Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game will "Flop" harder than RIFT did...

167891012»

Comments

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by colddog04

Your expectations must have been amazingly high to call Rift a flop.

Anything less then 11 millions subs is apparently a flop.........

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I mostly agree with the original post but i think the story is what might save SWTOR, it really depends on how good it is and if it makes you want to keep playing. Hopefully that will save the gameplay.

I think we're gonna see all "AAA"s with micro-transactions and the thought makes me sick. Oh well. We have had that for awhile now with DLC, but itll just get worse.

When subscription based games have micro-transactions it really is just a downard spiral.

With the way things have been goin i really cant wait for Diablo 3 hopin ill finally make some money playing video games.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please refrain from flaming and baiting others into arguments.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by Atlan99Trion aquired 100 million for three games. Rift being the first of them.

Try to be honest with yourself. SWTOR will be nothing like Rift. It is going to smash every mmo launch record. It also might just put Rift on life support when it lauches.

For a game that will be on life please explain to me why after 7 years Blizzard is putting appearance gear into the game?

I think its obvious why. It's the same reason SWTOR is going to have customization for your companions.

Players are starting to demand it. I think players don't want to look like everyone else  who happens to be the same class as them. 

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I dont think it will "Flop" just because of one simple fact, Star Wars already has a fan base. What did Rift have? Nothing before their release. Star Wars will be successful no matter what people are saying even if it is a WoW "copy" it wont matter because people will still play it if they like the Star Wars world.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

By looking @ all the hype around a WoW-copy with a StarWars skin, it seems that SWTOR is getting SEVERAL times the "hype" that RIFT did.

Review: This is not a review.

-RIFT was supposed to kill WoW  If anyone ever claimed Rift would kill WoW it was such a small minority that they were largely ignored. This makes me wonder if you were in that crowd.

-RIFT was also a WoW-copy (please move away from WoW-clone, it sounds immature, clone =/= copy) OK, yes it was a clone. If you think that is immature...

-RIFT had the same UI, inventory, and skill system of WoW (same thing SWTOR is doing) Sounds like a clone...

-RIFT flopped REALLY hard, so hard in fact that they viewed their sub number drop rate as a "failure in the making" and have started an aggressive freetrial, discount && "veteran return" plan. When I quit Rift there were lots and lots of people online. I can't say that for most games out there. If that is a flop in your eyes, then what isn't?

Sadly, Rift is doing rather well. I say sadly, because it has a total lack of creativity. The one thing that makes it different is insignificant, and not even part of the end game.

I'm no SWTOR fan(I don't plan on buying it until I read a lot of reviews), but I do think enough people will stay to make it successful enough. Heck, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm willing to say it will be better than Rift if for the only fact that the PvP is almost guaranteed to be 100X better than Rift's. I'm not sold on the story progression being any different than the boring quest that we are expected to run like mindless rats. I will have to see it in action.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Golelorn

Sadly, Rift is doing rather well. I say sadly, because it has a total lack of creativity. The one thing that makes it different is insignificant, and not even part of the end game.

I'm no SWTOR fan(I don't plan on buying it until I read a lot of reviews), but I do think enough people will stay to make it successful enough. Heck, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm willing to say it will be better than Rift if for the only fact that the PvP is almost guaranteed to be 100X better than Rift's. I'm not sold on the story progression being any different than the boring quest that we are expected to run like mindless rats. I will have to see it in action.

Based on the video footage I have seen, TOR's PvP will only arguably be better (not better, but different) than Rift's- look at the videos and watch the refresh on abilities in the hotbars- PvP is going to be a gear-centric joust/LOS fest. What's going to make TOR more successful than Rift looking at gameplay alone is going to be the replayability TOR brings that Rift has none of, without a doubt.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by pierth

Originally posted by Golelorn

Based on the video footage I have seen, TOR's PvP will only arguably be better (not better, but different) than Rift's- look at the videos and watch the refresh on abilities in the hotbars- PvP is going to be a gear-centric joust/LOS fest. What's going to make TOR more successful than Rift looking at gameplay alone is going to be the replayability TOR brings that Rift has none of, without a doubt.

