Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The 15 Year Plan

124»

Comments

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Anti-fans? So, because we don't like the direction the game has taken we are anti-fans?

I expect mindless drivel from the forumites that have trouble even passing a public high school class, but I do expect more from the professional writers.

• PainbringerPainbringer Member Posts: 63

Oh, so it's 500 different planets, not 500 different shards.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Originally posted by Latronus

Originally posted by vesavius

lol the game's models look crude and dated now, can you ima:gine how they would appear in 15 years :P

This same ignorant arguement again?  Really?  WoW's models were outdated at launch, how's that pre-teen mindless POS game doing these days?  If graphics were that important, then it wouldn't have over 11 million subs now would it?  The reason for the simplified graphics is simple and I'll attempt to explain, no that would take too long, let me sum it up for you:

The low end graphics mean MORE COMPUTERS CAN RUN THE GAME, THEREFORE MORE PEOPLE CAN PLAY IT WITHOUT BUYING NEW COMPUTERS, WHICH HOPEFULLY LEADS TO MORE SUBSCRIPTIONS AND MORE MONEY FOR EA/BW!

Now was that so hard to figure out?  The model worked for Blizzard now BW hopes it will work for them too, and in this slumping economy where many can't afford to buy new computers, it may just work again... Time will tell.

So as the op stated, that if the graphics are expeted to last for 15 years they will be garbage. they are already bad. Could you tell us again with larger caps how they think it will work for them?

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Well I dont think their current launch policy of only launching in North America and select parts of Europe (a big FU to all of the southern hemisphere) is not going to help them achieve this lofty goal. If anything it is giving them bad press from the start and alienating so many people is not going to win you supporters down the track if you game is anything short of exceptional, which given its highly polished WoW formula approach I do not think it will be exceptional (I am not saying it will be bad Bad).

That aside for a moment, I think taking a concept that has been tried and true for years already as a template (WoW basically with more polish) and expecting ti to last another 15 years is somewhat foolish. An existing concept will feel old a lot faster than something that is new and fresh, regardless of how much new content you keep adding.

People are going to decry what I said and point to WoW. The thing is, the reason WoW maintains subscribers now is less about it having new content or fresh gameplay and more to do with the percieved investment of time and subscription money people who are longtime players have in the game. As evidenced by the hundreds of thousands of WoW players who pay the monthly subscription fee but barely ever login....

• PsythosPsythos Member UncommonPosts: 124

Originally posted by DarkPony

I think they would do well to add more pillars to their foundation instead of adding more of the same over the years. Instead of taking Blizzard as an example, who are just adding more of the same kind of content and throw in a new race or class now and then, they will hopefully take CCP's course of action by expanding in a much broader sense.

In SWTOR's case I'd love to see a vast, space-content expansion with stuff like free roaming, mining, asteroid outposts, space exploration, spaceship pvp, a wide choice of player ships and the option to fly and fight in a ship with a group of people (dedicated gunners, pilot, navigation officer, etc). That would really add something else to all the planetary based bipedal gameplay and has the possibility to link planetary destinations in a much more immersive, exploratory kind of way compared to cutscenes.

This is exactly what I'm hoping to see later on down the road.

• wfSegwfSeg Member Posts: 96

Wow, 15 years. $15 x 12 month x 15 years.. Wonder if they'll offer a lifetime option. Game might be good, or it might tank.. either way 15 years is a long time.

"I am the harbinger of hope. I am the sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my words, I say this: What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you."
    -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I just came back from the future and this game was mergeing servers after 8 months, now after a year and a half its on life sapport and within 2 years free to play.

but hey, they sold alot of pre orders right!

• DerebusDerebus Member Posts: 54

BEFORE LAUNCHING 500 PLANETS, LAUNCH THE GAME TO ALL WORLDWIDE, CAN YOU DO THAT??

Future: WoD, SWTOR, Arche Age, Tera (maybe), GW2.
    Present: None.
    Past: Eve, RIFT, UO, bunch of F2P crap.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Good luck with that, Bioware.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

SWTOR just has WoW dungeon gear grinding with a beefed up storyline for the players. Instead of the generic choices, now i get some response to my choice, but if I make a different character with the same class, and same choices I have the same story. There is no innovation, and they ride on the coat tales of George Lucas. Sure, it appeals to more people that WoW in the way its one of the largest IPs in the world.

You gotta understand, this game litterally has nothing of innovation, just a cover from Bioware about a attempt to make a dynamic storyline. Props to that, but you ignored the point. It is a themepark, nothing more, and nothing less. It has little to no innovation, with the very combat some of you snickered about and hated on other MMOGs.

My posts are for snobs, dorks, and the plain out fanboys that don't have a clue. Don't get mad unless you consider yourself one of them. Oh, as for flop that takes 9 months or less. Depending on when the eyes of the players are opened to the trashy attempts to make a game fun. If they can make you buy collectors and keeped subbed for 9 months, then they achieved their goal. They don't care about you, they just want your money so you can pull out your trusty old sock, slip it on while you "crank it" to some alien jedi girl dancing half naked in circles.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

The game has no self-sustaining content.

Once you play through the story, that's it. You will then be the subject of redundant warzones and raiding... crap we've seen in every MMO.

I predict the following: The game will last much longer than AoC, WAR, and RIFT, but will ultimately be int he same boat.

The game offers nothing new - a "hold my hand epedemic".

SandParks are the future.

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

ALSO...

15 years?!? ROFL.

