Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: The Original Release Reviewed

Comments

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by Ikeda

EDIT:  ZOMG, look one post above mine.  The miracle 1.8 is coming out, then a miracle 1.9 2 months after that!  I can predict te future.. it's like I have ESP-N or something :-P

Yeah yeah... That's not the point, their reason for holding out on a review and their reason for doing it now before MAJOR changes are due to BEGIN. Is the point, it makes no logical sense. 

Did I say ZOMG diz patch is gonna BLOW your damned troll's minds OFF!!! LOLZZ ??

No I'm actually well aware of the game's strengths AND shortcomings and why certain people wouldn't enjoy this and why some would. In fact I wrote a preview of this before the game came out and was defamed pubically for daring to list the things the game would do to scare people away, though I was 100% right. 

These patches are NOT going to change the game so drastically you will all magically fall under it's spell and won't be able to resist playing and eat your words that you dared to not like it.... BUT it will the beginning of a new era for the game and it's community and it's a disservce to those people that such a review as this comes out now instead of waiting out the week to try it out and report IF it really does herald better times for the game or not. 

This review as it stands reads like the game that came out at launch and does a very poor job of outlining what has actually been done so far and is coming. It's a crying shame of a review. 

So next time just release the review when you actually wrote it or when you last played the game. 

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• AbriaelAbriael Member Posts: 129

In the end, MMORPG can't win.  This game has been out for a year now.

Of course they can win. They can do what any gaming journalist with integrity would do. Review a game when it's released (after the necessary time to experience it sufficently, which can vary between a week or two and a month), and then, if warranted, re-review it AFTER some major patching changes things enough to make a further review relevant.

It's actually very, very simple.

The miracle patches have yet to hit in that time.  In FACT, there are a score of MAJOR MMO's coming out on the market soon enough.  The fact that SE STILL isn't charging for this tells you how they REALLY feel.

The fact that SE isn't charging, and is paying to mantain the servers going and further development without even implementing a cash shop to generate revenue tells us only one thing:
    That they're confident that they can turn this game around in a good one.

Otherwise they would have already closed it or turned it into a full fledged F2P game that generates revenue with alternate methods. It's quite simple. Business 101.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by ZizouX

First people complain that they want a review for this game.

THEN people complain when they get a review for their game that isn't good.

THEN the same people say "Why did you review this, it's about to have the miracle patch".

After the miracle patch they will say "Wait for the next patch, that review doesn't take into account all the changes they are saying will take place".

In the end, MMORPG can't win.  This game has been out for a year now.  The miracle patches have yet to hit in that time.  In FACT, there are a score of MAJOR MMO's coming out on the market soon enough.  The fact that SE STILL isn't charging for this tells you how they REALLY feel.

You may enjoy the game, good for you.  But questioning the integrity of a reviewer on a site who was NICE enough to hold review for this long and GENERALLY conforms to every other review out there.  I'm sorry, but that screams of fanboism.

Have a good day.

EDIT:  ZOMG, look one post above mine.  The miracle 1.8 is coming out, then a miracle 1.9 2 months after that!  I can predict te future.. it's like I have ESP-N or something :-P

AS stated previously, there are no such things as miracle patches, however there are important patches that make fundamental changes.

1.18 is one of those patches.  The review would be relevant and accurate had it waited 4 days more.  I think the review was written months ago.  It was rubber stamped last week, and released today.

I'll state on the record that I agree with the score if this was released a month after release.  However, the manner in which the article is worded (using "rumor" on game changes that are facts known more than a month ago) and the timing, makes the review less than credible or informative.

A month after release? Really. The article is worded "cryptically" with "rumour", whatever, but you go on to say that they should've known them a month ago. So the article is only a month old. Not much can change in a month. The game is recieving 1.8, which adds auto-attack and a combat revamp. That was, what, one section of the review article?

It all comes back to the fact that the game SHOULD'VE gotten a lower score had it been reviewed when it was released, like most other games. But MMORPG.com waited and you should be happy that it got higher because it had almost a year to fix stuff.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

PS3 launch was indefinitely put on hold due to how bad the PC launch was.  Fairly sure they've stopped entirely on it.