As I said, not a fan and don't plan on buying it. However, there is obviously a market for subpar games in this genre.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/05/27/trion-is-quiet-but-rift-is-growing-2-million-accounts/

Thats the link to the whole Rift growing to 2 million accounts

That means atleast 2 million players subscribed and given them their money even if its only for one month, so

2 million x 15 dollars = 30 million dollars even if they all quit after the first month

now thats what i call a success, So NOW that i have a link and its now a fact please don't put false information as fact on how RIFT Flopped, even if I already Quit after 3 month of playing they still got my money and it was still a good game.

Just because they wanted to draw as much players as possible and giving free trails and merging servers and adding new servers doesn't mean they are failing, it just means that they know what people are looking for, a game that they can play for free and get hooked. Trion likes their games and have confident that if you play it for one week, you will be staying for a month or longer. Therefore they are marketing it that way. So because they have confidence it makes their game a flop... its just sad that you feel that way.

Like all previous posters, if you didn't play after the game went live, it doesn't mean everyone would either, even if you hated SWTOR after it goes live, it still doesn't mean everyone would hate it as well. I am already planning to pay for a 6 month subscription. So to me SWTOR is already a success without me even playing it.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

soo Rift flopped?????? if i recall rift has 1m+ subs stilll

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

LOL Rift hardly flopped.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• StormwindStormwind Member Posts: 60

LMAO ... LOL .. ha ha ha ha .... OH STOP IT ...  it hurts ..  ha ha ha  . ... .LOL ...  Now I got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard ....     oh my gosh .. that was to much fun .. keep up the good posts, they slay me.

Look to the stars to know HE is with us. HE hung them as markers, of times and of seasons.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

it is in the top spots among the mmorg list of xfire! so no; it isnt flopping !when a game has more player then gw1 it is doing good .and will live on for years!

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Lucioon

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2011/05/27/trion-is-quiet-but-rift-is-growing-2-million-accounts/

Thats the link to the whole Rift growing to 2 million accounts

That means atleast 2 million players subscribed and given them their money even if its only for one month, so

2 million x 15 dollars = 30 million dollars even if they all quit after the first month

now thats what i call a success, So NOW that i have a link and its now a fact please don't put false information as fact on how RIFT Flopped, even if I already Quit after 3 month of playing they still got my money and it was still a good game.

Just because they wanted to draw as much players as possible and giving free trails and merging servers and adding new servers doesn't mean they are failing, it just means that they know what people are looking for, a game that they can play for free and get hooked. Trion likes their games and have confident that if you play it for one week, you will be staying for a month or longer. Therefore they are marketing it that way. So because they have confidence it makes their game a flop... its just sad that you feel that way.

Like all previous posters, if you didn't play after the game went live, it doesn't mean everyone would either, even if you hated SWTOR after it goes live, it still doesn't mean everyone would hate it as well. I am already planning to pay for a 6 month subscription. So to me SWTOR is already a success without me even playing it.

Actually with the free trial it doesn't mean that 2 million players have subscribed and given their money. We have no way of knowing how many of those accounts subscribed and how many were trials users that did not.

I would imagine that a few of those accounts are also due to players that desperately want the ascend a friend perks. I have seen several posters in various forums saying that they had bought extra copies just to qualify.

Regardless though, I would agree that Rift definitely did not flop and has been the most successful NA mmo release in awhile.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Oh Lord! before any more noobs to MMO's ever say Something is a WoW clone or copy please please talk to some folks who have been around much longer than yourself and know WoW developed its game on top of other games like EQ and DAoC.

