Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Blizzard Grabs for Cash

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by WSIMike

I won't be buying it.

FFS... Since when did "ways to make money by playing games" become as important - if not more important than - "playing games to have fun"?

What the hell is going on with the gaming industry? Every time you turn around, it's something about another company finding a way to bring real money into it.

It's as though their first and foremost concern is "What can we do to continue milking more money from the players after they've bought the game...?", rather than "What new and creative things can we do to keep the player entertained and wanting to play even long after they've bought the game?"

Just like TV and Movies... Corporate greed has found its way to destroy gaming by turning it into nothing more than attempts at new ways to make them more money.

It's freakin' disgusting.

You make a good game, people will buy it, you make money. Simple.

I understand why game deveopers have fallen into this. They're under the sway of their corporate overlords who only care about profit. It's sad though because a lot of companies that used to be about making quality games have been overcome with the same corporate greed that they tried to get away from.

What I truly don't understand though, is the gamers that defend it. It's like they want to be treated like dirt and forced to pay more money for a sub-par quality product. A lot of these companies, Blizzard included, don't care how much you enjoy their games, so long as they get your money. They're not your friend, they're not trying to do you any favors, and they don't care if you're happy. All they care about is that you keep opening your wallet for them. I don't know whether to laugh at or pity the people who jump to the defense of the big name developers.

Some people feel an obligation to defend their favorite developer against anything and everything... even the indefensible. Rose-colored glasses to the extreme.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Siveria

Originally posted by Bastyani

I quit Lineage 2 for the very same reason. Farmers simply camped and owned places where best items (and most expensive) dropped so they could sell them on Ebay.

What will prevent farmers now to camp places like that to collect all the best items and sell them regulary (this time) on market. And believe me, there is no guild that can fight off these farmers as I'm talking about 100+ organised people who work for their *BOSS* in some shady place.

People will buy the game. Firstly because it Blizzard and secondly because its probably good.

But once  realising they cant get items they want simply because of farmers, unless they say hello to the little thing called Mastercard or Visa. Rage quit is inevitable.

Blizzard, wake up! You are going the wrong way! Billions aren't good enough for you? You want trillions?

You do relize that although this is online online it is not a MMO, the worlds are not persistant, its most likely like diablo 2 where you go into Bnet and can create your own solo game with a password no one else can get into. Either way I am just thinking this is blizz's way to nickle and dime people, and you will still see items on blackmarket sites, maybe even moreso, since its in the game blizzard won't really notice as much. If u can avoid a few dollar fee by listing it on a forum etc someone will do it. So really IMO this is just another way for blizz to nickle and dime their playerbase, as if they don't do this enough with world of farmcraft. I do not like this idea at all, No offline play, forced online, and I bet the drop rates will be so astronomically low that your pretty much forced to use the RMT AH to get anything decent. I see no reason why people can't be allowed to play it off line, there is no valid reason at all, since the chars on Bnet are saved on Bnet servers and not locally, so its not like they can intermingle. In my eyes its just blizzard forcing people to be exposed to their nickle and diming.

Because of the no offline play, no lan online play using local chars, I have gone from highly intersted to "meh i'll wait and see" Plus I heard D3 is horribly dumbed down compared to diablo 2, which alot of devs seem to be doing look at Dragon age 1 compared to 2. 2 Is massivly dumbed down. Thankfully I didn't waste a cent on that garbage YAY torrents but thats another matter. Besides I bet the pirates will figure out a way to hack the D3 client so it thinks the users pc is the server, seen them do this for other games. One way or another offline play will eventually come, and so will mods.

Games are being simplified and feature lacking due to the console market.  Most companies are too frakking lazy to make two seperate games, so if they're going to port to the console, just make the PC client exactly the same, save money and screw the PC market.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Originally posted by bumfman

The reason they wont allow off line single player is so that items wont be duped and sold, staying online will be an easy way for them to see if anyone is trying to do it.

I understand the reason for that part, but i still dont like not being able to play single player without interwebs.

It just feels like another lost freedom.

Or they could just keep your single player, offline toon on your hardrive with no way to move them to the b.net server...not really all that difficult.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by bumfman

The reason they wont allow off line single player is so that items wont be duped and sold, staying online will be an easy way for them to see if anyone is trying to do it.

