Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Exclusive - Fort Ardashir Reveal

2»

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

It's nothing like LotRO or DDO's f2p system.

Drop from subscriber to free2play in AoC and you become limited to 2 gold, have no access to Khitai outside of the level 20 noob area "Gateway to Khitai" and no access to AA's regardless of the fact you PAID for the RotGS expansion before dropping to free2play, whereas in LotRO I have access to everything that came with my Moria collector's edition I bought before dropping to free2play and have no gold limit on any character created while I was a subscriber.

Subscribers in Lotro get something like 500 Turbine points a month to spend in the game free, AoC subscribers get 60 Paid Points a month and their shop prices make that 60 points a month laughable.

Free players in LotRO and DDO can also earn Turbine points just by playing the game. Not so in AoC.

Funcom screwed the proverbial pooch with their laughable "hybrid model". There is no free2play in AoC, only an extended and severely limited "free" trial.

The bigger issue is that people just like to complain. Game X gets released without some form of 7day trail and people complain, Game X get's a 7 day free trail and people will complain that it's to limited, Game X get's free to play and people will again complain that it's to limited. You see you can never please people that constantly look at things negatively.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Reklaw

Drop from subscriber to free2play in AoC and you become limited to 2 gold, have no access to Khitai outside of the level 20 noob area "Gateway to Khitai" and no access to AA's regardless of the fact you PAID for the RotGS expansion before dropping to free2play, whereas in LotRO I have access to everything that came with my Moria collector's edition I bought before dropping to free2play and have no gold limit on any character created while I was a subscriber.

Subscribers in Lotro get something like 500 Turbine points a month to spend in the game free, AoC subscribers get 60 Paid Points a month and their shop prices make that 60 points a month laughable.

Free players in LotRO and DDO can also earn Turbine points just by playing the game. Not so in AoC.

Funcom screwed the proverbial pooch with their laughable "hybrid model". There is no free2play in AoC, only an extended and severely limited "free" trial.

The bigger issue is that people just like to complain. Game X gets released without some form of 7day trail and people complain, Game X get's a 7 day free trail and people will complain that it's to limited, Game X get's free to play and people will again complain that it's to limited. You see you can never please people that constantly look at things negatively.

The only thing that bothers me about it is Funcom calling it "free2play". If they'd just truthfully called it an "extended trial"  , there'd be nothing for me to bitch about.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

The only thing that bothers me about it is Funcom calling it "free2play". If they'd just truthfully called it an "extended trial"  , there'd be nothing for me to bitch about.

I can understand that if a person is completely new to this genre and unknown to F2P and have absolute no knowledge about what it takes to create a MMORPG and are expecting a total full version of a game for free, but anyone who atleast been with this genre for lets say the last 2 years already knows there is always a catch to free to play games.

There needs to be some sort of revenue with these type of games that cost millions to build and money to maintain, but then again most of the new "kids" expect something completely free cause they don't think about what it actually takes.

Would you work for free and have no other source of income?

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Originally posted by Azrile

.  It is EXACTLY what not to do..  do not put items in the shop that allow players to dominate the game by buying.  Having  really good PVP gear purchasable for cash at the same time you launch a new pvp server is just terrible and is exactly the kind of money-grab that will hurt them.

That can bee seen as a good thing too, if you can buy good gear even casual PvP players can compete, and that is what all like, right? I do agree with others that the lack of AA points restricts FTP players in PvP.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

You get access to part of the expansion even w/o paying, namely the complete Gateway to Khitai zone incl all the questing content. In LotrO you won't have access to any questing content and that makes leveling become boring very quickly.

Don't be silly, a trial won't let you play a game up to level cap, while offering you all the leveling content that comes with it for unlimited time. That's just nonsense thinking.

Personally, I prefer AoC's being able to quest all I like while leveling more than getting bored of my mind while I was trying to level in LotrO. Questing content is the most important part while you're still leveling in an MMO, and in AoC that's all for free.

It IS F2P or hybrid F2P, only of a form that you don't like image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

There are  certain dungeons that aren't in the expansions that F2P players can't  run.

F2P players will not have AA's.

F2P players gold limit restricts most of the ingame market to them.

F2P players can't do grind factions.

F2P players have zero acess to endgame gear that isn't considered junk.

The only thing F2P players can do over a standard trial is level to the current cap and actually most standard trials let you play any class you wish.

I'm not saying F2P model will hurt AoC in any way and it will most likely do Funcom some good.   I don't play DDO or LotRO so I have no comment on their models but if they  are anything like AoC's current model then my opinion remains the same. 

Using the F2P model to give your floundering P2P  title a boost is insulting to me as a big supportor of the F2P model when you don't make your game F2P and keep it still largely P2P with  an wider enterance point.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I started playing when they switched to F2P.  I'm only in the mid 30's, but I don't really see myself playing after I hit the level cap.  I'd prefer a F2P model that allows me to unlock regions, dungeons, AA and such with one time expenditures.  With my lifetime membership to LOTRO, if I'm going to subscribe to a game it will probably be a game with tons of content like WOW or an upcoming game like TOR.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

WOW isn't F2P. It has a tonn of content but you have to pay for the months you need to get through it. You can do the exact same thing in AoC if you want.

