Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: San Diego Comic-Con Highlight Reel

Comments

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

I preordered the CE edition. Honestly I was hard pressed to justify the $150 and it was my wife who insisted that I get it because I've been talking about SWTOR for the last few years. I liked all the annoucements at SDCC the problem I do have is this lack of release date. I like the beta weekend stuff sure, but for me I just wana play my perminant character, not some toon that'll be deleted after I log out.

Also I don't like the concept of pre-ordering a game that has no launch date. Its like a risk-investment, you don't know when it'll pay off for you. With that said I'll be 100% happy when they can truely say month, date, year to us and hold that date down.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by sbanting

I think personally October is the only real choice, unless something major happens in the Beta Weekends, the game would be finished and being polished through the month, leaving Oct to finish off any bugs, and ship.

But BF3 is October, EA wouldnt put it up againt TOR and vice versa so my moneys still on Nov.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

"Players will now be able to customize many of the visual details of their companions (gender, species, and possibly body-type excluded), and will even be able to fine-tune companion AI with Dragon Age-esque AI scripts."

Now that is really cool. Any step away from dumbing down and towards offering people some extra depth and freedom is to be applauded.

Also really liked to hear about racials and curious about the legacy system.

I really liked racials in WOW. They offered certain perks that weren't overpowered but still very useful in the right scenario.

Couldn't care less about all the preorder hubris though, I'll buy the normal box at launch and will make a difference my own way. YARR!

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Early November is typically the time for big splash items to become available for holiday purchase. Note Skyrim's "11/11/11" release. It wouldn't surprise me to find SWTOR coming out the same day. I already ordered the CE for SWTOR, and I love the Elder Scrolls games too, so I'll have to pre-order that too now.

• GlitchorGlitchor Member UncommonPosts: 16

soo not happy withthe  no criss factuon chat, this needs to be reworked, and open chat permitted,  input a ignore function if you don't want the chater

nothing worth saying =-)

• GlitchorGlitchor Member UncommonPosts: 16

ment cross faction chat

nothing worth saying =-)

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

release is going to be january

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

Pre-ordered the Collector's Edition! My first CE ever. I just know things will be just fine, the game looks solid as a rock. :)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

My guess is 25 November. 

The beta weekends have been announced for mid September, and I reckon once they end they will announce further beta weekends in october, then ship 25 Nov.

Why 25 Nov? Its Black Friday(day after Thanksgiving in the US) which signifies the beginning of the Christmas shopping season and is always a HUGE day for retailers.....and many employers give staff this day off

And not to be too sexist here or anything, but while the women go shopping, the guys(because really, its going to be mostly guys) can get into SWTOR on launchday and play

(OK so that was actually quite sexist, but whatever)

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• KwonKwon Member UncommonPosts: 56

I wanted to buy the digital deluxe edition but I chose the wrong checkbox like a moron.  I called EA when I realized my mistake and they were already sold out.  I was like "your sold out of a download?" And in fact they were.  They only had so many licenses to sell.  Ill be a standard edition player whether I like it or not :(

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373

Interesting that Future Shop in Canada is saying a release date of:

12/31/2011

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/star-wars-the-old-republic-pc/10125848.aspx

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by laresloci

12/31/2011

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/star-wars-the-old-republic-pc/10125848.aspx

Not interesting. They are wrong.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• BolongoBolongo Member Posts: 24

Awww, some posters here actually think the devs will listen to feedback from the "beta weekends" and take the time to fix things before release? That's so adorable!   ;)

_____
    Bright indications singe cool undisciplined hours.

• ArindielArindiel Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Khaine007

If I have to level up a light side character to max level to be able to use that race for dark side, I'm going to be very disappointed with that system.

Why would you be disappointed? The fact that you'd be able to get an otherwise opposite faction only race would be pretty great... They could just take a typical approach and not allow any other races period. Besides, that would be a fairly exclusive badge of experience to show off to all you encounter.

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Good run-down, MikeB.

I'm still on the fence with pre-ordering the CE.  Every time I get a CE the game seems to nose-dive and I feel lame.  Also, while I'm a big SW fan, I've never been a collector.  Also, the less I think about SW:TOR the faster it'll be here and I won't be drooling over the computer day after day waiting for it.  

If I plan on playing on opening day, and only decide to go with the normal version, should I preorder?  Is there any indication that enough won't be shipped to meet initial demands?

As for the controversies, I didn't find any of them worrying from my perspective, so it looks like the game is shaping up to be something I'll love.  I'm am trying to contain excitment from my old time MMO friends getting in touch and asking if I'll be playing as well.  

I'm fortunate to live in the USA and rarely having to worry about launch dates and offers.  Sorry to our brethren in other countries that have to wait longer. 

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Taiyoh

I've pre-ordered the standard version. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Star Wars fan as well, but I wasn't able to afford spending €150 for the CE with stuff I probably will end up neglecting anyway. It just seemed like an unnecassary €95 extra just for some goodies that don't change the gameplay. I've got the most important item, and that's the color crystal. :P

Sadly, but truely, I am still using my Cataclysm mouse pad, and still listen on occasion to the Cataclysm soundtrack...so the fact I am still getting limited use out of the CE gear for a game i dont play anymore, I went ahead and figured, WTH, at least the statue might be worth the price of admission someday, unlike my WoW mousepad that is just waiting for a replacement.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by EndDream

Originally posted by laresloci

12/31/2011

Not interesting. They are wrong.

Amazon too. I think they are going with the latest possible date, so when they are wrong, then at least costumers who bought at that vendor wont feel cheated.  Better to show a later date and have an earlier release, then show an earlier release date and be late by a month or more and have a bunch of pissed off customers who did not realize the game's release date was not set when they pre-ordered and accuse the vendor of mis-leading information.

I just hope we get enough advanced notice of a actual release date so i can take some leave during that time.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,500

Highlight "reel" -- er... where's the video? This is just an article with a poorly chosen title.

• Gythe1stGythe1st Member Posts: 45

A minor detail you all may be leaving out it that They are turning off SWG permenently on Dec.15th 2011. It would be a waste of money to have that game running with SWOR running. I don't believe they will have the Game out before the 15th of December.

Gythe

Frumple bog was here

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Cross faction chat should be permitted and an option in ALL PvEish MMOs. I can see the reason for not having it in a mainly PvP game. It would be nice to add that extra element of RP in the mmoRPg.

• khessmdkhessmd Member UncommonPosts: 12

If beta weekends are not even starting until September .. then November or even December sounds logical for the release to me.

I bought the $150 version so hopefully it will be worth it.

Kev

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

The highlight for me actually came the day before when they announced that pre-orders were now open..... but only to people in North America and Selected European countries.

Then when queiried why this was we were told the unforgetable news that it was because people outside the chosen regions will not be seeing the game until such time as Bioware & EA decide to allow it with no timeframe & no further news on the subject.

Awesome work guys.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

There's something everyone is missing in the pre-order:

• We are clueless of when the game will be available

• We don't even know the payment method(s) nor the monthly subscription fees

• We don't know if there will be microtransactions

• We don't know how long will be the headstart

Usually when you pre-order a MMO you at least know when it will launch, how much it will cost you.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Deewe

There's something everyone is missing in the pre-order:

• We are clueless of when the game will be available

• We don't even know the payment method(s) nor the monthly subsciption fees

• We don't know if there will be microtransactions

• We don't know how long will be the headstart

Usually when you pre-order a MMO you at least know when it will launch, how much it will cost you.

I don't think anyone is missing it, I think all are aware of this, especially those who did pre-order.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Whilst I love the highlight reel,  what about the blooper reel?  Ay?   ...  Yes?