Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heatwave CEO took the time to rate his own game.

I find it encouraging when company employees take the initiative to purchase and play their own games. It demonstrates a level of commitment that goes beyond the paycheck.

However, I find it morally questionable when employees use the ratings features of press and media sites to influence impressions of their games. This is especially true if the employees don't clearly identify themselves as such when using these features.

That's why I was concerned to find a rating  for Gods & Heroes from SunSword, the MMORPG.com handle of Heatwave Interactive CEO Anthony Castoro.

SunSword writes: Little game, great company, lots of potential. Wed Jun 22 2011 2:09 AM

Anthony Castoro should be able to command an interview with whomever he wants if he wishes to share his opinions about the game, the company, and its potential. Why would the CEO, of all people, be using this feature intended for players?

On July 1, 2011, the Gods & Heroes launcher went on to proclaim that the game was #1 in user ratings on MMORPG.com. Was there some effort to manipulate these rankings? How did the game drop from #1 to #42 in less than two weeks?

I'm not saying employees shouldn't be enthusiastic about their work. In fact, I have appreciated Anthony Castoro's comments in these very forums in the past. I hope he will take the time to clarify his rating and comment here, as well as the company's official position on its employees using such features.

Comments

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by Fredelas

I find it encouraging when company employees take the initiative to purchase and play their own games. It demonstrates a level of commitment that goes beyond the paycheck.

However, I find it morally questionable when employees use the ratings features of press and media sites to influence impressions of their games. This is especially true if the employees don't clearly identify themselves as such when using these features.

That's why I was concerned to find a rating  for Gods & Heroes from SunSword, the MMORPG.com handle of Heatwave Interactive CEO Anthony Castoro.

SunSword writes: Little game, great company, lots of potential. Wed Jun 22 2011 2:09 AM

Anthony Castoro should be able to command an interview with whomever he wants if he wishes to share his opinions about the game, the company, and its potential. Why would the CEO, of all people, be using this feature intended for players?

On July 1, 2011, the Gods & Heroes launcher went on to proclaim that the game was #1 in user ratings on MMORPG.com. Was there some effort to manipulate these rankings? How did the game drop from #1 to #42 in less than two weeks?

I'm not saying employees shouldn't be enthusiastic about their work. In fact, I have appreciated Anthony Castoro's comments in these very forums in the past. I hope he will take the time to clarify his rating and comment here, as well as the company's official position on its employees using such features.

That's nothing bad.  He admits it's a little game and says he likes the people he works with while also suggesting the game has potential.  Big deal.  Not like he said BUY IT NOW I LOVE IT!

I think you're over-reacting

Full Sail University - Game Design

• FredelasFredelas Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Bainwalker 

That's nothing bad.  He admits it's a little game and says he likes the people he works with while also suggesting the game has potential.  Big deal.  Not like he said BUY IT NOW I LOVE IT!

My main concern is that if the CEO is doing this, how many of the company's other employees are doing this? And why didn't he clearly identify himself as having a personal financial stake in the game at the time he rated it?

I'm not arguing that his comment is untrue. On the contrary, I agree with each of the three statements he makes. I just don't think user ratings are the appropriate place for unidentified company employees to make such statements.

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

How did the game drop from #1 to #42 in less than two weeks?

It was released and people played it for 2 weeks, that's how.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

My main concern is that if the CEO is doing this, how many of the company's other employees are doing this? And why didn't he clearly identify himself as having a personal financial stake in the game at the time he rated it?

I'm not arguing that his comment is untrue. On the contrary, I agree with each of the three statements he makes. I just don't think user ratings are the appropriate place for unidentified company employees to make such statements.

I'd agree with you if one of them was caught truly ranting about how great the game is and telling people to play.  All I see is a guy that made a nice comment towards the game.  CEOs are people too you know, don't chew on his ass for checking up on his game on a community meant for MMO gamers... guess what, devs are gamers.

Full Sail University - Game Design

It looks like the company is trying to vote their game up on Metacritic now too, according to reports from another player on Heatwave's forums.

Was today "employee day" on Metacritic?

Again, there may be nothing technically wrong with this. Pride in one's work is a good thing. It just seems shady from an ethical perspective.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

Let's face it, any game company that does not try to game the system is an anomaly. Do you really think employees whose livelihoods depends on the success of a title are going to restrain themselves from creating an anonymous account and pumping up a game's reception? I'm not saying it's right, but you can guarantee it happens constantly with every game.

