Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mmo would you be playing if more folks we're playing it?

Comments

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Sovrath

none. I play games that interest me regardless of how many people play.

Otherwise I'm letting the decisions of others make my choices.

And that's just plain nutty.

Except for the fact that we are talking about games in which other players make up the majority of tha play experince.

Nice "holier than thou" attitude, but it simply doesn't apply to all MMOs.  Most of them you need other people to reap the spoils of the game.

Oh, and probably Vanguard. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Vanguard is a decent balance, between sandbox and themepark. Imo the best title SOE has on the menu at the moment.

A shame really

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Fallen Earth.

I will be interested to see how the population goes when the F2P option launches in a few months.

I think the world is just too big mate.  People get lonely and bored.  They fucked up on the drawing board.

Chins

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by lthompson94

Except for the fact that we are talking about games in which other players make up the majority of tha play experince.

Nice "holier than thou" attitude, but it simply doesn't apply to all MMOs.  Most of them you need other people to reap the spoils of the game.

it has nothign to do with a holier than thou attitude but nice try.

If I let other players decisions make my decions then I'm at the whim of "you".

sorry but "you" don't get to decide what I play. I've played/tried a good many mmo's and I've yet to run into any issues playing on my terms. Then again, I'm not a wow player as I found the game well done but not to my taste. So maybe that's what you are talking about? Getting gear so I can do harder raids to get better gear? or not, as I've said I've tried most games and have had fun on my terms without getting on any treadmills that I didn't want to get on.

And since I don't play for "gear" but for the experience of the world and the lore, story, etc then I'm not at the mercy of having to get into some group for uber loot.

You might find that holier than thou but I find it emancipating.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

This doesnt work for a lot of games. Warhammer online is PvP oriented so few players playing means no PvP & their PvE is garbage. Fallen Earth in zone 2 onwards is about factions and working together to survive, no players means this doesnt work. Even the end parts of zone 1 in FE require teamwork to beat many of the missions, no players = no help, no help = frustration & death. D&D Online is another game where having other players really is a must.

etc etc.

sorry but "you" don't get to decide what I play. I've played/tried a good many mmo's and I've yet to run into any issues playing on my terms. Then again, I'm not a wow player as I found the game well done but not to my taste. So maybe that's what you are talking about? Getting gear so I can do harder raids to get better gear? or not, as I've said I've tried most games and have had fun on my terms without getting on any treadmills that I didn't want to get on.

And since I don't play for "gear" but for the experience of the world and the lore, story, etc then I'm not at the mercy of having to get into some group for uber loot.

I can't believe that 'holier than thou' attitude... Joke so don't get all verbally ninja on my arse

Chins

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Sovrath for the win, lol

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

sorry but "you" don't get to decide what I play. I've played/tried a good many mmo's and I've yet to run into any issues playing on my terms. Then again, I'm not a wow player as I found the game well done but not to my taste.

You might find that holier than thoug but I find it emancipating.

Ok, then have a great time running raids, dungeons, and taking on group content by yourself.  There are games in which you can literally do next to nothing by yourself.  On that note, go outside and toss around a baseball by yourself.  If I want to play baseball, and nobody wants to play do I go and do it alone?  No.  Does that mean "other people" are dictating what I do?  No.  These are the scenarios we're talking about.

Sorry but solo play simply isn't possible in many MMOs.  We're talking about MMOs.  The whole point is to play with other people. 

Your attitude of letting "other people" dictate what you do makes no sense when we're talking about an arena of gaming which requires other people in most cases.  It's not abot liberation.  It's about playing the games according to their designed mechanics.  And if you don't feel that way, commenting in the thread is pretty much useless.  By your logic, I don't play football if I don't have other people.  Does that mean I'm letting them dictate what I do?  No.  It means I'm playing a game the way it's supposed to be played. 

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

As most of the people before me have said, it would hands down be Vanguard.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by thebigchin11

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Fallen Earth.

I will be interested to see how the population goes when the F2P option launches in a few months.

I think the world is just too big mate.  People get lonely and bored.  They fucked up on the drawing board.

It was good at launch and for the first few months, I think the faction wheel grind turned a lot of people off. All my friends pretty much bailed during the wheel grind to maximise their skill points & once they were gone I felt like I was wasting my time continuing.

sorry but "you" don't get to decide what I play. I've played/tried a good many mmo's and I've yet to run into any issues playing on my terms. Then again, I'm not a wow player as I found the game well done but not to my taste.

