Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pool: Should Lightsabers be instakill?

Comments

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by galphar

It can instakill all but me in my Yorik coral Yuuzhan Vong armor. And isn't the Bounty Hunter's armor based off Madalorian Armor that Jango and Boba Fet had.  That was also able to deflect lightsiber strikes.

Lightsaber-resistant materials (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber)

Aside from the blade of another lightsaber, there were rare materials that could withstand a lightsaber blade, but with varying degrees of success:

• Cortosis, although a rare and expensive metal, was a popular defense against lightsabers. Purified cortosis ore had the ability to momentarily "short out" a lightsaber blade, rendering it inoperable for a brief period of time before the wielder could reactivate it. Cortosis alloy was sturdier than purified cortosis ore, but was only capable of deflecting a lightsaber blade and not deactivating it. One reason why cortosis was so expensive was the need to refine it. Pure, unrefined Cortosis ore was—for unknown reasons—dangerously ionized and anyone who touched it would be killed instantly. There were multiple methods of forging cortosis armor and weapons, each with varying effects.

• Phrik, was a rare metallic compound that could withstand a lightsaber blade, although unlike cortosis, Phrik did not possess the ability to cause the blade to short out. Phrik was most notably used in the construction of the electrostaffs wielded by General Grievous's MagnaGuards. Other notable uses of Phrik included elements of Palpatine's lightsaber and Dark trooper armor.

• Darkswords were an ancient type of sword made from a special material that could parry lightsabers. Unlike cortosis, this material did not possess the ability to temporarily deactivate a lightsaber blade it made contact with.

• Armorweave was a cloth said to give some resistance to lightsabers, although the protection the reinforced material afforded was limited.

• Sith alchemy was employed during the eras of the first Sith Empire to augment the properties of metals so as to counter the seemingly unstoppable lightsaber. The Sith also made use of such elements as cortosis in the forging of their Sith swords. After the original Sith Empire, the most notorious use of Sith alchemy was in the construction and reinforcement of Darth Vader's armor.

• Mandalorian iron: A metal found on the planet Mandalore—known as beskar in the Mandalorian language—Mandalorian iron could be forged into several configurations to take advantage of its exceptional lightsaber-resistant qualities. Commonly used in the creation of Mandalorian armor or weapons, the metal was also used to construct the door sealing Freedon Nadd's tomb.

• Force Weapon: Weapons imbued with the power of the Force could be used to parry a lightsaber's blade without harm.

• Vong technology: Vonduun Skerr Kyrric armor proved to be lightsaber resistant, and Amphistaffs were able to clash with lightsaber blades repeatedly without sustaining damage.

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by astoria

I think if you throw a lightsaber into a pool it should short out.

Last entry on the list of Lightsaber resistant materials at [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber]

• Water: All lightsabers, unless specially made, would short out when they were submerged in water, due to rapid chain reactions and the instant overpowering of water on the blade. In rain, a lightsaber would steam up, but not short out.

Other counteracting materials existed in the galaxy, such as various energy shields. Some animals, such as lava dragons, were possessed of natural armor that reflected the blade. Superconductive materials (e.g. ultrachrome, Quantum-crystalline armor) deflected lightsaber strikes. The skin of the Tikulini worms of Jazbina was able to withstand a lightsaber strikes. The Zillo Beasts native to Malastare were also resistant to a lightsaber blow.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I love pools, Swimming is so much fun.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

They have to balance this game.  No, I don't think a light sabre should be insta-kill.  Talk about over-powered.

25 players enter a raid, boss comes out.  CHOP.  Okay, lets all go back to town for drinks.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Sure, and let's make everything else one hit kills. You jedi wouldn't last three seconds against my bounty hunter. A couple of wrist shots and one rocket and you'd be done ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Jimmac

Originally posted by xaldraxius

No. No more than a gun or a sword should kill with one hit. It may work that way in the movies or real life, but in a game, especially an MMO, one shot killing things and people would be boring. We can assume if the lightsaber doesn't kill a guy with one hit or slice of his arm, that it was merely a glancing blow, or was deflected partially by armor. In the movies we've seen blasters perform one shot kills too, so your chances of getting close enough to kill somebody with a lightsaber would be pretty slim, unless they made everyone terrible marksmen like in the films, which again would just be boring and frustrating.

So you're in a fight for 12 minutes and you hit the mob with your lightsaber 178 times. The first 177 were glancing blows or deflected by the armor? These jedi must be nuggets off the street. 

That goes the same way for blasters and rockets and fire blasters. I was in a fight for 12 minutes and i hit the mob with my blaster 178 times. you are saying that 178 laser blaster shots all got deflected by the armor ? How the hell did those troopers who was suppose to be elite of the elite get pass their basic trainings.

The same argument can be used against all classes in the Star War universe, how about the rockets blasted by the trooper and smugglers and bounty hunters. Wow everyone should have gotten killed by that one rocket even jedi, but nope they still gets up and fights.

Its an MMO people, there can not and will not have instant kills.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

What Kuaidam said

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

What about the precious Golden Gun in the new James Bond MMO I may or may not be producing?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Kuaidam

Originally posted by astoria

I think if you throw a lightsaber into a pool it should short out.

Last entry on the list of Lightsaber resistant materials at [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber]

• Water: All lightsabers, unless specially made, would short out when they were submerged in water, due to rapid chain reactions and the instant overpowering of water on the blade. In rain, a lightsaber would steam up, but not short out.

Other counteracting materials existed in the galaxy, such as various energy shields. Some animals, such as lava dragons, were possessed of natural armor that reflected the blade. Superconductive materials (e.g. ultrachrome, Quantum-crystalline armor) deflected lightsaber strikes. The skin of the Tikulini worms of Jazbina was able to withstand a lightsaber strikes. The Zillo Beasts native to Malastare were also resistant to a lightsaber blow.