I understand the reason for that part, but i still dont like not being able to play single player without interwebs.

It just feels like another lost freedom.

Or they could just keep your single player, offline toon on your hardrive with no way to move them to the b.net server...not really all that difficult.

Which is what Diablo 2 was, and it worked fine.

I believe the only reason why there's no offline mode is to force all gamers into the online mode where the RMT AH exists, so they can further pressure the average gamer into feeling like they need to use the AH to be able to stay competitive.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Hate to come across people who bought the best items ingame with their wallet, like those cash shop in free multiplayer games :(

For me Diablo 3 went from 10 rated to a 6 rated only becuase of the real world money market.

And who says iligal item selling will not occur ?

People will spend their money anyway they like be it on Blizzard auction house or at some iligal Chinese website...

But now Blizzard can get a piece of the action and fill their pockets and the fanboys eat that shit and says it taste delicious !

Also now they force you to play D3 with a permanent Inet connection ? pfff what a bullcrap decision man.

If Blizzard think its a good idea they can try, but they lost me as a costumer, i vote with my wallet and if more people do that then they will se they cannot force any shit they like.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by Wrender

Blizzard, er *cough cough* (Activision) can kiss my left nut!

Won't your right one get jealous?

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by Tadzio

It's a very good idea imo, I fully support this.

Its really a matter of having legal RMT vs having illegal RMT.

RMT won't go, if you dont want to use this AH, then don't - they're giving you second AH for gold (in game currency)

Either way, in under 3 months chinese stuff will flood all the servers and you will be able to equip whole character for 2-3 bucks lol.

That sounds fun. Instead of earning things through achievements, you can buy everything on your first day in game. Why bother to play?

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

'Chinese farmers' and such were making money off this either way. Thing is now, they don't set the market price for things, the player base does.

Look, times have changed and this isn't 1999. Items were being sold anyways, which in turn contributed to hacked accounts and more resources used up at Blizzard. Do I like the idea of all this? Absolutely not. But it's not Blizzards fault that they need to do this, people need to see that. It was happening anyways, so might as well take a cut and lessen the burden on your tech support. And hell, maybe YOU can make a couple bucks playing a video game!

Same with the offline play. Blame the people who were using hacked/pirated games. Honestly do you think that if none of that was happening, they would still make you be online?

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Who cares if someone is camping in an instanced game? It's not like your even going to see them. I can only guess these people have no idea what diablo is. It's not a persistent world...
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Mmmm...nope. I don't care about the people that are defending it with mention of combating piracy and what have you. That's no different than the current Bills being passed through the senate for ISPs to keep recorded logs of every detail of their customers online habits for a year, just because less than a single digit percentage of the US internet customer base may be internet predators. You don't punish the many to lay down the law on the few. There's not a single good reason for it, sorry. Fail logic thar.

D3 already took far too long to come out, then they create a website and take even longer to finish the bloody game. My interest has waned, and with this, it is completely gone. Fuck you, Blizzard. I didn't feed into the hype when WoW got popular because I saw you for what you were, and I won't feed into it with this. At this point, Blizzard is completely off my radar. There's not a thing they could do to get me to play their games, prior and future.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by ropenice

Originally posted by Tadzio

It's a very good idea imo, I fully support this.

Its really a matter of having legal RMT vs having illegal RMT.

RMT won't go, if you dont want to use this AH, then don't - they're giving you second AH for gold (in game currency)

Either way, in under 3 months chinese stuff will flood all the servers and you will be able to equip whole character for 2-3 bucks lol.

That sounds fun. Instead of earning things through achievements, you can buy everything on your first day in game. Why bother to play?

+1

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

This is bullshit in its purest form. {mod edit}

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Who gives a shit about the US and their bills/money/invasion off all your privacy crap. The US just got downgraded cause they are so far in debt with no plan to get out. Blizzard makes money hand over first. They know what they are doing when they make a move like this.

Games of all nature are getting pirated. Downloaded, burned onto disk blah blah blah. Companies spend millions of dollars trying to combat it. Screw it, make people log in if they want to play. The internet is everywhere, and if you're one of the .00005% of the people that don't have it that sucks. But you can guarentee Blizzard ran the numbers, the loss of the people without internet via the loss of dollars to piracy is what matters here.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by Abdar

'Chinese farmers' and such were making money off this either way. Thing is now, they don't set the market price for things, the player base does.

