Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New mmo poll ask what genre you want it be in new generation mmo's

2»

Comments

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Rodentia-Online to be released Groundhog Day 2016.  Be there.

All die, so die well.

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by Karesh

Originally posted by thebigchin11

Originally posted by Karesh

Originally posted by thebigchin11

cavemen vs dinosaurs?

AOC prehistoric?

You read some worrying things on these forums

Honestly, how about you read my post instead of skimming it. I said it gave off a prehistoric feeling. I didn't say the game was set in a prehistoric setting. There's a difference between setting and feeling you know. I've played the game off and on for the past year and I think it's safe to say that just because the game's areas feel prehistoric to me doesn't mean they would for you.

ok, keep your hair on. 

Sorry lol. I admit sometimes I anger easily :D

Just noticed the apology so I am now obliged to offer my own- it was a troll comment.

Chins

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Fantasy and Sci-fi are very broad genres that appeal to a large number of people.  Also, these genres aren't just a decade old.  People have immersed themselves in such worlds for over half a century, beginning with Tolkien.  Modern video games are just another iteration of the same classic genre that isn't about to get stale for millions of people around the world.  The same people who play these games also read epic literature like Wheel of Time and Dune.  They've lost themselves in Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Avatar.  Each of these worlds puts their own unique spin on the genre and keeps things fresh.  People aren't even close to getting bored with them, and that is a sentiment that resonates through all 3 mediums: literature, film, and video games.  

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I want something that is very raw, almost primal in design. Vampires would be great - looking forward to WoD.  I would also like to see something post-apocalyptic that allowed for the use of vehicles, but not futuristic sci-fi. (Mad Max sort of thing. Fight for fuel and water, and maybe some spare parts to upgrade your vehicle) Steampunk sort of thing would be great.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Homitu

Fantasy and Sci-fi are very broad genres that appeal to a large number of people.  Also, these genres aren't just a decade old.  People have immersed themselves in such worlds for over half a century, beginning with Tolkien.  Modern video games are just another iteration of the same classic genre that isn't about to get stale for millions of people around the world.  The same people who play these games also read epic literature like Wheel of Time and Dune.  They've lost themselves in Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Avatar.  Each of these worlds puts their own unique spin on the genre and keeps things fresh.  People aren't even close to getting bored with them, and that is a sentiment that resonates through all 3 mediums: literature, film, and video games.  

Sure, those are two of the broad genres that appeal to a large audience.  There are tons of genres beside those.  Some of the most successful pieces of literature and movies are from many other genres.  Western, Mafia stories (crime syndicates in general), military - just to name a few.  Sci fi can also cover much more ground that just "people in space with aliens."  There can be post-apocalyptic settings like Mad Max and many other iterations.  Fantasy doesn't always have to be dwarves, elves and orcs. You can draw from many other themes there as well.  There's a lot of unexplored territory out there for MMOs, especially if you want to cite literature.  There is plenty of room for growth.

I will admit that saying "break from sci-fi and fantasy" is a bit broad though - both of those genres cover ALOT of ground.  I think the OP means stop giving us orcs and elves in every fantasy MMO and stop making "space travel" scifi.

• surstromingsurstroming Member UncommonPosts: 151

hey! I wanted to see the numbers!

if sci-fi and fantasy were on like 33% each and the other 33% were, well other genres, then its obvious that these would be the msot popular, because msot of the successful mmopg is this genre.

why did u close the pool?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by lthompson94

Originally posted by Homitu

Sure, those are two of the broad genres that appeal to a large audience.  There are tons of genres beside those.  Some of the most successful pieces of literature and movies are from many other genres.  Western, Mafia stories (crime syndicates in general), military - just to name a few.  Sci fi can also cover much more ground that just "people in space with aliens."  There can be post-apocalyptic settings like Mad Max and many other iterations.  Fantasy doesn't always have to be dwarves, elves and orcs. You can draw from many other themes there as well.  There's a lot of unexplored territory out there for MMOs, especially if you want to cite literature.  There is plenty of room for growth.

I will admit that saying "break from sci-fi and fantasy" is a bit broad though - both of those genres cover ALOT of ground.  I think the OP means stop giving us orcs and elves in every fantasy MMO and stop making "space travel" scifi.

I agree with everything you said.  Other genres and sub-genres have pleny of merit and are very successful.  I wasn't commenting on them.  I was simply explaining why the general genres of fantasy and science fiction are not and will not be getting old any time soon for a great many people.