Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: State of the Game Producer's Letter

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Scott Hartsman released his State of the Game Producer's Letter today on the Official Website Forums for Rift, Trion's MMORPG. See the plethora of new content littered throughout Scott's address and be sure to stay tuned for our Managing Editor, Bill Murphy's take on the whole situation.

Hey, everyone. Following the release of 1.3 last month, we realized that we've spent so much time working on the game that we haven't taken the time to do a big, public update with some of the things that are coming up for RIFT.

After looking at all of the things currently happening in the studio, the piece you're about to read took on a life of its own. Why did that happen?

Read the whole letter here at MMORPG.com.

Or head over to the Official Rift Forums.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

To little to late .. why all of a sudden we get Xserver LFG, solo dungeons, new rift types , guild bank . these and many more things should have been in the game from the start , they have been in development of Rift for years suddenly in a few months they pretend there adding new features they just produced "Crap" all these new dungeons & features have been made a long time ago they just only give you a little at a time

But none of it will make me return to Rift , Fool me once shame on me .. I aint gonna get fooled twice ..

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I just love the pace that they have been updating the game. Keep up the good work! Trion!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Link to the official forums = broken.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Lukain

To little to late .. why all of a sudden we get Xserver LFG, solo dungeons, new rift types , guild bank . these and many more things should have been in the game from the start , they have been in development of Rift for years suddenly in a few months they pretend there adding new features they just produced "Crap" all these new dungeons & features have been made a long time ago they just only give you a little at a time

But none of it will make me return to Rift , Fool me once shame on me .. I aint gonna get fooled twice ..

Actually, none of those things had to be in the game at launch. They're called "improvements" for a reason. It's okay if you don't return, but at least it sounds like Trion has their future planned and they have a clear course set, which is important. I wish them the best of luck.

• NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

warhammer had "improvements" they talked about all the time now look at it. Sadly rift pvp sucks end of story.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

And exactly how fast did you expect these things to be implimented ???? The games only been out 4 months and is widely acknowlaged to be one of the most polished releases in years . Most people would be applauding the speed at which they are adding content . It does'nt magically appear out of thin air you know . I dont know what games you've played in the past but I was there at the begining of World of Warcraft and I can tell you there was no Guild Banks for several years after its release . The cross server looking for a group tool only came in a couple of years ago there ( and virtually destroyed world pvp overnight ) .No mmo ever is released with all the features and content its going to get in its lifespan . I would give up this genre totally if I were you because your never going to be happy with any new game thats released ever .

I wish Trion all the best I just wish it had been a little less linear and free roaming and @ Noobkilar The PvP is pretty standard for an MMO but easily equals WoW or War in terms of quality . Still I guess its all just down to what you enjoy personally but I would'nt come on here and say something "sucks" without explanation . Mind you I've never been one for slang either so I doubt I would use the word sucks unless it was in its proper context .

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Trion sets new Standards for MMOs in terms of releasing a complete game, constant updates and additional content. It is not a game for everybody but Hartsmann et all do have a plan and they follow it. I am impressed.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Knytta

Trion sets new Standards for MMOs in terms of releasing a complete game, constant updates and additional content. It is not a game for everybody but Hartsmann et all do have a plan and they follow it. I am impressed.

Well, Wow was pretty close to that at launch as well with more content, and Guildwars was at least as good (yeah, yeah, CORPG). LOTRO launched pretty fine as well.

So I am not sure that I would call it a new standard but it is one of the few games that launched in an "A" state in the genre where "B" is still considered great and most games launch a "C" or less.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Ur kidding right? Lol too little too late? They launched a very polished and fully featured game. They've had numerous major updates and countless smaller updates. It's only been out for a few months and you say too little too late? What the heck? There's something called updates/patches/expansions. You make new content for players and expand your game, if developers did what you're saying no game would ever get released.

I'm looking forward to all of this, the game is doing wonderfully and I'm ready to play what they've got in store for the future. I'm specifically excited for the Chronicles system!

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Knytta

Well, Wow was pretty close to that at launch as well with more content, and Guildwars was at least as good (yeah, yeah, CORPG). LOTRO launched pretty fine as well.

So I am not sure that I would call it a new standard but it is one of the few games that launched in an "A" state in the genre where "B" is still considered great and most games launch a "C" or less.

I agree with Knytta actually, they've really raised the bar from anything WoW or any other game has ever done in terms of how they handle their game. They have pumped out very high quality updates very very quickly with no sign of slowing down. World of Warcraft never did that, it was always every few months there'd be an update and as time went on it became more and more sporattic and stagnant. Trion has impressed me over, and over again with the quality and size of their content updates, and the effeciency of their work. As well as their enthusiasm for their game and playerbase. I'll be the first to admit I was very "eh" on this game for the longest time, it wasn't until I played the beta where I was actually impressed with them, and launch has only further exceeded my expectations. Most of my guildies and friends who I have game hopped with would agree.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Problem with Rift is it's endgame.