Look, times have changed and this isn't 1999. Items were being sold anyways, which in turn contributed to hacked accounts and more resources used up at Blizzard. Do I like the idea of all this? Absolutely not. But it's not Blizzards fault that they need to do this, people need to see that. It was happening anyways, so might as well take a cut and lessen the burden on your tech support. And hell, maybe YOU can make a couple bucks playing a video game!

Same with the offline play. Blame the people who were using hacked/pirated games. Honestly do you think that if none of that was happening, they would still make you be online?

There are other ways to fix these problems. You don't need to create a real money AH to control the economy or market price for items in your game. Personally, I'm fine with them soulbinding every item drop, and that's a quick way to resolve this issue. It gets rid of trading, but the D2 economy was stupid anyway. Who cares?

I'm not saying it's a perfect fix, but that's just one example. They have an entire development studio, supposedly full of creative individuals, so there's no doubt in my mind they could come up with some manner of mechanic other than a real money AH to control gold farming and item selling. Again, it's just proof that they don't really care about creativity or beating the gold farming industry, they were just after a chunk of the change. Plain and simple.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I don't care one way or the other. Nothing changes for me.  I log in, create my private server to play solo or with with my friends and or family. If I get lucky on a rare drop that I or my friends or family don't need I could make some cash off it. Win win in my books. The rest I can sell on the normal AH another win win. 

I really don't understand many of these posts. You can still play Diablo 3 the same way you played Diablo 2 other then you need to be connected to bnet at all times. 

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by sldrop

This is a dumb idea.They should come up with idea to stop items selling not add to it. 

This only help the gold seller, they have the most golds/items, most hacks/bots and can do it 24/7.

Nest  thing you know blizzard going to sell gold for real money.

By the way whats going to make blizzard  not sell ITEMS themselves?

I can see it now 40% item for cash are from gold farmer/seller 50% from bliz and 10% are real players lol

Come up with an idea that circumvents greed?  Are you joking?  Diablo II items were sold and Blizzard didn't reap any benefits just headaches.

I really do wish people would stop and bloody think for a minute before raging.  What is the Diablo series?  Its a game to where you play have some freedom of choices in the way build your character with goals of either running a boss to hit 99 or run a boss over and over(aka boss run) as fast as possible to get loot.  What is changing for Diablo 3?  Nothing.  Nothing at all.  Its the same formula.  It isn't a freaking MMO so posting crap about EQ2 cash servers is ignorant.

What happened in Diablo II?  Hacks abound and hacked items sold for cash as well as just about every other item.  Even non-hacked items sold for cash.  Why?  Because it took time to obtain things in the game, you could run the same boss 5000k times and get 10 of one item and none of the one you wanted.  So insert trading and RMT.  Blizzard can barely stop hacks for a minute and couldn't do anything to deal with the RMT's going on.

So the obvious answer will lead you to believe that there will be 3rd party sites selling items and they are probably going to be hacked(Obviously a bit less I imagine now).  So what does Blizzard decide is the course of action to take?  Utilize a more secure method of cash transferring.  Nothing more nothing less and taking their own cut of the cash flow for offering the security.

So what would you prefer Blizzard do?  Make everthing bind on pickup and make it into a grindfest MMO wannabe dungeon runner?  Yeah that won't fly part of the fun is trading for an item and finding new items.  They took the only course of action that makes business sense and to help the customer out.  Sure it's going to make the ignorant stay ignorant, but the majority of the people going to be happy it at least alleviates the chance of getting screwed over when dealing with RMT's.  Still do not have to utilize it, but I imagine at some point certain items will be sold for cash only, and with the free come sales you get each week or month or whatnot, you effectively don't have to start with cash flow to make cash to purchase that specific item.

Now how this will affect the MMO market?  How did KAL affect us?  Not in the least bit, ok so this is Acti-Bliz leading the way.  Worst case scenario one of these pop up in games going forward to put the eyesore in place and games ingame economies tumple to nothing more than cash trading for items.  I don't see that happening in true MMO's since the good stuff is still bind on pickup be it items or tokens.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Well, that's one game I don't have to worry about spending my money on. Thankfully, I was never really all that interested in D3 to begin with, so not a huge loss for me. I am however a little concerned about other companies seeing this as some sort of green light for implementing their own version of this diabolic milking scheme.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Sintrix

Who cares if someone is camping in an instanced game? It's not like your even going to see them. I can only guess these people have no idea what diablo is. It's not a persistent world...

