Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you MMORPG.com players actually like ANY dev studio?

Comments

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I hate some developers. I just don't play their game, but I don't hate them.

As a MMORPG developer, and overall developer of the best RTS, Action-RPG/Hack'n'slash franchises, Blizzard is my top favorite developer. They probably have the best trackrecord of developing top-notch quality products.

Something I also value a lot with MMORPG developers are their attempts of breaking out, making something a little bit different and trying to take the market in a new direction. In my opinion(keyword), such companies are ArenaNet(GW2), Bluehole Studios/En Masse(TERA), XLGames(ArcheAge). Even though neither of those games have come out, I respect what they are trying to do with their games and their visions they have. No matter if any of those games actually succeed or not, their goals were mostly just and fair. (And that's what I'm judging on right now)

Maybe Bioware with SWTOR as well, but that title doesn't interest me that much, but I'm not sure. (Hence, the maybe)

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by Tyrxz

Who doesn't love ANet? By far my favourite!

I don't.  When after being away from Guild Wars for a few months, I return and find my account deleted.  No amount of correspondence would get my account and characters back.

Support is handled by NCSoft. Not by ArenaNet. Until recently.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Alot

I don't.  When after being away from Guild Wars for a few months, I return and find my account deleted.  No amount of correspondence would get my account and characters back.

It's still Guild Wars, and it still had ANet's name to it, and I still haven't gotten my account and toons back yet.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I dislike Funcom  (due to my experiences with Anarchy Online and Age of Conan launches)

but otherwise like em all -- even SOE

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

I like them but not favorite by any shot. 

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

Originally posted by Getalife

Don't know if I like you ^.-

scribble scribble scribble

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

For the big ones, the one i like the most is NCsoft, they screwed with L2, but that's it really, they at least always made good pvp games. SOE i'm neutral, they made themepark, i don't like themepark at all, but at least they made something bu their own, SWG? never played it, so i'm neutral, they made a huge mistake who hasn't? Ea, i really dislike them, stay away from Ea when it come to mmos at least, for me they are the worst company you better never touch, or have them touch you, they use mmo like tissues, buy the idea and the small companies behind, finance and trash away as they see fit. Soe at least make the games they are fucking away, its not like EA that buy the companies behind those games.

I respect Aventurine, their game wasn't the bomb i expected for sure, but at least they tryed, and their game is still more interesting than most big name. They also infused some life with a new design, you see some want to have back ship battles, fps like combat and other similar idea they were after, the wolfy GW2 race...

CCP? what? don't know them you? *runs away*

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by Getalife

I like them but it is inspite of the pre launch LIES they told about Guild wars one (Oh no, some one said something bad on the internet)

I also like Bioware, Valve, and CD Projekt red for different reasons.

Bioware for Quality, CD Projekt red for their humility and awesomeness and valve because Valve loves you and wants you to know it.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by Kothoses

I like them but it is inspite of the pre launch LIES they told about Guild wars one (Oh no, some one said something bad on the internet)

What did they lie about in GW1? As far as I am concerned, I pre-ordered the game on the basis of the open beta weekends. I had played the game before I bought it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Alot

Same shit ahppend to me, but I got mine back. By talking to NCsoft that is ;)

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

We are all geeks and nerds. by our nature we admire many of these dev studios best and brightest. I think your talking about publishers and the game companys, now that question would have gotten you a more interesting reply.

I think your talking about corporate not the devs who are hired grunts who follow orders and realy have no say in the direction an MMO takes.

If you blame the devs that's like killing the messenger really.

O Btw I posted drunk on here at some point lastnight very sorry  :P

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Creslin321

MMORPG members like studios that haven't released an MMORPG yet :).  Or they like studios that released an MMORPG in the distant past.

Case and point, Bioware and Arena Net are currently two of the favorite studios on here I would think.

Wrong example.

Bioware nor Anet have ever made a MMORPG.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Creslin321

MMORPG members like studios that haven't released an MMORPG yet :).  Or they like studios that released an MMORPG in the distant past.

Case and point, Bioware and Arena Net are currently two of the favorite studios on here I would think.

Wrong example.

Bioware nor Anet have ever made a MMORPG.

To be fair, they will fit under that category in not too much time :)

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Havn't read the whole thread but for me I stear clear of the item shop f2p devs purely because they're in it for the wrong reasons. I like the thought that my devs are there for the passion of making a great game, I just don't feel item shop games promote that type of development.