I subb like before, keeps things easy. And to the people sayin that items shop items are better than ingame items... You are wrong in any way I can think of. You have to be an extremely bad player or uninformed individual, to not being able to get better ingame items than what you find in the itemshop. You just need to invest a minimum of time to get to it.

Speaking of Turan, awesome work FC. You've just earned my already 2 year long stay for another 1/2 year.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

What's Funny is. Make the game F2P and people still complain.

"Not giving me enough for Free!  Boo Hoo!"

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

And btw, the game is growing population like crazy!! It's fun to sea this old beast of an game finally take off. Join in chaps, don't miss out... And as long as you are ok playing a PoM, Demo, Guardian or Barbarian the game is actually free up to level cap (this is 8 months of content for the average player). After that you might want to considder spending a few bucks to get AA points and so on... But still, this is a bargain as fare as I am concerned.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163

If you guys want to see a REAL WORKING F2P model with an alternate subscription model, look at Wizard 101. It's the most simple game ever, but with the best F2P model in existance.

Basically you can sub and have everything open to you, or you can pay by zone and keep it forever.

All P2P games going F2P should adopt this system.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

whining freeloaders is the new wow-bash in mmo-forums. ridiculous. go away, beggars.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

WOW i cant believe how many peopel on here are bashing the free content lol.. Its FREE omg you people annoy the hell out of me.

The company is there to make money simple as, but AOC offers so much for free when you think about it. LVL 1-80 for nothing, sure u only get 4 classes, but I believe if you sub for a month and make the characters with the other classes you can then revert to f2p and keep them..

At the moment AOC is probally the best MMORPG when it comes to Graphics, gameplay, Solo, group and raid content.. PVP is good but there are other mmos ot there that have better PVP..

The fact the adding content like this on a regular basis is a good thing...

You know what if you play for free up to lvl 80 and enjoy it. .guess what put ya hand in your pocket and sub not everything in life is free...

• ToneFishToneFish Member UncommonPosts: 13

A lot of people seem to forget one thing when calling Funcom greedy or accusing them of trying to milk the player for money -  Funcom is not doing all that great in the financial department. They had to lay of 20% off their staff,  they have closed down most of their AoC servers over the years, only  a few are remaining.    They had to do something.   It is not about being greedy, it is about surviving and finding ways to not have to shut down the game completely.   Greed is when you are making a lot of money but still want more.

Other game developers out there charge for the game, charge a monthly fee to play it, charge for name changes, race changes, transfers and still have a paid store.  I guess this sits better with people than giving some things for free. All or nothing, is that what it takes?

• CrunchisCrunchis Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Thillian

And then, even if you get to PvP as a VIP player, how about those tomes in Lotro which permanently rise your stat by 10 and which are quite cheap from store, and almost impossible to get in game? Aren't those little disadvantageous to free players? WAKE UP FOR F*** SAKE, paying customers will always be prioritized.

You can use those tombs as a f2p player. But they only give +10 to a stat -> which is pretty much meh...

I have a lvl 65 in lotro and with fairly crappy armor the 2 main stats my char uses are maxed out at 650 so those tombs are pretty worless endgame. err unless you're wearing lvl 50 armor or something.

I will say this though, leveling past lvl 35 or so in lotro is pretty absurd without vip. For this reason alone the aoc f2p intrests me.

I logged into aoc last night @ Est primetime for the first time in years. The main thing I noticed was that khashata = ghost town. And when I logged out there was still only one instance... lotro dosen't have that issue and I'm currently on one of the lower pop servers. When I get a little free time I'll roll a new toon on a different aoc server. Hopfully there's more people around. It was a great game, minus the glitching...

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by emolith

Looks fun, too bad I don't play a free to play game that requires VIP membership AND a cash shop.

Too bad is people talking about what they don't know... 

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

I refuse to play a game that had false advertising at launch.   PvP was broken, graphical abilities said to be included in the game weren't there, etc.  Took my money elsewhere and never looked back.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

I can understand that if a person is completely new to this genre and unknown to F2P and have absolute no knowledge about what it takes to create a MMORPG and are expecting a total full version of a game for free, but anyone who atleast been with this genre for lets say the last 2 years already knows there is always a catch to free to play games.

There needs to be some sort of revenue with these type of games that cost millions to build and money to maintain, but then again most of the new "kids" expect something completely free cause they don't think about what it actually takes.

So you're telling me that Turbine is working for free and receiving no income from DDO and LotRO? I mean obviously you're telling me this, since you're of the opinion Funcom had to make their "f2p" gimped as hell to make any money from it instead of copying an already tried and proven successful model.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

So you're telling me that Turbine is working for free and receiving no income from DDO and LotRO? I mean obviously you're telling me this, since you're of the opinion Funcom had to make their "f2p" gimped as hell to make any money from it instead of copying an already tried and proven successful model.

No I did not say anything about Turbine. And sure havn't said anything about Turbine not recieving income. Perhpas next time actually read something before you want to make a reply.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by lathaan

whining freeloaders is the new wow-bash in mmo-forums. ridiculous. go away, beggars.

QFT, its like a new plague with all the folks that prolly never had a job or the need to earn money, everything comes for free, food, games,...