Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay 2 win becoming legitimate? Have we really lost our way this much?

Comments

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by Gishgeron

I agree with you SO HARD.

If a player never told you how they got their gear, you'd never know.  You'd just play with them and be glad to have someone to experience the game with.  Its not even your business HOW they got what they have.  You need only concern yourself with how YOU do.  Raithe has been absolutely obtuse this whole thread about some imaginary change in who they will play with because of this.  People you play with already RMT.  TONS of them do.  You've never known before, and you won't know, or care, now.

First of all, it DOES affect my gameplay when I booted from games becasue my gear is not up to par with all the RMAH users, or when I am not given credit for my efforts because people assume I bought my gear. It also affects my gameplay when I can't realistically access the Gold AH because my legitimate ways of acquiring gold are obsolete due to inflation caused by rampant gold farming/selling/buying through the RMAH.

Secondly, sure, lots of people already RMT but it will be MUCH MUCH MORE in Diablo 3  since people don't have to risk anything to cheat. Just because you can't beat RMTers doesn't mean you should join them, specially when joining them means giving up a franchise's integrity and risking a runaway economy.

Finally, it completely destroy the point of the game: The whole point of Diablo has been killing monsters to level up and acquire loot. If the RMAH allows you to buy items, gold and characters then what's the point of the game? Fighting for no real reason? I can do that in a regular hack n slash such a God of War or any fighting game.

This whole thing has very little to do with the actual game or the player base, it's a completely corporate decision - Blizzard doesn't want to spend the money required to protect their game, instead giving up on it(and their game) and trying to profit from it. 

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Just don't play...   find a game where the developer cares about his project0dream and doesn't have a F2P bailout plan like all these other Business men.

Play ONLY open world games..  get away from cheap server run MMO's that are zones and instancing.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Starpower

Originally posted by Bladestrom

If you pay £10 a month by subscribing, and £120 a year on average in game shops then it makes no difference.  Some people are getting all hot under the collar because they are confusing cash shops that offer well balanced items and games that are deliberatly exploiting by offering best in slot items or consumables for cash.   That is the only issue with cash shops.

This is D3 we are talking about. An ARPG that shouldn't have had any kind of RMT linked to it period.

Its Blizzards. If they want to add an AH like that, thats their call. Period.  Its up to any given player to decide if they want to play it. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Originally posted by tinuelle

5 bucks for an item beats 4 hours raiding, then rolling with 6 others for 1 item any day!

Play for advantage equals pay for advantage.

Just as time equals money.

When It comes to MMOs I think RMT like this would be an excellent idea. Raids are a hassle I personally don't feel like dealing with

I would prefer a system where everyone in the raid gets a component of the item.

The item may have 6 components, which would mean if you do the raid successfully 6 times, you get the item, no rolling.

Best idea ever. Now you just have to figure out how to eliminate min/max type raiders with elitist attitudes, who sleeps with dps parsers and tapes every fight just to critique everyones performances and raids are instantly desireable again

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by Bladestrom

If you pay £10 a month by subscribing, and £120 a year on average in game shops then it makes no difference.  Some people are getting all hot under the collar because they are confusing cash shops that offer well balanced items and games that are deliberatly exploiting by offering best in slot items or consumables for cash.   That is the only issue with cash shops.

This is D3 we are talking about. An ARPG that shouldn't have had any kind of RMT linked to it period.

Its Blizzards. If they want to add an AH like that, thats their call. Period.  Its up to any given player to decide if they want to play it. 

Noo you don't say?

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Raithe-Nor

If a player never told you how they got their gear, you'd never know.  You'd just play with them and be glad to have someone to experience the game with.  Its not even your business HOW they got what they have.  You need only concern yourself with how YOU do.  Raithe has been absolutely obtuse this whole thread about some imaginary change in who they will play with because of this.  People you play with a mmorpg is to roleplay.  ROLEPLAY.  Get it in your head.  Only 40% responded that they powergame.

I played Diablo and Diablo 2 to enjoy the story and to wipe out tons of demons and undead, and eventually get to kill the big bad boss demon himself.

