Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game nosedives after Tortage

2»

Comments

• OkkinOkkin Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Nirvy

My GOD does this quality drop out of tortage, from the excellence of that first 20 levels, to kill xx bears, and cats, oof and kill the boss bear. Quests become very generic, no story compared to Tortage.

So nothing at all has changed since release?

Well, we didn't see that coming did we *rolls eyes*

They have added DirectX 10 now, right?

I'm sure The Secret World will be better *cough*

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Well was REALLY enjoying the game, found a few F2P friends, quested, PvP'ed and loved the voice acted quests. There were very few kill this quests, or take this here, the quests were interesting, had a lot of lore and background.

My GOD does this quality drop out of tortage, from the excellence of that first 20 levels, to kill xx bears, and cats, oof and kill the boss bear. Quests become very generic, no story compared to Tortage.

I was on the verge of Subbing, but now im stuck. Does the Tortage level of quests,polish and story come back, or was that just there to lure people in? Im currently so disapointed, can anyone tell me if the higher end stuff which i assume has more content and padding is as good as tortage?

Thanks.

While theres very little voice acting, the quests in Khitai (Gateway to Khitai for levels 20-40 and the level 80 zones) are fantastic and have good lore and background. Ymirs Pass which is 55-65 also has really good quest lines (another new zone since launch), but I agree that the rest of the world is fairly bland when it comes to questing. There are two new solo dungeons which are very fun that scale from 40-80 which should help levelling.

My recommendation would be to go straight to Gateway to Khitai once you leave Tortage. The old world 20-40 areas pale in comparison.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

As long as you have Khitai, there won't be any gaps.

Also, many people struggle their way to 60 without doing Ymir's pass for some reason. That's questing content from 55-61 ish and some people are surprised it exists when they hit 80. Looking at the level ranges on the WORLD MAP helps, you know. Makes it easy to know where to go next.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

AoC was and is one of the most boring mmo out there. After Tortage the game becomes an epic "kill XX" quest grind with no redeeming story. Crafting is a joke, i would not even call it that. PvP is standard reputationl grind, broken (as in rep grind cheats) instanced combat and crashing "Epic battles".

Tortage was the bait and switch they used on everyone in open beta. They only let us play Tortage so we did not see the crappy rest of the game.

FC has lost all credibility with me and even F2P this game is a giant waste of time. I would not play the game if they payed me, thats how bad it is.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Mercantor

As long as you have Khitai, there won't be any gaps.

Also, many people struggle their way to 60 without doing Ymir's pass for some reason. That's questing content from 55-61 ish and some people are surprised it exists when they hit 80. Looking at the level ranges on the WORLD MAP helps, you know. Makes it easy to know where to go next.

Agreed. But you can actually level up a single character without Khitai as well, as long as you kill a few mobs while you do your quests as well. 

The problem start if you level up more than a singel character, after 40 there is no way you wont repeat the same quests or grind villas until you are bored like h*ll.

For a free game it is nice but AoC still need a new starting zone and a few more from 40-75. AoC is one of the games that added least content since release. In 3 years have they added 2 zones in vanilla and 4 more in the expansion. Compare that to how much games like Everquest 2 or LOTRO added in the same time.

Still, as a F2P game AoC is nice as long as you aren't a altaholic.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

They havent spent much time on the mid-level content no, essentially it does the job and you can skip some grindy levels with offline levels.

But the end game content is pretty solid. I can honestly say that there is far more end game content in AoC than there has ever been on EQ2 or WoW in both the time required to complete and quantity of encounters. Also the godslayer modes provide an actual challenge, and its been a while since I have seen that in a MMO. Khitai dungeons are a far stretch from a typical tank and spank, so if you are after something different and challenging you should persevere with the grind to 80 and try the end game.

Khitai definitely polished the end game very well. It just needs more T4 raids which are on their way, although most casual raiders are still struggling with completing T3.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I enjoyed Kitai. You should go there as soon as possible.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

I agree with a lot of people in here, I prefer the game out of Tortage!

Just bear with it.. it became really fun for me 30 onwards.

That being said, I've stopped playing untli the Blood and Glory servers go up. :)

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I hated Tortage.  I would have loved it if it was just the night time portion, but the day time quests were all pretty terrible.   It was just too much packed in to too tiny of an area.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Check out this quest:

"Words only begin my adventure to becoming one of the Black Dragons, however, Conan wishes that I prove it.

Atzel's bandits threaten King Conan from the north, and that is where I shall begin my work, proving my worth to King Conan. These men carry insignia proudly marking them as one of Atzel's men. Several fistfuls of these insignias should prove my strength to King Conan, and my loyalty.

There will be much blood spilled in the snow."