And you would be wrong: Here's some relevant news for you:

Final Fantasy XIV's PS3 version Coming "At All Costs"

Originally posted by Benthon

A month after release? Really. The article is worded "cryptically" with "rumour", whatever, but you go on to say that they should've known them a month ago. So the article is only a month old. Not much can change in a month. The game is recieving 1.8, which adds auto-attack and a combat revamp. That was, what, one section of the review article?

More fact checking needed here, or simply to actually read the thread.  1:18 adds quite a lot more than that. It adds two dungeons, an overhaul of quests and levequests, more quests, grand companies and relative missions, removal of the fatigue system and changes to the death penalty, and even more stuff.

All confirmed. No rumor there.

Which makes a large portion of the article completely irrelevant in 4 days. Job well done.

• Delsus1Delsus1 Member Posts: 48

I would like to at the very least see an apology and this review taken down and get it re reviewed after 1.18.

[Mod Edit]

Originally posted by Delsus1

I would like to at the very least see an apology and this review taken down and get it re reviewed after 1.18

That's a conduct that I would expect from a media outlet with integrity after this debacle. Needless to say, I don't think It'll ever happen.

Originally posted by Abriael

More fact checking needed here, or simply to actually read the thread.  1:18 adds quite a lot more than that. It adds two dungeons, an overhaul of quests and levequests, more quests, grand companies and relative missions, removal of the fatigue system and changes to the death penalty, and even more stuff.

Which makes a large portion of the article completely irrelevant in 4 days. Job well done.

So:

Aesthetics is untouched by any of those.

Innovation is untouched by any of those.

Gameplay is still vastly untouched (in the categories of account creation, tutorial, and storyline).

Polish moves up a little, I guess?

Longevity is more of an opinion based thing, imo.

Social is still a hassle.

Value relatively similar.

Honestly, one patch isn't going to change what this game is. It's going to take a lot of time and effort to turn this thing into a game. If there was a category for "Determination to turn it around" they'd have 10/10 but they've fallen so far and many bigger sharks are coming into the pool soon that by the time they can say "We're ready." there's going to be few who will listen.

Originally posted by Abriael

I would like to at the very least see an apology and this review taken down and get it re reviewed after 1.18

That's a conduct that I would expect from a media outlet with integrity after this debacle. Needless to say, I don't think It'll ever happen.

Prolly not because they want to do as much damage to FFXIV as they can,  but we can always hope, also the entire official forums saw through this review.

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

They didn't review it in a timely manner because "it wasn't ready."  Seriously?  Since when do they decide when it is ready for a review?  It hits stores... it's their responsibility to review a major title.  Imagine if real journalists practiced this type of BS?  (Although I'm sure some do).

But now that a major game overhaul is coming in four days... it IS ready?  They have divided their own logic.  They should have written an article about the upcoming changes, maybe interviewed someone from SE... you know... what a real journalist would do.

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

I would like to at the very least see an apology and this review taken down and get it re reviewed after 1.18.

What's a fair buffer to review a game? A year? 2-3 years? I'm a big FF fan and FFXIV deserves the harsh reviews because the game was released is a sorry state.  It's like they took all those years of what they learned from FFXI and then started from square 1 all over again.  Seriously, did any of the people who made that game ever even play an MMO? 

Anyone who reviews 4 days before a patch is trying to damage a game as much as possible this site should show some balls and stand up to this joke of a reviewer who wants FFXIV to fail why else would the review be done now?

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Honestly, one patch isn't going to change what this game is. It's going to take a lot of time and effort to turn this thing into a game. If there was a category for "Determination to turn it around" they'd have 10/10 but they've fallen so far and many bigger sharks are coming into the pool soon that by the time they can say "We're ready." there's going to be few who will listen.

OMFG someone give me a penny for every time I've heard this: new bigger badder MMOs are coming and they're going to take over!!! No they don't, what happened with Rift lately? 

Let's see: game launched with great success and is very smooth, a ton of people play it for some months, after level cap many decide it's not much different then how WoW runs, a bunch get bored and now wait for the next big hit to fullfill another 8 months of leveling to reach end cap and do it all over again. 

