Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: The Original Release Reviewed

Comments

• SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63

Hope you plan on doing a re-review soon. All of this will go out the window. 

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Delsus1

Also the reviewer only had PUG rank 1 and physical lvl r2, which proves to me he barely played it, so couldnt get a full feeling for most changes, like NMs, sidequests and behest changes, it looks like they played for less than 30 mins and wanted to write a review that should show changes for high ranks which they couldnt, this is a launch review because of what it covers and should be removed because its missleading saying nothing has changed. SS of r50 or the review is worth nothing.

After logging into the game for 30 seconds (and even before when signing up for an account) you already encounter the elephant that is the menu-driven UI. The response time has definitely improved over time (Omfg it was bad. :D) but it's still something that you deal with every single time you want to do ANYTHING in the game. It rears it's sluggish and big head everytime.

After a minute you encounter combat and the Target-Click-Target style combat.

ROFL @ asking for a R50 review.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Also the reviewer only had PUG rank 1 and physical lvl r2, which proves to me he barely played it, so couldnt get a full feeling for most changes, like NMs, sidequests and behest changes, it looks like they played for less than 30 mins and wanted to write a review that should show changes for high ranks which they couldnt, this is a launch review because of what it covers and should be removed because its missleading saying nothing has changed. SS of r50 or the review is worth nothing.

This is the Darkfall eurogamer review all over again.

Since you're now simply parotting Abiael from the official forums now, here's a direct quote from an R50 from there:

"If she leveled to 50 the game would get a score of 2 instead of 5 because only than she would grasp the full failure."

Anyways, no matter the score there would have been a mini little uprising from some portion of the community. The review and article is quite accurate for the game as it is now. 1.18, 1.19 and 1.20 is promising a lot of changes, but how they will fully turn out is currently unknown.

This weekend will hallmark the first, real step in the new development team's "rewriting," so we'll get a better idea of how it all goes from there on. 

I think enough has been said at this point for any new players to all ready fully get and grasp that, so we'll see how it all goes from here.

Also, @ the comment about "trying to kill the FF14 community," ground yourself, will you? None of this will do anything to the community right now. Those of us who have chosen to stay in face of all the game's problems won't leave just because of some random forumites opinion or 3rd party site review.

Originally posted by Ikeda

Originally posted by Godshelp

I love how there is a few people up above in this thread trying to kill off the FFXIV community.

And there are a few people with 25 posts or less on this particular thread defending it.  I'm not attacking the community.  I'm saying that MMORPG is being yelled at for waiting and then they review it and people complain.  Then they complain they should have waited for yet another patch.   Mind you this is patch 1.18 so following most intelligent version info.. they had 18! updates before this one.

And when you say new dev team, all they did was replace one director and bump everyone else on the SAME team up a notch.

They moves alot of the lead devs round and alot of the lower down devs will have been moved around just never got mentioned, it is a completly new team

Never got mentioned you say... then how do you know?

• GodshelpGodshelp Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Benthon

I love how there is a few people up above in this thread trying to kill off the FFXIV community.

And there are a few people with 25 posts or less on this particular thread defending it.  I'm not attacking the community.  I'm saying that MMORPG is being yelled at for waiting and then they review it and people complain.  Then they complain they should have waited for yet another patch.   Mind you this is patch 1.18 so following most intelligent version info.. they had 18! updates before this one.

And when you say new dev team, all they did was replace one director and bump everyone else on the SAME team up a notch.

They moves alot of the lead devs round and alot of the lower down devs will have been moved around just never got mentioned, it is a completly new team

A quote from Square Enix on the changes: "[Organizational Changes to the Development Team]

To improve the service of FINAL FANTASY XIV, Square Enix has made the following changes to the development team:

Managerial Changes

Producer/Director

Naoki Yoshida

Section Leader Changes

Assistant Director

Shintaro Tamai (FINAL FANTASY X, Front Mission 5: Scars of the War)

Lead Game Designer

Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY XI)

Lead Combat System Designer

Akihiko Matsui (FINAL FANTASY XI)

Technical Advisor

Yoshihisa Hashimoto (Next Generation Game Engine Development)

Lead Programmer

Hideyuki Kasuga (FINAL FANTASY XI, DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-)

Senior Concept Artist

Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

Lead Artist

Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY XI, THE LAST REMNANT)

Lead UI Designer/Lead Web Designer

Hiroshi Minagawa (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

These members will make up the development team’s new core—a core dedicated to ensuring we achieve a level of enjoyability that will more than satisfy our customers. Under a schedule of more frequent version updates, the new leaders and their respective sections will strive for continued improvements to FINAL FANTASY XIV service operation and development.

