Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This makes me sad.

Comments

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Originally posted by Xasapis

Keep in mind that the majority of MMO players are adults though. The latest surveys put the average in the 25+.

Babies are still being born though, so that is probably why they're pushing for something broader than the M rating it would probably receive in its current form (and potential ban on some countries). They're playing safe since a lot people can get pretty vocal about this as demonstrated in this thread, whatever the reason deep inside truly is and even though it is pure hipocrisy.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

game needs more moe

http://moe.org/

fo shoaw

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by Jonsus

Originally posted by grifith

I'm curious as to how they are going to change them exactly... I mean for example do I need to see loli underwear? (http://img4.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-ero-x/sexy-tera-online-014.jpg) Hell no but the for example the castanic's armor (http://img4.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-ero-x/sexy-tera-online-025.jpg) while not a complete deal breaker is nice if for nothing else becuase it looks genually awsome (even if completely useless as armor lol). Also it's design just seems somehow appropriate to that race. Now if they start messing with the character's looks in general im going to get pissed. I'm not a fan of moe or anything but even I thought the Elins looked like a cute race. lol I can do without another ugly tiny people race running around.

Oh and lol http://img4.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-ero-x/sexy-tera-online-023.jpg yeah ones like that are a bit over the top so while I don't mind them as is it's not like I would loose any sleep if they changed ones like that either. Well just the middle area the top and boots look awsome as is. The middle is just silly.

In the end it is going to come down to gameplay for me.

The second and third links are very much over the top...

How the hell is that even considered armor?

Well, in a factual historical sense ofc it isnt, but this is fantasy and they are fantastical and so should be taken as such.

Anyone coming into a asian game expecting realism is missing the point.

I think we are just expecting more.......erm.... decency?

Why does some girl dressed in a thong bother you? I like girls dressed in thongs.

always struck me as funny... the guys calling for deceny are happy to wade through a sea of blood with a holocaust like body count as they murder until they can murder no more, but yet put a thong in and they consider it indecent :P

You like looking at 12 year old girls in thongs, that's your perversion, bro. The rest of us can do without the "loli" bullcrap.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    I love forums. Hypocrisy is always amusing.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I wonder if the artists straped some faerie wings in there and made them 1/5 their current size, if those people with the skewed perspective would feel the same.

This game takes too long to come to the west. If NCsoft has the Blade and Soul ready before them, then they won't fare that well at all, considering also the incoming launches of other high profile MMOs coming soon.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by Jonsus

Originally posted by grifith

I'm curious as to how they are going to change them exactly... I mean for example do I need to see loli underwear? (http://img4.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-ero-x/sexy-tera-online-014.jpg) Hell no but the for example the castanic's armor (http://img4.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-ero-x/sexy-tera-online-025.jpg) while not a complete deal breaker is nice if for nothing else becuase it looks genually awsome (even if completely useless as armor lol). Also it's design just seems somehow appropriate to that race. Now if they start messing with the character's looks in general im going to get pissed. I'm not a fan of moe or anything but even I thought the Elins looked like a cute race. lol I can do without another ugly tiny people race running around.

Oh and lol http://img4.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-ero-x/sexy-tera-online-023.jpg yeah ones like that are a bit over the top so while I don't mind them as is it's not like I would loose any sleep if they changed ones like that either. Well just the middle area the top and boots look awsome as is. The middle is just silly.

In the end it is going to come down to gameplay for me.

The second and third links are very much over the top...

How the hell is that even considered armor?

Well, in a factual historical sense ofc it isnt, but this is fantasy and they are fantastical and so should be taken as such.

Anyone coming into a asian game expecting realism is missing the point.

I think we are just expecting more.......erm.... decency?

Why does some girl dressed in a thong bother you? I like girls dressed in thongs.

always struck me as funny... the guys calling for deceny are happy to wade through a sea of blood with a holocaust like body count as they murder until they can murder no more, but yet put a thong in and they consider it indecent :P

You like looking at 12 year old girls in thongs, that's your perversion, bro. The rest of us can do without the "loli" bullcrap.