Other than that I can honestly say don't have anything against any of the dev houses.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

No.  I consider developers to be unimagineative and lacking vision.

• EerazerEerazer Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by nhavas

Reading these forums, and having to wade through the lakes of venom spewed forth by it's posters, I have to wonder if you guys really like any MMO developer?

Nope. We are MMORPG players, we hate everyone, especially those companies foolish enough to continue to make games for us to run around in and hate. Without them we'd actually have to find a new hobby, like stamp collecting.

What do you expect from these people that they aren't delivering? How far do you -really- expect a 10-50$ investment to get you?

Fun. Sadly as MMORPG players the portion of our brain that we use to sense when we are having fun has atrophied to the point where we can't seem to be able to discern between being given a fantastic new virtual world to explore, from having our scanties filled with angry and venomous spiders.

hahaha nice post :)

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

We are all geeks and nerds. by our nature we admire many of these dev studios best and brightest. I think your talking about publishers and the game companys, now that question would have gotten you a more interesting reply.

I think your talking about corporate not the devs who are hired grunts who follow orders and realy have no say in the direction an MMO takes.

If you blame the devs that's like killing the messenger really.

O Btw I posted drunk on here at some point lastnight very sorry  :P

hehe ive done the same, it usually gets you into trouble with yourself the next day, lol *omg what did i write*

Originally posted by Nerf09

well that's simply not true is it? they actually are some of the most creative people around. how could you possibly disagree? they have to be, to create these games out of nothing. where does the inspiration come from? ideas of course.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Reading these forums, and having to wade through the lakes of venom spewed forth by it's posters, I have to wonder if you guys really like any MMO developer?

What do you expect from these people that they aren't delivering? How far do you -really- expect a 10-50$ investment to get you?

Depends on if you're a cynic, an idealist, or a realist:

• Cynic: every single company is hated by someone on MMORPG.com

• Idealist: every single company is loved by someone.

• Realist: Virtually nobody hates *all* companies; each individual likes and dislikes their own unique mix (with obvious trends of more people liking the more popular companies.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by Eerazer

well that's simply not true is it? they actually are some of the most creative people around. HAH!  how could you possibly disagree?  Easilly.  they have to be, to create these games out of nothing. HAH!  where does the inspiration come from? ideas of course.  HAH!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I love SoE.

I like to be controversial.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The funny thing is, that bcs of the long time the games run its harder for a mmo developer to stay in above average relation to players.

Blizzard was once a King of Games and since WoW came out and they made a very few other games they have moved into the crowd of average developers i dont care about.
    There is no mmo developer i like above average.

The developers making non mmos have still a few i like above average, like Bioware, CDP RED, Rockstargames...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Well there you have it judging from all these responses people definately like some MMO developers. Unfortunately, these same people get more enjoyment out of watching the city burn rather than helping to build it if you get what I mean.

Constructive criticism on these forumns tends to turn into more of a bash fest of un-constrictive criticisms.

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

Originally posted by Eerazer

well that's simply not true is it? they actually are some of the most creative people around. HAH!  how could you possibly disagree?  Easilly.  they have to be, to create these games out of nothing. HAH!  where does the inspiration come from? ideas of course.  HAH!

well you seem to have made your mind up. but let me tell you - you are dead wrong if you think others feel the same as you.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

[mod edit]I have to wonder if you guys really like any MMO developer?

It's not the Developers themselves I have an issue with. I respect and am encouraged by most of the Development Teams currently working. I applaude their efforts and their creativity.

The People I have issue with are the Develper's "task masters".... The current Investors, the Marketers, The Accountants. I still believe Developers... read as "Programmers and Artists" .... should be in full management control of any MMO Publishing organization; that is however NOT the case anymore.

I don't "buy" the argument about Capitalism. I hate Beancounters and Investors. I would rather have seen the MMO genre NEVER have beeen discovered by the masses. I don't believe for one second that MMOs "have" to make loads of profit. MMOs just have to put quality first and make enough money for the Developers to make a good salary.

So what about the Investors and Accountants in the MMO Industry (as far as I am concerned)??

They can all go back to Wall Street where they belong.

I haven't given up on MMOs because of the current Developers... I have given up on MMOs because of the people in the industry that run everything and treat Developers like burger flippers.