You might find that holier than thoug but I find it emancipating.

Ok, then have a great time running raids, dungeons, and taking on group content by yourself.  There are games in which you can literally do next to nothing by yourself.  Those are the games he's referring to.

Sorry but solo play simply isn't possible in many MMOs.  We're talking about MMOs.  The whole point is to play with other people. 

Your attitude of letting "other people" dictate what you do makes no sense when we're talking about an arena of gaming which requires other people in most cases.  It's not abot liberation.  It's about playing the games according to their designed mechanics.  And if you don't feel that way, commenting in the thread is pretty much useless.  By your logic, I don't play football if I don't have other people.  Does that mean I'm letting them dictate what I do?  No.  It means I'm playing a game the way it's supposed to be played. 

Oh really? I thought that playing mmo's was about playing in a world "with" people. A living world. Not getting into the party line and doing what I was told.

sorry, but you are going to ahve to try better than that. You see, I'm a free thinker and do things that I want when I want. Oh sure, I do grouup and usually become close to my clan mates. But then again I'm more old school and it was all about helping your clan mates when they needed help. And I do recall mostly soloing that game except then the call came out. It wasn't about us forcing each other to do things. It was about us dong things we wanted to and then when the time came for solidarity we were there. And then we went about our business when it was over.

that still doesn't decide what games I play or don't play.

If a game is great but there aren't enough people then I will just do what I can. I dont' give up on the game because others aren't "wise" enough or see eye to eye on what I enjoy.

"oh, others don't want to play the game I want to play. Oh well I better follow what the masses want because otherwise I won't get into raids and uber loot".

ew. I just can't get on board wiht that. Good luck to you though! image

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Oh really? I thought that playing mmo's was about playing in a world "with" people. A living world. Not getting into the party line and doing what I was told.

sorry, but you are going to ahve to try better than that. You see, I'm a free thinker and do things that I want when I want. Oh sure, I do grouup and usually become close to my clan mates. But then again I'm more old school and it was all about helping your clan mates when they needed help. And I do recall mostly soloing that game except then the call came out. It wasn't about us forcing each other to do things. It was about us dong things we wanted to and then when the time came for solidarity we were there. And then we went about our business when it was over.

Ok, you're arguement is making much less sense and starting to sound much more like someone sitting at home alone wanting to argue or get some attention.  Quick question though - if your "clan mates" weren't there what would you be doing?  And who the h*ll said anything about anyone forcing you to do anything?  Having people in your guild and actually logging in to play is "forcing you" to "get in the party line?"  Wow.  Just... wow.

Have fun with your free thinking, I'm not responding anymore to someone who obviously has no business in this thread. 

FINAL NOTE:

It's looks like there are enough people in this thread to start a good group on Vanguard!  Who's with me!!!  Lol...

It's looks like there are enough people in this thread to start a good group on Vanguard!  Who's with me!!!  Lol...

Well, I already play Vanguard. I didn't need to wait around for others to play as I enjoy the game as is.

and that is my poiht. I've plaedy games I want to play, not games where I have to wait for others to follow suit.

In any case "I'm already in Vanguard and I didn't need permission to play". And my argument makes perfect sense. I enjoy these games on my terms. is there a problem with that? You seem to think so.

The question is "what games would you play if more folks played them. And my answer is "none". I join these worlds and play to the best of my ability. If I can't get into a raid because no one is doing them I do other things. These games can stand as worlds, they don't have to be people forlornly waiting around because no one else is around. I see them as worlds and as such I do what I can within them.

they aren't just lobbies to me.

edit: if people wait for others to play these games then no one is going to play them and great games are going to vanish. Or, we can have people like me who play them as we like and eventually there will be more people so those people who require large populations will see that there are players and eventually join.

You want me on that wall, you need me on that wall! image

I don't refuse parties unless my time is limited. for any reason. So you could literally come to me and say "hey I need help and we might die" and I'd be there no questons asked. Because the experience of playing is enough for me.

Or you can have the players who want perfect parties and won't play these games because there aren't enough players to form perfect parties. Who do you really want there? Me, who will go to the ends of the earth for my party members even though we might fail or those who will wait around and see if the game garners enough players to make it worht their while?

well, whichever you pick that's your choice. I'm still fooling around with Vanguard characters while others are making up their minds.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by EndDream

Everyone always says they would play Vanguard if it had enough population, myself included. It's funny because if everyone did that it would be populated!

