Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions on Diablo 3 & Torchlight 2

HexDragonHexDragon Member Posts: 10

Hey!

I wanted to know how Blizzard recent desicisons to add RMT, remove modding and offline play modes has changed your minds, or not changed your mind.

I've added Torchlight 2 into the poll because it seems to be the big one people are migrating to. Thanks!

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

There is no option for, "My decision is unchanged. I will definitely buy TL2, I might buy D3."

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

I enjoyed the freedom of skill choices in Torchlight 1, and hope it is just as much fun in TII.

Diablo III I will buy because I've enjoyed every other game Blizzard has released, for a day or a month i still found them fun. *shrugs

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Torchlight 2 is going to be cheaper, for one, and most importantly, to me....it allows for offline play.  I have Comcast and it NEVER fails that when I REALLY want to play a game, Comcast is down doing "upgrades" or whatever (so they say).  Offline play is valuable to me.  I'm also not real hip on RMT.  I know, I know....it's "the way of the future," but that doesn't stop me from hating it.

Just my opinion. 

Oh....and Torchlight was so much fun.  So were D1 and D2 LOD online, but it's been a long time and you know....I just don't feel like giving Blizz any more of my money after WoW.  They had me by the balls (if I had any) for 6 years.  That's enough.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

You do know that Torchlight 2 will be Pay2Win too, Perfect World have the final say on what will happen to t2 and we all know that PW run p2w / rmt games.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I was going to buy both games, but the more that I've heard about Diablo 3, the more I've realized I'd just be pissing my money away on a sub-par game. It's not like Diablo 3 is in any way innovative or unique compared to it's competition. Torchlight 2 is shaping up to have several advantages over Diablo 3, so I really see no reason to waste my money on a half-baked rehash that tries to force RMT down my throat.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Diablo 3's always-on-required internet connection may be the dealbreaker for me. Seriously, people in their ivory towers thinking everyone has access to 10Mbs, hardwired, fault-free internet really kills me. Try living out in the sticks where your only options are satellite or cell tower. I have a 5gb/mo cap and I run a pretty shotty 700k (I can hit 1.4M at max). Being kicked off my offline, single player game because the cell towers are overloaded is just plain wrong.  It's one thing to have to deal with it while playing online games, but it's another story when I want to play a single player game. Anyone remember the Ubisoft Assassin's Creed always-on fiasco? Blizz could learn from someone else's mistakes.

So, I guess to answer the question, I'll be looking at my alternatives pretty closely.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I will still buy both. Because i am sure that Diablo 3 will be a good game , and Torchlight 2 awesome.

Doesnt change the fact that Blizzards are douches

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

I will be getting Diablo 3, having to be online doesn't really effect me, seeing as my computer is connected all the time regardless.  Would i have prefered an option for offline?  Sure, but its not the biggest deal.  Now if they had a montly fee for the game, I wouldn't buy it.  But since people paying to win, are winning a hack and slash game, not an MMO, I don't care.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Dunno, havn't played either so I'm not in the position to give an accurate response.  

However, based on having played Diablo II extensively and loving it, and having played Torchlight for a short time but only coming to the conclusion of a massive meh.  I could see myself greatly enjoying Diablo III far more.

• ThydusThydus Member Posts: 24

I will buy both because for me are good game but I'm not convinced of diablo..for me they ruined the game and its history.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

TL2 is supporting mods and Diablo 3 isn't. Thats the biggest reason for me to get TL2 over Diablo 3.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    Torch light 2 screw pay to win and rmt.

Sic Luceat Lux

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by romanator0

TL2 is supporting mods and Diablo 3 isn't. Thats the biggest reason for me to get TL2 over Diablo 3.

I agree the mod community for PC games is just awesome, and to not allow it makes Diablo 3 less appealing. In fact I am super excited for Skyrim to release, so I can play through it once on vanilla, and then go find what quests, NPC, armor, and tweaks the modders have done to the game.

And the mob support for TL2 will keep me playing for a lot longer than an unmodded Diablo 3.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

It would be much closer if I didn't find Torchlight mindnumbingly boring.

