Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really not that bad

Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100

As much as I see people talk about how afwul it is and  the terrible reviews it has gotten its really not that bad. If your looking at it as an MMO flaws are apperent but as a Final Fantasy game, I think it hits its mark pretty well. The only thing that pissed me off was I bought it planning on playing a Musketeer but it looks like advanced classes are a long ways away.

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by Crusix221

If your looking at it as an MMO flaws are apperent but as a Final Fantasy game, I think it hits its mark pretty well.

That's the problem, it's not supposed to just be a Final Fantasy game, but to be an MMORPG. Although even as an MMO, FFXIV isn't a bad game, it still needs a lot a work, but definitively not as terrible as some would like players to believe.

• psyfighterpsyfighter Member Posts: 50

ye i just started playing and i like it.

• dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121

Bear in mind the game has been patched since it's first release so more and more I am hearing people consider it "not bad and even pretty good" but like most say, it still needs more patching and tweaking to get it right. The good thing is it is free to play while they do these fixes.

You can also purchase this for under 20 bucks.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

OP!you might be too young to recall that final fantasy (before they came into the mmo world)were pretty much the bar by wich every game tried to be at least =.yes at some point they were the wow of offline gaming.they were the best.they made console sell.

so when i see this epic offline franchise dragging their legs in the mmo world it makes me feel sad!

we ll see how things goes they got a new boss so it should turn things around!

but then maybe this boss is too young to recall that at some point final fantasy was pretty much the god of gaming for a while!

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Ugh... do you still have to click the individual players in the market place to browse their wares? That fucking killed the game for me. It was like going shopping with my wife... every... boring...minute represented to its fullest potential...

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

Originally posted by Praetalus

Ugh... do you still have to click the individual players in the market place to browse their wares? That fucking killed the game for me. It was like going shopping with my wife... every... boring...minute represented to its fullest potential...

There is a search feature now :) Last I played you still had to go to a certain ward to search for an item in question, but they made certain wards for certain item types..it still could be better for sure.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

Now you just go to the ward entrances even the one before you zone into the place and you can search for anything you want, it will then list you how many and what wards they are on and put a star on the players name tag etc so you know exactly which people to go buy off..

its a ton better now..

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

until a few things hit the game, i dont think its worth paying money for, mainly:

1) and the biggest one for me is the world re-design. When people go to look at agame thats getting re-done, this is the first big obvious change that people will notice and seeign as how its was one of the biggest most obvious flaws everyone noticed since day one it desprately needs to be changed (and they are working on it) If you need to see the reasons why...heres an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9nLBfH44c

Now imagine that kind of copy paste and repeated enviorments for virtual miles. The maps are huge, but they all are pretty much the same exact thing all the way through. Shrink the zones, add attractive landmarks and make use of most of the area = a win.

2) travel methods. right now all we have is either this cheap feeling teleporting system (you can teleport to any crystal or town whenever you want and you can get teleported to any area without even being there....or you walk. One we have chocobos and well placed airships, things will get much better. I also think they should they should limit or rid of the teleport system and make it part of the game (like most MMOs they tend to be spells or skills for certain classes giving them more distinction and use)

3) class changes. They want to fix the current classes and add more traditionally named and defined classes. This needs to be done right or expect some big backlash. Screwing up peoples favorite classes or making them uneffective would be a drastic mistake. The skills need to unique and add stratagy.

4)UI fixing/ coding downfalls. Most of us know that this game is a resourse hog and could be done a lot better...and it needs to be. They also need to smooth out the UI and make it respond much quicker. Right now its kind of messy and even though FFXI had to limit itself to a controler but i think they made things work. Right now it feels mess and intrusive (that oversized sidebar needs adjusting)

Those are my big ones, but there are other things that need to be implemented or i think should be added:

•Auction house (or they need to take that extra step out of the wards)

•Mail system (this is a very basic feature that needs to be added)

•Personal area (house or w/e)

•animations re-done (a HUGE problem for a lot of people, the repeated animations)

•ways for groups to gain levels

•simplifying or (imo) ridding of the repair system

•streamline the story missions (basically dont force us to stop because you are forced to be a certain rank to continue)

•enguaging content in general...more specificly group content.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

As much as I see people talk about how afwul it is and  the terrible reviews it has gotten its really not that bad. If your looking at it as an MMO flaws are apperent but as a Final Fantasy game, I think it hits its mark pretty well. The only thing that pissed me off was I bought it planning on playing a Musketeer but it looks like advanced classes are a long ways away.

Well the game is still free on monthly basis. The day SE feels confident enough to charge money for it we will know that FFXIV isn't all that bad anymore. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Azureblaze

There is a search feature now :) Last I played you still had to go to a certain ward to search for an item in question, but they made certain wards for certain item types..it still could be better for sure.

It is good to see that they're making progress. I bought the $80 collectors addition and was super excited about the game at first. Did they change the questing system? Or do you just grab all the deals and run to the floating deal to activate?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Well the game is still free on monthly basis. The day SE feels confident enough to charge money for it we will know that FFXIV isn't all that bad anymore. 

the copy paste issue is just one issue amoung huge amount of them lol!for a game maker to stop charging and say to dev:GO BACK TO DRAWING BOARD!

speak volume!

The leve questing is still there its fine though really, there are xp quest givers that you can do to every 15 mins is it or 20 cant remember now, either way alot of it is getting much nicer to play now.. and for free at this time you wont loose anything checking it out :D

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

I used to play MU online (years ago) just because of that feature,it is awesome and exciting,at least for me, i love it.