You can do all of these same things STILL.  Whether or not someone bought a sheild on RMT is not preventing you from this aspect of the game.  In fact...it may very well be the REASON they bought it...so that they can do all of those things without having to wait for the bloody thing to drop on the 5000th kill.  Bottom line?  You can still enjoy the RP side of it.  You won't be getting booted from games, ignoring the fact such players will likely be overgeared and not even NEED you...Blizzard has been using a gear matching system for its multiplayer for some time now.  I'd be openly shocked to hear they would not do so for random groups in D3.   This is, of course, ALSO IGNORING the fact you'll most likely only be playing with your friends ANYWAY. 

I can see VERY CLEARLY what is going on here.  There are a ton of people on this site that absolutely cannot stand that their personal value will be hampered because they can no longer powergame.  I know this because if it is not about THAT, there is no argument to even make.  RMT does not affect you in THIS GAME SPECIFICALLY because its 90% a solo, or friend only, affair.  The blue moon chance you decide to random it up...you won't know who bought what.  I don't care WHAT you say about that, unless they are openly ranting about it...most players dont run around screaming about how awesome they are for buying something.  Even if they DO...be thankful they shared how crappy they are with you and leave.  They'd be just as crappy without the RMT...and you'd be forced to wait until you were time invested in the game before it surfaced.

Now...in a more traditional MMO setting...there ARE some different implications to be made.  I think RMT still has a place there.  But its a different place.  I wouldn't ever allow top tier stuff on such a set up.  I might consider entry level gear on RMT.  Not at first...but as content begins to age it would certainly help bridge the gap.  In either case, RMT is much more difficult in that setting.  This is not that setting.  Not at ALL.  Its so far from comparable that I don't even see what we are discussing.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

5 bucks for an item beats 4 hours raiding, then rolling with 6 others for 1 item any day!

When It comes to MMOs I think RMT like this would be an excellent idea. Raids are a hassle I personally don't feel like dealing with

I would prefer a system where everyone in the raid gets a component of the item.

The item may have 6 components, which would mean if you do the raid successfully 6 times, you get the item, no rolling.

Best idea ever. Now you just have to figure out how to eliminate min/max type raiders with elitist attitudes, who sleeps with dps parsers and tapes every fight just to critique everyones performances and raids are instantly desireable again

This is off topic...but I like it as well.  Nice thinking, and I agree that it would make raiding a fun ideal for me again.  This kind of thing is exactly why I love reading these forums.

• BigjitBigjit Member Posts: 59

I myself am seriously considering not  buying Diablo 3 because of the RMT. While I realize it will not have any degree of impact etiher on blizzard or my gaming enjoyment, I can't help but feel like gamers in general are being pushed into buying and spending more fo rwhat we used to get for free.

Take for example FPSers. In a not too distant past maps were made by the community and some of the very best of them came from players. Now it's almost expected to wait for the developers to give a small handfull expansion and to drop anywhere from 15 to 25 dollars in the process.

Now we have been pushed so far as the very idea of what blizzard is suggesting is now okay. 10 years ago there would have been pure outrage at the thought and no game developer would even entertain the thought of this.

All I can see happening in 10 years from now is game developers more or less selling us a car without tires or an unwinable/finishable game without paying extra. Giving us a locked box and selling us the keys after the initial/first payement for said box. And then we in turn will.....thank them for it?

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by fundayz

If a player never told you how they got their gear, you'd never know.  You'd just play with them and be glad to have someone to experience the game with.  Its not even your business HOW they got what they have.  You need only concern yourself with how YOU do.  Raithe has been absolutely obtuse this whole thread about some imaginary change in who they will play with because of this.  People you play with already RMT.  TONS of them do.  You've never known before, and you won't know, or care, now.

First of all, it DOES affect my gameplay when I booted from games becasue my gear is not up to par with all the RMAH users, or when I am not given credit for my efforts because people assume I bought my gear. It also affects my gameplay when I can't realistically access the Gold AH because my legitimate ways of acquiring gold are obsolete due to inflation caused by rampant gold farming/selling/buying through the RMAH.