Here is a Star Wars game that is roughly 15 years old. With the way tech is rolling now, we will experiencing life-like graphics and animations 15 years from now.

If it is still around, it will be comparable to something like EverQuest 1 - veteran holdouts.

• InstamaticInstamatic Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by Yalexy

SWTOR has left out alot of options for the initial release, so there's quiet alot of headroom for new and different content left.

Let's see what I would like to have implemented after release...

1. spacecombat made into a real flightsim ala X-Wing vs Tie Fighter

2. territorial warfare, where guilds can fight over chunks of planets with the possibility for cross-faction guilds

3. deep crafting-system, where the best items are crafted and not looted from boss-mobs

4. item degredation to keep the economy runnning (tied with a deep crafting system see pt.3)

5. mini-games to gamble, like the chess-thingy in the film, or even better stuff like pod racing

6. last but not least the storyline can be extended basically endlessly

If we look at EvE, we allready knwo that there's tons of features that can be added/implemented over the years.

Ha!  You just described Pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies.

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

i wish TOR all the success it can get, but i hope that doesnt mean we have to wait that long for another mmo based on the original movies!  (not that big a fan of TOR)

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by Instamatic

Originally posted by Yalexy

SWTOR has left out alot of options for the initial release, so there's quiet alot of headroom for new and different content left.

Let's see what I would like to have implemented after release...

1. spacecombat made into a real flightsim ala X-Wing vs Tie Fighter

2. territorial warfare, where guilds can fight over chunks of planets with the possibility for cross-faction guilds

3. deep crafting-system, where the best items are crafted and not looted from boss-mobs

4. item degredation to keep the economy runnning (tied with a deep crafting system see pt.3)

5. mini-games to gamble, like the chess-thingy in the film, or even better stuff like pod racing

6. last but not least the storyline can be extended basically endlessly

If we look at EvE, we allready knwo that there's tons of features that can be added/implemented over the years.

Ha!  You just described Pre-CU Star Wars Galaxies.

Indeed.

But I am affraid, this game was not designed like that. This game is designed to be what they tried to do in SWG with NGE...it is a second attempt at the "Iconic Vision"...nuff said.

I personally give it 3-6 months. Hope I am wrong. We shall see one way or another.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • FloggingJudeFloggingJude Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by DarkPony

I think they would do well to add more pillars to their foundation instead of adding more of the same over the years. Instead of taking Blizzard as an example, who are just adding more of the same kind of content and throw in a new race or class now and then, they will hopefully take CCP's course of action by expanding in a much broader sense.

In SWTOR's case I'd love to see a vast, space-content expansion with stuff like free roaming, mining, asteroid outposts, space exploration, spaceship pvp, a wide choice of player ships and the option to fly and fight in a ship with a group of people (dedicated gunners, pilot, navigation officer, etc). That would really add something else to all the planetary based bipedal gameplay and has the possibility to link planetary destinations in a much more immersive, exploratory kind of way compared to cutscenes.

Bump.

Also, if you watch the video on youtube, the dev was totally just joking.  Sure, BioWare would love to see their MMO (their hard work) go far; and I truly believe this means more than just money for them.  Every interview with every dev has the same theme, giving the fans what they want.  So for them, I think that success will come from seeing true Star Wars fans be able to enjoy their game for as long as it's relevant and fun.

It's safe to say that after 5-10 years, there will be another Star Wars MMO utilizing new gen graphics and MMO gameplay.  If for no other reason, than because Star Wars has proven to be a timeless franchise that many generations can relate to.

• MajDogMeatMajDogMeat Member UncommonPosts: 17

Tis a VERY LONG TIME ......

Most I have ever committed is 3 years.....ouch.

This is good news as long as they keep it going with updates and content.

Any problem can be solved, with the Proper Amount of High Explosives.....
    Don’t take life serious, you’ll never get out alive…..

• AxisstormAxisstorm Member UncommonPosts: 19

I want to appologize if someone has mentioned this before. I read through about half of the posts, but I can't continue to dig through all the crap to get to what amounts to a few good comments. However.......I doubt this game will last for 15 years. If it does.......well I'll be retired playing it prolly, Cause I retire in 2023, Anyway, my only real point is this: They have so many directions they can go with this story, There are so many books out there with so many planets full of aliens and lore than you never see in the movies, and although this game will pre-date what we all have seen in episodes 1-6 and all those books by 3000 years, those planets and their cultures still existed and I would hope that they could capture some of that in this game. 15 years, I assume in Jest, But 10 years I think is an easy bench mark to reach, even some of the worst games out are closing in on that amount of time.

Just my 2 pennies.

Odenious

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Axisstorm

I want to appologize if someone has mentioned this before. I read through about half of the posts, but I can't continue to dig through all the crap to get to what amounts to a few good comments. However.......I doubt this game will last for 15 years. If it does.......well I'll be retired playing it prolly, Cause I retire in 2023, Anyway, my only real point is this: They have so many directions they can go with this story, There are so many books out there with so many planets full of aliens and lore than you never see in the movies, and although this game will pre-date what we all have seen in episodes 1-6 and all those books by 3000 years, those planets and their cultures still existed and I would hope that they could capture some of that in this game. 15 years, I assume in Jest, But 10 years I think is an easy bench mark to reach, even some of the worst games out are closing in on that amount of time.

Just my 2 pennies.

i agree but we will wait and see if ever quest 1 did it i sure they can bioware is awsome for there games lets see them bring the game on :)