Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MASS EXODUS! Goodbye EVE!

Comments

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by BribarianI

Obviously they're a company looking to make money, but this it the wrong way to do it.

They'll lose subs and it'll just sink the game slowly over time now while they milk it 6 feet deep.

I believe this is called a bait-and-switch fraud.  Devastating to credibility. 

It happened with SWG with Lucasarts it seems history will repeat it self and CCP's reputation will eventaully be tarnished forever if it backfires , just like the NGE did..

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by Hazelle

The T20 scandal was resolved with the introduction of the CSM and the removal of the offending toon and the ill gotten goods and you joined after that fact.

This current issue was resloved and that other person is joining after the fact.

The fact that those issues were favorably resolved made these scandals far less scandalous and somewhat nullified the negative publicity.

EvE is a hobby, not my life, and I could take it or leave it; but I will not give money to a company that doesn't deal with me in an honest and straight forward fashion, and for that reason this scandal and the NGE were similiar.

Actually in many player's eyes that were around back then the T20 situation was not resolved properly. As I said in another thread or maybe earlier in this, the EVE community has never let CCP off a hook for any incident regardless of how they "resolved" it. Only when the community is tired of screaming about it do they stop

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

EvE was a boring spreadsheet game from the beginning... Don't see much lost if this game fails or if the players move on.

I always laugh when they claim HUGE sub numbers... I'm sure a TON of people are subbed, most running windowed while working in an office somewhere or possibly running multiple accounts at the same time.  The actual number of players activly playing (if you can activly play this game) is nowhere near the claims...

I hope this game dies and makes room for a new Space MMO with some action and enjoyment value!

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by Nicoli

The T20 scandal was resolved with the introduction of the CSM and the removal of the offending toon and the ill gotten goods and you joined after that fact.

This current issue was resloved and that other person is joining after the fact.

The fact that those issues were favorably resolved made these scandals far less scandalous and somewhat nullified the negative publicity.

EvE is a hobby, not my life, and I could take it or leave it; but I will not give money to a company that doesn't deal with me in an honest and straight forward fashion, and for that reason this scandal and the NGE were similiar.

Actually in many player's eyes that were around back then the T20 situation was not resolved properly. As I said in another thread or maybe earlier in this, the EVE community has never let CCP off a hook for any incident regardless of how they "resolved" it. Only when the community is tired of screaming about it do they stop

Firing the dude was not gonna happen because CCP would of had a nice wrongful dismissal lawsuit against them.  Can you think of a clean way to fire an employee simply because they cheated while playing a video game?

Real life > Video game

Originally posted by Painlezz

EvE was a boring spreadsheet game from the beginning... Don't see much lost if this game fails or if the players move on.

I always laugh when they claim HUGE sub numbers... I'm sure a TON of people are subbed, most running windowed while working in an office somewhere or possibly running multiple accounts at the same time.  The actual number of players activly playing (if you can activly play this game) is nowhere near the claims...

I hope this game dies and makes room for a new Space MMO with some action and enjoyment value!

Yep, eve online is holding back your new space mmo, somehow...

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Originally posted by BribarianI

Obviously they're a company looking to make money, but this it the wrong way to do it.

They'll lose subs and it'll just sink the game slowly over time now while they milk it 6 feet deep.

I believe this is called a bait-and-switch fraud.  Devastating to credibility. 

They added a few cosmetic clothes and you guys screaming like its titans for $$ sale.

3-4 plexes a pop that getting gready it ok it have the isk to buy these silly items only you can see but to expect some one to fork out  over £40 pounds  . all most as bad as bilzzard

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

if there going to charge so much for all this crap . then they can lower the sub this just being greedy . some players can buy the plex with isk but to expect some one to pay nearly £40 for one item you can only see . there heading down that dark road blizzard and all other games have gone. if people want to waste there money who are we to stop them i dont mind throwing in a plex now and then ill just bump the price up a bit . i bet buying isk on line gose up as well with this MTS

• CasualGamerCasualGamer Member Posts: 55

I suspended my account shortly before the latest hooplah began, I was just bored of it. I haven't had much impetus to return. For the time sink that the game is I currently do not feel I am getting that much out of it. Single player games with good storylines have spoiled me. EVE has basically been a quest for stuff and waiting for skills to be trained to utilize stuff. Perhaps the most exciting thing I've been involved in with EVE in recent times is Incursions. But, when players start farming them, when there is never any real threat that space will actually be permanently claimed by Sanshas, it just becomes another superficial element in EVE to generate isk to buy more virtual stuff.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Firing the dude was not gonna happen because CCP would of had a nice wrongful dismissal lawsuit against them.  Can you think of a clean way to fire an employee simply because they cheated while playing a video game?

