Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or SWTOR which one will you definitely BUY?

Comments

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

Definitivley buying GW2 and most likley buyinh SW:TOR. Depending on how many of my friends are playing it. Voted both thou.

scribble scribble scribble

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

GW2: The flat levelling curve, b2p and 3 major separate game modes and possibility of viable Alts having intriguing stories is what draws me to this game.

I'll be starting EvE before SWTOR launches so won't have time for this game even if it's a stellar launch & quality game.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Currently contemplating to not even play SW:TOR.

Reason: got back to Vanguard and having a blast in it right now.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Both of 'em.

Simples!

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

GW2 without a tought.

Reason why i will not buy SW is realy simple, engine looks outdated and all animations looks like crap.

Man when i was wathcing a trailer about SW i was like HELLYEAH BABY !!!! then i saw the gameplay and tought....you got to be focking kidding me right :(

I dunno how all of you think, but i expected a next ganeration MMO from Bioware and not a average engine with slow and craptastic animations from the year 1995 -_-

Man i played EQ 1 and 2 i played Warhammer Aion and WoW and DaoC even Lineage but SW will not join that list of awesomeness.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

For me a lot depends on whether they will run decently on my PC or not . Its a pentium core duo 3.4 ghz , 3gb ram and a 1 gb nividea 9500 gt graphics card in it . ( cant put anything better graphics card wise because they wont fit due to the size of the newer cards and positioning of the fan in the pc itself )Out of interest does anyone know of a better graphics card with the same dimensions (meaning no massive fan on it) that might fit ????I cant seam to find one  . I did try and play RIFT on it but even on lowest graphics it stuggled in the citys and in pvp and quite frankly looked awful . I can play games like Age of Conan on medium settings on it smoothly and lotro on high but they are older games now so I dont have a clue how it will run either of these games . If I can run them smoothly even if its on lower settlings  I'll proberbly by them both. Can afford a new PC but just cant justify the expence for another year or two when this ones working fine and plays most of the games I want it to pretty well (with the one expception of RIFT ) and the games I can play have plenty to keep me occupied if not .

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

For me a lot depends on whether they will run decently on my PC or not . Its a pentium core duo 3.4 ghz , 3gb ram and a 1 gb nividea 9500 gt graphics card in it . ( cant put anything better graphics card wise because they wont fit due to the size of the newer cards and positioning of the fan in the pc itself ) . I did try and play RIFT on it but even on lowest graphics it stuggled in the citys and in pvp and quite frankly looked awful . I can play games like Age of Conan on medium settings on it smoothly and lotro on high but they are older games now so I dont have a clue how it will run either of these games . If I can run them smoothly even if its on lower settlings  I'll proberbly by them both. Can afford a new PC but just cant justify the expence for another year or two when this ones working fine and plays most of the games I want it to pretty well (with the one expception of RIFT ) and the games I can play have plenty to keep me occupied if not .

I think you should be able to play GW2 smoothly on low settings. Except perhaps in extremely crowded areas. I expect the same of SW:TOR.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

If TOR launches first i'll buy both, then leave TOR after 1 month and then again curse myself "why didnt i wait one month to see the state of the game" etc.

If GW2 launches first i'll buy only GW2. Definitely has more of what i'm looking for in a game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I'd like to purchase both, which is what I went with, but thinking more - until I hear what the payment model for SWTOR is I won't be committing, it was a sure buy until I saw the money grab CE and pre-order fiasco (sorry but offering a pre order with no release date and no mention of sub costs just doesn't sit well with me, neither does the price of the CE and the hype of 'buy it faster to get earlier access'). I don't trust them on the money front now, I'm half thinking it's going to be sub and cash shop too.

GW2 - no problem that's a definite buy.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

GW2 is a definite buy

SWTOR - I was willing to go for a box price and play it for a month (aka give it a chance) , but as time passes I am less and less inclined to do so. Especially because its 60$ and not 50$

I am not sure its worth it. I might wait for a trial , or open beta

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I started with a lot of anticipation for TOR, but every new piece of information made my interest disappear more until there was none left.

I had no interest in GW2 at all after being less then impressed with GW1 initially. Then I stumbled about the manifesto video, and started reading the dev blog. Since then every new piece of information makes it harder to wait.

So GW2 it is.

• taulutussitaulutussi Member Posts: 37

Didn't enjoy the original GuildWars at all, but I'm really excited about GW2. The things they have already revealed are pretty outstanding. Only thing that bugs me about it is that I can't be a healer :P

SWTOR sounds like it could have been a good singleplayer game, but doesn't interest me in the slightest as an mmo, plus the IP is meh.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by EvilGeek
    I'd like to purchase both, which is what I went with, but thinking more - until I hear what the payment model for SWTOR is I won't be committing, it was a sure buy until I saw the money grab CE and pre-order fiasco (sorry but offering a pre order with no release date and no mention of sub costs just doesn't sit well with me, neither does the price of the CE and the hype of 'buy it faster to get earlier access'). I don't trust them on the money front now, I'm half thinking it's going to be sub and cash shop too.
    I've always assumed that ToR would be a P2P model since the EA execs keep saying how many subs they need to retain to make ToR a success.

