Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: How to Write a Forum Post

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Sure, this was sorta funny, but wouldn't it have been neat to actually have a well thought out post from a professional writer regarding what they would expect (personally) from something to be considered a top notch post in this particular forum? I mean, that sounds kinda boring, but maybe some of it would be absorbed subconsciously.

Yeah! I can agree with you here. I just want to throw in my opinion though. I love this site and I love the community which I now like to feel I am a part of. The only one thing that has always made me step back from it is that sometimes I feel they take themselves a little to seriously.(Not including MikeB) Articles like this blow that theory out the water. I put it to you that this is a very refreshing change. You have to able to laugh at yourselves, if not? What's the point?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StormwatchStormwatch Member Posts: 86

I like to share some tips for future Community Managers:

First off, make sure that developers and players never communicate directly. If developers annoy you with stuff they want communicated, throw it away and rewrite it (only if you absolutely must communicate, better get rid of them). Consider to turn it into a weekly series and plan ahead so that two or three bits of information will last out for a couple of months. Players love trivia and forum games better anyway, so make sure that the dev tracker and similar tools are always filled to the brim with such things. However, not having a dev tracker is preferrable as players love to discover news, for example that their class has been changed.

It is very important that any information you have up your sleeve is prepared in at least eight different ways. The new skill description you have; you could turn the information into an interview, video, essay, blog entry, screeshot, conference speech, dev diary, (fake) forum post and a news bit all at once and release it over the course of a year. Maybe just post the skill icons as a monthy wednesday feature. Players will discuss them for a long time and tell all their friends about it (and make YouTube videos). That way you can keep the players entertained with only giving away the icons of 3 skills. Repeat the same process with the skill description and other things. You could also make a dev chat event and ask the intern to submit questions about the skills you have presented earlier the week. Players will be happy that they have not missed out information of their favorite game. If you also place the dev chat so that it is in the middle of the night (say 3 a.m.) for half of the player base, the information you provide will appear even more valuable. If you have limited stuff to give away, it also best to announce it on such occasions.

People play MMORPG fantasy and sci-fi games to escape reality so you generally don't want to communicate on issues that need improvement or fixing. If you encounter problem-posts in the forum, just delete them without any notification to help players with their immersion. People who offer critique should be banned (make sure you also ban their account). Most of the time they will purchase another one and play your game longer. This is also a good way to remove items and gold from the in-game economy, something developers usually screw up.

Even if you feel tempted, do not collect feedback from the players in the forums. Only a vocal minority is posting and they do not represent the player base at all. Since they are the minority, you want to communicate the opposite of what you are observing to describe what the majority actually wants. Make sure that your data remains accurate. You only want to pop into threads that are written as Isabelle is suggesting. It is also good if you participate in random and off-topic forum posts. Players soon think you are their buddy and it is a good method to keep game information a little bit more hidden (more mystery is good).

Consider to include a few veterans into player counsel or correspondent programs. If you follow the other rules, the players will feel special and involved and stick around forever. If some player demands match with what the developers are doing anyway, make sure you communicate that the developers meet player wishes. This is considered a win-win situation and should be the goal at all times. If players never suggest the right things, consider to hire some interns that help the playerbase to come up with things that are best for them (i.e. on the internal to-do list). If the intern posts the suggestion, immediately  jump in and write that this is a great idea! This will signalize to anyone else that you are truly listen to player feedback.

If your game has different classes and/or factions make sure you pick only one each at the beginning of your career and only reply to threads and posts relevant for that class or faction. This will increase tension and drama in the forums and we all know this is good to foster community and the meta-game. You may also ask the developers and the rest of the team which class or faction they like best. Otherwise, stick to the rules as listed above concering information policy. It is better to have 8 out of 10 questions in interviews already covered elsewhere. Should you lack the material, you can always ask how someone came to work this morning.

As you see, the job of a Community Manger is great fun and the players will love you for what you are doing even if you bitch about them in the office.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Stormwatch

I like to share some tips for future Community Managers:

First off, make sure that developers and players never communicate directly. If developers annoy you with stuff they want communicated, throw it away and rewrite it (only if you absolutely must communicate, better get rid of them). Consider to turn it into a weekly series and plan ahead so that two or three bits of information will last out for a couple of months. Players love trivia and forum games better anyway, so make sure that the dev tracker and similar tools are always filled to the brim with such things. However, not having a dev tracker is preferrable as players love to discover news, for example that their class has been changed.

It is very important that any information you have up your sleeve is prepared in at least eight different ways. The new skill description you have; you could turn the information into an interview, video, essay, blog entry, screeshot, conference speech, dev diary, (fake) forum post and a news bit all at once and release it over the course of a year. Maybe just post the skill icons as a monthy wednesday feature. Players will discuss them for a long time and tell all their friends about it (and make YouTube videos). That way you can keep the players entertained with only giving away the icons of 3 skills. Repeat the same process with the skill description and other things. You could also make a dev chat event and ask the intern to submit questions about the skills you have presented earlier the week. Players will be happy that they have not missed out information of their favorite game. If you also place the dev chat so that it is in the middle of the night (say 3 a.m.) for half of the player base, the information you provide will appear even more valuable. If you have limited stuff to give away, it also best to announce it on such occasions.