Real life > Video game

Regardless of whether it could happen or should of, its what everyone was screaming for and continued to scream for untill they just tired of doing it. It is the same trend for every one of CCP big scandals or poorly received changes.

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115

Regardless of whether it could happen or should of, its what everyone was screaming for and continued to scream for untill they just tired of doing it. It is the same trend for every one of CCP big scandals or poorly received changes.

We agree on this, but I'd like to extend the thought. Once people have gotten tired of voicing their discontent, they form an opinion of the company, an opinion which is really hard to shift. A reputation is born.

Real life > Video game

As the CEO said it's not what you say it's what you do that counts.

When I first heard about the item shop I reduced my sub to one month intervals, when I became unclear of CCP's intention with the item shop, I cancelled my sub.  I'm still not sub'd to the game and have a few more days of game time active.

I'm not sure whether I'll resub or not at this point - I think I'll take a break for a bit.  Although, a market gamble I made a few monthes ago just paid off in full, leaving me with and excessive amount of ISK...

• EgoSocioEgoSocio Member Posts: 17

I was angermad in the beginning but honestly I could care less now. It has no affect on gameplay, and even if ccp takes it to buying ships and sp that just means more noobs migrating to nullsec for the slaughter.

Btw... I'm back, bitches :P

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Continuing to support CCP's psychotic episodes is foolish, naive at best. Until I see serious effort being invested in the space ship game, I will continue to ridicule CCP on their forums until my sub runs out. Only new players and CCP alts dont "understand"  the implications of CCP's recent moves (last 2 years really).

Personally, I doubt I will ever look back on EVE past this December. Deux Ex, Skyrim, GW2 and TOR are coming out by next spring. EVE will be nothing more than a distant memory for many. By conforming to the f2p/RMT craze, CCP has forfeited EVE's niche in the MMO market. Innovators my ass.

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

Instead of making an item shop, they should try to make Eve Online fun to play.

• SraikSraik Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by luro16

This.

Unsubbed X2  and now playing Perp.  For me it was not about NeX.  It was a combination of CCP's tendancy to blow off fixing existing game content to chase some new "sparkly" and what appears to be a shift in where they are taking the game; less interest in long-term playerbase, more interest in rotation of new accounts.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Actualy the item shop does have an affect on the possibility of having player crafted items for avatars. 

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by Sraik

This.

Unsubbed X2  and now playing Perp.  For me it was not about NeX.  It was a combination of CCP's tendancy to blow off fixing existing game content to chase some new "sparkly" and what appears to be a shift in where they are taking the game; less interest in long-term playerbase, more interest in rotation of new accounts.

Perpetuum is just a small indie game, it will eventuelly die out. The developers are desperate for income as most of its players have left the game. Played perpetuum, and it has its own challenges.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by tinuelle

Perpetuum is just a small indie game, it will eventuelly die out. The developers are desperate for income as most of its players have left the game. Played perpetuum, and it has its own challenges.

Actually it is the opposite.  The continuously online population has just about tripled with this screw-up from CCP.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by thinktank001

Actually it is the opposite.  The continuously online population has just about tripled with this screw-up from CCP.

Give it a month and it will stabilize again. The 1 guy from my 78 man corp that ragequit went to Perpetuum and he barely lasted a week. He's kicking himself for giving away all his ships before he left too lol.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Originally posted by tinuelle

Originally posted by Sraik

This.

Perpetuum does have its challenges. Its new and is doing very well. Its much more fun than EVE. Dont have to travel 26 way points and 90 minutes later to get somewhere. Crafting in perp is much more fun and competitive compared to EVE. As well as the combat. Eve is dying.. Why many of us have left for Perp.