Common scenarios which got nothing to do with RMT. Booted because your gear is not upto the par? well you can be booted regardless because some players are just like that. You think players need a reason to act like a complete tool? Why do you need credit from others for your gear? do you really love attention that much? actually your legitimate way of acquiring gold is still there. You loot items put them in AH and other players will buy it from you. As far as inflaiton is concerned. I haven't played a single MMO where inflaiton doesn't exist regardless for RMT.

Secondly, sure, lots of people already RMT but it will be MUCH MUCH MORE in Diablo 3  since people don't have to risk anything to cheat. Just because you can't beat RMTers doesn't mean you should join them, specially when joining them means giving up a franchise's integrity and risking a runaway economy.

Sorry but MUCH MUCH MORE already exists more than you think. The only difference is that now players won't be scared to be handed a banhammer. Integrity got nothing to do with it. The day players started indulging in RMT the integrity went down the toilet. And don't even start on economy part because economy doesn't exists in MMOS or online co op games.

Finally, it completely destroy the point of the game: The whole point of Diablo has been killing monsters to level up and acquire loot. If the RMAH allows you to buy items, gold and characters then what's the point of the game? Fighting for no real reason? I can do that in a regular hack n slash such a God of War or any fighting game.

Different players look at 'the point' of the game differently. So nope nothing is destroyed. Maybe just for you but not for everyone. People who are able to control their emotions and rage know that they can continue to play in their normal playstyle and that AH is an option and not necessity. No one is forced to use AH so old ways of acquiring loot is still there.

This whole thing has very little to do with the actual game or the player base, it's a completely corporate decision - Blizzard doesn't want to spend the money required to protect their game, instead giving up on it(and their game) and trying to profit from it. 

hehe, you problem is that you pay more attention to others gameplay than your own. Just like that old lady in my neighbourhood who like to peep into other peoples lives and complain all day long that their way of living is wrong. Is it really affecting her life? nope. But it is in her nature she just likes to be a drama queen.

So nope nothing what others do is really affecting you in D3 uness you  let them. 

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

(since there is no diablo forum)

Diablo 3's RMAH system is supposed to be a solution to the item sites that spam Diablo 2 endlessly. 

But what is to prevent these sites from just buying up the entire inventory and re-listing the items again and horribly inflated prices?

Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

Diablo 3's RMAH system is supposed to be a solution to the item sites that spam Diablo 2 endlessly. 

But what is to prevent these sites from just buying up the entire inventory and re-listing the items again and horribly inflated prices?

Nothing really. Except that most people wouldn't pay for them at that steep of a mark up.  It would be ultimately self defeating. But that doesn't mean that some will not try. ^^

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

hehe, you problem is that you pay more attention to others gameplay than your own. Just like that old lady in my neighbourhood who like to peep into other peoples lives and complain all day long that their way of living is wrong. Is it really affecting her life? nope. But it is in her nature she just likes to be a drama queen.

So nope nothing what others do is really affecting you in D3 uness you  let them. 

This is not correct unless you are on a separate server. 

Everything in the game affects you, including other players.

Unless the game mechanics prevent it.

In this case, the game mechanics don't prevent it.

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by Wraithone

Nothing really. Except that most people wouldn't pay for them at that steep of a mark up.  It would be ultimately self defeating. But that doesn't mean that some will not try. ^^

dont underestimate the power of impatience.

A whole lotta GOTTA HAVE IT NAO! going around. 

People are paying hundreds of dollars for unusual hats in TF2. HATS!

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Xzen

I don't know about you guys but D3 isn't pay to win for me. I'll be buying the game and selling off all the rares for real money. I guess it is pay to win if you're the chump paying real money for gear.

Exactly.

My plans for D3 are simple -- play and enjoy the game on my terms and with my friends. If someone wants to pay me real money for any rare gear I find and can't use, I have no problems selling it to them. It's their money, and it won't affect my gameplay. *shrug*

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

The other three million people trying to do the same thing.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Um, the market :)?

I mean, you can try to start a cartel by buying up all of a certain type of good and then sell it at a higher price, but this is risky business.  If you misjudge demand, or if others start regenerating supply for the good you bought out relatively quickly, you're going to take a big loss.