But you need to see at least a little investment from the developer before you make that commitment...

EXACTLY.

Chicken......egg.  As someone already stated.

And I love the cocky dude (a different poster) who thought he had a right to stand in judgement over everyone that said Vanguard.  We all have our REASONS for not playing right now.  No different than if you decided not to play a game for some reason and you found LACK in it and didn't choose to play it that way.  Doesn't mean you think the entire game is trash.  Instead of judging everyone else, how about you watch yourself instead?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

haha glad your bollox have finally dropped ;) 

Chins

I can't believe that 'holier than thou' attitude... Joke so don't get all verbally ninja on my arse

I don't need to get "verbally " anything on you.

Look all, if people are all standing around at a dance and everyone is waiting for someone to jump in but no one is jumping in because they are waiting for someone to jump in then no one will be dancing.

Or, you can just get in there and do it and do what you can do and eventually people will start joining.

If you don't want to play somehting then don't play, fine. But if you are just waiting around for others then I can tell you that it's just this (as someone else has mentioned) chicken and egg attitude.

No one is going to be there and great games are going by the wayside.

Do you know why devs are making all these WoW flavored games? Because that's where the population is. Business people aren't very forgiving in their opinions  as to what the think is worth investing in. They see where the majority of players are and they are going to invest in those types of games.

Meanwhile players are saying that there aren't any games out there that are differnet. Well, there's ryzom, vanguard, Darkfall, EVE, Lineage 2, etc.

All I'm saying is I['m willing to play these games and enjoy them for what they offer. And if I'm in game and you need my help I'm there for you. You don't have to have perfect gear score or a full party, or heck, a healer or tank. I'm willing to try and just make it work.

but if that's cocky then I'm willing to take that bullet. I've been healing players in Vanguard's island for quite some time now with a dedicated lvl 10 healer just so they can finish the starter area and move on to the world with some advice and the ability to finish that last temple area or that Zalazz demon which can sometimes be iffy on a solo player.

I don't want to sit on the sidelines and wait for people to start to dance. It's ok if you don't but if no one is dancing then no one is going to continue to throw dances.

It's sad but that's how it is. And if it's alone then so be it.

[Mod Edit]

As an example I would give new players money in Lineage 2 and take them on tours of the world. Even the very high, dangerous areas, so they could see what was in store for them.

when a small group of players in Lord of the Rings screamed for 30 minutes for a tank for tomb of elendil I joined. And then some of the people dropped. But we kept on. Even at times without a healer. But still I said I would stay until we either finished or until they wanted to quit. It was their party after all.

We finished after 4 hours.

One of the guys said that he felt like it was his early days in EQ when players stuck together and helped each other.

sorry but your statement falls very far off the mark. If I'm in a party with you then I will be there. If you need help then I'm there for you.

And I play these games on my own terms because others aren't interested. But I'm there beause there is inherent value to me and what I'm looking for.

• BobalueBobalue Member UncommonPosts: 78

definitely planetside. That game was so fun i wish it still had a decent population I would gladly pay the sub

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

vanguard first and foremost, POTBS a close second (edit, lineage 2 a close third)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

POTBS really? never did like it

Chins

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

POTBS really? never did like it

I thought (well, think) that it shd have been a lot more sandboxy, but the nautical combat is really good and i'm a fan of caribbean history

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I can't comprehend playing an MMO with no population regardless of how good it is. Whats the point?

Remember Old School Ultima Online

yup, may aswell play a better single player

Chins

I can't comprehend playing an MMO with no population regardless of how good it is. Whats the point?

Well, my position is that if there are people who dont' mind a small population (me) but are willing to help others AND if there are more people like that then evenutally people will join the game, meet good people who are willing to help and be there for them and then more and more people will join and build on that community.

It's not for everyone but I think it's a valid way to play and help build community.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Well, my position is that if there are people who dont' mind a small population (me) but are willing to help others AND if there are more people like that then evenutally people will join the game, meet good people who are willing to help and be there for them and then more and more people will join and build on that community.

It's not for everyone but I think it's a valid way to play and help build community.

If you are happy more power to you.

Remember Old School Ultima Online