Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paying for the privilege of beta testing?

I am on a rant here. Earthrise is clearly still in development and yet they have the audacity to charge people $14.95 a month to test a game that is clearly not ready for beta yet?

I loaded the 14 day trial and it was almost unplayable. After a moronic tutorial area and controls that deviate quite far from what people know and readily understand, the real fun started.

Where to start, leave tutorial zone and stand on a rock only to die because the rock disappeared and I was dropped into oblivion. Yes a hole opened in the playfield and dropped me into nothing.

Upon respawning and leaving said started town I could not draw my weapon. Solution? log out and log in again outside town.

Next wonderful item. Certain areas like towns are demilitarized zones, but don't stand too close to the entrance, you will be ganked by those just outside. This is common for PVP games. But wait there's more, leave the area and try and draw your weapon, this time getting a message in pink telling you that you cannot draw weapons in demilitarized zones. Guess what, they know this and their work around ... get ready .... commit suicide! That's right, kill yourself, lose any uninsured items in your inventory, hope someone doesn't grab it, like that is going to happen right outside town, and then maybe you can draw your weapon. That's right, it doesn't always work!

These are just a few of the highlights of this wonderful gaming experience. The bug list is enormous in just 5 hours of testing.

Now the fun part ... they want you to pay $14.95 a month for this. Not even released, barely out of Alpha at best, and they want money. GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY.

That 14 yr. old at CES designed a better game than this.

Is this what MMO beta testing is coming to? Take a good look at the economy. Market drops 1000 points in a day, people can barely afford to feed their families and make their rent and mortgage and then we are asked to pay for this crap?

I call foul and shame on Earthrise for this. Beta testing is for finding and fixing bugs, not fleecing customers. That's what Congress is for.

One very displeased beta tester.

Comments

• GwingGwing Member Posts: 85

...i thought this game was released and FAR from beta testing....wasnt it released like last year or early this year?

JUST looked on there site and it has been released for some time now...actually they LOWERD there prices u can now but the game for 14 USD...and there close to releasing a first expansion.....i dont knwo where you been....

• SaunakillerSaunakiller Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by dayvd1

I am on a rant here. Earthrise is clearly still in development and yet they have the audacity to charge people $14.95 a month to test a game that is clearly not ready for beta yet?

I loaded the 14 day trial and it was almost unplayable. After a moronic tutorial area and controls that deviate quite far from what people know and readily understand, the real fun started.

Where to start, leave tutorial zone and stand on a rock only to die because the rock disappeared and I was dropped into oblivion. Yes a hole opened in the playfield and dropped me into nothing.

Upon respawning and leaving said started town I could not draw my weapon. Solution? log out and log in again outside town.

Next wonderful item. Certain areas like towns are demilitarized zones, but don't stand too close to the entrance, you will be ganked by those just outside. This is common for PVP games. But wait there's more, leave the area and try and draw your weapon, this time getting a message in pink telling you that you cannot draw weapons in demilitarized zones. Guess what, they know this and their work around ... get ready .... commit suicide! That's right, kill yourself, lose any uninsured items in your inventory, hope someone doesn't grab it, like that is going to happen right outside town, and then maybe you can draw your weapon. That's right, it doesn't always work!

These are just a few of the highlights of this wonderful gaming experience. The bug list is enormous in just 5 hours of testing.

Now the fun part ... they want you to pay $14.95 a month for this. Not even released, barely out of Alpha at best, and they want money. GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY.

That 14 yr. old at CES designed a better game than this.

Is this what MMO beta testing is coming to? Take a good look at the economy. Market drops 1000 points in a day, people can barely afford to feed their families and make their rent and mortgage and then we are asked to pay for this crap?

I call foul and shame on Earthrise for this. Beta testing is for finding and fixing bugs, not fleecing customers. That's what Congress is for.

One very displeased beta tester.

And you clearly are someone that just made a alt here on MMORPG to keep on bashing ER. Cause it´s clear that you don´t play the game now since you refer to very old monthly prices. The monthly fee for the game is 12 dollar for one month, 25 for 3, and finally 46 for 6 months. Wish is a very good price. Also the game only cost 12 dollars as well. So it´s the price of a pizza for the game. So you clearly didn´t do the trial now, cause your "facts" are taken outa your *ss.

And your little story about getting all the known old bugs at once are just to good to be true. I´ve had 5 guys joining the game and our guild in the last two weeks and NOONE has run into ANY of those bugs. Strange that you got them all within 5 hours of gameplay... Also, if you do run into the dem. zone bug, you don´t have to suicide. You can, but you don´t have to. Running through some water fixes it as well, and theres water all over the place. And for you to say that you loose all your insurance for this as a new player is just bull. Your in free T2 armor from start and don´t loose shit. You keep it all. So even if your new to the game and listen to peeps llike you and suicide, you don´t loose anything. And also none of our guys ran into a PK squad when leaving north camp. It does happen ofc. But, as said before. Even if they do kill you there as a new player, you don´t loose anything.