• Delsus1Delsus1 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

Since you're now simply parotting Abiael from the official forums now, here's a direct quote from an R50 from there:

"If she leveled to 50 the game would get a score of 2 instead of 5 because only than she would grasp the full failure."

Anyways, no matter the score there would have been a mini little uprising from some portion of the community. The review and article is quite accurate for the game as it is now. 1.18, 1.19 and 1.20 is promising a lot of changes, but how they will fully turn out is currently unknown.

This weekend will hallmark the first, real step in the new development team's "rewriting," so we'll get a better idea of how it all goes from there on. 

I think enough has been said at this point for any new players to all ready fully get and grasp that, so we'll see how it all goes from here.

Also, @ the comment about "trying to kill the FF14 community," ground yourself, will you? None of this will do anything to the community right now. Those of us who have chosen to stay in face of all the game's problems won't leave just because of some random forumites opinion or 3rd party site review.

Even if it would have given a lower rating no one can review a game in a couple of hours as I said if a game is crap then say its crap, but put your back into reviewing it and review it at a logical time (like after 1.18) and if its still crap then damn say its still crap.

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

Exactly. Just picking apart little pieces and changing subject every post in order to claim some "victories". A 50 by the name of Cichy posted that and it was immediately downplayed by Abiael. Pretty sure his POV of 50 is just as valid as his/hers. It just sounds like someone REALLY likes FFXIV and can't have anything bad said about it.

A quote from Square Enix on the changes: "[Organizational Changes to the Development Team]

To improve the service of FINAL FANTASY XIV, Square Enix has made the following changes to the development team:

Managerial Changes

Producer/Director

Naoki Yoshida

< MOAR Changes>

So what was the old list?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

"This is Red 5; I'm going in"

Seeing as I can get a collector's edition for 20 bucks...

P.S.  I'll try it out... but I seriously think I'm wasting my cash.

Managerial Changes

Producer/Director

Naoki Yoshida

< MOAR Changes>

What do you mean "old list"?  Those were just the new members they had placed in the FFXIV team...

• molotovzavmolotovzav Member Posts: 4

As an mmo reviewer there should at least be a separate article for when the dungeons are released.

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

They already promised a re-review. 

If I knew the answers I probably would be giving you them instead of debating them. (or I'd be hiding them and conspirating!)

What do you mean "old list"?  Those were just the new members they had placed in the FFXIV team...

So they changed the Director yet only ADDED people.. no switching, add/removing, etc? All I ever heard of was the Director switching.

Managerial Changes

Producer/Director

Naoki Yoshida

< MOAR Changes>

So they changed the Director yet only ADDED people.. no switching, add/removing, etc? All I ever heard of was the Director switching.

Not entirely sure.  I think it was said somewhere that they completely changed those though.  That's why it says "Changes" and not additions.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please refrain from baiting or attacking other users.

Originally posted by Godshel

Not entirely sure.  I think it was said somewhere that they completely changed those though.  That's why it says "Changes" and not additions.

I see. So they replaced the old ones with these new members/leaders. Besides the Director and the Lead Game Designer, I had forgotten about the other replacements.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

So Rift got its review about a month after release.  DCUO's was about three weeks later.  Earthrise?  Also about three weeks.  Yet this one was spared the merciful killing blow for what's now approaching a year?  Why the double standard?  Is the fact that the title was so bad that you felt it was unfair to give it an honest review back when it actually meant something? 

Apologies to those who enjoy it because my intent is not to offend you, but this game has become mostly irrelevant.  It actually would have been a better thing to not even bother with the review at this point.  It only confirms what most of us were safely assuming and ticks off those who number themselves fans.