• toph1980toph1980 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by zanfire

until a few things hit the game, i dont think its worth paying money for, mainly:

1) and the biggest one for me is the world re-design. When people go to look at agame thats getting re-done, this is the first big obvious change that people will notice and seeign as how its was one of the biggest most obvious flaws everyone noticed since day one it desprately needs to be changed (and they are working on it) If you need to see the reasons why...heres an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La9nLBfH44c

Now imagine that kind of copy paste and repeated enviorments for virtual miles. The maps are huge, but they all are pretty much the same exact thing all the way through. Shrink the zones, add attractive landmarks and make use of most of the area = a win.

2) travel methods. right now all we have is either this cheap feeling teleporting system (you can teleport to any crystal or town whenever you want and you can get teleported to any area without even being there....or you walk. One we have chocobos and well placed airships, things will get much better. I also think they should they should limit or rid of the teleport system and make it part of the game (like most MMOs they tend to be spells or skills for certain classes giving them more distinction and use)

3) class changes. They want to fix the current classes and add more traditionally named and defined classes. This needs to be done right or expect some big backlash. Screwing up peoples favorite classes or making them uneffective would be a drastic mistake. The skills need to unique and add stratagy.

4)UI fixing/ coding downfalls. Most of us know that this game is a resourse hog and could be done a lot better...and it needs to be. They also need to smooth out the UI and make it respond much quicker. Right now its kind of messy and even though FFXI had to limit itself to a controler but i think they made things work. Right now it feels mess and intrusive (that oversized sidebar needs adjusting)

Those are my big ones, but there are other things that need to be implemented or i think should be added:

•Auction house (or they need to take that extra step out of the wards)

•Mail system (this is a very basic feature that needs to be added)

•Personal area (house or w/e)

•animations re-done (a HUGE problem for a lot of people, the repeated animations)

•ways for groups to gain levels

•simplifying or (imo) ridding of the repair system

•streamline the story missions (basically dont force us to stop because you are forced to be a certain rank to continue)

•enguaging content in general...more specificly group content.

Wow.  I'm curious then, what WAS fixed? I bought CE when it first came out and was utterly disappointed with the game. The only reason I still have CE is because no one wanted it lol.

Anyway, I'm tired of Aion, Rift and all the other generic MMOs out there and I'm willing to give FFXIV another try, but has anything been fixed at all? Doesn't seem like it from reading your post.

Could you provide us with a list of things that WERE fixed?

And, is it still free to play?

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Just log in and see... a lot has been fixed. The game is actually capable of holding one's attention now. :P and yes, it is free to play still.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

It's still pretty bad.

• justaleafjustaleaf Member Posts: 4

Recent changes of note:

• 2 new dungeons

• auto-attack working

• battle mode without having to stop (now you glide instead, lol)

• many many skill adjustments... battle is starting to require some tactics

• companies and grand companies (new quests and reputations as well)

• crafting requires many less button presses to initiate now (still kinda clumbsy tho)

• somewhat more compact hud

You can see the many changes of just the most recent patch, here.

Things that are still missing:

• airships

• chocobos

• accessible group content

• new levelling system

• good linkshell communications

• real defined combat roles (most classes are still very independant right now)

• clear early-game tutorials and objectives

• game hooks (there's really no story, item, or quest hooks to keep you wanting to log in each day... other than the occassional festival item)

• a monthly fee! 

The game probably still has a solid year of development before it gets to where it needs to be. If the game is to survive, it needs to have a VERY successful PS3 launch. My girlfriend and I looked forward to this game immensely and even bought new computers just to play it. So sad...

We're playing it off and on and hoping that SE pulls through and gets the game where it needs to be. It's beautiful, the crafting is interesting, the environments are cool, the atmosphere is spot on and the combat is, occassionally, very fun. But it's more miss than hit right now (literally if you're a pugilist :P) and I'm dying to get me a choco.
  • LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

I'd try it if it were F2P.

Originally posted by Lashley

well right now it is f2p right? :D

• toph1980toph1980 Member Posts: 14

Nice, but....

- Is the UI still laggy?

- Do you still need a PS3 controller to play properly?

If the answer to those questions is yes then I guess I'm truly done with FF and SE. The lag was unbearable and so were the archaic controls. It's a PC game ffs.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by toph1980

Nice, but....

- Is the UI still laggy?

If the answer to those questions is yes then I guess I'm truly done with FF and SE. The lag was unbearable and so were the archaic controls. It's a PC game ffs.

Keyboard has always been better than a controller, just like in FFXI, however there has been some improvements to the controls/ui with new targetting/keybind options..

Since it is still an issue they are working on though, I assume it probably won't be to your satisfaction.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Murugan

Nice, but....

- Is the UI still laggy?

Keyboard has always been better than a controller, just like in FFXI, however there has been some improvements to the controls/ui with new targetting/keybind options..

Since it is still an issue they are working on though, I assume it probably won't be to your satisfaction.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Nice, but....

- Is the UI still laggy?

Yep played XI since the NA launch, and this game since launch (give or take a 5 month break).

Keyboard only is by far the most efficient way to play, don't really understand what your problem is.  A lot of people use controllers, but more use keyboard.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Nice, but....

- Is the UI still laggy?

Yep played XI since the NA launch, and this game since launch (give or take a 5 month break).

Keyboard only is by far the most efficient way to play, don't really understand what your problem is.  A lot of people use controllers, but more use keyboard.

I mean I never reached the level cap or anything, but I found playing the PC version of FFXI without  a gamepad to be a painful experience at best.  What makes you say it's the most efficient way to play?

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by wyldmagik

Originally posted by Lashley

well right now it is f2p right? :D

I guess so, but you still gotta buy the game and it isn't permanent :(