People play MMORPG fantasy and sci-fi games to escape reality so you generally don't want to communicate on issues that need improvement or fixing. If you encounter problem-posts in the forum, just delete them without any notification to help players with their immersion. People who offer critique should be banned (make sure you also ban their account). Most of the time they will purchase another one and play your game longer. This is also a good way to remove items and gold from the in-game economy, something developers usually screw up.

Even if you feel tempted, do not collect feedback from the players in the forums. Only a vocal minority is posting and they do not represent the player base at all. Since they are the minority, you want to communicate the opposite of what you are observing to describe what the majority actually wants. Make sure that your data remains accurate. You only want to pop into threads that are written as Isabelle is suggesting. It is also good if you participate in random and off-topic forum posts. Players soon think you are their buddy and it is a good method to keep game information a little bit more hidden (more mystery is good).

Consider to include a few veterans into player counsel or correspondent programs. If you follow the other rules, the players will feel special and involved and stick around forever. If some player demands match with what the developers are doing anyway, make sure you communicate that the developers meet player wishes. This is considered a win-win situation and should be the goal at all times. If players never suggest the right things, consider to hire some interns that help the playerbase to come up with things that are best for them (i.e. on the internal to-do list). If the intern posts the suggestion, immediately  jump in and write that this is a great idea! This will signalize to anyone else that you are truly listen to player feedback.

If your game has different classes and/or factions make sure you pick only one each at the beginning of your career and only reply to threads and posts relevant for that class or faction. This will increase tension and drama in the forums and we all know this is good to foster community and the meta-game. You may also ask the developers and the rest of the team which class or faction they like best. Otherwise, stick to the rules as listed above concering information policy. It is better to have 8 out of 10 questions in interviews already covered elsewhere. Should you lack the material, you can always ask how someone came to work this morning.

As you see, the job of a Community Manger is great fun and the players will love you for what you are doing even if you bitch about them in the office.

All that effort and you go and forget to end it with </sarcasm>.  That or you are a community manager for Blizzard.  Hmm...

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

TLDR

... wait, what?

You stay sassy!

• madnessman13madnessman13 Member UncommonPosts: 91

I LIKE IT!!! thanks for the tips

madnessman

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

There was one thing that was forgotten.

The poster must have a signature at least 2 times the size of the body of their post. That or it needs to be a movie. Better if it's both.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

The OP is obviously a shill for SOE, and if you don't agree with me, then you obviously aren't a real gamer like me ive played a couple thousand MMOs over the last 80 years since the first MMO WoW came out and am a professional gamer so i no wut I'm talking about If the OP isn't banned from this site for being a shill for SOE i'm canceling my account and everyone is going to quit

That was actually difficult to type without proper grammar.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Liked the OP.

+1 post count

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Brilliant! Thanks for the early lunchtime laugh, Isabelle.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

That was some funny stuff.  And I not just talking about the op, but some of the replies were just priceless.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Originally posted by Kyleran

OP forgot the number one method of increasing forum counts, the one line post.  image

More important, agreeing to pointless one-liners with a one-liner... Ding...

• wahala99wahala99 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Thanks again.   As usual I learned a new word from your article (as well as some cool tips for posting on forums)

Thanks,

Your loyal sycophant.

If Ya Ain't Dyin, Ya Ain't Tryin

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

HI I LOSE DRAGON GEM WHEN SERVER CRASH AND NOW MY CHARACTUR RUINED I BOYCOTTY U

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

What about forum usernames? Surely this is the best way to proclaim your expertise.

SuperMMOFanatic

Expert_MMORPGer

( Sorry if I used anyone's real nick. image )

------- END TRANSMISSION

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I found this article very helpful.  All this time I had been thinking that these people with their neverending screaming and crying were all terrible forum posters and borderline retarded.  How wrong I was!!!  As it turns out they were doing it right this whole time and I have been doing it wrong!  Oh, my face is red!!!

Thank you very much for the enlightenment.  Um, I mean YU SUK I QUIT THIS FORUM GETZ PAID FOR REVIEWZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Yes, this handy guide should have been handed to you all when your internet service provider first hooked you up.

If you did not receive it then you'll have to give your ISP a call asap, you may need to ask to speak to a higher up because like in every case tech-support will not be of any use.

Scold them for not giving you this, and blame them all the improper useages of their service you've been paying for, possibly even threaten a lawsuit over the damages it has caused to your mental well-being if they refuse to acknowlege such a thing exists or just will not give you what was rightfully yours to begin with.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Don't forget if someone posts anything negative, you can disregard any arguments made.

Create a reply straight away, telling them they are just haters or trolls, and then they will surely see their error, and only post positive things in the future.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Nice article and an excellent read.  It fully explains my headache from reading forums.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Great read, very funny, but I cant help notice you forgot about the excessive use of unintelligible acronyms that you probably just made up.. so aptly demonstrated by MMORPG.com's own William Murphy here

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

yr websight sux! whr is gaem 2 play?!?"?!?"?!"!!"!!!1111

[loved the column - having to put a disclaimer at the end really crowned it]

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by stragen001

Great read, very funny, but I cant help notice you forgot about the excessive use of unintelligible acronyms that you probably just made up.. so aptly demonstrated by MMORPG.com's own William Murphy here

Haha yeah.

"WTF IS MOBA BILL?!" Was kind of what went through my mind too.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by stragen001

Acronym soup. Urgh.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

The part about how you must threaten that you and your ten friends will quit needs an addendum, if threatening to quit fails you should threaten to sue instead.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Best. Post. Evar.

Remember Old School Ultima Online