I'm assuming it will be a sub model too, but nobody knows how much that sub will be yet.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by cinos

I've always assumed that ToR would be a P2P model since the EA execs keep saying how many subs they need to retain to make ToR a success.

I'm assuming it will be a sub model too, but nobody knows how much that sub will be yet.

they could charge x2 amount of WoW and Star Wars legion+Bioware fanboys would still eat everything they put on their plate

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

ok well i'm going with nether. GW1 felt like a wow improvement but still never piqued my interest,. SWTOR is awful, combat and visually wise and is launching lacking things that make star wars star wars. I am rekindling my love of sandboxes and subbing to DAWNTIDE in october

so say we all

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

GW2 all the way, been waiting for it 2+ years already.

/max hype ever since first released video

Not touching SW:ToR though, never playing generic MMOG's again.

• tochicooltochicool Member Posts: 153

Unless either one of them suddenly realise the free to play business modle is the future for all MMORPG then, sandly, I will not BUY any of them.

I will, however, support them in thier camplain to try and coughkillcoughchoghwowchogh. Ah-hem.

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by cylon8

ok well i'm going with nether. GW1 felt like a wow improvement but still never piqued my interest,. SWTOR is awful, combat and visually wise and is launching lacking things that make star wars star wars. I am rekindling my love of sandboxes and subbing to DAWNTIDE in october

Probally the same here, at the core they both will just be wow clones, though if I placed them on a scale, GW2 interests me more than SW:ToR, which is Odd when I hated GW1 so I am defentally not a fan of the series. GW2 honestly has more intersting features over the direct wow-clone like SW:ToR, for one the combat looks much better and more interactive, with crossclass combo's and such. Then add in the fact no monthly fee for GW2, honestly th eno monthly fee is why the scale tips towards GW2, I see it as this, Buy GW2, or SW: ToR, SWToR Is just another world of warcraft-like game/clone with a sub fee, if i wanted that gameplay there are games that are free to play I can get that from. GW2 on the other hand just requires a box purchaise and you can play as much as you want when you want. Its kinda obvious which is a better value.

SW:ToR will probally sell more boxes though solely do to fanboys of Bioware and Star Wars. But I bet GW2 will have more players left it in after the first 1 to 2 months compared to SW:ToR. SW:ToR is only hyped now because alot of people don't know its just another world of warcraft clone with a star wars skin. Not everyone follows the gaming sites, and magazines you buy in a store don't show the game in motion. Its not had to make a screenshot look pretty.

When I seen the flashpoint walkthru, I was honestly completly unimpressed at all. Boring world of warcraft clone-like combat (AKA generic mmo combat), graphics were a tad on the cartoony side as well and weren't that impressive for the technology available atm, and Biowares "interactive combat" they were yapping about was no where to be seen, as you can see when the 2 people were attacking the boss with the light sabers, it was just another generic each actor plays out their animations.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by tochicool

Unless either one of them suddenly realise the free to play business modle is the future for all MMORPG then, sandly, I will not BUY any of them.

I will, however, support them in thier camplain to try and coughkillcoughchoghwowchogh. Ah-hem.

how do you supose any of them make their AAA quality games produce imcome?

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by ichihaifu

You feel how I feel. I am sick of these generic world of warcraft clones that dev's seem to keep producing, SW:ToR is just yet another one in this line of boring overly generic mmorpgs. It'll do well though mostly due to fanboys I bet, especally seeing as how Bioware is taking advantage of fanboys with a $150 collectors edition that has a bunch of junk in it, thats no way worth 100 bucks on top of the games normal price. Last I heard the pre-orders for it have all sold out.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

GW2

• TbagginzTbagginz Member Posts: 15

Both without a doubt..im sure the timeline which both games are released is far enough apart. So purchasing both will not be a problem. As of which one am I more Intrested in? SWTOR without a doubt ! You can say what you want but SWTOR will in the long run have  more to offer than GW2. Plus fantasy mmorpg's are so over played.  We need a good Scifi game!

Dont get me wrong..im not hating on GW2..like i said im going to buy it also, and im sure ill get my moneys worth as its B2p.

Of coarse i pretty much buy every new mmorpg cause i live in a small town with nothing to do. You cant even buy alcohol where i live. It took everything i had in  me to avoid buying Rift. Boy am i glad i dodge the bullet on that polished turd.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

Originally posted by ichihaifu

I have respect for Bioware for their story team, however story isnt the selling point of MMO games, surely its awesome to experience it ONCE, but the next time you come around its old and you know what to expect.

If story is the only strong point in MMO, it will burn out after first "playthrough", it will turn repetitive. They have no replay value unless there are changes that affect the whole outcome and the future quests in more than one or two ways.

Which is the reason I'm not buying SWTOR

This discussion has been closed.