Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Friday with Means - July 8th, 2011 - IDs Please

burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=591664

Friday with Means - July 8th, 2011 - IDs Please

*A German translation of this will be unavailable until next week as I was very late getting this to Waldgeist.*

Changing the Mission and Corpse ID systems on the Live dimensions seems to have gone well and we seem to be out of the woods on this issue at least for the foreseeable future. Running out of IDs in a non-recycling system brings things to a halt in a great big hurry. The update initially contained character-id recycling code that was not even remotely adequately tested...my fault not Macrosun's as I was orchestrating the testing process with the QA department. The update initially had a few problems...that were quickly pointed out by members of the community directly to the development staff. Because we got this information quickly from you guys we were able to determine what the problem was quickly and get a new version out to the live servers. Making a new ID system is easy..getting it to work with one that has already been running for 10 years is not. 4.4 Billion IDs is a large amount of information to move around.

Alien city attacks were completely broken due to the fact that the City controllers track the individual, non-reusable ID of individual aliens to determine whether the Hacker is dead or not. Players would kill the Hacker associated with a wave..and somewhere off in the distance a Leet would spawn..and be given the same ID as the Hacker previously had. When the city controller would run its periodic check on the Alien status in the city it would quite wrongly assume the new Leet was the Hacker and refuse to send out new aliens.

Mission and Corpse ID's were the ones that were running out inside the month...we'll have another shot at the CharacterIDs later as we have more than a year to get that one done. Thank you Macrosun for getting rid of another super-old-not-your-fault and seemingly impossible issue...you had me worried for awhile there!

Thank you again for your patience and support in tracking down that nasty issue.

See you on Live!

Colin Cragg

This "Means" Cake

Game Director/Producer

Filmed in 70's "tall-vision"

Means is offline Report Post       Reply With Quote

~\_/~\_O