Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I gonna die of boredom and game-frustration :/

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Really, I have been a gamer for 25 years, but the last 1-2 years have been so dull. Somehow I feel it is as if most of the magic is gone. Sure, there are still a few cool games on the horizon, SWTOR, Skyrim, Arkham City. But by and large in the last half year, I just looked into Amazon and Steam and gamesites but somehow there was nothing new in the last 12 months that really capitvated me.

I wonder where all the "magic" has gone to? Or did I get too old for games? I think and hope not. There were days, like when Civ 2 came, or the first two Sims or all the old RPGs like Ultima and Wizardry, or cool games like System Shock or Silent Hill... aww those were games. I spent YEARS playing Civ 2, but somehow each new incarnation was worse than before. Same with Heroes of Might and Magic I loved so much. Every new version was weaker than before, after HoMM II. I used to love strategy games. Stuff like Cleopatra or Myth Crusade something or the old Command and Conquer or Master of Orion and and and. So much cool stuff in the past.

And now I gaze into magazines and on websites selling games, and nothing calls for me. So many games are cheap or boring or just a 1000th rehash of the same old. And same goes with MMOs. I just can't play all this old stuff anymore. It feels as if I have seen the same MMO crap a million times.

... Anyone has a SWTOR beta he doesn't need btw? I really would want one, lol.

God, this is so boring and frustrating. A hobby which once was so fun, but now it so dull. ... Until in November everthing comes out at the same time, as it seems. >.< Still, I am having no illusions, the grand days of gaming are past. Today, way too many bean counters and stockholder make trashy mass market games for quick cash and care zero for longevity. They don't want someone to play a game like Civ 2 for 5 years. They want you to be fed up after 2 weeks so you buy the next trash. Ugh. image

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

+1

its quite sad to see how 2008, 2009, 2010 and now 2011 have all been dry years...quite a few promising games looming in the horizon now, but how many of them will be a dissapointment?

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

nah, I dont think you're getting too old, it really has been a slow year...

I've had the same problem, and the last 6 month I havent been able to play anything for more than a week top :/

I usually find myself browsing the web for something new and exciting, and for news about upcomming titles.

So, you're not alone, my friend. this has truly been the worst year, ("gaming-wise"), I've seen in years     -_-'

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

If you feel older games in general are better, then I honestly think you should be playing those older games. A game being new has nothing to do with how good it is. I still play old games, especially RPGs that never made it to Europe for the PSX.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Kaerigan

If you feel older games in general are better, then I honestly think you should be playing those older games. A game being new has nothing to do with how good it is. I still play old games, especially RPGs that never made it to Europe for the PSX.

I tried, but tbh I can't. First, the adventures and RPGs I remember too well. Even after years, when I start playing them again, it all comes back. Second, too old graphics I can't play. Like pre-2000 or so.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by JonathanWe

this has truly been the worst year, ("gaming-wise"), I've seen in years     -_-'

just like 2008 2009 and 2010...

• tochicooltochicool Member Posts: 153

I know what you mean...

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    I feel ya, I usually spend The time I used to play video games with staring at steam and websites like this thinking " well these games all blow.". Being a huge lego fan in my youth I picked up Lego uverse since it's f2p to hold me over till swtor or gw2 what ever one doesn't suck as much. The nestolgia is there though it's ez mode still fun to build. Yes this is how desperate I am, pretending I'm 12 again playing with legos

C

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Innovation is something when its completely new.

Example:

You could make out of Coal , Metal 1840. That was a Innovation.

Later 1890 was there Train and Machinery.

now to games:

The first innovation of games was 1990. 

Then 3D was invented. New Innovation 2000

2010: Cyclus of rotation. Nothing that u didnt see the past 20 years.

The next innovative Step is: Interaction trough mental control in a 3D world. thats not here yet!

So ure bored because ure seeing the same shit over and over.

Originally posted by Sagasaint

this has truly been the worst year, ("gaming-wise"), I've seen in years     -_-'

for mmo's yes.

but for other games 08-10 wasnt that bad, was it? I mean we got titles like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Red Dead Redemption, Dead Space, Fable 2, Fallout 3 (& New Vegas), Little Big Planet, Bioshock, Halo Wars, Resident Evil 5, Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum,Modern Warfare II and lots of other titles too, (these were really the ones I could think of right now-_-)

Edit: epic typo's ftw!

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

This is what happens when corporations stick their greedy little hands into the market, things go mainstream.

The gaming industry has gone from being hobbyist, to catering to the more mainstream gamers and making games more "accessible" (aka shallow, dumbed down, lacking substance). Whether it's good or bad well... It's a matter of perspective. For businesses it's great. More people; more profit. For the mainstream gamer it's great too, something else to do. For the hobbyists who fueled the rise of the industry... we're left sitting at the side wondering what the hell just happened.