Diablo 3 is a day one purchase, Torchlight 2 a maybe when and if i get tired of Diablo, and if people who's opinions I trust have good things to say.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I wish you had another choice in the Poll, OP, like other.  I know this is a specific poll, but none-the-less, I really want to commit to one Action-based RPG, and I chose Torchlight 2 over D3 due to Blizzards new RMT AH pursuit (a slippery slope and potentially veiled attempt at something else that I'm not in a rush on supporting) and lack of modding.

I think those 2 points push me more towards TL2 more-so than D3. 

Reason why I also mentioned "other" is that since I am seriously considering a D3 Action RPG alternative, rather than D3 due to Blizzard shenanigans, I am also watching / following:

Path of Exile http://www.pathofexile.com/

Grim Dawn  http://www.grimdawn.com/index.php

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by just1opinion

Torchlight 2 is going to be cheaper, for one, and most importantly, to me....it allows for offline play.  I have Comcast and it NEVER fails that when I REALLY want to play a game, Comcast is down doing "upgrades" or whatever (so they say).  Offline play is valuable to me.  I'm also not real hip on RMT.  I know, I know....it's "the way of the future," but that doesn't stop me from hating it.

Just my opinion. 

Oh....and Torchlight was so much fun.  So were D1 and D2 LOD online, but it's been a long time and you know....I just don't feel like giving Blizz any more of my money after WoW.  They had me by the balls (if I had any) for 6 years.  That's enough.

And aloud MODS!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Kendane

I will be getting Diablo 3, having to be online doesn't really effect me, seeing as my computer is connected all the time regardless.  Would i have prefered an option for offline?  Sure, but its not the biggest deal.  Now if they had a montly fee for the game, I wouldn't buy it.  But since people paying to win, are winning a hack and slash game, not an MMO, I don't care.

What kind of internet connection do YOU have that's never down?  Whatever it is....I want it.  Comcast cable, which is "connected all the time," still has times they are down for repairs, bad weather, upgrades, whatever.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

What kind of internet connection do YOU have that's never down?  Whatever it is....I want it.  Comcast cable, which is "connected all the time," still has times they are down for repairs, bad weather, upgrades, whatever.

What kind of free time do you have, that you can't tolerate occasional down time? Whatever it is, THAT is what I want.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I was pretty set on buying Diablo 3, and it would've been the first Blizzard product I've bought since Diablo 2 came out in 2000.  But after these 3 idiotic decisions by Blizzard, I've changed my mind.

Now, this doesn't mean I'll automatically buy Torchlight 2.  I need to see more.  It's been a while since I played a game like Diablo 1 & 2.

Which is why Blizzard's decisions are such a big letdown.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by SonofSeth

What kind of free time do you have, that you can't tolerate occasional down time? Whatever it is, THAT is what I want.

Having the option to play offline makes gameplay more convenient for all involved. Whether it be because their Internet connection is down, unstable, or they're otherwise not able to connect at times... which can be the case a lot of the time if you travel. Having the option to play offline circumvents connectivity issues, which means Torchlight 2 is superior to Diablo 3 in that respect... among several other aspects.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Where's the "I won't buy either" option

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by Starpower

Where's the "I won't buy either" option

+1

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

i will buy d3.

Tl1 was quite boreing so i will skip on tl2.

• katasteelkatasteel Member UncommonPosts: 30

Diablo 3 may have RMT but you don't need to use it.

It will also have a normal gold based auction house.

These most fun of these games is finding great loot not buying it.

I don't really see a huge difference between buying it with gold or real money, to me either way makes the game less fun.

So i will buy D3 and just not use the auction houses. And I will also get T2 and play it when I can't play D3.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I'm going to go with Diablo 3.  I played torchlight, it was a decent game, but the lack of multiplayer really killed it for me.  I cant stand dungeon crawl games with no multiplayer.  I mainly got it for a 'support the developer' type of thing.

The auction house thing has no bearing with me.  Heck, I didnt even know Diablo 3 would HAVE an auction house.  If blizzard wants a cut of the revenue, its kinda like steam wanting a cut of DLC and what not.  Every auction house takes a cut of sales, either in games, or in the real world.  Since real money would be exchanged between players, it stands to reason blizzard would take a fee from that real money.

anything is better than game hopping looking for trades.

I do agree, however, 100% with the concern over off-line play.  It would not affect me personally, but the option should be there.