Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CRS "War on Squads"?

Hi All,

My apologies if this topic has been covered before but I am a new forum user.

There has been some talk on the games offical forums regarding the direction the devs have taken and the negative impact the addtion of certain features has had on squads.

My reason for posting is to get an idea of how many squads (and subs) have left the game in the last 18 months. I ask here because any post on the official forums would be deleted.

My own squad KGW recently ceased holding squad nights due to poor attandance (down from 60-80 to 5-10 in 12 months) The reasons for the low attandance are numerious but one of the recurring themes seem to be high spawn delay (100 -120 seconds on SN's)

Below I have listed the squads I believe have left the game completly or no longer hold dedicated squad nights due to poor attendance (please feel free to correct me).

3rd Panzer Group - victims of the single AO in low pop?

KGW - as above

Lagus - usually do not holds offical SN in summertime?

The above are all AXIS squads because I mostly play AXIS and would not be familiar with ALLIED squads that have left.

Thanks.

Comments

• ZbusZbus Member Posts: 116

Spawn delay I dont agree with even if I was on the low pop side. But in the rats diffence they had to put it in due to the game mechanics the players wanted like truck MSP and Stargates which already act like a force multiplier at the point of attack or deffense. They needed some way to throttle the action a little or else it turns into 1 giant camp after anouther.

Anyway your a little late on the war on squads thing  that was done a while back when they stripped the squads of there ability to control when where and what time they could launch there attacks. AKA the HC and AO system. Those where the real large squad killers not spawn delay. 

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

At first glance I thought this thread was bumped from 2004!

Originally posted by rendus

At first glance I thought this thread was bumped from 2004!

Just the words (War on Squads) is a blast from the past thats for sure lol. 

• TontomanTontoman Member Posts: 196

There's a LOT of irony if a recent drop in squads and squad numbers are due to long spawn delays.

The first butchering of squads as mentioned was the time of Depots, MSP and AOs coming in. 

The fact that "instant action" MSP helped kill it, and now you've got to wait for spawn delay instead (good thing it's not fun truck ride) is just classic.  That's so military, hurry up and wait hehe.

But sorry to hear the news still, was a good game and I miss the squads.  Some of the best teambased FPS gaming I'd ever had.

• StugStug Member UncommonPosts: 387

Im not sure if you guys are watching the CRS webbie but there new patch is looking to reconfigure there approach to spawn delay.

Spawn delay should always have been a placeholder - it looks like it may have just been that....

Watch this space?

• angriffangriff Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by Stug

Im not sure if you guys are watching the CRS webbie but there new patch is looking to reconfigure there approach to spawn delay.

Spawn delay should always have been a placeholder - it looks like it may have just been that....

Watch this space?

Cough Cough... that last line should have read SOON! .   Dont worry the devs announced June 6th all the wonderful stuff showing up.. what ? It is almost September!  

This game coddles a few core players and provides very little developement on a broader sense.  While they announced the Americans and rocket powered anti tank weapons in that same announcement  they have yet to appear in the main campaign.  There are comments of these being only available in a special small room shootem up. which is a complete reversal of this game's dev comments for the last  9 years. 

Originally posted by angriff

Watch this space?

Cough Cough... that last line should have read SOON! .   Dont worry the devs announced June 6th all the wonderful stuff showing up.. what ? It is almost September!  

This game coddles a few core players and provides very little developement on a broader sense.  While they announced the Americans and rocket powered anti tank weapons in that same announcement  they have yet to appear in the main campaign.  There are comments of these being only available in a special small room shootem up. which is a complete reversal of this game's dev comments for the last  9 years. 

Angriff  on this we agree. Your last sentence says it all and is what alot of vets are ticked about. Almost 10 years of false promises will make even the most die hard fans of the game like I myself used to be a critic of the game. never thought I would reach this point but here i am. :(  

Of course Angriff - thats why they were actually letting players test the Panzerschreck and Bazooka on the Beta Server for the main campaign map whilst discussing the changes to the sapper they are going to make to accomodate the new weapon sets.