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    That's where I'm at as well. I was hoping Rift would hold me over until some of the other games came out, but there just wasn't enough end game content. I'm afraid SWTOR will be in the same boat as Rift. I picked up borderlands and played through it twice because i missed that one while i was playing other games a few weeks ago. I wish that D3 would release. Diablo 2 was my filler game while I was bored for a long time, but it's just too old now.
  • Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by Elikal

Really, I have been a gamer for 25 years, but the last 1-2 years have been so dull. Somehow I feel it is as if most of the magic is gone. Sure, there are still a few cool games on the horizon, SWTOR, Skyrim, Arkham City. But by and large in the last half year, I just looked into Amazon and Steam and gamesites but somehow there was nothing new in the last 12 months that really capitvated me.

I wonder where all the "magic" has gone to? Or did I get too old for games? I think and hope not. There were days, like when Civ 2 came, or the first two Sims or all the old RPGs like Ultima and Wizardry, or cool games like System Shock or Silent Hill... aww those were games. I spent YEARS playing Civ 2, but somehow each new incarnation was worse than before. Same with Heroes of Might and Magic I loved so much. Every new version was weaker than before, after HoMM II. I used to love strategy games. Stuff like Cleopatra or Myth Crusade something or the old Command and Conquer or Master of Orion and and and. So much cool stuff in the past.

And now I gaze into magazines and on websites selling games, and nothing calls for me. So many games are cheap or boring or just a 1000th rehash of the same old. And same goes with MMOs. I just can't play all this old stuff anymore. It feels as if I have seen the same MMO crap a million times.

God, this is so boring and frustrating. A hobby which once was so fun, but now it so dull. ... Until in November everthing comes out at the same time, as it seems. >.< Still, I am having no illusions, the grand days of gaming are past. Today, way too many bean counters and stockholder make trashy mass market games for quick cash and care zero for longevity. They don't want someone to play a game like Civ 2 for 5 years. They want you to be fed up after 2 weeks so you buy the next trash. Ugh. image

I feel ya bro, i really do. I have mulled over this time and time agian myself and have come up with quite a few reasonable answers

1.  Yes, after awhile, its all the same thing. Everygame just sorta belnds together.

2.  We're adults now, we have bills and relationships. We don't neccicarily have the same time to sit and give 8 hours day           to devote to one game.

3.  As technology get's better, producing "better" games gets more difficult as people hunger for better graphics (not me              personally) 

4. When we were gamers back in HS etc. We were nerds, geeks. Gaming is more socially acceptable now. I mean                     even jocks play games now.

5. Having gamed for so long, our expectations are crazy high. And we're the first gen of "real" gamers to have grown up with stuff that wasn't pong and atari.  Imagin 6 years from now, when people who grew up with Halo are in their 20's. What their exepaction will be?

These are just a few I had thought of. But I know, Gaming just, isn't what it used to be. But people are still making innovative leaps, I for one am a huge fan of Bioware, deffinatly some crazy stuff going on their.

for mmo's yes.

but for other games 08-10 wasnt that bad, was it? I mean we got titles like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Red Dead Redemption, Dead Space, Fable 2, Fallout 3 (& New Vegas), Little Big Planet, Bioshock, Halo Wars, Resident Evil 5, Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum,Modern Warfare II and lots of other titles too, (these were really the ones I could think of right now-_-)

um yep, you are right.

tbh offline games havent had a dry year...ever. there's just way too many big companies churning out great titles at epic pace, your bound to get a few blockbusters per year.

MMOs however are the redhead step child of gaming, we just get unoriginal crap after unoriginal crap

and now the market seems to be taking a turn towards F2P,  which is about the same as saying most publishers officially stopped trying to make good games, and instead declare themselves content milking the unwhashed hordes of teens that gravitate around the model with B- titles instead of AAA....cheaper to make, zero support, and still make decent revenue

we are pretty much set to never have another great game, ever.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I've been feeling the same way too. I really really hope GW2 scratches that itch.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I've been digging through a pile of steam games.

Enjoying Terraria, Space Pirates And Zombies, Amnesia, Portal 2, Metro 2033 & Jamestown.

Tons of good stuff man. I'm sure you havent played through everything.

Edit: Dues EX comes out in like two weeks!!! Gonna keep my ass busy until RAGE releases.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

for mmo's yes.

um yep, you are right.

tbh offline games havent had a dry year...ever. there's just way too many big companies churning out great titles at epic pace, your bound to get a few blockbusters per year.

MMOs however are the redhead step child of gaming, we just get unoriginal crap after unoriginal crap

and now the market seems to be taking a turn towards F2P,  which is about the same as saying most publishers officially stopped trying to make good games, and instead declare themselves content milking the unwhashed hordes of teens that gravitate around the model with B- titles instead of AAA....cheaper to make, zero support, and still make decent revenue

we are pretty much set to never have another great game, ever.

And this is why you don't exclusively play mmos.

Imagine doing that with another game genre? You would be bored to tears!

I mean i love other genres like fighting but there have only been like four or five good ones released in 10+ years lol (kind of like mmos).

My advise is to skip around enjoy the gaming genre as a whole. 

I'm subscribed to Rift currently but i spent this passed weekend clearing Portal 2 for the first time. 

Gotta spice the games up, looking at the same action bar and character everytime i play a game gets old quick!

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by Elikal

This is something a few of the guys have been saying for a whilst in our teamspeak,

so your not alone m8, your post sums up how i have felt this past couple of years too.

I have also been gaming a long long time, i've been suffering this 'gamers depression'

since pre-cu swg, as nothing seems to have filled the void that it left.

Although i have tried so many game & liked a lot of them, there seems to be a lack of

innovation, the recent games don't seem to keep me interested, they feel like a relentless

grind just to keep my time pre-occupied with cut & paste meaningless content.

it just seems to be a stale industry full of cut & paste themeparks, but this past 2 years

has been by far the worst image

I'm close to just jacking it all in

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I'm with you. It is like I'm waiting for the "new Bioware game" or "new Elder Scrolls game" or the "new Total War game". There's not enough new games. Just rehashes of old ones. We need more different games -and with quality too. I've had enough of wading through games that are different, sure, but are otherwise lacking, unfinished, or just too damn buggy to play.

Nothing excites me anymore. Last wow-moment* I had was with Mass Effect 1 and that was years ago. Before that I can't even remember when. It seems those moments are becoming rarer and rarer...

(*no, not the game World of Warcraft)

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by ukforze

I'm close to just jacking it all in

Bahh don't do that.

If you want innovative check out the indie scene.

SPace Pirate and zombies I know its a stupid name but its a open ended top down space shooter developed by two guys that miss the old star control days.

E.Y.E. Divine cybermancy might as well be the true sequel to the original Dues EX.

there are more if you look.

tbh offline games havent had a dry year...ever.

well for me, 2011 has been pretty "dry" for offline games tbh:P

dont get me wrong, it has been released some pretty big titles, and it's not even close to how bad it's been with MMOs, but still...

we've gotten Dragon Age II, Portal 2, Duke Nukem Forever, LA. Noire, etc so far, but (for me anyways) most of them have been one disappointment after the other, and some of them have actually been a waste of money...

so thats what I mean about this being a "Dry" year for games in general. Nothing great and exciting at all :/

once again, this is just me, I'm sure others have been pleased with releases so far.

and then again, we still got a couple of months left for great releases, so I'm gonna "hold my horses" for a while longer, before I point this out to be the worst year  of gaming (in years):P 

dont get me wrong, it has been released some pretty big titles, and it's not even close to how bad it's been with MMOs, but still...

we've gotten Dragon Age II, Portal 2, Duke Nukem Forever, LA. Noire, etc so far, but (for me anyways) most of them have been one disappointment after the other, and some of them have actually been a waste of money...

so thats what I mean about this being a "Dry" year for games in general. Nothing great and exciting at all :/

once again, this is just me, I'm sure others have been pleased with releases so far.

and then again, we still got a couple of months left for great releases, so I'm gonna "hold my horses" for a while longer, before I point this out to be the worst year  of gaming (in years):P 

well hopefully Deus EX, RAGE, Skyrim, BF3 & Arkham City will make up for it.

I wish people didn't discount the indie games...

Outlands, Bastion, From Dust, Terraria, SPAZ, E.Y.E., Jamestown, Frozen synapse, Sanctum...

Also some of the games i really liked that i felt were underrated like Bulletstorm, Hunted, Red Faction, Homefront.

Oh well, honestly i've been playing games just as long as you guys. Thankfully im not as critical. 

It doesnt upset me or ruin my experience if newer games are inspired by older games.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

It's been a great moment for me to catch up with single player games. I kicked myself for not having played Bayonetta before. I'm giving DA: Origins a good shake and I have many many more lined up that I get upset thinking of my poor bank account image

Going for 100% trophies/achievements has given me that extra incentive too.

No sweat. Great games are coming and once they're finally here it will have been worth the wait.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Z3R01

well hopefully Deus EX, RAGE, Skyrim, BF3 & Arkham City will make up for it.

Outlands, Bastion, From Dust, Terraria, SPAZ, E.Y.E., Jamestown, Frozen synapse, Sanctum...

Also some of the games i really liked that i felt were underrated like Bulletstorm, Hunted, Red Faction, Homefront.

Oh well, honestly i've been playing games just as long as you guys. Thankfully im not as critical. 

It doesnt upset me or ruin my experience if newer games are inspired by older games.

Don't forget WITN..aka War In The North..

http://www.warinthenorth.com/

Originally posted by Z3R01

I've kinda taken a break from indie games, due to spending to much money on crap xP

Bastion looks pretty neat though, but that one havent been released yet, or am I wrong?

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Yea i think you'll find the majority of people who fall under the 'experienced gamer' demographic have been finding it hard to find something that can captivate them long enough.

Personally, I just finished Mass Effect 1 and 2 again but this time I actually played them through end to end. Not like the first time where I just zerged through it. Must say it was quite enjoyable. Particularly with the DLCs. :)

I was pretty sure I wouldn't play Deus Ex, but I'm so desperate for a new game I'll play anything high quality and new!

That said I also played a bit of J-Tera Open Beta. That was fun, but it was frustrating playing in a foreign language and having 'constant connection issues'...can't elaborate here. :p

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.