Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 6 yo - Still the best MMORPG in the World

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Becoming old and stale and folks are leaviing in droves, not sure they can stem the flow ? Time will tell but they have major problems with what they have now.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by fielding

I must say I am quite in disbelief to how much other MMORPG developers must suck. None have managed to create a game that is changing and new! Most is half or fully copycats of WoW, and im baffled to how these genious dev brains have come to the conclusion that exactly their own game was going to be successful enough to be a huge.

Blizzard might be the smartest company in the world (milking every penny from humanity), even if they suck like crap, they are the best of the crap!

Now I hope there is still some decent developers that see how easy it is to beat this moneymachine. Cos its not hard, just need the right minds that dont fall for the "copycat" way of doing it.

1) Not the best MMO, but the most popular. Best is a subjective term, most popular can be quantified by number of subscriptions.

2) WoW may actually turn out to be a perfect storm scenario and thats why even MMO's that do innovate cannot seem to beat it. People sign up for them, play them and ultimately think "its good but it isnt WoW".

3) Last but not least what keeps a lot of people playing WoW is the thousands of manhours and thousands of dollars spent progressing their characters and guilds to where they are now in the game. A lot of this has to do with the ammount of content available and the ammount of new content constantly added keeping people playing for longer & longer. Giving the game up is kissing all that time & money goodbye. To some people having to start over in a new MMO is kinda like delcaring bankrupcy and having to start a new life, its scary and they dont like the thought of it.

• fieldingfielding Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

I must say I am quite in disbelief to how much other MMORPG developers must suck. None have managed to create a game that is changing and new! Most is half or fully copycats of WoW, and im baffled to how these genious dev brains have come to the conclusion that exactly their own game was going to be successful enough to be a huge.

Blizzard might be the smartest company in the world (milking every penny from humanity), even if they suck like crap, they are the best of the crap!

Now I hope there is still some decent developers that see how easy it is to beat this moneymachine. Cos its not hard, just need the right minds that dont fall for the "copycat" way of doing it.

1) Not the best MMO, but the most popular. Best is a subjective term, most popular can be quantified by number of subscriptions.

2) WoW may actually turn out to be a perfect storm scenario and thats why even MMO's that do innovate cannot seem to beat it. People sign up for them, play them and ultimately think "its good but it isnt WoW".

3) Last but not least what keeps a lot of people playing WoW is the thousands of manhours and thousands of dollars spent progressing their characters and guilds to where they are now in the game. A lot of this has to do with the ammount of content available and the ammount of new content constantly added keeping people playing for longer & longer. Giving the game up is kissing all that time & money goodbye. To some people having to start over in a new MMO is kinda like delcaring bankrupcy and having to start a new life, its scary and they dont like the thought of it.

I have to say I agree with what you are saying. The fear of change is both holding new innovative ideas from hitting the market, and also keeping players at one place. Monopolizing and controlling the mmorpg gamers is easy to do for Blizzard, just add some new stuff here and there and make the gamers believe its not worth dropping. :)

But still I would say that many gamers are ready to leave WoW for good, even after investing 5-7 years of their life in this game. Its all about making a game that WORKS, instead of using WoW as the only model to success.

I am a believer in new standards, and Blizzard sure did put in a lot of them. New standards = new ideas. Even those small new ideas that are realized, will keep the player base in the illusion and keep paying.

To me a perfect RPG dont force anything unto you, but makes you want to involve yourself without any thought.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

I have to say I agree with what you are saying. The fear of change is both holding new innovative ideas from hitting the market, and also keeping players at one place. Monopolizing and controlling the mmorpg gamers is easy to do for Blizzard, just add some new stuff here and there and make the gamers believe its not worth dropping. :)

But still I would say that many gamers are ready to leave WoW for good, even after investing 5-7 years of their life in this game. Its all about making a game that WORKS, instead of using WoW as the only model to success.

I am a believer in new standards, and Blizzard sure did put in a lot of them. New standards = new ideas. Even those small new ideas that are realized, will keep the player base in the illusion and keep paying.

To me a perfect RPG dont force anything unto you, but makes you want to involve yourself without any thought.

