Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Should We Add Diablo 3?

Comments

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Add it, even if it is just for the entertaining passionately retarded arguing over the subject :)

In case some have not noticed, MMORPG.com has been expanding their scope by opening sister sites that cater to more specific types of online play (fps guru etc).

Perhaps there should be a new name for D3 and GW type games. If so, who would vote the name and make it an industry standard? Should we elect someone? World Wide Game Guru should be his/her tittle :)

Just sayin :)

P.S. I mean no disrespect to retarded people, they are funny and awesome.

Work hard Play Harder

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Diablo 3 is close enough to be included here, since the definition of what should be included has been broadened previously over the years.

But please, don't start including sports MMO's on here....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

You have World of Tanks on your site, which is by no means any more of an MMO than say Counter Strike or CoD, so why not add Diablo 3?

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

I dont know, I have not followed the D-series but have to ask, is this a coop game? I mean, can you and other players in the server...meet anywhere? A hub? Or is it like BF series where you build up your toon and go into pvp? Is the only MMORPG part of D3 the fact that you level up a toon?

• PunixPunix Member Posts: 15

massive? maybe

multiplayer? sure is

online? according to blizzard you have no choice but to be online so yep

rpg? cmon its diablo

maybe make a morpg ripoff site for this one, or just suck it up and add it

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by servedogg

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by lizardbones

Massive - pretty sure it will be

Multiplayer - check

Online - check

RPG - check

It should be added.

It is not massive.  All the gameplay is instanced worlds with small parties.  How is that massive?

Exactly.  It's a co-op game really, not massive.

How many people could I potentially group with in D3? More than 4? If so it's already a bigger group experience than TOR is offering, massive or not really doesn"t matter IMO. It's relevancy to the player-base that's most important. If it's relevant and would generate discussion (which it's already shown to in multiple forum sections) it's fair game IMO.

TOR will have worlds with huge populations.  I think you are severely missing the point. 

No I don't think I missed that point, as if you read my post I said massive ( huge populations) isn't as important as relevancy to those who play MMO's.

I'm sure many fans of MMOs will find it fun and wont care that it is small population instanced games, but being massive is most definitely relevant if you want to call a game a MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) game. 

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

This does bring the question of should something like Red Dead Redemption also be included here, as comparatively speaking it's got a lot in common with MMO mechanics with it's multiplayer elements, minus the RPG of course.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

Multiplayer - check

Online - check

RPG - check

It should be added.

It is not massive.  All the gameplay is instanced worlds with small parties.  How is that massive?

How many people could I potentially group with in D3? More than 4? If so it's already a bigger group experience than TOR is offering, massive or not really doesn"t matter IMO. It's relevancy to the player-base that's most important. If it's relevant and would generate discussion (which it's already shown to in multiple forum sections) it's fair game IMO.

TOR will have worlds with huge populations.  I think you are severely missing the point. 

No I don't think I missed that point, as if you read my post I said massive ( huge populations) isn't as important as relevancy to those who play MMO's.

I'm sure many fans of MMOs will find it fun and wont care that it is small population instanced games, but being massive is most definitely relevant if you want to call a game a MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) game. 

Oh I agree, but I don't think anyone is trying to call D3 an MMORPG, it's just a question of should it be given it's own section.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

No, its not an MMORPG. 

Just because Blizzard make it, and its popular, does not mean everyone wants to play it. I dont. I cant stand those games, and I dont want to be bombarded with news and comments about it.

You have two other sites, let them deal with it.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

If you have Guild Wars on here as an MMO how in the heck can you not have Diablo?  The only thing Diablo doesn't have that Guild Wars did was the in game virtual chat rooms.  Anytime you actually left the "chat room" to fight anything you were alone or with a limited small group of people.

Sooooo... Either remove Guild Wars as it was designed by the same damn people anyway (and is the same damn game) or add Diablo!

• BoosthungryBoosthungry Member Posts: 137

Diablo 3 is simply a very polished Dungeon Crawler with an Arena Style PVP aspect.  What is the big deal about it?  It takes the thing I hate most about MMOs (the dungeons) and focuses solely on it. 

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

There are thousands of RPG sites, and they're better than this one. I come here for MMOs. If you add D3, you need to add about 1000 other titles.

Why don't you guys just start a new site about RPGs, and leave this one strictly MMOGs?

Personally I think you guys don't care too much about the focus of the site as much as you do about the hit counters.

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

An MMO used to mean a persistant world where you could "live" a second life.

These days, MMO apparently means "A game. Online."

Which is not the same thing at all.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Wow, you guys certainly opened a can of worms with this thread lol. Ok, I'll bite, is it an RPG or does it have a place where Massive Onlike gamers can see and chat and interact with each other? MMORPG.com stands for.....what?