I expect some of you still to play EVE. But the opportunity is less in EVE than what it once was. There is a reason Perp is now higher rated by players  than EVE. How did that happen hmmm?

Also, EVE was once a small indie game. 2004 it had less than 10k subs after its first year. Then CCP did some things right. Listening to its players was one of them. Something that EVE has forgot. regardless of its player based delegates.

Now CCP is following the same route as SOE!

• EgoSocioEgoSocio Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by xpowderx

TROLOLOLOLOL. NeX isn't CU or NGE tbh, it's more like the m(a)icrotransactions that support Team Fortress 2, even though the game honestly doesn't need it. Maybe it will eventually hit SP and ships, but that really won't effect gameplay much. Just more noobs in big ships.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Perpetuum does have its challenges. Its new and is doing very well. Its much more fun than EVE. Dont have to travel 26 way points and 90 minutes later to get somewhere. Crafting in perp is much more fun and competitive compared to EVE. As well as the combat. Eve is dying.. Why many of us have left for Perp.

I expect some of you still to play EVE. But the opportunity is less in EVE than what it once was. There is a reason Perp is now higher rated by players  than EVE. How did that happen hmmm?

Also, EVE was once a small indie game. 2004 it had less than 10k subs after its first year. Then CCP did some things right. Listening to its players was one of them. Something that EVE has forgot. regardless of its player based delegates.

EVE is dying? Far from it. I just logged in and there were 50k+ people on. That's not dying. Perhaps you think because *you* left the game, it's dying. Well, my friend, sorry to disappoint you, but it's not. Despite your absence, TQ hasn't crashed, guns still go pew pew, and people are still flying internet spaceships. No one is crying because you left. No one has stopped logging in because you've moved on. The warp gates still function. I know, I know, in the self-centered world that we live in, it's hard to imagine something persisting after we leave it. It's even harder to imagine it doing even better after we leave. In your case, it's as if you weren't actually the human barometer of EVE's future that you thought you were...

I am glad to hear that Perpetuum is doing well. It sounds like an interesting game, and I hope the dev team can continue its success.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by xpowderxAlso, EVE was once a small indie game. 2004 it had less than 10k subs after its first year.

Less than 10k people concurrent users...not the same as subscribers. Later in 2004, EVE Online reached the milestone of 50k subs.

CCP was never really small.

Dont have to travel 26 way points and 90 minutes later to get somewhere. Crafting in perp is much more fun and competitive compared to EVE.

Oh dear...crafting being competitive? Do you even play the game?

It is one of the most common complaints about the game. Devs even released 'highways' recently in desperate attempt to fix the issue.

If minority of EVE players weren't plain stupid and rage quit, Perpetuum would be still experiencing steady decline in sub numbers since release...

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

To be fair, yes, there's a little hyperbole here--indeed, Eve Online isn't going the way of the dodo any time soon, and many players will feel no impact whatsoever with respect to people who've quit.

That said, if 5% of the active subscribers quit, that's massive enough by MMO standards.  That's the kind of attrition you don't expect in a year unless the game is already in long-term decline.  I'm not suggesting that the number of people who have left are 5%, 40%, or 1%, because frankly there just isn't enough reliable data with respect to the number of paying subs.  --people online, sure, but not subs.  If ever there was a game that gave you an incentive to pay even though you don't currently play it, Eve is that game.  So financially I couldn't predict whether the exodus, however you categorize it, will have a meaningful impact on CCP on a policy level.

Nevertheless, I think you'd have to be willfully ignorant to deny that people have left in droves.  Many have left, and it's really a question of your basis of comparison.  Moreover, and perhaps more importantly, people aren't leaving quietly.  Eve is already a game with a very steep learning curve and a potentially unwelcoming, if not entirely unforgiving, beginner experience.  Combine that with a substantial number of very vocal and very bitter ex-players who have quite possibly one of the best justifications for quitting the company in industry history (second only, I suppose, to SOE's security fiascos), and I can easily see how this could be very damaging to the company.  Frankly if I were in CCP's place right now, I'd be thanking the Lord, my lucky stars, Joe Pesci, and the National Association for Stock Car Racing that White Wolf has already got as much invested in WODO as it does.