So I call your little story to be one of some old hater that came back, didn´t check the facts of the game. Made up a story about some old bugs in the game happening to you in 5 hours of gameplay, a big fat lie. But hey, haters will hate...

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by Saunakiller

Originally posted by dayvd1

*snip*.

And you clearly are someone that just made a alt here on MMORPG to keep on bashing ER. Cause it´s clear that you don´t play the game now since you refer to very old monthly prices. The monthly fee for the game is 12 dollar for one month, 25 for 3, and finally 46 for 6 months. Wish is a very good price. Also the game only cost 12 dollars as well. So it´s the price of a pizza for the game. So you clearly didn´t do the trial now, cause your "facts" are taken outa your *ss.

And your little story about getting all the known old bugs at once are just to good to be true. I´ve had 5 guys joining the game and our guild in the last two weeks and NOONE has run into ANY of those bugs. Strange that you got them all within 5 hours of gameplay... Also, if you do run into the dem. zone bug, you don´t have to suicide. You can, but you don´t have to. Running through some water fixes it as well, and theres water all over the place. And for you to say that you loose all your insurance for this as a new player is just bull. Your in free T2 armor from start and don´t loose shit. You keep it all. So even if your new to the game and listen to peeps llike you and suicide, you don´t loose anything. And also none of our guys ran into a PK squad when leaving north camp. It does happen ofc. But, as said before. Even if they do kill you there as a new player, you don´t loose anything.

So I call your little story to be one of some old hater that came back, didn´t check the facts of the game. Made up a story about some old bugs in the game happening to you in 5 hours of gameplay, a big fat lie. But hey, haters will hate...

I agree there, I have encountered a few bugs but none as the OP said to and yes I started the free trial on last friday (bought the game in the meantime). But got to correct you on one thing, as a new player you only start with free T1 armor/guns that is autoinsured. Later on you can indeed obtain free autoinsured T2 armor.

And nope haven't seen gank squads, noticed once a battle rank 90 player in North Camp. What to do? Stay save inside the camp or go out and getting risked he follows and ganks you. Well I took the second option and went out, guess what he did follow but didn't gank. He even saved my poor butt when I pulled a bit to many mobs to handle myself.

Now I'm with a guild and a few nice guys in it as well and most higher skilled players I encounter are mostly nice and don't have interrests in ganking freshlings in the starter zones. They know that they will only lose a potential recruit/enemy and gain nothing by it. Of course you always have idiots but haven't found one that is around the starterzones.

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

OMG just tired this game and all i got to say is FAIL!...now im a very forgiving person....ill play anythign as long as i feel its good...but this game GOD!!!!! put it out of its missery....

THE CONTROLS! r the worst ever put intoa any game....

also aside from that the NPC interactions are horrible....i would go to click on a NPC to recieve a quest and nothign would happen till the 5th click or so...game feels very....1990.

I was sooo excited when i seen thsi game back when it was just being announced...but after playing it.....id rather play WoW...sadly.

• ApegApeg Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by Gwing

OMG just tired this game and all i got to say is FAIL!...now im a very forgiving person....ill play anythign as long as i feel its good...but this game GOD!!!!! put it out of its missery....

also aside from that the NPC interactions are horrible....i would go to click on a NPC to recieve a quest and nothign would happen till the 5th click or so...game feels very....1990.

I was sooo excited when i seen thsi game back when it was just being announced...but after playing it.....id rather play WoW...sadly.

You can remap your keys and mouse, but even without that the game is just like the third person shooters, problem is that some people don't read the help which pops up once you get in the game. About NPC clicks - I don't know what your issue is, I never had problems with that.

About the op - Bhazir and Sauna are right. I will add that starting players have 2 hour PvP invulnerability and the imaginary problem with gankers described in the first post cannot happen around starting areas.

Originally posted by Gwing

Which NPC did you had to click 5 times for a quest? I only had to click them as many times as I had to do in WoW/Rift or other games I played. Once to start dialog and once to select the quest and once to accept it. I'm not sure but seems your basic maths are way off even from before 1990.

Controls can be remapped and need to be getting used to, just like with every other game out there. On that note there aren't many mmos that got a FPS targetting system either so it is even more getting used to if you come from WoW/Rift/EQ.

So if that are your only complains it is you that fail, not the game. The game has it's flaws for sure, but they aren't even close to what some people try to let us believe.

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

I'm trying the game out, doing the 14-day trial. It's buggy and unpolished but I like the style and atmosphere. It seems to have some good features and I'm always interested in new sandbox games.