Look back, read the thread, comprehend whats been said, stop jumping to BS conclusions and tying to offend people.

I have said several times here that i don't like the loli stuff, and I have repeated that I was talking about the adult models. I explicitly said this. You obviously have just failed to comprehend it.

before you join in to a conversation make sure you understand it, especially if your going to accuse me of being a pervert or whatever.

I wonder if the artists straped some faerie wings in there and made them 1/5 their current size, if those people with the skewed perspective would feel the same.

But they arnt tiny adults with faerie wings are they? You may as well post 'what if they made them 6ft tall and gave them adult faces'.

The sexualisation, and desensitisation to that sexualisation, of minors isnt a good thing, even if they are given a fantasy sounding name. They are what they are- children.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I don't know, maybe we're moving to the uncanny valley with the modern graphics, but for me they don't resemble kids. In any case, I'm sure they'll castrate their art enough with the "westernisation" so as not to offend anyone, even if there isn't anything offensive in the first place.

On the other hand I'd prefer if they left these stuff as is and actually finish the end content and launch the game already. I fear that by the time this game is out, other MMOs with stronger elements in other areas will make it irrelevant.

Edit: What I mean is that if the launch time between Tera and Archage or Tera and Blade and Soul coincides, I'll be hard pressed to pick Tera over the others. Action combat is a nice gimmick, but I'm not that convinced that the remaining of the game is on par with what other developers are trying to accomplish.

I'm sure they'll castrate their art enough with the "westernisation" so as not to offend anyone, even if there isn't anything offensive in the first place.

This is the desensitisation I was refering to.

You say they don't resemble kids to you, which I don't believe personally but fine if thats what you say, but cannot you see how to others they do and what that actually means in a wider context then yourself?

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

I actually wrote a rather long blog on this very issue awhile back when it was fresh.  I even showed it to the developers and mods on the official TERA forums and, for the most part, it was received rather well.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Strayfe/052011/21690_TERA-Fantasy-Censorship

Basically, to put it into simplest terms.  Fantasy doesn't stop being fantasy simply because certain elements resemble reality.  At the end of the day, these are fictional races in a fantasy world.  Elins aren't real, and nobody is harmed or affected in the slightest if anyone finds them to be sexually appealing, because they're blocks of data on a server.

The sexual exploitation of 'children' is a crime and a travesty because, as developing human beings, they aren't able to understand or comprehend sex, intimacy and all that goes along with it.  As such, they require protection until their brains are physically mature enough to better deal with the emotions and depth of an intimate relationship.

Many people see an Elin, and it triggers their protective instincts.  They see the creature as comparable to a child and as something to be protected, rather than objectified in a sexual manner.  The problem arises when you pause and realize that you are being protective of VIDEO GAME PIXELS.  Video game pixels which, according to the lore of the story, are far more ancient and knowledgeable than those other races whose no-no parts are far too visible for the delicate sensibilities of western society.

So, as a counter, I give you this:  youth is desirable in both western and eastern society.  Everyone wants to feel younger, look younger, smoother, sexier, more attractive.  If it becomes possible to sexually objectify and express wish fulfillment through a medium that harms absolutely no one (Online video games), why is this a bad thing?  It offers opportunities for exploration of a societal taboo within a controlled environment where there can be no victims.  Viewing the Elin in a sexual manner is simply an extension of what all Human beings look for in a mate.  Youth, vigor, endearment, attraction, in a physically pure form, but without the mental and emotional insufficiency of a physically immature human being to trigger our protective instincts.

If you don't find Elins attractive, fine.  But you can't possibly sit behind a computer and pontificate at people who do and believe that you have a valid reason for doing so.

Edit: I forgot to point out that, biologically, human beings are capable of procreation as early as 12-13 and in other places in the world that's when girls become women and are commonly married off.  Elins resemble that age, more than anything else.  It's western society that has tagged those additional years on the end.

Lets face it, no matter how many guys in this forum claim otherwise, I would say a sizable majority actually do find Elins attractive and simply won't admit it because they resemble something that is taboo.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Yeah.. "ero and moe made the game a tad unique" LMAO. No other MMO presents nearly naked women, huh?

