the player choices during quests (yes I know it was limited) but I got sick of the long drawn out story parts about 1/2 thought the game, it did not stop me from finishing the game but the point is I knew going in about the story parts and they still got boring after so many of them.

I think that people even the fanbois are going to get sick of the getting quests because they take to long to get, I am thinking within 3 months most of the player base will be skiping the story thought the story to get the quests.

My original stance still stands.

If you got bored/sick of the story parts half way through Dragon Age, 2 then I don't think TOR is going to be the MMO for you.

If you play Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age 1 and 2 and never worry about the ending or reaching it, and in fact are kind of disappointed when the game ends and go back and play through again and again to see how the story changed when you make different choices... or to try out different classes etc. or get all the exploration / character achievements etc.

Then why haven't you pre-ordered TOR yet?

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

It's just what I've been saying all along. The game is just pure hype. At it's core, it's just as capable as the next game, but the biggest thing pushing it right now is the IP/Fanbase and that will be the only thing that will keep it afloat.

Sorry i disagree. No amount of IP / Fanbase support can keep a game afloat if it is not good. Bad games do not work as simple as that. FFXIV, SWG are perfect examples. 

It is Bioware...it will be good. I wish it and GW2 would launch so that people would shut up. Besides, look at the track record of both companies:

NcSoft/Arenanet

1. Aion - grinder mmo

2. CoH/CoV - mediocre at best

3. Lineage - bot filled grinder

4. Guild Wars - boring game with horrible controls

Bioware

1. KotoR - Who didn't enjoy it

2. Dragon Age - Award winner

3. Mass Effect - Award winner

4. Baldur's Gate II - great game

4 of Bioware's games made the PCGamer top 100 games of all time. None of NCSoft/Arenanet games made the list

I think Bioware will be OK

{mod edit}

I don't care because like i said i am one of the testers myself. And it is not some hidden information that out side of instanced personal storylines there is a big world to explore. You make SWTOR sound like GW. So either you are lying or Bioware about explorable planets. And i am surely not trusting you.

{mod edit}

Two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different. You see what you want to see, and choose to talk about/focus on different things based upon pre-conceived notions. AKA bias.

{mod edit}

{mod edit} I am talking abut you making SWTOR look like a heavily instanced game which is false. 

Originally posted by bigsmiff

{mod edit}

It is Bioware...it will be good. I wish it and GW2 would launch so that people would shut up. Besides, look at the track record of both companies:

NcSoft/Arenanet

1. Aion - grinder mmo

2. CoH/CoV - mediocre at best

3. Lineage - bot filled grinder

4. Guild Wars - boring game with horrible controls

Bioware

1. KotoR - Who didn't enjoy it

2. Dragon Age - Award winner

3. Mass Effect - Award winner

4. Baldur's Gate II - great game

4 of Bioware's games made the PCGamer top 100 games of all time. None of NCSoft/Arenanet games made the list

I think Bioware will be OK

ArenaNet only developed Guild Wars.... NCSOFT is a publisher.. and Guild Wars being 'boring' is your opinion. It was a critical success and won GOTY when it released. ArenaNet is also founded by some of the original people that worked at Blizzard North on Diablo 1 & 2.. so they're hardly crackpots.

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by twstdstrange

If you compare TOR to GW2 or Tera, I honestly don't understand why (outside of enjoying the Star Wars universe, of course) there is so much hype for this game. It looks like the same rehashed WoW clone formula we've seen in WAR and Rift.

It's the rail shooter that sets it apart.  Early 80's retro gameplay making a comback!

(lol)

{mod edit}

You know how many complaining threads are on WoW's forums?

And it's the most popular and successful MMO of all time by a factor of like 10x.

What game forums are not full of complaints?

People who are happily enjoying a game don't go to forums to give praise 9/10 times.

This is fact buddy. Fact.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

My original stance still stands.

If you got bored/sick of the story parts half way through Dragon Age, 2 then I don't think TOR is going to be the MMO for you.

If you play Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dragon Age 1 and 2 and never worry about the ending or reaching it, and in fact are kind of disappointed when the game ends and go back and play through again and again to see how the story changed when you make different choices... or to try out different classes etc. or get all the exploration / character achievements etc.

Then why haven't you pre-ordered TOR yet?

Your theroy is flawed my friend.  I played Mass Effect 1 a few different times to see different endings.  I played every combo of class/race in Dragon Age 1 to see how the story played out for each.  I even played two different dwarf warriors to see the different endings with different choices.  I spend close to 200 hours playing Dragon Age 1 but still does not change the fact that about half way thought the first run thought of Dragon Age, I got sick of clicking thought the quests to keep the story moving.

Sooner or Later

{mod edit}

Im honestly amazed you are complaining like you expected something different?

Hey, let's make my personal star ship not instanced so when I go into it, it's full of random people I've never met. That sounds like a brilliant idea.