• angriffangriff Member Posts: 154

Of course Angriff - thats why they were actually letting players test the Panzerschreck and Bazooka on the Beta Server for the main campaign map whilst discussing the changes to the sapper they are going to make to accomodate the new weapon sets.

Well Well if it isnt Doc or Raftter in disguise.  I have returned here because of the moderators in the game forums have a better time cowarding to a few cyberbullies then they do allowing  true debate about the direction of the game.    Please do not get me wrong I think the developement of the strengths of the infantry are important.  Well let me rephrase that; were important.   This game as I had posted near the begining of this year  was what you see is what you get.  I said there would be no bazookas, and no US troops.. and low and behold they announce on their 10th anniversary that they are here.   But the fact is they are still not here almost 3 or 4 months later.  That is what 6 months of dev time for two rocket type antitank weapons that will not be put in until there is a third or fourth?  Will the French dissappear when the Americans arrive?

I applaud the effort to create the historically strong infantry unit but it cannot still strengthen its position.  Maybe it will break the stranglehold of the Tank fest in towns but  where are the barriers?  Where are the antitank obstacles?  Maybe they will make it in two then comes the big issue.

The game has lived so long on the tank fest camp that the player base will have a hard time adjusting.  There are not enough mechanics  or  enough variations in the game to cover the backlash that will result.  The game mechanics have for so long limited the armor battles of WWII into stagnant sitzkriegs albeit  there were times when both sides and just annihilated a group of defenders in town.  If the tanks capabilities are destroyed with the true weight of the infantry  in this heavy cover type in town type fighting  with flag captures in the town how will it survive? 

The player base will grow even more tired of the same old same old Maurice Gustave Gamelin Campaign over and over.  There is no flanking or running by towns with your tank units.  You have to slug it out  town by town.  There is no real flanking or breakthrough.  You have to slug it out town by town .. capture the depot.. camp the AB then capture the AB.  There is no variation of a Maxime Weygand campaign  where the invention of the proper tactic of fortified groupings that could have slowed the advance of the German Tanks if it had not been employed too late. 

There is no variation in the game at all.. It is the one small campaign.. where is the World War?  Where is the ability of the commanders to create something out of nothing and not just when they have the majority of players against a few?  Where is the game that we all fell in love with 10 years ago? 

• TontomanTontoman Member Posts: 196

Reminds me of the anti tank usages the hard foliage used to have.   As weird and unreal as it looked, it's really the only thing I found that gave the defenders something that felt like defensive works.  Good for scounting, good for ATGs (unlike the foliage now which just blocks your FOV and gives the zerging EI an easy shot), was something that had to be cleared for the tanks.

I've always wanted spawning outside the town (or the majority of it), as in FBs VS FBs.  Anything to get the fighting from being a city spawn point zerg.  But as other discussions have shown, with a playerbase wanting 5 seconds to combat,  how is a punch through lines and a drive to the next city going to work heh?  "What, we have to drive for 5 min (and that would be under the BEST conditions) to the next city??  I'm not paying $14.99 to DRIVE a tank".  No, I think any bigger scale battles are gone as by their nature they are slower paced and not with the current playerbase.

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122

Hey, I tried it out after quitting after launch and I rather like the MSPs.

My main gripe at that time was the sillyness of having to truck infantry for miles just to have them die in one shot.  That is, after you are able to make it through the gauntlet of tanks.

Now infantry can battle in towns where at least they can hide from merciless tanks.  Foliage cover was always a joke since some video cards don't even render them and some players disable them.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

Well Well if it isnt Doc or Raftter in disguise.  I have returned here because of the moderators in the game forums have a better time cowarding to a few cyberbullies then they do allowing  true debate about the direction of the game.    Please do not get me wrong I think the developement of the strengths of the infantry are important.  Well let me rephrase that; were important.   This game as I had posted near the begining of this year  was what you see is what you get.  I said there would be no bazookas, and no US troops.. and low and behold they announce on their 10th anniversary that they are here.   But the fact is they are still not here almost 3 or 4 months later.  That is what 6 months of dev time for two rocket type antitank weapons that will not be put in until there is a third or fourth?  Will the French dissappear when the Americans arrive?

