Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Death of the Computer

167891012»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A PC have a lot more uses than a console so many more people will own one.

On the other side do Activision and Electronic arts love consoles since they can charge more for games for them and those games are harder to copy.

As I see it will games like FPS really be taken over totally by consoles and so will action games. They already own music, sport and party games.

RPGs and RTS on the other hand works best on PCs and I doubt they will move to consoles anytimne soon. Sure, there have always been some Japanese console RPGs but the western styled games we are used to will continue being PC games.

Unless of course the hardware speeds up again like it did for a period 15-10 years ago. When the nano technology finally truly reach the PCs will the consoles really loose a lot because technology like that will be both expensive and evolve fast the first few years.

Consoles are rather depending on small changes in hardware for the 5 years or so they are living. Not even Microsft can afford making a new console every 2 years.

• I liked the article with the exception of your masturbation references.  You make it sound like everyone wacks off after playing a morg.  Based on the multiple references and images I think that is your deal. You should keep it private

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Will we use consoles to work in the offices?

There are millions of PCs used in the business and public sector. So long as these are not changed to consoles, then all we need to do is whack in a graphics card and we have a gaming computer.

The same graphics card that are in the consoles lol :-)

Actually it will be the other way around, the consoles will go out of fashion and there will be compact PCs everywhere, whcih essentially consoles are.......................

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

Originally posted by Phelcher

Is the Author confused..?

The PC will become more integral & part of people's lives.  Interesting the frame-set of the auther..  as the Xbox itself is nothing other than an outdated 5 year old PC & the new Xbox will use AMD fusion. (IE: another computer, with a consumer friendly package. )

Secondly, since most families 2nd computer is usually an HTPC (Home Theatre PC), & knowing Windows 8 will play any Xbox game...  then most computer & HTPC's will double as telephones, netflix streaming, movie watching, home networking, etc.

The mobil market is mostly for business... as kiddies running around with iPads, can't really do anything with them, except dazzle their egos. I browse on my phone when bored (at work, standing in line, etc) but i really don't need a phone to do that stuff. People aren't going to tap talk their homework, etc..

You may be surprised to know that over here in Ireland, iPads are required in some schools. I don't know if they're used for homework, but I know that most of the curriculum here is downloadable and parents seem to be happier to have their kids carry around an iPad instead of 10+ schoolbooks.

But on topic, I think the PC has a lot of time left. I'm not sure that it's because of pr0n, but think it's more likely to be because tablet tech is slower to progress than PC tech. How long will it be before they have shrunken graphics cards to the extent they'd need to to make tablets competitive (from a gaming PoV) and how long then to sort out heat dissipation? And in that time how far will graphics cards for PCs have progressed?

I don't think we'll be considered dinosaurs for some time yet.

How long..?  next year with AMD fusion technology...

Secondly, Ipad is to ddazzle the ego, as ANY cheap tablet would do for school, correct? Plus, it is not NEEDED, as all books could just use a balck & white kindle, which is far superior to what was available when persueing my education 10 years ago..

Again...  if they are using iPad (school issued) then someone got paid, or has lost touch with reality. Cheaper & better suited systems are out there (ie: cloud). 

The author doesn't recognize the trickle down effect.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• DarksecDarksec Member Posts: 13

Did i not read somewhere that the next windows will be integrated directly in some way to xbox live in time for the new console. For me this would be a way forward if its possible??? This of coarse however would only apply more to WIndows and not the likes of Linux etc. 

I think Microsoft in particular have a vested interest still in PC's very much being around. In fact i do believe they often claim that they are going to try and rejuvenate PC gaming world though im still to see them actually do anything of note???

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is what the convergence is going to look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4gpOQDcn7c&feature=player_embedded

Once graphene based processors get here, there will be no need to have PC's even the size of a book, much less the size of a suitcase. You'll still be able to have a 'PC', but you'll have a bunch of other stuff too.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• alecms7alecms7 Member CommonPosts: 7

Let me just say that making games for computers is WAY easier than consoles. I hate working with the joysticks. For some reason I always get everything messed up. I also prefer not to have to pay Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony a wad of cash just to be able to test them (thank goodness for technical schools being willing to throw money around). As a programmer, I really prefer making games for computers. This might change though. Microsoft makes it easier and easier every year to deploy and test games on the 360. I haven't done any work with the PS3 or Wii, but I am sure it is similar.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Actually the more i think about it, im pretty sure there gona die.

with time they will be merged with consoles and other assorted devices to become a hybrid entity. The evolution of the computer. 

Because after all, all of which are computers, Just givern diffrent names.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development