There is nothing to do in Rift except the chase the carrot on the stick by getting better gear, be it by pve or pvp.

I personally did every quest in Rift at launch before my 30days was up, had most of my rep in a very good place and was fully geared in tier 1 gear with 4 pieces of tier 2.

I ran all the heroics multiple times and raided 4 times.

I quit Rift because there was no endgame beside the treadmill of chasing gear.... there just was nothing else to do.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Valentina

Ur kidding right? Lol too little too late? They launched a very polished and fully featured game. They've had numerous major updates and countless smaller updates. It's only been out for a few months and you say too little too late? What the heck? There's something called updates/patches/expansions. You make new content for players and expand your game, if developers did what you're saying no game would ever get released

I'm looking forward to all of this, the game is doing wonderfully and I'm ready to play what they've got in store for the future. I'm specifically excited for the Chronicles system!

"Too little," maybe as in, nothing game-changing.  People who quit probably did so for bigger reasons than lack of a guild bank or a cross-server lfg tool.  And certainly not for lack of raid instances.

"Too late," for me, means little things like that might have helped hold onto me as a customer if they'd been in before I quit, even though they're definitely not going to be bringing me back.

Course, just speaking for myself here, not Lukang, but "too little, too late" sums up my feelings as well.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• VulskoVulsko Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

There is nothing to do in Rift except the chase the carrot on the stick by getting better gear, be it by pve or pvp.

I personally did every quest in Rift at launch before my 30days was up, had most of my rep in a very good place and was fully geared in tier 1 gear with 4 pieces of tier 2.

I ran all the heroics multiple times and raided 4 times.

I quit Rift because there was no endgame beside the treadmill of chasing gear.... there just was nothing else to do.

This, a million times, THIS!

I have two level 50s, as much as I'd like to love the game and keep playing with friends, I just can't. It's so boring, they think the same. There's just no "goal" at level 50 besides the gear, but there's always one person one step ahead of you, so theres no point really.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well I read that and digested it.  Here is what it really said without the huge wall of text.

(1) Were going to make this game all about the raiding. We know this is going to make those who hate to raid leave.

(2) For those who hate to raid dungeons were going to do a lot of stuff to pvp,as that is your end game.

(3) There might be some crafting updates.

(4) We know you would love your friends to come play. Were doing some stuff to the starting areas and other areas to help with quest progression so they can get to level cap so they can raid and pvp.

Now that I said all this, kind of sounds like the end game has become you either raid dungeons or raid pvp.  Kind of sounds like the casual players going to be left on the roadside dead.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

And still they can't touch Dark Age of Camelot even though its engine is pathetically old. 

Instanced pvp needs to die, along with elementary pvp mechanics and same same class combinations in the Oh So Limited and Overdone Two Faction Model.  Is it that hard for people to build fortresses and castle walls with huge battlefields? Apparently Warhammer couldn't figure it out either - and they used to even have some of the staff that helped build the only 3 realm 44 unique class system that is Dark Age...

Will anyone ever get it right? Doubt it.

/my 2 cents

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Put housing in this game and I might think about coming back.  Don't get me wrong I'm impressed with how fast they're releasing things but it's all more of the same... Housing's in a lot of games but not all it's a feature too often overlooked.  I can't help but think LOTRO or EQII have a bit of an edge over this game as far as making you beleave it's a world not a forum to get gear and we're not even talking SWTOR or GW2 here...

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I have to agree with neverlift, level 50 just kills the game for me- it brings nothing that other games don't do better (why leave one endgame that acts as a dungeon lobby for another?). The most fun I have had in the game is leveling alts almost entirely via warfronts and invasions but that just isn't enough to keep me subscribing. I have no doubt Rift will do fine, but I think there will be a large dropoff in subs in October when the first 6mo sub cycle ends. If SWTOR and GW2 both do poorly then they might have a chance at recouping players.

•  

Well, for my playstyle, Rift beats any MMO currently out. Playing weekends and an occasional evening there is oodles to do. I love tanking during the large-scale events (beats solo quest grinding hands down) and I enjoy crafting and trying to make a bit of plat. These two activities alone keep me occupied and then there is the dungeons and expert dungeons which I've barely scratched.

With the letter I can see myself staying with Rift even with GW2 coming out. For whatever reason GW didn't take and I tried it twice to make sure. I could react to GW2 in the same way. SWTOR will be back to solo quest grinding kill 10 space rats - blech no thanks.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

That is part of the problem, attempting to clone the WoW end-game, the other is derivative gameplay on your journey to it. Really just  a xp race and nothing more.  Of course the game got an unfathomably high score here, and Trion do advertise here heavily too.

I think when SW;TOR and GW2 hit Rift will be in real trouble...expecting them to embrace free-to-play micrtansactions model and then develop an orignal next gen mmorpg. So while I am not totally against Trion, I think Rift won't be on the scene all that long.