Hey, I have this amazing personal story, but every time I talk to a NPC there is some idiot standing right in front of the NPC, naked, dancing like an idiot and spamming the chat channels...

Brilliant idea tk!

Why aren't you a game designer?

Your theroy is flawed my friend.  I played Mass Effect 1 a few different times to see different endings.  I played every combo of class/race in Dragon Age 1 to see how the story played out for each.  I even played two different dwarf warriors to see the different endings with different choices.  I spend close to 200 hours playing Dragon Age 1 but still does not change the fact that about half way thought the first run thought of Dragon Age, I got sick of clicking thought the quests to keep the story moving.

I blame the fact that DA 1 was the only game where they've done the dialogue system where the player character had no speaking lines.

Harder to get emotionally invested/interested, easier to get bored and just want to click through.

Thankfully, in TOR, player characters are fully voiced.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

You naysayers are so damn depressing... lol

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

LOL!

TOR looks fine IMO.

They could make it just like your personal instances that aren't really instanced. I don't know if you're currently playing the game, but there's greenish portals you walk through that don't cause a loading screen. When you walk through them, it's just you and your group that see what's in there. It's your own phase if you wil.

Anyways, on a more serious note. I never said the game was completely horrible. I said it was good, but nothing really new or amazing. There's some things that I really don't like that are much worse than other games imo. I said that if it weren't for the SW IP it probably wouldn't survive.

If they have the tech to do the phasing for the story parts, but have to use actual instances for your ship and travel etc. I imagine it's someting technical.

If they could do it with phasing and thus without loading screens, I'm 100% positive they would.

Ship is likely instanced because of the companions. Players at different stages of the story, with or without aquiring different companions etc. would have to create potentially dozens of phase states for that etc.

Much easier and more logical to do it as an instance.

Something like that.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Precusor

The game is heavily instanced... instance to go to your ship... instance to load a ship battle... instance to travel... 

Is it really that bad?

No.  Most of the game is open world.  It is only the important points that gets instanced.  For example:  you have to kill the Sith Lord Dumbius in his castle.  Only the castle portion would be instanced so that you don't have to wait for him to respawn in order to kill him.  That way even though 50 teams may be doing this quest, no one sits around in line, or worse yet, helps the other 49 teams kill him and then get no credit.

He over-exaggerated the ship part my repeating it.  Fact is your house is your ship and yes it is instanced, no surprise there.  Traveling for most games is instanced so again no surprise and currently the space battles are only single player events, though BioWare has stated team battles are coming soon after launch.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

They could make it just like your personal instances that aren't really instanced. I don't know if you're currently playing the game, but there's greenish portals you walk through that don't cause a loading screen. When you walk through them, it's just you and your group that see what's in there. It's your own phase if you wil.

Anyways, on a more serious note. I never said the game was completely horrible. I said it was good, but nothing really new or amazing. There's some things that I really don't like that are much worse than other games imo. I said that if it weren't for the SW IP it probably wouldn't survive.

If they have the tech to do the phasing for the story parts, but have to use actual instances for your ship and travel etc. I imagine it's someting technical.

If they could do it with phasing and thus without loading screens, I'm 100% positive they would.

Ship is likely instanced because of the companions. Players at different stages of the story, with or without aquiring different companions etc. would have to create potentially dozens of phase states for that etc.

Something like that.

I don't see why they couldn't do the ship... it's extremely small.

Something like that.

I don't see why they couldn't do the ship... it's extremely small.

It's probably nothing to do with the size - the rooms behind the green doors etc. aren't really that big a lot of the time either.

It has more to do with what's in them, and with companions "living" in the ships, too many stages to phase.

That's my assumption, but I can almost garauntee it's technical not just design oversite etc.

The game is heavily instanced... instance to go to your ship... instance to load a ship battle... instance to travel... 

Sitting through a 5 second loading screen is just terrible isn't it? BTW ship battles are mini-games.. how could they not require a loading screen? Your usage of the word 'instance' is incorrect.

Originally posted by aiskerrigan

Sitting through a 5 second loading screen is just terrible isn't it? BTW ship battles are mini-games.. how could they not require a loading screen? Your usage of the word 'instance' is incorrect.

It's not EvE online with a Star Wars skin - nor is it SWG2

Thus, complaining.

People really, really want that apple they KNOW is an apple to be plum...

There's more I wish I could discuss here, but the NDA prevents me from doing so. I'm unhappy with the classes. I have a Sith Juggernaugt and a Mercenary both in the upper 20's and I just don't feel like a Tank/Healer. The lack of skills annoys me. I wish it was like Rift's talent system where you gain skills while you put points into a tree rather than gaining skills you may never use.

Hopefully you've used your position as a TESTER to submit appropriate, constructive feedback on the official channels rather then simlpy complained and done nothing to exercise your responsibility as a tester to help make the game better.

If that's not the kind of "tester" you are, please, give me your account info I'll log in and be a proper tester (I am experienced and methodical lol)