Also, you may want to invest in a dictionary as there are no "clones" or excat "copies"

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

I just tried Rift yesterday. It's not a bad game, though a little repetitive. But it's a typical MMO. There are things I like, and some I don't. Nothing mind blowing. The story isn't bad, but it's a little confusing at times. It reminded me a lot of WAR. I think what TOR has going for it will be the cut scenes and a  well put together story, though those might get old for some in a hurry.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

...Except your point is moot from the beginning because Rift didn't flop but has the highest retention rate of any MMO release in the past 6 years. The population is still booming and the plethora of content that was available to players from the get go. Polish and such a stable server were most likely the keys to it's success. Even though I find the game more monotonous than FFXIV or WoW, I still will admit the developers went straight in with a plan and executed it thoroughly, they left no tail-ends out and in the end succeeded. SWOTR I believe has followed the same pattern with something over 1000+ hours of gameplay to be fufilled by players, that sounds a tad excessive to me, but the fact that each class has it's own story line that branches out is probably the reason for this. Even though the game may not compete with other releases in the graphics department (depending on what your definition of graphics actually is) it's got an excess of polish from what I hear, a strong company backing with a HUGE budget, and a strong IP behind it. I am not going to play "devil's advocate" here, but I don't think this game will flop as bad as you think it will. Players want polish and stability, the only thing that can kill this game now is if it has an extremely buggy launch, because as Rift has shown, even if the combat and gameplay is boring and monotonous, in the end all that matters is that the game is released "finished" (again, depends on your term of finished).

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Channce

Oh Lord! before any more noobs to MMO's ever say Something is a WoW clone or copy please please talk to some folks who have been around much longer than yourself and know WoW developed its game on top of other games like EQ and DAoC.

Also, you may want to invest in a dictionary as there are no "clones" or excat "copies"

That's the problem with "wow fan boys"... All they do bitch about another game and whine how it's a pure wow clone, when they've no idea how wow even started or looked like when it first launched... But when you look at it, most of them are like 15 years old so it kinda explains it. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Well if the OP wanted to start a debate, they sure succeeded.

I doubt any of us knows how WoW-like SW:TOR is really, and we won't til we get to play it. As to predictions of success or failure, again, nobody really knows. People make assumptions either to praise or diss the game, but having standard MMO features and controls does not a WoW-alike make.

Rift didn't flop, not by any realistic measure, but if you wanted me to pop my predictive hat on, I'd say RIFT will suffer more than any other game at the hands of SW:TOR, I know plenty of players who are playing it as a stop-gap til that game launches. I know others who are currently playing no MMO who want to try SW:TOR out at launch, and plenty more who aren't interested in it at all. I have no clue how well the game will do in the eyes of players at alrge, heck I don't know what I think of it yet, I just know I was interested enough to fork out €20 on a pre-order.

I don't think any of us can say from this perspective if it'll be a huge hit, a massive miss, or somewhere in the middle. It sure is entertaining to read the varying opinions on the matter though!

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

As many have stated a game does not to have Wow numbers to be successful. A game flops when it folds, like Tabula Rasa or Hell Gate.

How can a game made by Bioware, produced by EA and based on Star wars flop?????? And OP says he knows about MMOs, I think not......

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123

You know what is a kicker to me is that people really don't use their brains when they choose to say which game will flop now days. It is about as bad as the number of Real Beta Testers now days. Anyways, you have a company called EA games which has been around since 1982 and it is also the parent company of Bioware then you add into those a movie franchise that started (in movies 1977). Yet for these people they compare all this to a game that was created by a company that even the prederssor was started in 1991. Activivison Blizzard only came out during 2008, but people have the nerves to call any game that uses a sword or anything close to a sword a freaking wow clone. Man hopefully this is not a glimps into what our future will be, just a bunch of dumb kids who will become dumb adults and say crap before they even begin to study on what they are talking about. Kind of sad.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Hey guys please remember to follow the Rules of Conduct when posting. This thread has gone off-topic and turned into personal arguments.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.