Just do the reviews when the game comes out so the paying public can form some sort of opinion on whether or not it's worth an investment, even a meager one.  You can always re-review later if the game undergoes fundamental changes to warrant it.  A couple of weeks from now might have been a good time for just such a re-review.

When a game gets released, the product is on the market and it should be your job to give your readers a fair assessment of what's been put out there, clamoring for their gaming dollars.  The kind of special treatment extended to this game only makes me wonder why an honest review was verboten all this time.  Is someone in  MMORPG's executive a big FF franchise fan?

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by Unlight

When a game gets released, the product is on the market and it should be your job to give your readers a fair assessment of what's been put out there, clamoring for their gaming dollars.  The kind of special treatment extended to this game only makes me wonder why an honest review was verboten all this time.  Is someone in  MMORPG's executive a big FF franchise fan?

And BOOM headshot. This is exactly why this review is coming out at a bad time. People who know nothing will take it as truth and post this ^^^. 

No they are not fans, FF fans wouldn't post something so innacurate. :/ 

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

Originally posted by Cynthe

And BOOM headshot. This is exactly why this review is coming out at a bad time. People who know nothing will take it as truth and post this ^^^. 

Log in for me and tell me what's so inaccurate about what was said here. :) New content aside (again, they're going to post a followup), it's all accurate.

and tell me what's so inaccurate about what was said here. :) New content aside (again, they're going to post a followup), it's all accurate.

I play all the time and I've already posted what I wanted/needed to say I'm not going to play your prove me wrong game sorry lol.. 

edit: Maybe innacurate was a bad choice of words, I'll give  you that, how about incomplete? Misinformed? 

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Is there a better rationale for not exercising their due diligence and reviewing this title on the same type of schedule as every other?  Someone stopped a review from coming out all this time.  Someone made that call.  I just want to know why.

and tell me what's so inaccurate about what was said here. :) New content aside (again, they're going to post a followup), it's all accurate.

I play all the time and I've already posted what I wanted/needed to say I'm not going to play your prove me wrong game sorry lol.. 

<Your edit>

The article already disclaimers the whole thing in the second paragraph. If you want to argue they should've added that a new patch was coming in a few days, I'd throw back that the review was written over a period of time. :)

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

From reading about MO/Darkfall and other games that launched like a IED, I wouldn't hold a reveiw on a supposed "mircle" patch either.

This game was extensivly betaed, then sold and launched as complete. The fact that they came back and said they wouldn't charge until it was fixed was good of them, but end state is it does not make up for the false start, nor the outlay of money from the people who bought it at its initial box price, vice the $0.11 its going for now.

Is there a better rationale for not exercising their due diligence and reviewing this title on the same type of schedule as every other?  Someone stopped a review from coming out all this time.  Someone made that call.  I just want to know why.

Yes well honestly at this point so do I. The reasons they gave does not satisfy me one bit. Guesses are; they are posting it so they can post an updated review later outlining what's different, or they just don't care.

Personally I think it's the latter. But I guess we'll see. 

edit: Yes an extensive beta where ALL the features complained about here were given MUCH feedback on and was never addressed and pushed aside by fans and the old dev team alike. Game launches, is a bad mess, SE goes WTH Tanaka where's your promised content and additiions? Tanaka's like I got nothing. Enters Yoshi: "Hmmm this whole thing's design is crazy, let's redo it!!" 

10 months later, here we are. On the brink of things changing and no one who isn't actively following the game would never know because bloggers who haven't played the game since launch go ahead and post this! 

Oh well... Here's to hoping there's a better assesment come winter/spring. And if not well there's better sites out there anyway. I'm not even sure why I posted all day today I swear this place is like crack.... Once you post you can't stoooop. 

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• KcebEnyawKcebEnyaw Member Posts: 29

The problem with this review isn't that it is inaccurate. It's the suspect timing for it's release. If they wanted to blast this game for all it's flaws they should have done it months ago. There is no excuse you can give to any member of this games community for blast it like this a week before it is supposed to be completly overhauled.