Cartels only work when they're able to very tightly control the supply of a market so they can fix prices, look at the DeBeers cartel for a good example.   You're not going to be able to control the D3 RMAH market like that, the barrier to entry (i.e. buying the game) are way to low.  Anyone can join the market.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

It's a freaking game, if you don't have the time to play a game then don't play it, or only play it casually. I hate these people who think that becasue they have money they are entitled to bypass a game's mechanics.

Real life resources shouldn't factor AT ALL into one's in-game success.

So for you success in a game is wearing a set of gear?

It might surprise you that a lot of people find fun just doing the dungeon crawl.

I remember the days when we were young, when we play board games just for the purpose of rolling a dice with a bunch of friends. No one thinks that autofinishing the board game or autobuilding hotels over a monopoly map is fun.

Same for BBQ, we want to kill time watching the fire, if we need the finished grill, we only need to make a call for fast food delivery.
    Originally posted by Aguitha

I know i'd never play a game where success is based on how much RL cash you can throw in it instead of work and dedication.

A game that demands work and dedication? Are you talking about work? Oh yeah, you use the word "work".

Being booted from a game? This is Diablo. You can form your own dungeon crawl any time. And how do you know for sure that this RMAH will create inflation? There are quite some speculation that RMAH might lower price by breaking the gold farmers' monopoly.

If the game for you is dungeon crawl, you can dungeon crawl forever without looking at the AH. If you look at the AH, that is your own fault.

If Blizzard believe that they can save resources and fight RMT with RMAH, let them try it. What if they are right? Maybe that turns out to be an effective method and far less costly than policing the player base. Who knows?
    Originally posted by Bigjit

I myself am seriously considering not  buying Diablo 3 because of the RMT. While I realize it will not have any degree of impact etiher on blizzard or my gaming enjoyment, I can't help but feel like gamers in general are being pushed into buying and spending more fo rwhat we used to get for free.
    Take for example FPSers. In a not too distant past maps were made by the community and some of the very best of them came from players. Now it's almost expected to wait for the developers to give a small handfull expansion and to drop anywhere from 15 to 25 dollars in the process.
    Now we have been pushed so far as the very idea of what blizzard is suggesting is now okay. 10 years ago there would have been pure outrage at the thought and no game developer would even entertain the thought of this.
    All I can see happening in 10 years from now is game developers more or less selling us a car without tires or an unwinable/finishable game without paying extra. Giving us a locked box and selling us the keys after the initial/first payement for said box. And then we in turn will.....thank them for it?

Agree. Moddability is good for a game. The huge library of mods for oblivion stands proof.

Endless supply from millions of players. And your limited funds to corner the market. After all, Blizzard can just up the drop rate a bit and ...
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Um, the market :)?

I mean, you can try to start a cartel by buying up all of a certain type of good and then sell it at a higher price, but this is risky business.  If you misjudge demand, or if others start regenerating supply for the good you bought out relatively quickly, you're going to take a big loss.

Cartels only work when they're able to very tightly control the supply of a market so they can fix prices, look at the DeBeers cartel for a good example.   You're not going to be able to control the D3 RMAH market like that, the barrier to entry (i.e. buying the game) are way to low.  Anyone can join the market.

Cartel can work if there is a real limit to supplies. If Blizzard can change drop rates ...
  • zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

All I can say for certain is that I will not be playing Diablo III.  THIS GAME looks like it could be interesting though. 

Originally posted by zonzai

All I can say for certain is that I will not be playing Diablo III.  THIS GAME looks like it could be interesting though. 

Thanks. That does look interesting. I'll keep an eye on its development. 

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

It's simple for me I don't buy into P2W  MMO's or games in general I won't touch em, its a matter of principal and ethics, plus I never have believed how much money you have should ever be a determining factor on how well you advance your character in any game. I don't embrace it and never will I play MMO's for immerision and fun and a little bit of thinking along the side , and before you tell me "Their a company they are their for profit... it's that same mentality the lead the United States over it's fiancial cliff due to greed....

This discussion has been closed.