Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlantica Online: First Impressions With Ripper X

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Atlantica Online is one of the first games to give a fresh look at turn-based strategic combat. In today's exclusive MMORPG.com video series, Ripper X gives his first impressions on the free to play MMORPG Atlantica Online. Check out our Atlantica Online: First Impressions with Ripper X feature.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

FTLOG let the game die....the developers showed their true colors when they added stamina. I was in beta 1/2 and was delighted with the game so much I planned on spending money on costumes to support it. Then they added stamina and I lost all interest.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Originally posted by grndzro

FTLOG let the game die....the developers showed their true colors when they added stamina. I was in beta 1/2 and was delighted with the game so much I planned on spending money on costumes to support it. Then they added stamina and I lost all interest.

Ummmm, stamina is gone now. Move along.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Will you marry me? LOL

Do many people still play Atlantica? I played for about 4-6 months when the game launched and got to level 50-ish before getting bored with it. Seemed to get a bit grind-y getting new weapons and armour. Might have to go back and see what's changed. I remember it having a cash shop with those random item boxes for $10 that people would waste money on, and complain on the forums when they didn't get anything good.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

can anyone else not get the game's official website in anything but spanish and portugese?

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

well, i wish there would be some more games out there with the combat system of atlantica online. i like this round based group action, especially the tbs-system (the closest combat thing in todays mmorpgs to the original pen&paper (a)d&d spirit). until level 90-100 everything is fine and a player gets everything he needs to survive and to have fun with this game, but then ... atlantica online turns out to be a 'pay to win' game. not only in pvp in pve aswell unless you want to grind 24/7.

for example:

while you get the adventure licence pack (teleportation/autobattling/healthcheck - well, everything very useful for a player) and blessing (+ attackpower/defence/experience) licences in the beginning as gifts a player won't miss them later on. to puchase both of them with a 1 month duration in the cashshop you have to pay 20€ / 30 $.

some mercanaries you can add to your group (and very powerful ones) you can buy only in the cashshop. they might have only a slight inpact in pve and make grinding easier, but in pvp they have a huge significance.

and the cashshop itself ... pure gambling. lets say you want a nice mount (adds attackpower and defence to you). to get it you have to buy one box for 10$ but the box does have 9 other possible items (but less much valuable than the mount). so with you 10$ you only bought a 10% chance to get the mount you want. and thats only on the paper.

i played until lvl 120 (not the lvl cap) and spend around 150$ without doing pvp. we had about 50 active people in our guild, all over lvl 100 and the majority of them spended 50$ a month in this game. well, atlantica is a very nice game, but also the best example that f2p is a big illusion.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Atlantica is one of the few good F2p games.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

turn based as in like final fantasy!? gotta check this out!

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I grew bored to death of the grindy gameplay & seriously overstretched storyline that is increddibly linear that goes through it. Ultimately there just wasn't enough variety in the game to keep me interested.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

A very entertaining review, Ripper X, thanks.  The game looks interesting enough for me to give it a try.  Liked the turn-based combat, reminded me of my early days of rpg'ing with FF on the ps2 ^.^

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Ripper !  Why is an Englishman trying a fake, supposedly cool, street wise American accent FFS?

Talk properly !