Don't even try to pretend that MMOs have this amazing longetivity anymore and that any single one is going to pull a WoW and attract everyone for years. Nope, they are all 'niche' and it's far more relevant to push out quality content at a good rate then try to beat out any competition. Maybe that's actually one of FFXIV's down fall, releasing wayyyyy too early to beat out other MMOs, yeah that was a great idea! :S 

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Prolly not because they want to do as much damage to FFXIV as they can,  but we can always hope, also the entire official forums saw through this review.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/16719-mmorpg-s-review

(I don't know if non members can read that :P)

It is true for page 1 and 2, but past that you'll realize that a good chunk is saying the review is perfectly fair, while the other half is saying what you, Abriael and Cynthe are saying (btw, you'll notice some common names there, too).

Originally posted by lthompson94

They didn't review it in a timely manner because "it wasn't ready."  Seriously?  Since when do they decide when it is ready for a review?  It hits stores... it's their responsibility to review a major title.  Imagine if real journalists practiced this type of BS?  (Although I'm sure some do).

But now that a major game overhaul is coming in four days... it IS ready?  They have divided their own logic.  They should have written an article about the upcoming changes, maybe interviewed someone from SE... you know... what a real journalist would do.

So.. regardless of what's coming in the near future, SE has still had almost a year in THEIR benefit to make the game better than what it should've been reviewed as. Guess you wanted that 4.1 on here for another 2 years instead of a 5.1

Do you seriously think FFXIV could be further damaged than what its earned on its own?

So:

Aesthetics is untouched by any of those.  - Aesthetics was downrated because of the UI, which is a gameplay issue in the first place, marring the review to begin with.  The game is obviously beautiful graphically, and combat animation changes will also affect the overall aesthetic.

Innovation is untouched by any of those. - The introduction of a new company system, quest system, and combat system is innovation.  Innovation score could easily be effected by the new implimentations.  We still haven't seen their take on dungeons and boss fights either.

Gameplay is still vastly untouched (in the categories of account creation, tutorial, and storyline). - Gameplay is what is being effected the most.  The entire combat mechanics and progression system are being redone.

Polish moves up a little, I guess? - This will also happen adding or taking away from the aesthetics score.

Longevity is more of an opinion based thing, imo. - Can't argue there, but when the game is better, people generally want to play it longer.  When there is more content via companies, dungeons, etc, people may want to play more.  They may want to play less.  The fact is, the review is irrelevent in this as well in the next 4 days.

Social is still a hassle. - When and if more people start playing, the community could potentially change drastically, changing the Social score.  Or, there could be an angry exodus, lowering it.

Value relatively similar. - When a game is delivering more content, and is more polished, it's value increases.  Potential change in that score as well.

Obviously, pretty much every one of those would be effected by the patch.  Whether it is better or worse is not for me to decide.  Hell the score might even go down.  But it will be effected.  This is an obvious post from someone who has no idea the breadth of changes being made and is still deciding to comment about it.  Like I said, it might go up, it might go down, but this review will be completely irrelevent in 4 days.  This review kicks a company while it's down.

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/16719-mmorpg-s-review

(I don't know if non members can read that :P)

It is true for page 1 and 2, but past that you'll realize that a good chunk is saying the review is perfectly fair, while the other half is saying what you, Abriael and Cynthe are saying (btw, you'll notice some common names there, too).

People wouldnt have minded if they released a review after 1.18, 4 days before the biggest patch (note I have never said miricle patch) is completly illogical unless they want the game to fail, and the only reason this site would is because SE gave them no money. I have not seen any logical arguments to wait till 4 days before a patch, this website is getting bad press on the official foums and fansites because of this out of date review, completly biased review

Do all games get re-reated after every patch or expansion nowadays? 

*re-rated

So:

Aesthetics is untouched by any of those.  - Aesthetics was downrated because of the UI, which is a gameplay issue in the first place, marring the review to begin with.  The game is obviously beautiful graphically, and combat animation changes will also affect the overall aesthetic.