I do not doubt that people are getting closer to leaving WoW all the time, on a long enough timeline your interest in any one thing inevitably reaches zero. Many people are painting SWTOR as the WoW killer, before that it was Rift, before that it was WAR, before that it was AoC and so it goes.

I do not think SWTOR will dethrone WOW as such and that WoW killers are a myth due to the perfect storm that created this WoW juggernaut in the first place. The passage of time will likely mean WOW dies a slow death of old age rather than suddenly losing out to younger competition. WoW players will drift to other games but they will not all suddenly go to the same new game.

I highly doubt any other MMO will reach the massive number of subscriptions WoW garnered at its peak because the MMO market is so different now & the line between what is an MMO/FPS/TPS/Arena game/co-op RPG game is becoming more blurred each day.

• fieldingfielding Member Posts: 15

I just have to say that I totally agree! Very true in my ears ;) And I love truth that are told directly from the spine <3

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes was something that could have beat WoW in terms of quality, but people had every reason under the sun to dislike it. Comparing a game that just came out, to WoW and it's patches and expansions over the years...not exactly fair. Vanguard had a lot of room to grow.  After Vanguard bombed I doubted companies would ever go for the true, old school mmo feel and so far that's been the case.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

What I would like to see in a GROWN UP game today, is developers who goes into DEPTH. Even creating the platform to decrease your latency to their servers by doing the correct research etc. And creating everything as a living realistic world. Even Perma-death types of servers, where you really have to watch your character. It will be a lot more sweaty and hard, but damn what a spirit of realism and honorable character you could build :)

Or you could, you know, see the sunlight every now and then

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

WoW is great.

If you're new to MMORPGs, this is the cream of the crop.

After you're burnt out on WoW. People look for some thing different whilst in turn despise WoW because they can't find any thing else better and point the blame at the game for ruining the market.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I have a sneaking suspecion the majority of subscribers are not even aware there is a MMORPG genre. They just know WoW

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

After 6 years all MMORPG.com users do is circle jerk over the idea of something killing WoW (it will never happen).

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Best is subjective, for me I'd give EVE that award, but strictly a personal choice I realize.

I do agree with the OP, it's annoying that so many Devs figure the best way to make their new title is to look at "how Blizzard did it" and not try to make too many alterations to their standard formula.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Lukain

Blizzard had a huge advantage over most MMO Developers , The IP - Warcraft had such a huge following it was allways goingt to be a smash hit

The smartest thing Blizzard did in making WOW  was the Style , they made it feel & look like you were in a Warcraft Game instead of making it with high res grafix & huge polygon counts ..

Very true.

There's also the "phenomenon" effect. People have this funny way of seeing a major trend and wanting to immediately hop on board, to be "part of the event".

Cabbage Patch Kids, Tickle Me Elmo, Furbies, the mad PS2 rush (I knew people who bought them just so they could brag that they got one.. but never actually played it), same thing with PS3, FarmVille (I know people who could barely use a computer who *had* to play FarmVille 'cause everyone else they knew was playing and they felt "left out" of the discussion)... The examples go on. All of these things were over items/toys/etc that would otherwise have been nothing more than "another product on the market". Something about their marketing pushed them well above that mark, however, and they became "must have!" products.

We're a very "me-too!" heavy society, for the most part. An awful lot of people love to feel like "they're part of something big".

That definitely played a role in WoW, when you consider people who had never even *heard* of MMOs, or even Warcraft were flocking to this new phenomenon that seemed to be everywhere, and that so many people they knew were getting into.

Blizzard's built-in fan-base brought in the initial wave of players, and made it a success from the start. After that, once news got out about this "new online game everyone was playing", the phenomenon effect kicked in.

Of course, none of that would have meant squat if Blizzard didn't know how to develop a solid and basically fun game. Vanilla WoW was a pretty fun game, and even somewhat challenging in some ways. We all know where it ended up, of course, since then....