Does that sound awesome or what?  This game is totally brutal, and it is all rendered on wide screen, high resolution, and technicolor! That Atzel country is gorgeous too, with a fortress and outlying camps. This game reminds me of Diablo 2 in some ways. Core gameplay is  similar. If you were a fan of Diablo 2, Age of Conan is like D2 on 'roids. Both games are combat driven, both  have major recourses allotted to  quality art  and music, both have mysterious and engaging worlds to roam, both could be described as a low fantasy rpg; there may be some far out stuff in the games you will encounter, but you play as a human.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• NirvyNirvy Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by LuckyDucky

Check out this quest:

"Words only begin my adventure to becoming one of the Black Dragons, however, Conan wishes that I prove it.

Atzel's bandits threaten King Conan from the north, and that is where I shall begin my work, proving my worth to King Conan. These men carry insignia proudly marking them as one of Atzel's men. Several fistfuls of these insignias should prove my strength to King Conan, and my loyalty.

There will be much blood spilled in the snow."

Does that sound awesome or what?  This game is totally brutal, and it is all rendered on wide screen, high resolution, and technicolor! That Atzel country is gorgeous too, with a fortress and outlying camps. This game reminds me of Diablo 2 in some ways. Core gameplay is  similar. If you were a fan of Diablo 2, Age of Conan is like D2 on 'roids. Both games are combat driven, both  have major recourses allotted to  quality art  and music, both have mysterious and engaging worlds to roam, both could be described as a low fantasy rpg; there may be some far out stuff in the games you will encounter, but you play as a human

So, Goto X, Kill X Aztel's, Collect xx Aztel ears. Basically?

PS this game is nothing like Diablo, nothing at all!!!

Enjoying the game more, at level 30 now, however Tortage is AoC's problem. It was so much better done that the post tortage content. Im still waiting and hoping the quality picks up. I like the combat, its very visceral, however im disapointed that a Conan game has virtually no PvP in it, even on my PvP server, its all PvE so far. No one seem to queue for PvP at all, and i rarely see another person in the world to kill, the odd F2P but thats it.

Lastly, what is the endgame like? Im hoping for some kind of PvP open world maps etc?

Hopefully its not more 3-5 hour raid slogs like every other game - I soooo cannot be bothered to raid anymore, it takes too much time.

i would much prefer lots of short 5 man tough dungeons, and lots of open world PvP maps at endgame. Although it seems most prefer the 4 hour raids, these days over PvP or smaller instances that dont take up an entire evening.

Thanks

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Well was REALLY enjoying the game, found a few F2P friends, quested, PvP'ed and loved the voice acted quests. There were very few kill this quests, or take this here, the quests were interesting, had a lot of lore and background.

I was on the verge of Subbing, but now im stuck. Does the Tortage level of quests,polish and story come back, or was that just there to lure people in? Im currently so disapointed, can anyone tell me if the higher end stuff which i assume has more content and padding is as good as tortage?

Thanks.

Welcome to what everyone was feeling/saying at launch a couple years back.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

bullshit. it gets better and better - have you been to gateway? Best part is, the annoying npc stop talking. i hate tortage, its fun only on pvp servers. btw - new server RAGE opens tomorrow :D

• SantachaosSantachaos Member Posts: 3

Instead of making the expansion Funcom should have aded voice overs for the rest of the quests from 20-80, it would be what...1-2gb patch? that way the questing after Tortage wouldnt be so depresing as it is. I downloaded the game myself 3 days ago i wanted to see The Gateway to Khitai map. I found it even more anoying then the rest of the 20-40 maps mostly because of  how quests bring u back to kill same mobs over and over again or look for graves to dig in an area filled with elite mobs , just so that after that u get quest forthe same graves to find them again and type ./kneel when u are standing above them (witch didnt work first time i typed so i wondered how to type /kneel on Norwegian,remembering the Sacred-wasser bug ) etc etc... witch is obviosly a great waste of time that goes in to favor of p2p model. until Funcom admits its own mistakes Tortage and endgame raids (especialy T2) wil remain the only good thing in AoC...as for the rest  of the content : just close ur eyes and push trough it and hopfuly u will make it to the endgame in one and a half week ...mostly because AoC raids are probaly the best composed raids in and mmorpg world so far.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

"PS this game is nothing like Diablo, nothing at all!!!"

Okay fine. I gave several examples how the two games compare. In addition to those already mentioned; both games allow group questing and group dungeon running. That must bring my examples up to  5 or 6 ways, valid ways, in which  the  two games are similar.

How many ways are the games dissimilar? It is not enough enough to say, " well they are totally different " when I offered specific examples that show clear parallels.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Sure this game had a bad strart but if you play from 80 and then hit up khitai and join some factions and are still not happy with a game that imo has the best grafix, best combat, and least grindy feel, then mabey you should be looking for a new game instead of cwyin here wike a wittle baby with a load in your dypers. Come to the new hardcore pvp server so I can smite you with my DT of destruction. 

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard