Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Collector's Edition Discussion (Cost/Items/Opinions)

Comments

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by Feydaway

$150 seems reasonable for all you get.

Personally, I wanted the authenticator ($8 value?), the map, and the music CD's.  $70 above and beyond the 'deluxe digital edition' is a bit steep for that but I figure I can sell that Darth Malgus statue on ebay for at least $40.

thats actually not a bad plan seeing as how those are the same things i pre order the CE for and couldn't care less about the statue.  also the holocam sounds interesting. an ingame way to record stuff

sign.. rumors rumors rumors.. were did you ever read you could record anyting..  asfar as known its just a gimic to rewatch cutscene's whit yours character in it.

read what the discription says,  it never says record anywere and controll anywere.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Snaylor47n.
    60USD for a new game is over priced?
    That is the average cost for a new game.
    Well, games have increased a lot in price so yes, it is somewhat pricy but so are most other games as well. 150 bucks for a CE is however insane, most CEs cost 10 or 15 bucks more than the regular edition.
    But compared to a music album it is nothing, there you have something that have become overprice. At least computer games are a lot more expensive to make nowadays, CDs are about the same as 15 years ago.

Does anyone have a gun to their head to buy it? It is the only way to play the game? No, it's optional junk. The rest is just posturing.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DromedarrDromedarr Member Posts: 76

150 is standart for collector's edition like that.  And it's already sold out at many shops so w/e

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Redline65

Just wait a few months after release and you might be able to snag it for much, much cheaper. I got the AoC CE for around $20 (shipped) that way.

theres a big diference between Conan fans and SW fans, the darn model collectors alone are plentyfull enough to buy every Ce edition that will be produced :P

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Redline65

Just wait a few months after release and you might be able to snag it for much, much cheaper. I got the AoC CE for around $20 (shipped) that way.

This. I snagged a Burning Crusade collector's edition for something like $20 at Fry's a few months after that expansion came out.

If you really want all that swag, just wait a while. Prices will drop.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Dromedarr

150 is standart for collector's edition like that.  And it's already sold out at many shops so w/e

LOL...Really?  When was the most recent CE of a mmorpg above $80.  With mainstream mmorpgs even in the last year, Im not aware of one as outlandish as $150.

What was the most recent, Rift?  What was that one at? I dont think it was $50, because this link was probably updated, but still;  http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1142148p1.html

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Don't buy it, that's YOUR perogative as a consumer.  I chose to buy in.

My reasons:

1)  Authenticator... for another WoW clone this is a MUST have in current MMO's

2)  Map... This will likely be framed near my desk

3)  Soundtrack.  Bioware has a history of delivering BIG TIME on their music.

4)  Collector Ed. Vendor - Sells limited edition items to help you INCLUDING a speeder for lvl 25 on the cheap cheap.

That statue will be placed next to my LBP2 book ends, Halo Reach Statue, and the pile o' junk from other collector's editions.  I think the ONLY C.E. that blew me away was the SC2 CE with the thumbdrive with the original/expasions on it.  But again, it had a soundtrack so I bought in.

• Originally posted by Eladi

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by Feydaway

$150 seems reasonable for all you get.

Personally, I wanted the authenticator ($8 value?), the map, and the music CD's.  $70 above and beyond the 'deluxe digital edition' is a bit steep for that but I figure I can sell that Darth Malgus statue on ebay for at least $40.

thats actually not a bad plan seeing as how those are the same things i pre order the CE for and couldn't care less about the statue.  also the holocam sounds interesting. an ingame way to record stuff

sign.. rumors rumors rumors.. were did you ever read you could record anyting..  asfar as known its just a gimic to rewatch cutscene's whit yours character in it.

read what the discription says,  it never says record anywere and controll anywere.

sorry meant to write "possibly an in game way to record stuff?"  probably correct in saying just a way to rewatch cut scenes but could be something else

• VorpalCheeseVorpalCheese Member Posts: 9

I felt $149.99 for everything this CE offered was more than reasonable.  I have no regrets. :D

• RipjawRipjaw Member Posts: 1

$149.99 is a little... much. I would rather just have the soundtrack and authenticator since most the the in-game items look useless anyways. the store not so much useless, but oh well. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Got my 4 CE Copies pre-ordered. Me happy.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by Loke666

150 bucks is just insane for a game, and I don't think they offer enough stuff in the box to even justify half that price.

Then again, star wars fans seems to be slightly insane with buying plastic crap for a whole lot of money so maybe they know what they are doing. And I remember when I thought 10 bucks were too expensive for my original Boba fett figurine as a kid...

The statue by itself is worth about $75 on the Gentle Giant website.

And alot of people will spend $75 for a designer T-shirt for thier pet poodle. It's certainly thier right to spend thier money however they want, and the designers right to charge whatever they think will get them the best return....still doesn't make it not silly ;)

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

For 150 they better throw in a plasma lightsabre or somethign cool. I'm not gonna fork out that kinda cash fo ra fancy box. I guess they are hoping ot make the 150 Million back in the first million pre orders lol.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

The only thing that makes this seem like much (and mind you I don't plan on buying the game so I have a bias), is that it only comes with 30 days of game play. You'd think for that price they'd at least make it 60. 

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Not a bad price for everything your getting, and plenty of people will buy it, CE's go like hot cakes and if you think otherwise your just in denial. Yes thats four disk to install the game, which is typical for current MMOs, and the monthly sub is going to be the same as the industry regular 14.99, CE's price has no reflection on a games month sub.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Seems reasonable when compared to other large titles like Halo and CoD.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

They want to make all the money back before people figure out it's only so many hours long to max lvl.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

Originally posted by Leoghan

The only thing that makes this seem like much (and mind you I don't plan on buying the game so I have a bias), is that it only comes with 30 days of game play. You'd think for that price they'd at least make it 60. 

Why? The $150 is only going to be paid by serious fanboys and collectors anyway. And a good chunk of that price comes from the statue they're buying and the extra physical swag like the books and soundtracks.

Everyone else will buy the standard box or the digital deluxe version depending on how much they're willing to spend.

Originally posted by Lidane

Why? The $150 is only going to be paid by serious fanboys and collectors anyway. And a good chunk of that price comes from the statue they're buying and the extra physical swag like the books and soundtracks.

Everyone else will buy the standard box or the digital deluxe version depending on how much they're willing to spend.

Very simple reason - it would have made for few "cry" threads over the price. If people think they are getting something with tangible value, not a toy, but something they can say, "yeah that's $30 right there". People are still going to buy it and probably more than you think, but giving them an extra month of free game time wouldn't have cost them very much and saved them a bunch of grief. Not eveyone would have been happy of course, but fewer people would be complaining and probably more willing to shell out the money. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Well i guess it doesnt matter if its a rip off or not. It is sold out. That didnt take long heh.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by Happyguy83

Seems reasonable when compared to other large titles like Halo and CoD.

Didn't COD special edition come with working nightvision goggles? Hardly seems comparable to me.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Very simple reason - it would have made for few "cry" threads over the price. If people think they are getting something with tangible value, not a toy, but something they can say, "yeah that's $30 right there". People are still going to buy it and probably more than you think, but giving them an extra month of free game time wouldn't have cost them very much and saved them a bunch of grief. Not eveyone would have been happy of course, but fewer people would be complaining and probably more willing to shell out the money. 

At least $75 of that CE price is for the statue alone. The rest is for the game and the physical swag.

For a collector or serious fanboy, they ARE getting something worth tangible value to them. Ergo, they're willing to pay that higher price.

For everyone else -- including me, BTW -- the $150 is too steep. I don't need or want the statue. I don't care about the books or soundtracks. I'm going to get the digital deluxe version instead. I'm a fan of the game, but not a serious collector or SW fangirl, so the mid-range deal is enough for me.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Well i guess it doesnt matter if its a rip off or not. It is sold out. That didnt take long heh.

Interesting... do you have a source for this? I wonder if the fact that it went live last night at midnight is going to come back to bite them. 

At least $75 of that CE price is for the statue alone. The rest is for the game and the physical swag.

For a collector or serious fanboy, they ARE getting something worth tangible value to them. Ergo, they're willing to pay that higher price.

For everyone else -- including me, BTW -- the $150 is too steep. I don't need or want the statue. I don't care about the books or soundtracks. I'm going to get the digital deluxe version instead. I'm a fan of the game, but not a serious collector or SW fangirl, so the mid-range deal is enough for me.

I doubt the statue will retain its value, unless they never open the CE box. 

I've seen a number of people who didn't care about the statue, but wanted the rest of the physical swag, those people would have been swayed by an extra month of game time, heck they probably could have made a second version with no statue and 60 days of free play, charged the same price and really made a killing.