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

that might have been true, WoW was one of better and maybe best mmo ever made.

but there is one thing people forget, mmo genre existed before WoW was even out and most people

complain all new games are WoW clone, so they forget that WoW took many forms from other games that existed

before WoW was even out on market, so we should ask isnt WoW a clone too?

next topic would be they did good job all this years getting expansions out and etc, but slowly WoW is getting old

and its getting slowly to stop milking people as i remember it had 12.5 million subs now they have 11 million subs or less.

the point is they get max or almost max from WoW they could put out, so they should concentrate on making a new mmo

with fresh ideas, if we want or dont want to realize market is getting better and better every month upcoming and there are

even more titles that are getting better, ofcourse people will always take some fresh and better content for their money.

my point in last is WoW was best at his time,now its time is slowly passing and better titles are on its way out or many will push it to side soon.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by AzurePrower

WoW is great.

If you're new to MMORPGs, this is the cream of the crop.

After you're burnt out on WoW. People look for some thing different whilst in turn despise WoW because they can't find any thing else better and point the blame at the game for ruining the market.

Not always true. I started playing MMOS with EQ. I didn't even started playing WOW till 2007 and wow..it was a blast. The best gaming experince i ever had in a very long time. I just can't put finger on it but there is something about WOW..it oozes with atmosphere, character and quality something that even  MMOS with ultra realistic graphics lack.

• curzon176curzon176 Member Posts: 14

The smartest thing Blizzard did in making WOW  was the Style , they made it feel & look like you were in a Warcraft Game instead of making it with high res grafix & huge polygon counts ..

And yet i know a few people that have never bothered with WoW mainly because of that "style", and i myself have never been a fan of the gfx, tho i tended to ignore it the four years i played WoW, because otherwise it was pretty fun.

Originally posted by curzon176

And yet i know a few people that have never bothered with WoW mainly because of that "style", and i myself have never been a fan of the gfx, tho i tended to ignore it the four years i played WoW, because otherwise it was pretty fun.

Well then you must hate look of Warcraft games too considering they were just being true to that style.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Originally posted by curzon176

Well then you must hate look of Warcraft games too considering they were just being true to that style.

have been playing WoW for several years now, can't say im all that much of a fan of the graphics though, they have improved slightly in cataclysm but overall, their still underwhelming.. having said that.. its an enjoyable game.. just... its a shame the horde races look so silly.. image

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Most is half or fully copycats of WoW

and wow aint an copycat either you wanna say? XD

evolution in mmorpgs hasnt exsisted last 10 years...they only added better graphics after copying the results from an older rpg (explains why runescape is still played so much)..

really waiting for an big swirlaround change from an mmorpg that has a new direction...yust hoping for GW2 for doing at least a small step into another direction.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

OMG...those WoW fanboyz getting crazier :)

Don't make me laugh with ur World of Borecraft....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Originally posted by snoocky

OMG...those WoW fanboyz getting crazier :)

Don't make me laugh with ur World of Borecraft....

No one is trying to make you laugh but i am glad you did. However, i don't why you feel offended not that anyone dragged you in here to post.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

yep you are right it is still the best, I don't play anymore but after 5+ years of playing I haven't played an mmo for longer than a month since. 

Anyone that doesn't think it isn't the best all around, should mention another mmo and argue in its favour. I've played a lot of mmo's and WoW is the best all around. 

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Originally posted by timeraider

evolution in mmorpgs hasnt exsisted last 10 years...they only added better graphics after copying the results from an older rpg (explains why runescape is still played so much)..

really waiting for an big swirlaround change from an mmorpg that has a new direction...yust hoping for GW2 for doing at least a small step into another direction.

There has been quite a bit evolution. It has been slow, and like with nature, not always towards the right direction (subject to personal opinions in the realm of games). I think what you are looking for is radical change.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by thexrated

Originally posted by timeraider

There has been quite a bit evolution. It has been slow, and like with nature, not always towards the right direction (subject to personal opinions in the realm of games). I think what you are looking for is radical change.

you got that thing right :P

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by jessie360

You're forgetting one thing:

most popular =/= best

/thread

things/persons/games etc are popular because they are good.

the most popular=the best fullstop

No i don't play WoW.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

now this is some serious flawed logic ^^