Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodbye R&P

12346»

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Originally posted by SoulSurfer

u guys mad?

not mad.   but now that its gone i realize how extremely boring this site really is. 

i just check here once in awhile when i'm really bored...

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

So much hate from the poster above, so sad.

woot 2000th post time to retire....

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

You can tell from the amount of activity and peoples dwindling member rating that  the forum is dieing due to this decision to close R&P

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Scubie67

You can tell from the amount of activity and peoples dwindling member rating that  the forum is dieing due to this decision to close R&P

Agreed. As much of a cistern as it was, it was also one of the few reasons to come to the off-topic boards for a good number of people. I'm not exactly sure why this happened ... there's no reason at least a loose moderation policy couldn't have been implemented (so as to get rid of comments like those referring to Herman Cain as the "Pizza N-Word") without nuking the forum entirely.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by kobie173

Agreed. As much of a cistern as it was, it was also one of the few reasons to come to the off-topic boards for a good number of people. I'm not exactly sure why this happened ... there's no reason at least a loose moderation policy couldn't have been implemented (so as to get rid of comments like those referring to Herman Cain as the "Pizza N-Word") without nuking the forum entirely.

Really? I missed that one, guess that's what I get for being busy.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Well, that wasn't the only thing that led them to close it down.  But, it probably was the straw that broke the camel's back (along with baff and kchf (whateverthefrackhisnamewas) spouting the N-word on a constant basis in their respective threads).

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

That use to be the case for the OT period. Look at the description of this board.

And you're right. The OT boards are ridiculously dull now. With such extreme moderation in this whole department. Anything can be construed as political/ethical/religious, and therefor news stories that use to make their appearance now are forbidden, and nothing is particularly left to talk about that has really any type of interest for those over the age of 13.

I mean in all seriousness, I've checked these forums the past couple days, and the activity has damn near died out, and it's sad. I've visited these boards for roughly eight years now, I've moderated them, made friends, enemies, people I wish I had never met...But all in all, it was an amusing time, and it's sad to see things become relegated in such a manner.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

Originally posted by Finwe

That use to be the case for the OT period. Look at the description of this board.

And you're right. The OT boards are ridiculously dull now. With such extreme moderation in this whole department. Anything can be construed as political/ethical/religious, and therefor news stories that use to make their appearance now are forbidden, and nothing is particularly left to talk about that has really any type of interest for those over the age of 13.

I mean in all seriousness, I've checked these forums the past couple days, and the activity has damn near died out, and it's sad. I've visited these boards for roughly eight years now, I've moderated them, made friends, enemies, people I wish I had never met...But all in all, it was an amusing time, and it's sad to see things become relegated in such a manner.

Well, the major problem is with how they define things.  I mean:

1. Religion is very easily defined and discussion of such is easily avoided as people know what constitutes Religious discussions.

2. Politics is not easily defined.  It is a very grey area.  One which they did not define.  And, that is where the problem lies.
  • kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by Vato26

Well, that wasn't the only thing that led them to close it down.  But, it probably was the straw that broke the camel's back (along with baff and kchf (whateverthefrackhisnamewas) spouting the N-word on a constant basis in their respective threads).

What else, then?

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

Originally posted by Vato26

What else, then?

The members that were engaging in complete lunacy, conspiracy theories, and statements on the verge of being physical threats against other members or politicians being a few.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by SoulSurfer

u guys mad?

Ye totally, i even took an appointment with my shrink.

Seriously though, not mad, a bit disapointed that's all.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

This discussion has been closed.