Kudos.  Good read.

Lightsaber-resistant materialsEdit Lightsaber-resistant materials section

Aside from the blade of another lightsaber, there were rare materials that could withstand a lightsaber blade, but with varying degrees of success. . .

In addition, within SW:TOR, it would appear that every player and their garb will be rewarded with these "rare materials", in addition to the NPC's and creatures we encounter.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Well if you read more specificlly about the "rare" materials they mean they are very rare during the times of the first movies, but most of those "rare" materials especially Crotosis and Mandalorian metal arnt yet rare in the TOR timeframe since TOR is set pretty dang early in the universe.

But yes I do hope to see everything and its mom with lightsaber resistant stuff so that Jedi is kept challenging.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    I'm curious, did all you people who complain about realism voice these concerns in EVERY other mmo that was in production? Or are you under the impression that swords,axes and hammers hitting multiple times on an opponent is believable?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

First off. yes there was an issue with marksmanship in the series.

Second a jedi is easily capable of deflecting blaster shots from multiple angles practically indefintely.

Third: Lightsabers are capable of cutting through damn near anything. The only canon reference i've found (and my information is slightly out of date) was a fire wyrm in the Jedi Academy Trillogy. Thats why most non jedi didnt dare use them. They were very powerful weapons where one wrong move could lead to your own limbs being cut off.

I chose the third option mainly because i know the power of those things.  Overall the game is looking better but i'm still waiting.

I plan on going republic trooper.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Originally posted by Storched

Originally posted by xaldraxius

No. No more than a gun or a sword should kill with one hit. It may work that way in the movies or real life, but in a game, especially an MMO, one shot killing things and people would be boring. We can assume if the lightsaber doesn't kill a guy with one hit or slice of his arm, that it was merely a glancing blow, or was deflected partially by armor. In the movies we've seen blasters perform one shot kills too, so your chances of getting close enough to kill somebody with a lightsaber would be pretty slim, unless they made everyone terrible marksmen like in the films, which again would just be boring and frustrating.

image This. Saved my hands the trouble :D

Well stated and doubly agreed. You do need to take a step back and think about what hit points actually represents, which is something I remember reading a nice bit about back in the AD&D days. It is a combination of suspension of disbelief with minor justification (glancing blows, nicks and minor cuts, etc). Games do not go into great detail with injuries of players (especially the severing of limbs); would you want to play your character if they permenantly lost their arms and legs?

Instakill is about as relevant as perma-death in MMORPs; which is about as realistic as be having a functional lightsaber in the real world. I imagine it would do wonders on my hedges though....

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Realism has no place in an mmo or rather  generally in games, unless you accept perma death , how realistic is it that you can resurrect after you just got killed. They can make it semi similiar but unless you are a god who can deflect all that is thrown at you, you will never have realism in a game. And while we are at it, add sleep and food consumption, liquid consumption and waste producing part of the game otherwise its not real, and also make it so when you walk a mile its actually a mile that you are walking, so if this city is a mile away, you will have to really walk a mile ( 45 minutes ) And if you get stun by a bee and you are allergic to it you will die if you are too far away from a city. And if there is no doctor you will die.

There is no realism in a game.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Let us continue this discussion about how STARWARS is not realistic.... if you like we can log into another  MMO ride around on the back of a dragon, find another man to kill and have to hack him 14 times with an axe before he drops while some guy throws fire from his finger tips.

Or we can jump into a nice FPS and place several bullets into a guys head before he drops or perhaps we can get into a game of lol

Point is if you are looking for "Real world sensabilities" in a fantasy fiction game... .you are doing it wrong, its like trying to explain Batman... it cant be done, and the world is a better place for it.

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

We can argue this all day.

The bottom line is, insta-kill  is never going to be instituted because companies want as many subscriptions as possible, and the idea of getting one-shotted turns away a ton of people.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

No they don't need to be instant kill,unless maybe you cutoff a creature or players head,sort of like a headshot with a sniper.The could also add some kind of critical hit,where by you would make a clean cut right through the enemies body,but small flesh wounds,slices should not be considered instant kills.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I understand most people don't want insta kill, but the jedi players should at least have the option to have it insta kill of purposes of not having to hit a raid mob 3412 times with a lightsaber and it's still alive. This way the player who likes realism is happy and so is everyone else.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Just not possible with this paint-by-numbers MMO design.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Sure, as long as they realistically render things like ion cannons to totally vaporize people in one shot. 

Otherwise, probably better not.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Jimmac

I understand most people don't want insta kill, but the jedi players should at least have the option to have it insta kill of purposes of not having to hit a raid mob 3412 times with a lightsaber and it's still alive. This way the player who likes realism is happy and so is everyone else.

And the laser from a blaster is somehow LESS effective than the laser from a lightsaber?

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Yes but shoudn't the +5 sword of badassery and doom be as well?

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

From a realism point of view, yes (ha! lightsabers realism).   But then, so should almost any sword attack.   How many times has your fantasy character taken 10 or 20 arrows to the body and still won the fight?    Realistically, the majority of weapon hits should be lethal, if not insta-kill.

And I think it could work in a single-player game, but not in an MMO.   Paricularly not in an MMO with pvp and non lightsaber wielding classes.    Not unless you're also going to give blasters the chance to be one-shot kills.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by s1fu71

But I thought lightsabers did cause instakill.

Remember when Luke got his hand severed?

The end credits rolled and Vader laughed.

Short movie, that one...

If you could take off body parts in pvp I would buy SWToR tommorow!

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

In reallity most weapons are insta kill

In an MMORPG no it would not be fun but I would not have a problem with it if SW:TOR was MMOFPS.  

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.