I for one, hope they lose all that, and with a bit of luck, the fluffy races (the panda.. whatever). This may just be the impulse for me to try it.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Does this mean that the armors will be actual armor (seriously, is it really so hard to make them look useful)? I approve of this. If so, I am more interested.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by atticusbc

Does this mean that the armors will be actual armor (seriously, is it really so hard to make them look useful)? I approve of this. If so, I am more interested.

Go look at release EverQuest 2. Thats what 'useful looking' armor looks like. Oh look plain plate armor in different colors and maybe some ornate drawings/carvings. /yawn

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Wait, is this a complaint that they took sexualization and objectification out of the game? 

Originally posted by Strayfe

Many people see an Elin, and it triggers their protective instincts.  They see the creature as comparable to a child and as something to be protected, rather than objectified in a sexual manner.  The problem arises when you pause and realize that you are being protective of VIDEO GAME PIXELS. 

So it's ok to draw pictures of children in sexy underwear, as long as it's just pixels and you give them a new name?

No.

I am fine with adult sexualisation, we are sexual animals after all, I am not offended or threatened by the adult human body being shown in a sexy manner and I like FANTASY armours in FANTASY games (that are not historical recreations in the slightest), but I do NOT buy into this 'give the image of a child a made up name and a bit of lore and it changes the image' argument at all.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by WhySoShort

Wait, is this a complaint that they took sexualization and objectification out of the game? 

I couldn't believe it either =))

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

So the guy complains that the game is made better and all the stupid sexism is removed?

The op of this thread is exact reason, why I most likely will never play this game.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Some castanic males for your *cough* pleasure:

http://www.buffed.de/buffedde-Brands-143860/News/Tera-Neue-Ruestungs-Screenshots-zu-weiblichen-Castanic-Update-Neue-Screenshots-zu-den-maennlichen-Castanic-778785/galerie/1414105/777979/#?a_id=778785&g_id=777979&i_id=1414106

http://img1.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/2011/06/16/tera/tera01.jpg

http://static.computergames.ro/cg/assassin/images5/tera/tera036.jpg

http://img5.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/2011/01/11/tera/tera_ob07.jpg

I just popped like sixteen boners.

In my opinion, removing the loli is great. Restricting too much "sexiness" is a waste of time. I'm more of a low fantasy type of person so chicks wearing barely anything and going into battle seems a little off to me anyway. Still like TERA though.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I actually wrote a rather long blog on this very issue awhile back when it was fresh.  I even showed it to the developers and mods on the official TERA forums and, for the most part, it was received rather well.

Basically, to put it into simplest terms.  Fantasy doesn't stop being fantasy simply because certain elements resemble reality.  At the end of the day, these are fictional races in a fantasy world.  Elins aren't real, and nobody is harmed or affected in the slightest if anyone finds them to be sexually appealing, because they're blocks of data on a server.

The sexual exploitation of 'children' is a crime and a travesty because, as developing human beings, they aren't able to understand or comprehend sex, intimacy and all that goes along with it.  As such, they require protection until their brains are physically mature enough to better deal with the emotions and depth of an intimate relationship.

Many people see an Elin, and it triggers their protective instincts.  They see the creature as comparable to a child and as something to be protected, rather than objectified in a sexual manner.  The problem arises when you pause and realize that you are being protective of VIDEO GAME PIXELS.  Video game pixels which, according to the lore of the story, are far more ancient and knowledgeable than those other races whose no-no parts are far too visible for the delicate sensibilities of western society.

So, as a counter, I give you this:  youth is desirable in both western and eastern society.  Everyone wants to feel younger, look younger, smoother, sexier, more attractive.  If it becomes possible to sexually objectify and express wish fulfillment through a medium that harms absolutely no one (Online video games), why is this a bad thing?  It offers opportunities for exploration of a societal taboo within a controlled environment where there can be no victims.  Viewing the Elin in a sexual manner is simply an extension of what all Human beings look for in a mate.  Youth, vigor, endearment, attraction, in a physically pure form, but without the mental and emotional insufficiency of a physically immature human being to trigger our protective instincts.