The fact that SunSword wrote a review is at least refreshing in the sense that he's not trying to disguise his identity. Most people are familiar with his username, and anyone can click on his profile to see that he identifies himself as the CEO in his signature.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

When a game is put on either the Hype list or the Released list on this site it always starts at  # 1. I"m not really surprised a game company would use that to their advantage. Although it's still disappointing they'd do that. Then again a lot of marketing is disappointing.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

I find it strange for this specific company, not for all companies in general. Given the amount of pride they place in the openness and honesty of their developers interacting with players, I wouldn't have expected to see something like this.

These recent interactions don't exactly scream open or honest to me. Upon further inspection, there appear to be more user reviews on Metacritic from Heatwave employees than there are from actual players.

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

I find it strange for this specific company, not for all companies in general. Given the amount of pride they place in the openness and honesty of their developers interacting with players, I wouldn't have expected to see something like this.

These recent interactions don't exactly scream open or honest to me. Upon further inspection, there appear to be more user reviews on Metacritic from Heatwave employees than there are from actual players.

Yeah, I didn't catch the metacritic thing until after commenting. That definitely is shady.

Originally posted by Adhesive33

Yeah, I didn't catch the metacritic thing until after commenting. That definitely is shady.

If the employees would identify themselves clearly as having a financial (or authorial) interest in the game, I think it would actually be kind of neat to read their reviews of their own work. It would kind of be like a self-evaluation.

Edit: And not all of the employees gave Gods & Heroes a perfect score on Metacritic. There's at least one 7 and one 8 in there.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

hehe. Sure is, if that's the case.

At least a current 49 out of 100 is about right for this so-called mmorpg.  http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/gods-heroes-rome-rising/critic-reviews

• DrokarDrokar Member Posts: 91

at the end of the day, its a game.  Have fun, or don't.  But this is getting a little tooo serious over a game.  Who cares if the ceo of his own company says his game has potential?  what a waste of internet space

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

Let's face it, any game company that does not try to game the system is an anomaly. Do you really think employees whose livelihoods depends on the success of a title are going to restrain themselves from creating an anonymous account and pumping up a game's reception? I'm not saying it's right, but you can guarantee it happens constantly with every game.

You hit it dead on. It's a totally different story when the title is what is paying you. I would most likely do the exact same in the situation.

I think the OP has blown things over, as it does not say anywhere employee's of companies may not comment on games in the perspective of a player or ultimately another human. I could understand it if he was sending in programmed bots to up ratings and put in comments such as these... but he's just adding his opinion towards it.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by Drokar

at the end of the day, its a game.  Have fun, or don't.  But this is getting a little tooo serious over a game.  Who cares if the ceo of his own company says his game has potential?  what a waste of internet space

I am pretty sure if the CEO of a company said his game had potential, there would be zero issue with it. A CEO in the guise of an unbiased reviewer is another matter entirely. Games are serious business you know, to the tune of billions of dollars.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

CEO, who obviously is a fan of the game, rates his game as good and this is a surprise/bad thing?

Holy drama queens batman!

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Well its nothing bad in your opinion.but to me they have just lost their integrity as Dev.  Anyway they should have fired the CEO who approved this game to be P2P lol.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by Gajari

OP has more to worry about than devs skewing their game ratings. Such as Vitamin D deficiency from lack of sun.

Oh c'mon!  People read ratings on a site like this because they want to see what other gamers who have played the game think.  If it were fact that 75% of the ratings for all the games on this site were from employees of the games' dev team, I don't think any of us would give 2 cents about what ratings each game has let alone take time to read what people say.

IMO, ratings from dev employees are deceitful.  It totally defeats the purpose of the ratings.  If a dev team wants the public to know what they think of their game, I doubt a site like this would stop them from starting a thread discussing their personal oppinions.  

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Kost

CEO, who obviously is a fan of the game, rates his game as good and this is a surprise/bad thing?

Not only that, but everyone here knows he's the CEO! image

His "review" is short, sweet, and to the point. He doesn't call it the next WoW or pull a Peter Molyneux and tell you it's going to worship the ground you walk on. He calls it a small game with potential and gives a nod to his employees. Big deal.