On a not entirely unrelated note, to be perfectly frank I also think it's catastrophically naive to think that this is the end of the line when it comes to CCP and non-vanity RMT.  Sure, you can take the stance that you'll just keep playing until it actually happens--after all, the return on your time investment is the fun you're having right now.  That's rational enough if you're the kind of person who can drop a multi-year time investment cold turkey, but we already know that CCP is betting its cold hard development dollars on the premise that you aren't, can't, and won't.  If you think the company's internal stance has changed just because people caught wind and raised hell, you must not have read the email.  Nevertheless I'm not privy to the meetings any more than the next guy, so certainly I can't speak with any authority here, but when you look at the economics and if you know anything about time value of money, the more rational thing to me seems to be to cut your losses when you become aware of the likelihood that your continued investment will be markedly devalued in the future.

Let's remember that this whole fiasco started because the executives at CCP didn't feel like the game was making enough money.  Do you think they're going to sell enough designer virtual jeans to make up the shortfall?  I doubt it.

So I appreciate the fact that those of you who still play the game, approve of the game, or take no stance whatsoever on monocles are feeling a little defensive when we come around and spread the word not only that the people who design, own, and maintain your game are lying greedy crooks, but also that it's very likely that anyone who starts playing Eve now will at some point in the future have the time he or she invests in advancing in the game retroactively wasted by the same lying greedy crooks.  Hey, I get it; you want to try and protect your interest in having people to play with while the good times last.

But let's not pretend that nothing is going on.

As for me, I've uninstalled, and my two accounts will never be active again.  And to be perfectly honest it makes me very sad: Eve was a phenomenal game, different from anything else out there and unmatched in its versatility and potential for military and political strategy.  I still find myself wishing I could pick it back up and play.  But I won't, and the rational investment argument is only part of the reason.  The rest is principle, and I would remind any self-important sarcastic Eve fan out there that principle also still exists in this self-centered world that we live in.

The principle is that You don't sell power is sacrosanct.  That corporations are lying to us is something that most people take for granted, and sure, every now and then you'll see a particularly nasty leak revealing the dark inner workings of how the machine is looking to squeeze a few more drops of blood out of the working man; that's essentially what happened here, and that's what gives rise to the rational argument.  But the content of what was leaked was so outrageous (see the big red text above) that it's not enough for me to simply cancel my subscription and move on because I've decided not to do business with these people anymore.  It's cliche, but a message must be sent.  Those of us who left want CCP and the rest of the industry to understand that this kind of policy will not be tolerated, and the only way to communicate that is to demonstrate that it will not be profitable, and we're not willing to allow them to test it.

The mass exodus rhetoric isn't just about frustration for what CCP has done--it's also about demonstrating the consequences of contemplating these kinds of things to others in the industry.  I want SOE, Blizzard, Trion, NCsoft, and every other company in this business to witness what happened to CCP when they tried to pull this stunt and got caught.  If an example isn't made, if people continue to support and embrace CCP because they can't wean themselves off of its delicious crack--and God forbid the same people spend loads of money on Gold Ships (yes, they're coming) and monocles--then the same people will teach CCP and every other name in the business that this kind of stuff is profitable.  That, to me and to the rest of us who have left, is the worst possible outcome.  We have taken a stance on the level of money we're willing to spend, how we'll spend it, and what we're willing to spend it on, and if that stance is to mean anything, we have to put our money where our mouth is.  That means that people are leaving Eve, and we're not coming back even though we'd like to.  It means we're going to spread the word about what happened and where we're going, and it means that we'll do the same to the next company that tries to do it.

Peace and safety.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by XhieronI'm not suggesting that the number of people who have left are 5%, 40%, or 1%, because frankly there just isn't enough reliable data with respect to the number of paying subs. 
    Nevertheless, I think you'd have to be willfully ignorant to deny that people have left in droves. Many have left, and it's really a question of your basis of comparison. 

Sucks to deny yourself...

As for your ranting, learn what people actually want before you make yourself look like a fool:

http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win

Welcome to real world.