One major drawback for me is that it is very quest-heavy and grind based, something which really makes me not want to play it. I can't believe mmo devs still think people enjoy the "kill 10 X" or "gather 10 Y" quests - especially in a sandbox game.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Noobgren
    I'm trying the game out, doing the 14-day trial. It's buggy and unpolished but I like the style and atmosphere. It seems to have some good features and I'm always interested in new sandbox games.
    One major drawback for me is that it is very quest-heavy and grind based, something which really makes me not want to play it. I can't believe mmo devs still think people enjoy the "kill 10 X" or "gather 10 Y" quests - especially in a sandbox game.

Wait until you want to start crafting.... then it's kill OVER 9000 mobs, just to get the materials for a single piece of equipment :p

No really, if you don't like grinding and farming 24/7, then this game isn't for you. It only get's worse the more you play and the higher tier items you want/get.

There are quests and missions, the missions are mostly indeed "kill x of y" or "gather x ammount of y". But give me a MMORPG out there that has quests/missions and doesn't do this? Also most missions aren't even worth the effort, which is for me the biggest drawback.

The quests on the other hand are nicer, but also mostly very little reward for the effort. So it indeed leaves you with grinding mobs. But also here mostly every other mmorpg I played is grinding, though they are more fun or better hidden behind fun mechanics like a very good storydriven questsline.

Here in ER the current purpose is the PvP, TW (added with the latest patch) is a tool for this to get people fight each other. Though for TW to realy kick of the game needs more players, and that is the problem with a failed launch. It is hard to get new players as those that were dissapointed with a game will still cry blood and murder. So it will slowly grow or crash down, only time can tell.

All that said the resource gathering could use some changes, Masthead Studios acknoledged this and are planning changes to this. Adding even more reason to fight each other for the best resources. Of course also here number of players are a deciding fact.

Other changes are comming like bosses, vehicles (which imho had to be in from launch) and adjustments to TW and balancing weapons. Which is normal and expected from a mmorpg, though as Masthead Studios don't have the resources like Blizzard and with the failed launch it has to be seen if they can buckle up and pull it up to push this game forward and turn the tides. I'm at least one new player that is going to stay for a time to see which direction it goes and in current state it is worth my money so far and hopefully it only gets better.

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by Bhazir

There are quests and missions, the missions are mostly indeed "kill x of y" or "gather x ammount of y". But give me a MMORPG out there that has quests/missions and doesn't do this? Also most missions aren't even worth the effort, which is for me the biggest drawback.

The quests on the other hand are nicer, but also mostly very little reward for the effort. So it indeed leaves you with grinding mobs. But also here mostly every other mmorpg I played is grinding, though they are more fun or better hidden behind fun mechanics like a very good storydriven questsline.

Here in ER the current purpose is the PvP, TW (added with the latest patch) is a tool for this to get people fight each other. Though for TW to realy kick of the game needs more players, and that is the problem with a failed launch. It is hard to get new players as those that were dissapointed with a game will still cry blood and murder. So it will slowly grow or crash down, only time can tell.

All that said the resource gathering could use some changes, Masthead Studios acknoledged this and are planning changes to this. Adding even more reason to fight each other for the best resources. Of course also here number of players are a deciding fact.

Other changes are comming like bosses, vehicles (which imho had to be in from launch) and adjustments to TW and balancing weapons. Which is normal and expected from a mmorpg, though as Masthead Studios don't have the resources like Blizzard and with the failed launch it has to be seen if they can buckle up and pull it up to push this game forward and turn the tides. I'm at least one new player that is going to stay for a time to see which direction it goes and in current state it is worth my money so far and hopefully it only gets better.

The fact that quest grinding is present in almost every other game does not mean that quest grinding is fun. If I wanted to do mindless quests all day I would play themepark games. For me, a sandbox is about player freedom, I should not be obliged to play a certain way and certainly not to depend on some static NPCs having me run errands for them.

As for all MMOs having grind, it's all a question of how it works out and whether there are many alternative ways of progress. Again, a sandbox should not offer only one way of improving your char.

The fact that quest grinding is present in almost every other game does not mean that quest grinding is fun. If I wanted to do mindless quests all day I would play themepark games. For me, a sandbox is about player freedom, I should not be obliged to play a certain way and certainly not to depend on some static NPCs having me run errands for them.

As for all MMOs having grind, it's all a question of how it works out and whether there are many alternative ways of progress. Again, a sandbox should not offer only one way of improving your char.

I haven't run errands for any NPCs since a long time, there are other ways you can progress through the game, and you got the freedom for skipping quests/missions, but if you feel you are forced to do quests/missions then I fear you can't be helped.

If you got XP or something similar to progress, you will have to do something to gain that xp, either questing/missioning or killing stuff. And you will have to repeat that process to get even more xp as you won't be at max progress level after 1 kill or 1 quest, if so then it isn't an RPG as there isn't enough progression. So you can turn it how you wish but the only way to progress is to grind, either quests or kills. And both are available in ER (or other mmorpgs in most cases).

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file