If you don't find Elins attractive, fine.  But you can't possibly sit behind a computer and pontificate at people who do and believe that you have a valid reason for doing so.

Edit: I forgot to point out that, biologically, human beings are capable of procreation as early as 12-13 and in other places in the world that's when girls become women and are commonly married off.  Elins resemble that age, more than anything else.  It's western society that has tagged those additional years on the end.

Lets face it, no matter how many guys in this forum claim otherwise, I would say a sizable majority actually do find Elins attractive and simply won't admit it because they resemble something that is taboo.

The problem doesn't have so much to do with actual age as much as the Elin appearing to be pre-pubescent. This is not a cultural thing. It is a biological thing. Puberty produces the secondary sexual characteristics that act as clear signs of sexual maturity in mammals. Putting sexually suggestive clothing on a subject that is clearly not sexually mature is disturbing for a reason. This is why it is not really the same as having provocative clothes on an EQ2 Fae. The Female Fae may be small but their bust size and head to body size ratio suggest that the Fae are fully grown. The Elin may be fully grown according to their own biology but they simply don't appear that way to a casually observing human. They also don't appear to be post-pubescent teenagers. While they may be fully grown, they largely have pre-pubescent physical characteristics. That is why certain types of clothing seem out of place.

Beyone the Elin, however, I have absolutely no problem with the sexiness of the clothing. I rather hope that all this hand wringing doesn't impact how the rest of the races are presented.

All die, so die well.

• NixishNixish Member UncommonPosts: 185

Id love to see strapping young lads dressed in the same way in my mmorpgs. Why is it only the women who get to show the skin?

More dudes in iron bikinis please!!!!

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Originally posted by VikingGamer

The problem doesn't have so much to do with actual age as much as the Elin appearing to be pre-pubescent. This is not a cultural thing. It is a biological thing. Puberty produces the secondary sexual characteristics that act as clear signs of sexual maturity in mammals. Putting sexually suggestive clothing on a subject that is clearly not sexually mature is disturbing for a reason. This is why it is not really the same as having provocative clothes on an EQ2 Fae. The Female Fae may be small but their bust size and head to body size ratio suggest that the Fae are fully grown. The Elin may be fully grown according to their own biology but they simply don't appear that way to a casually observing human. They also don't appear to be post-pubescent teenagers. While they may be fully grown, they largely have pre-pubescent physical characteristics. That is why certain types of clothing seem out of place.

Beyone the Elin, however, I have absolutely no problem with the sexiness of the clothing. I rather hope that all this hand wringing doesn't impact how the rest of the races are presented.

I have not seen any sexual clothing on the Ellin race. The High Elf and the Castanic have crazy ho clothign, no doubt, but the clothing in question here is a bathing suit type bottom, I believe.

I don't think of bathing suits as being rather sexualized.

Is there the one butt cheek armor that the Ellin can wear?

Also, do the Ellin girate like the High Elf and Castanic do? If so, that may be too suggestive, but the clothing seems like beach apparel moreso than beaudoir apparel.

Am I missing something?

Someone please make a good MMO.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Dionysus187

Originally posted by atticusbc

Go look at release EverQuest 2. Thats what 'useful looking' armor looks like. Oh look plain plate armor in different colors and maybe some ornate drawings/carvings. /yawn

You do realise some people actually prefer that style right, myself included.  Yeah lets all wield weapons that look impossible and use armor that couldn't be made.  Lets at a bit of realism back into.

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

Originally posted by Nixish

Id love to see strapping young lads dressed in the same way in my mmorpgs. Why is it only the women who get to show the skin?

Although they dont go quite that far with males (unless you count the underwear renders which can't be accessed in-game), the males can show quite a bit of skin.

• NixishNixish Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by bygeorge

Originally posted by Nixish

Although they dont go quite that far with males (unless you count the underwear renders which can't be accessed in-game), the males can show quite a bit of skin.

Its a decent start I suppose. I'd love to see more thigh action, however.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.