Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of us MMO gamers use game tracking software like Raptr, Xfire, Comrade etc..?

CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I thought a poll to see what percentage of us MMO gamers actually use these types of software would be interesting as they are commonly used to bolster arguments involving whether a game is doing well or not population wise. This is mainly because modern MMO developers like to keep their sub numbers close to their chest, especially if their game is not doing very well, so we, the ones who find the subject of sub numbers interesting (yes its mad I know image)  are left to try and surmise what the numbers actually are by using the data from these tools, but that does lead to rather circular arguments. I don't know if we will get a high enough sample to guess the percentage of strictly MMO users but hey its worth a go. I suppose we could state which ones we use as well. 

I use Raptr and Xfire as I like to track how many hours I've played a game and they are useful to keep in touch with people you've met in an MMO that you don't play anymore.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Comments

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

Steam, but mostly because Im forced into having it. I dont really care about my stats.,..

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

Steam, I like it.

Chins

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Steam.

I troll the mmopg.com group chat alone.

Luckilly no one else is there to see me talk to myself!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Wow I didn't expect it to hit 20% actually using it.  Was thinking like 5-10.

the results are clearly skewed.  You will only respond if you can name the service you are using, and if you are on this site you are more than likely to be.  We are all anomolies.

Chins

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Steam is the only one i use and it's only for buying games in sales, not for stats, chat or anything else. I used to use Xfire ages ago but found it pointless so stopped.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

to op the only comrade site i could find is this:

http://mycomrade.com/

probably wrong site!can you link proper site!

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

The only time I use one is when I 'have' to. 

i.e. Steam

So, I answered "No", just because I don't use one by choice. ;)

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by drbaltazar

to op the only comrade site i could find is this:

http://mycomrade.com/

probably wrong site!can you link proper site!

Its IGN's tool

http://comrade.gamespy.com/

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

ty

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

According to xfire.com they have 30k users playing WoW per day. Of course, you can't actually assume anything based on such a small sampling which is why we often come up with lousy estimates for elections and such, but it's still fun to run some numbers based on the statistics that are available. So even though 30k players per day do not represent all of the players on xfire who play WoW, I'm still going to use the 30k as if it were and say that of the 11.4 mil players in WoW, .26% of them are on xfire.

Assuming that .26% of people who play all games are on xfire (again not a safe assumption but it's all we have) we can make some rough estimates of game populations. Slightly off topic but it's in the same ballpark! =)

Top mmorpg's:

LoL: 12.3 million players

Minecraft: 1,045,000 players

APB Reloaded: 749,000 players (but declining rapidly)

Rift: 736,000 players

World of Tanks: 716,000 players

EVE: 715,000 players (I believe EVE's numbers are documented and are much lower? not sure...)

Aion: 621,000 players

LotRO: 569,000 players

Other games people like to talk about -

Age of Conan: 307,000 players

Runes of Magic: 263,000 players

Atlantica Online: 135,000 players

Allods: 113,000 players

DDO: 90,000 players

Warhammer: 43,000 players

CoX: 40,000 players

/end.off.topic

ps: I'm guessing that more people here at mmorpg utilize tracking than the average casual gamer. I also am not sure that steam should be included in the poll since it is required software for so many games now that people have it on their system unwillingly. I, on the other hand, tend to avoid steam games altogether because I don't want tracking software on my system.

edited for list clarity

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

one thing we have to remember asia doesnt know all the tool we use and yet they are 400 million online just in china alone, so i bet they arent just

playing checker online.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I dont use tools like this.  The reason is simple.  I vew them all as spyware.  Who in their right mind wants spyware on their computers.   These programs get into your system,  xfire gets deep into your registry.

I installed xfire once becasue I was in a guild who demanded it.  I would be off playing something else and the guild leader would be all up my rear. Why are you playing that,  you do know we have a raid going on.   I had sinded up for that raid, and was told to sit,  so I decided to go do something else.

So the main reason why I don't use it is spyware,  the other reason is I don't need somebody to track me down when I am off having fun.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Steam's the only tool like this I would use, the rest are intrusive and unnecessary for what I do.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159

LOL is not a MMORPG

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by BoA*

LOL is not a MMORPG

Well, you have a point there.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Yeh, I use steam but not for the pupose of tracking but to manage all my games as steam auto-updates and have a nice interface and great sales.

Originally posted by Joarnaj

Originally posted by BoA*

LOL is not a MMORPG

Well, you have a point there.

Perhaps a little too cocky tho

Chins

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

Used to use xFire to communicate with clans and groups in its hayday (especially for FPS's like UT2004), and its easy screenshot/video features. Got rid of it about a year ago, because nobody uses it.

I've had Steam for ages, but only been actually using it daily for about 2 years. All my r/l friends use it, and practically everyone from an old MMO guild do too. Not to mention its a game store, and an easy way to screenshot/video.

Steam is great IMO. :) I'd actually be pretty lost without it. I like to keep gaming buddies in one place, and the rest in MSN / Facebook, where they cannot get to me when I'm in-game :P.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Seems not many are interested and two thirds of those interested don't use any of these tools so it might be said that they really are irrelevant, maybe in time this will change though.

• izanagi256izanagi256 Member UncommonPosts: 9

I use xfire

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Joarnaj

According to xfire.com they have 30k users playing WoW per day. Of course, you can't actually assume anything based on such a small sampling which is why we often come up with lousy estimates for elections and such, but it's still fun to run some numbers based on the statistics that are available. So even though 30k players per day do not represent all of the players on xfire who play WoW, I'm still going to use the 30k as if it were and say that of the 11.4 mil players in WoW, .26% of them are on xfire.

Assuming that .26% of people who play all games are on xfire (again not a safe assumption but it's all we have) we can make some rough estimates of game populations. Slightly off topic but it's in the same ballpark! =)

Top mmorpg's:

LoL: 12.3 million players

Minecraft: 1,045,000 players

APB Reloaded: 749,000 players (but declining rapidly)

Rift: 736,000 players

World of Tanks: 716,000 players

EVE: 715,000 players (I believe EVE's numbers are documented and are much lower? not sure...)

Aion: 621,000 players

LotRO: 569,000 players

Other games people like to talk about -

Age of Conan: 307,000 players

Runes of Magic: 263,000 players

Atlantica Online: 135,000 players

Allods: 113,000 players

DDO: 90,000 players

Warhammer: 43,000 players

CoX: 40,000 players

/end.off.topic

ps: I'm guessing that more people here at mmorpg utilize tracking than the average casual gamer. I also am not sure that steam should be included in the poll since it is required software for so many games now that people have it on their system unwillingly. I, on the other hand, tend to avoid steam games altogether because I don't want tracking software on my system.

edited for list clarity

30k is a small sample?  What do you consider a large sample?  Also, what is your background in statistics?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I never use them.  What I play is my binness.

• golembanegolembane Member UncommonPosts: 102

I used Xfire for a fairly long time until they were bought out and the updates stopped coming, at that point I went to Raptr since it allowed for me to not need to log into YIM, Xifre, and whatever other chat program I needed because there was no standard. 

It doesn't have the screenshot/video functionality of Xfire, but I don't mind to much, and if it's a Steam based game, then I can just take screenshots and videos with Steam anyhow.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

just 1 all the time

xfire, also because i can configure it to also have my msn and gtalk list in there, so i can chat with gaming friends and real life friends on 1 chat client, as for game tracking meh fun to see how much time of my life im wasting. 

steam i only use it when i have to (play steam games) other than that steam is off.