Innovation is untouched by any of those. - The introduction of a new company system, quest system, and combat system is innovation.  Innovation score could easily be effected by the new implimentations.  We still haven't seen their take on dungeons and boss fights either.

Gameplay is still vastly untouched (in the categories of account creation, tutorial, and storyline). - Gameplay is what is being effected the most.  The entire combat mechanics and progression system are being redone.

Polish moves up a little, I guess? - This will also happen adding or taking away from the aesthetics score.

Longevity is more of an opinion based thing, imo. - Can't argue there, but when the game is better, people generally want to play it longer.  When there is more content via companies, dungeons, etc, people may want to play more.  They may want to play less.  The fact is, the review is irrelevent in this as well in the next 4 days.

Social is still a hassle. - When and if more people start playing, the community could potentially change drastically, changing the Social score.  Or, there could be an angry exodus, lowering it.

Value relatively similar. - When a game is delivering more content, and is more polished, it's value increases.  Potential change in that score as well.

Obviously, pretty much every one of those would be effected by the patch.  Whether it is better or worse is not for me to decide.  Hell the score might even go down.  But it will be effected.  This is an obvious post from someone who has no idea the breadth of changes being made and is still deciding to comment about it.  Like I said, it might go up, it might go down, but this review will be completely irrelevent in 4 days.  This review kicks a company while it's down.

Social includes the tools in the system, not the population exclusively. Guilds and chatting are almost nonexistant and not because the population is just low.

The "new" combat system and quest system is innovative in FFXIV itself, but not other games, sorry.

Gameplay is untouched in account creation, tutorial, and storyline. Sure, combat is being overhauled. That's one part, you nailed it.

Value: in the grand scheme of things, the value of this patch won't increase the value of the game by more than an tiny margin.

Originally posted by ghostinfinit

Do all games get re-reated after every patch or expansion nowadays? 

I arent saying to re-rate every game, but MMOs are differant to offline games because the contantly change, take any MMO now that has been out 3+ years, they are not the same game as they were at release, MMOs should be reviewed after game changing patches,*sarcasm mode on* or if your a retarded mmorpg.com reviewer then 4 days before, *sarcasm mode off*

So.. regardless of what's coming in the near future, SE has still had almost a year in THEIR benefit to make the game better than what it should've been reviewed as. Guess you wanted that 4.1 on here for another 2 years instead of a 5.1

I don't think you read my post.

MMORPG has a responsibility to review a game in a timely manner. If the game is crap, say it's crap and call it a day.  Almost a year in THEIR benefit?  That's not for a journalist to decide.  They should not cater to any company, nor make decisions as to what is "ready" for a review.  When it's on shelves, it's ready to be reviewed.

A) It is not for them to decide when a game is "ready."  They should be too busy informing consumers.

B) They defy their own logic by claiming it's "ready" before a major overhaul.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Value: in the grand scheme of things, the value of this patch won't increase the value of the game by more than an tiny margin.

How the heck do you know?

Originally posted by Cynthe

OMFG someone give me a penny for every time I've heard this: new bigger badder MMOs are coming and they're going to take over!!! No they don't, what happened with Rift lately? 

Let's see: game launched with great success and is very smooth, a ton of people play it for some months, after level cap many decide it's not much different then how WoW runs, a bunch get bored and now wait for the next big hit to fullfill another 8 months of leveling to reach end cap and do it all over again. 

Don't even try to pretend that MMOs have this amazing longetivity anymore and that any single one is going to pull a WoW and attract everyone for years. Nope, they are all 'niche' and it's far more relevant to push out quality content at a good rate then try to beat out any competition. Maybe that's actually one of FFXIV's down fall, releasing wayyyyy too early to beat out other MMOs, yeah that was a great idea! :S 

Like FFXIV has much of a playerbase to grab from already. I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure many other FFXIV players are interested in atleast one of the following upcoming MMO's: TERA, SWTOR, GW2, Archeage. I'm not spelling DOOM and GLOOM from the Heavens above, only that these games will take what little playerbase FFXIV has and make it that much smaller.