Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or SWTOR which one will you definitely BUY?

Comments

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

I'll be buying both.

GW2 B2P is a no brainer. It looks like you'll get a big bang for your buck with that one.

SWTOR, even if it is just WoW in space, at least it's in space and not ANOTHER fantasy MMO. Bio-ware has had a pretty good track record, so it shouldn't suck too bad.

I would absolutely ignore both of them if there was a Sci-Fi MMO with the same mechanics, but not the bugs of SWG pre-NGE.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

after playing the FUBAR known as Guild Wars 1(and expansion packs) I think ill go with SWTOR. Guild Wars claimed to have a story driven world while BioWare proves with each content demo video that SWTOR IS a story driven world. to those that think they need alot of friends to do stuff in SWTOR, that is the same in every MMO that is out. other wise you deal with Pick Up Groups.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

These two and possibly up to three more being released in the near future, using the free previews when available, of course.

Which one actually "hooks" me is up to the developers.  Grab me early and impress me, another screwy rushed-release mess like AoC or WAR's releases will not get the dollars.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Foomerang

I planned on buying both, but the more I see of GW2, the less inclined I am to buy. I dunno, its just something about that game that looks kind of, juvenile.

GASP.

Oh well, if you don't show up to the party, we'll miss you.

Well, maybe not every GW2 fan, but I would, and I don't even mean that in a sarcastic way!  You're on my list of 'People who I disagree with a lot, but I don't hold it against them because it's out of a difference of opinion rather than a difference in intellectual prowess'

I'll kill somebody in your name.

• WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79
    I'm buying both along with any game I want to check out.....and making up my own mind which will be worth the long haul ..Ya see I have a good job and even if I didn't my Passion is worth every cent
  • naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

Ill buy both since GW2 will be B2P

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

i'm "definitely" buying SWTOR.  even if it sucks as an MMO (which i expect it will), it's still pretty much guaranteed to be a fun single-player game.  

i'm likely going to buy GW2 also.. i have very little interest in it tbh, but an RL friend of mine overseas wants to get it and i might buy just to hang out.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

I am not sure i will be getting them. HOwever between the 2 GW 2 seems to have some interesting things.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

This post was a great idea. It shows the spread of enthusiasm indicated by users of these forums. It's interesting to see, and truthfully, to think about within the context of how the GW2 vs. SWTOR threads play out here.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by ignore_me

This post was a great idea. It shows the spread of enthusiasm indicated by users of these forums. It's interesting to see, and truthfully, to think about within the context of how the GW2 vs. SWTOR threads play out here.

It wasn't exactly a completely original idea, but I think there is still value to it.  There was a poll about what game are you more "hyped" for, but it didn't really give people the option to say they were really planning to get BOTH games.  That poll was pretty old as well, and opinions can change.  I also think the "what would you buy" is more to the point.  People speak with their wallets.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• S_t_e_e_lS_t_e_e_l Member Posts: 9

both

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Meowhead

I planned on buying both, but the more I see of GW2, the less inclined I am to buy. I dunno, its just something about that game that looks kind of, juvenile.
    GASP.

Well, maybe not every GW2 fan, but I would, and I don't even mean that in a sarcastic way!  You're on my list of 'People who I disagree with a lot, but I don't hold it against them because it's out of a difference of opinion rather than a difference in intellectual prowess'

eh you know how it goes. 3 months from now I could be chomping at the bit again.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

GASP.

Gee, Foomerang.....I want Meowhead to love ME that much. :(

In all seriousness, I would be thrilled to play either game with either of you.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Will be playing Firefall, Tribes and GW2. Would not be buying SWTOR.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Neither.  I do not buy games until they have been out for a bit and I can read/learn about them.  I see no need to chase every shiny car that drives by like an untrained dog.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by just1opinion

GASP.

Gee, Foomerang.....I want Meowhead to love ME that much. :(

In all seriousness, I would be thrilled to play either game with either of you.

haha well im all talk anyway. you know Ive bought just about every major MMO thats come out in the past 7 years... im so weak. I always cave in.
  • Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

SWTOR.  Already preordered.  GW1 never did anything for me.  I doubt GW2 will be much different.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Im almost certainly going to grab a copy of GW2 at some early point after release.  I see no reason to preorder it.  I can get a look at the game before I buy, such as videos, reviews, etc. 

Swtor?  Probably not.  Unless it turns out to be something more surprising than what Ive been seeing so far.  My faith in Bioware is just about gone.  I feel EA has turned them from a company that made instant classics, to a developer that just makes passable games.  Good games maybe, but arguably so. 

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

SWTOR.  Already preordered.  GW1 never did anything for me.  I doubt GW2 will be much different.

You know, this I just don't get.  Ok, GW1 didn't do anything for you.  I get that, it's not for everybody.  GW2 is a totally different game, about the only thing it has in common with GW1 is the lore.  For one thing, it's persistent and not instanced.

Honestly, if it's a game that you would have liked but don't want to find anything about, you're only hurting yourself.  If you do decide you don't like it, then you've wasted like 5-10 minutes.  It's not like it's taking away from you playing SWTOR, it's not out yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU1JUwPqzQY

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

For the majority im sure its both.

Both games will Most likely be released months apart giving one time to experience one before the other comes out.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Already pre-ordered Tor.

Will pre-order GW2 when I am able.

I can't wait!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• kramtkramt Member Posts: 86

Since time is limited for me, GW 2 is my only choice. I don't think I have the time to play another immersive game like GW 2 just judging from the demos and the features

• DromundDromund Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by cali59

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

You know, this I just don't get.  Ok, GW1 didn't do anything for you.  I get that, it's not for everybody.  GW2 is a totally different game, about the only thing it has in common with GW1 is the lore.  For one thing, it's persistent and not instanced.

Honestly, if it's a game that you would have liked but don't want to find anything about, you're only hurting yourself.  If you do decide you don't like it, then you've wasted like 5-10 minutes.  It's not like it's taking away from you playing SWTOR, it's not out yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU1JUwPqzQY

Looks like trash. That 5-10 minutes helped shape my opinion. Thanks.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

just as many others i will prolly play both :)

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Both.

GW1 was good.

SWTOR has 'Made by Bioware' so already bought through Amazon the SE and trying to get the $150 one as well.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

This discussion has been closed.