I

I cant help but laugh but this has been the case since I was permabanned back in November of 2008.  The game forums is a place where you either suck up or get banned.   God forbid you actually no more about something than the developers or just ask that they admit the game engine is limited and cant handle such calculations.  But that would have been too easy, and might have hurt their precious little pride.  

Then the other issue is the infantry issue.  It is the same gameplay, the same boring sector, the same boring towns, and as much as they may seem different, every fight boils down to the same thing over and over and over again.   Its always a tank rush followed by a AB campfest, with a hour or so of stat padding by a few players, and then finally someone spawns a infantry and caps it.  

I love bringing this bit backup, but I STILL have my original WWIIOL manual that shipped with the game, and I am still waiting for other theaters of war to open up.  Like the Pacific, North Africa, Eastern Front, the rest of England.  

Too bad WWIIOL will most likely die if it doesnt go F2P soon.  And will definately die after Planetside 2 comes out.   Even though its not a WWII game it is a Massively Multi-player Online FPS, which is more than WWIIOL can handle.

Sorry DOC but your days as "Lord of the Flies" is over.

So much crap, so little quality.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by Hodo

I

I cant help but laugh but this has been the case since I was permabanned back in November of 2008.  The game forums is a place where you either suck up or get banned.   God forbid you actually no more about something than the developers or just ask that they admit the game engine is limited and cant handle such calculations.  But that would have been too easy, and might have hurt their precious little pride.  

Then the other issue is the infantry issue.  It is the same gameplay, the same boring sector, the same boring towns, and as much as they may seem different, every fight boils down to the same thing over and over and over again.   Its always a tank rush followed by a AB campfest, with a hour or so of stat padding by a few players, and then finally someone spawns a infantry and caps it.  

I love bringing this bit backup, but I STILL have my original WWIIOL manual that shipped with the game, and I am still waiting for other theaters of war to open up.  Like the Pacific, North Africa, Eastern Front, the rest of England.  

Too bad WWIIOL will most likely die if it doesnt go F2P soon.  And will definately die after Planetside 2 comes out.   Even though its not a WWII game it is a Massively Multi-player Online FPS, which is more than WWIIOL can handle.

Sorry DOC but your days as "Lord of the Flies" is over.

I have my original Manual as well, and even the disk. 

Years ago the game lost it's way,  I still want to know what was the purpose of dumbing down the game.

• ZdarcZdarc Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Whacko

I have my original Manual as well, and even the disk. 

Years ago the game lost it's way,  I still want to know what was the purpose of dumbing down the game.

I do too... as well as my SWG Box.. shame this happened to two games I loved. Crybabies cry and shit gets changed.

I just returned to WWIIOnline this week (while I wait for Star Wars on Rails.. I'm going to play with my kids ok.. don't give me a hard time :p ) and first spawn in I see not a lot has really changed. Every year I go back and find myself disappointed.

Might be time to go find WarBirds again and see if that's still around.

• antipropaantipropa Member Posts: 21

This is why I orginally left years ago.  That and how bad the server stability was.

I heard that they spammed for squad help to train people now.  Kind of bit the hand that you want to feed you now huh?

• depot12depot12 Member Posts: 156
    CRS would have been better to get rid of DOC than the other people.  Maybe they would still have a game.  His attitude towards the players and his decision making Im surprised they still have the lights on.
  • antipropaantipropa Member Posts: 21

It's hard to fire a guy that is "ALWAYS RIGHT".

And yes, his attitude toward players is horrible.  A person like that, no matter how valuable he is to the dev team or the foundation of the game, should not be allowed to have contact with your customers.  He is a guy that should show up for work and just do his job and sit in his "gosh I'm important" cubicle and do his thing.  His interaction itself has caused countless numbers of people to leave the game in an angry fashion.