• fenrisbluefenrisblue Member UncommonPosts: 138

i come here to get mmo new not news about other types of games, you can go many places to get news about the other types of games, there are relativley few GOOD sources of mmo news, if you guys start wasting space on non mmo news i may as well go to g4 to get all my news, so if you hav not figured it out, NO you ahoulsn't add non mmo news to the game until said game fits all the definitions that are impied a masssive world where you interact with thousands of people at the same time and can only be entered into by a persistant world frankly some of the curent games shouldn't have been added either, like guild wars 1, the only thing massive about it is the hubs,but enough of my chatter , you get the point

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

yes add it, if anything to show that people really pay a subscribtion that adds a not much better/diffrent experience than D3, or other games with online side to it, and over all usually make them less fun by having a high amount of players around in the same area.....havent read 32 people on a server anywhere, guess that how many people that would be on a D2 server? either way if so that is already more than a raid in the more popular MMOs

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    D3 should be added as a unique exception. Another way to put it would be this. If D2 or D1 were to be released today hypotheticaly, then they should not be added based on the content they offered. D3 has elements that we MMOers care about like, potential massive economy and global competetive PvP. Also, many seasoned veteran players are being attracted by simpler 'browser-based' and 'point-and-click' style games. This trend is at least worthy of a few articles here and there.
  • poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226

Multiplayer - check
    Online - check
    RPG - checkIt should be added.

Seems like it fits the criteria.

Originally posted by fenrisblue

i come here to get mmo new not news about other types of games, you can go many places to get news about the other types of games, there are relativley few GOOD sources of mmo news, if you guys start wasting space on non mmo news i may as well go to g4 to get all my news, so if you hav not figured it out, NO you ahoulsn't add non mmo news to the game until said game fits all the definitions that are impied a masssive world where you interact with thousands of people at the same time and can only be entered into by a persistant world frankly some of the curent games shouldn't have been added either, like guild wars 1, the only thing massive about it is the hubs,but enough of my chatter , you get the point

I'm of the opposite opinion, if they add other games. I won't have to go to the MTV of gaming type of sites like IGN or G4, to get info on other games I'm interested in, win win for me.

Multiplayer - check

Online - check

RPG - check

It should be added.

Oh I agree, but I don't think anyone is trying to call D3 an MMORPG, it's just a question of should it be given it's own section.

many games that are not mmo have been given articles on mmorpg.com,the articles have been clearly titles as such, i have no problem with that, i do have a problem with it being ADDED which means when you go to the game list it would be amongst the mmo titles,as i have said already this site is about mmo news,and is what makes it a destination for me when i want to know about mmo news, if this hapens we need to be able to seperate the titles by mmo and non mmo, and not just color coded , but a functional and intuitive search engine.and the news articles neew a tab for mmo and non mmo, or you can just change the name of the site, to reflect its no longer mmorpg niche

many games that are not mmo have been given articles on mmorpg.com,the articles have been clearly titles as such, i have no problem with that, i do have a problem with it being ADDED which means when you go to the game list it would be amongst the mmo titles,as i have said already this site is about mmo news,and is what makes it a destination for me when i want to know about mmo news, if this hapens we need to be able to seperate the titles by mmo and non mmo, and not just color coded , but a functional and intuitive search engine.and the news articles neew a tab for mmo and non mmo, or you can just change the name of the site, to reflect its no longer mmorpg niche

Sorry had to get rid of the pyramid we were building. While I agree, it doesn't seem as though it would be that way considering staff comments here. The way it sounds they're in the works of splitting up the games list.

• movros99movros99 Member UncommonPosts: 125

It should be added as an exception to the rule.  Another way to put it: If Diablo 2 or Diablo 1 were being released today hypotheticly, then they should not be added because they lacked certain elements that we're interested in as an MMO community.  Namley the potential grand economy the D3 is gearing up to offer, and PvP on a large scale via battlegrounds.  

Also there is a growing trend for seasoned gamers wanting to play simpler 'browser-based' or 'point-and-click' games which is worthy of a few articles.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Well seeing as the MMORPG genre is being more and more dilluted every day I dont see why not. Heck even non MMORPGs like League of Legends are listed on this site so dont discriminate and just add every game that allows alot of people to play the game online, be it on the same session/world or not.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I see alot of people making the misstake in thinking that the first M of MMORPG stands for Massive. This is incorrect, it stands for Massively.

Why is this important? Because there is a difference between Massively Multiplayer game and Massive Multiplayer game. Massively refers to the Multiplayer part where as Massive is a standalone word, not related to the Multiplayer game.

A game that is Massive (e.g. huge world) and Multiplayer (2-8+ players) is not the same as Massively Multiplayer which means that far more than 2-8 players need to be able to play it for it to be considered Massively Multiplayer becuase 2-8 is not Massively Multiplayer.

Sorry had to get rid of the pyramid we were building. While I agree, it doesn't seem as though it would be that way considering staff comments here. The way it sounds they're in the works of splitting up the games list.

i have nothing further to add that would move this conversation forward,...but i LIKED the pyramid LOL jk