Originally posted by Gajari

OP has more to worry about than devs skewing their game ratings. Such as Vitamin D deficiency from lack of sun.

I appreciate your concern for my personal health. The report of my Rickets was an exaggeration.

I'm not worried so much about ratings being skewed. After all, over time these ratings will be eclipsed by those of actual players.

My larger concern is whether it is appropriate (not merely permissible) for individuals with a financial or creative interest in a game to rate and review that game. I'm especially curious to know if Heatwave has its own policy on this.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Originally posted by Lidane

Originally posted by Kost

Not only that, but everyone here knows he's the CEO! image

His "review" is short, sweet, and to the point. He doesn't call it the next WoW or pull a Peter Molyneux and tell you it's going to worship the ground you walk on. He calls it a small game with potential and gives a nod to his employees. Big deal.

DING DING DING... we have a winnner!!!

He rated it under the acct he is known as the CEO of Heatwave.  This would be totally different if he made some fake acct and did so in a sneaky manner, but come on... he has a number of posts on the forums where he clearly identifies himself... heck that is how the OP even knew who he was...

There are tons of companies/fans that make fake accounts and then do the whole viral marketting 1 post wonder thing.   This guy used his KNOWN acct name to post a small blurb... absolutely no big deal...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by FredelasMy larger concern is whether it is appropriate (not merely permissible) for individuals with a financial or creative interest in a game to rate and review that game. I'm especially curious to know if Heatwave has its own policy on this.

Why would they need a policy on that is beyond my understanding....

You could say that hateful, biased, ignorant, emotional diarrhea written by mentally challenged adolescents that are considered and published as 'reviews', are also made by people who got 'interests' and personal agenda going in there.... Thus I see no issue there.

Just because you work for a company does not shrink your whole existence into employee/CEO in all your life matters, it does not make you less of a private individual either.

It is just a job...

My larger concern is whether it is appropriate (not merely permissible) for individuals with a financial or creative interest in a game to rate and review that game. I'm especially curious to know if Heatwave has its own policy on this.

Because the CEO here is the first person to ever leave a positive note about his own game? Considering the fact that everyone here knows he's the CEO at Heatwave, I'm not seeing the issue.

Exactly what in that "review" is so bad? It's one sentence, and it's complimentary of his employees at Heatwave and says that G&H has potential. How does that change anything?

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by Lidane

Because the CEO here is the first person to ever leave a positive note about his own game? Considering the fact that everyone here knows he's the CEO at Heatwave, I'm not seeing the issue.

Exactly what in that "review" is so bad? It's one sentence, and it's complimentary of his employees at Heatwave and says that G&H has potential. How does that change anything?

So in other words, his review had almost nothing to do with the game at all. I don't know this is a "big" deal, but it's certainly worth a discussion. It would have been easy for him to say, to the unwary, as disclaimer that he has a large financial interest in the game by just state he was an employee. He wouldn't even have to say he was a CEO, just establish the link.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

Originally posted by Nesrie

So in other words, his review had almost nothing to do with the game at all. I don't know this is a "big" deal, but it's certainly worth a discussion. It would have been easy for him to say, to the unwary, as disclaimer that he has a large financial interest in the game by just state he was an employee. He wouldn't even have to say he was a CEO, just establish the link.

You're making WAY too big of a deal about this. The guy posted one sentence calling his own game a small game that has potential. And it's easy to find out that he's the CEO of the company, considering he clearly and openly identifies himself as such on these boards.

If he'd posted a long review where he glossed over bugs or flaws in the game, or if he blatantly lied about the state it's in, then yeah. I could see a problem. But one sentence calling it a small game with potential and giving a nod to his employees? Really?

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

He's the CEO, he has an opinion on the game, maybe not the most objective opinion out there, but he's entitled to it like everybody else. He's  not trying to hide his identity either, what problem could you possibly have with this?

As to the game going from number 1 to 42 in two weeks, it's simple enough, those things happen. Some people will just vote other games down for the sake of their game going back up relatively speaking. I've seen stranger things happen. When you reach the top spot you draw attention to yourself, some good, some bad. I don't have a problem with his behavior. When it becomes an orchestrated invasion on the other hand it becomes a problem. Then again, even GM's, developers and publishers have a right to speak up, don't they? They may lie some, but then again, a lot of people lie on sites like these for various reasons.

A CEO rating "his" game is not something I get upset about.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...