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by depot12
    CRS would have been better to get rid of DOC than the other people.  Maybe they would still have a game.  His attitude towards the players and his decision making Im surprised they still have the lights on.

Yeah I'm not that confident at all in the game's future while he has any authority to make decisions. 

They explicitly tried to remove the various squads from the game, while every other MMO company does the opposite; they encourage guilds/squads to join and people to play socially. I've bounced around a few squads but the best time I had was simply driving on the road chatting and joking on teamspeak.

Most annoying is after every failure, DOC will blame the playerbase in his signature passive-aggressive manner. I still remember one campaign where axis was losing badly, so a few leaders got about 20 of us together and went softcapturing behind enemy lines. It didn't do anything to affect the map but it was fun. Well the usual group of allied players threw a fit the next day and DOC was like "It's unfortunate that the players can't be trusted to be sportsmanlike, so we'll have to fix it." All of us were just stunned.

I don't see how CRS can be doing any market research at all, it's like they just listen to the dwindling number of sycophants on the forums. It sounds bad but I don't know what else to think after that embarassing kickstarter.

Right - CRS hates the squads - thats why they have the Squad Host Programme that puts all new players in a squad.

How is that a war on squads?

Sounds like that is "CRS supports Squads" to me.

Right - CRS hates the squads - thats why they have the Squad Host Programme that puts all new players in a squad.

How is that a war on squads?

Sounds like that is "CRS supports Squads" to me.

Yea they put them under a CRS-controlled squad.  You mean "Screaming Weasels".  Another CRS disaster.

Nice try in attempting to confuse other people who are not up on the inside baseball details to try to invoke sympathy for your side of lame fanbois.   

CRS ruined squads when it created the HC system. I know and you know that you know that.  Nice try.  Typical WWIIOL fanboi WAAC'er   Probably the biggest reason most people left.

I dont hear alot of people other than you defending the game on here.

It sounds like you are out of touch, if you don't know about the Host Squad programme.

Tell me again, how can CRS have a war on squads if they are placing fresh players straight into squads?

Or is this another facet of the "CRS did this x years ago so I hate the game" issue you are experiencing?

Squads have no infulence in the day-to-day operation of the game. That is all run by the HC.  Back in the day when the squads were involved (pre-HC) is when it had the numbers.  The HC and other changes ruined everything.  You probably weren't even around when the game pre-HC.  Otherwise you would know how great it was. 
  • OtotheJOtotheJ Member Posts: 52

It sounds like you are out of touch, if you don't know about the Host Squad programme.

Tell me again, how can CRS have a war on squads if they are placing fresh players straight into squads?

Or is this another facet of the "CRS did this x years ago so I hate the game" issue you are experiencing?

LAWL and thats the kinda of thought pattern that has left no one playing your game.  You dont have a clue on squads, leadership, gameplay or the mechanics that compliment them.  Instead, we have this montrosity toe/hc/ao system that has been left to rot away the games player base and is single handedly the main reason for the majority of players leaving. The lack of thought out dev choices is very close second though

News flash - people dont find being herded to the box of play and stuck in corky the commander land for hours as the only choice of play even remotely enjoyable.  When your beloved game mechanics forced every player to submit to highly dumbed down leadership, forced canned gameplay, ludricrous supply and facing a continuous funblock on them doing anything...we all left :)

Squads? They are a shell of what they once were do to the above reason.  The point you will fail to ever understand is leaders and squads are built.  Game mechanics that dont impede players abilities to do this is a fundemental of this process. 

In a game like this the possibilities were endless. To have some appointed leader with no clue and some assinine never ending flags of supply system to go with it was a disgrace .  If you cant figure how detrimental this was to the game, please notice the next halfassed attack that happens.  We traded well established leaders that delivered great squad play for P1 the box all half assed.

Your game went from squads of all sizes and playing styles arcoss the map to one box of crap play.  Please never get consufed on why people dont play it any longer

Love

OJ

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please do not necro almost year old posts.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.