This!  There are SO many uninformed people posting in here (and in other threads)  People reaally need to do a little investigating before opening their mouths and spouting off!  80% of the posts in this thread WOULD be applicable IF this was WOW we were talking about.

It`s not!  It`s Diablo!  There is pretty much nothing similar about them (except you need to be logged into Bnet now)  OMG...I can P2W in a single player game!  That`s outrageous!  That Chinese(or insert whatever nationality here) gold farmer camping spawn points?  He's not in my game, so it doesn't affect me at all (that's even assuming he gets around the region blocks)

Dislike it for what it is, real money trading!  Don't make up arguments without investigating them first though!

Originally posted by Faelan

Well, that's one game I don't have to worry about spending my money on. Thankfully, I was never really all that interested in D3 to begin with, so not a huge loss for me. I am however a little concerned about other companies seeing this as some sort of green light for implementing their own version of this diabolic milking scheme.

As was posted earlier, this is in no way something new.  Yell at Sony (as the first real major player) for starting this off.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

This is what happens when big developers let their ego's get the best of them, they assume all of their games will simply sell if it has their name on it, nevermind if the gameplay is utter crap or that its a constant battle of balance with the games abilities and functions, They could slap their logo on a paper bag full of shyte and people would still buy it.

This is a cash grab, no matter what spin they try to put on it, theyre basically accepting the 'gold buying' trend, repackaging it and making it a 'legal' form of it.

There are plenty of other games out there and I think its high time people to stand up for their principals, reject this game and find their fun in other games, perhaps in the indie market where developers havnt sold their souls yet.

But alas, people are like sheep and they will still buy it because they dont want to be left out the experience if the game is a hit just because 'everyone' else is playing it.

At least I will have the satisfaction of knowing I'm not part of the idiot crowd.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

It's a money grab, screw Blizzard. Blizzard has turned into the new SOE with the butchering of the StarCraft franchise (Sc2 was a joke), and now the Diablo franchise with the disregard for the gritty artstyle in favor of kiddies. Now, we see they want even more of the pie (our wallets).

I hope Blizzard gets burned BADLY from this move. They just killed off the entire franchise for the next 5 years.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

So wait...if friends and I buy it because we LIKE Diablo, we're idiots?

Pot...meet kettle!

• cliffsuncliffsun Member UncommonPosts: 26

I know this is somewhere in there already...but I just want to say it again...this is both a real money auction house and there is an in game currency version...as far as items being camped...yeah you might have people who go into the same volume and chapter to get that one really expensive item...but all that will do is drive the prices down on that good item so everyone can afford it at some point...it will also force blizzard to come up with new items to mitigate the curve created by everyone having good gear...and you will never have to confront these bots or farmers...because this isnt lineage 2...this is Diablo...remember how diablo works?

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83

i honestly had no interest in playing Diablo 3 but when i heard this i was all for it and im not going to be waiting for this game more so than anything i can remember from the past few years, for someone who has alot of free time to play video games, this is going to be wonderful being able to make some cash from sitting on my ass selling stuff to lazy people, i did it in wow and im going to do it here now only not be worried about my account being closed

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Originally posted by Bastyani

I quit Lineage 2 for the very same reason. Farmers simply camped and owned places where best items (and most expensive) dropped so they could sell them on Ebay.

What will prevent farmers now to camp places like that to collect all the best items and sell them regulary (this time) on market. And believe me, there is no guild that can fight off these farmers as I'm talking about 100+ organised people who work for their *BOSS* in some shady place.

People will buy the game. Firstly because it Blizzard and secondly because its probably good.

But once  realising they cant get items they want simply because of farmers, unless they say hello to the little thing called Mastercard or Visa. Rage quit is inevitable.

Blizzard, wake up! You are going the wrong way! Billions aren't good enough for you? You want trillions?

This isn't an MMO. You each play in your own version. You can camp your own place and get the items as well.

Their kills will not have any impact on you.

Someone please make a good MMO.