Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Firefly Universe Online Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

DarkCryo has revealed that it is currently developing Firefly Universe Online. DarkCryo is an independent developer that his working to secure the rights to take over the Firefly MMO that was originally in development by Fox and Multiverse. By all reports, the team is hard at work bringing the cult series to live and already includes several factions: Browncoats, Alliance, Reavers and Megacorp.

Fellow Browncoats, the indie crew of DarkCryo Entertainment this week announced that they are taking over where Fox and Multiverse had stranded fans of the cancelled television series Firefly with their intention to continue development of the long-awaited Firefly MMORPG interactive title.

Already titled Firefly Universe Online, the game highlights multiple playable factions, special cast appearances, canonical planetary environments, and groundbreaking role-play mechanics.

A release date for Firefly Universe Online has not yet been set, although development efforts have already been well underway for some time now. Firefly Universe Online is seeking official endorsement by 20th Century Fox and Mutant Enemy Inc, however it will proceed in the interim under fair use as an unauthorized canonical parody, a tribute to the fans, the beloved cast, and creator Joss Wedon.

Check out the official Firefly Universe Online site. Read the press release here.

Source: Ten Ton Hammer

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Am I the only guys who sees the big UNAUTHORIZED beside the name Firefly Universe?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by WolfClaws

Am I the only guys who sees the big UNAUTHORIZED beside the name Firefly Universe?

"Firefly Universe Online is seeking official endorsement by 20th Century Fox and Mutant Enemy Inc, however it will proceed in the interim under fair use as an unauthorized canonical parody, a tribute to the fans, the beloved cast, and creator Joss Wedon."

Looks like they're making it whether it's authorized or not, I guess it will be free if they get no support from Fox or mutant enemy.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Originally posted by WolfClaws

lol nope i noticed that too but not suprising since doesn't sound like fox or whedon have anything to do with it from the press release

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I loved the series and thought it was was killed way too soon. But I dont see much MMO in there. Not much was shown about the worlds they visited. And as MMO you wouldnt be able to play the main characters. So what is left is just an ip name.

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

I've got a bad feeling about this   =p

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

If you've read any of the Pen and paper RPG based in this series the universe would be great for an mmo, but they would have to put a decent amount of work and polish into it. Not sure how I feel about these guys picking it up but we'll see.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Any word on if it'll be a traditional MMO with client based files and back end servers, or if they're going to go F2P with item stores? The former, I'll be excited about. The latter will habe me slitting my wrists...

I'm planning on pausing WoW for WoWInSpace (SWOR) but if this turns out right, I'll pause SWOR and get my Serenity Browncoat on :) Who else would have liked Bioware to be making this game? :)

As for the worry about the `verse being big enough; there's tons of canon out there and the community have been developing entire encylopedias about the various planets.

Check out an example: http://store.qmxonline.com/Atlas-of-The-Verse_p_86.html

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

As much as I loved the series and film I just cannot see a compelling mmo here either.

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

I dont understand how this works. All I have to do is put the word "unauthorized" underneath the name and I can make money off of an IP?

• GunzieGunzie Member Posts: 9

I agree to skip the mmo here.  If you love nathan fillion so much, write a awesoe movie script for him - but Serenity was all about him and the charaters developing as a family.  Good scifi drama does not an mmo make.

The absolute very best awsome TV scifi IP that needs a MMO is FARSCAPE!  that was an AMAZING, compelling, well thought out, rich environment full of worlds and phenomena to explore and trounce through.  Unlike Serenity, It lasted for 4 years and 1 movie - and thats at the full TV season, not the half seasons of 13 episodes they use now.

Scorpius is the only villain epic enough, devious and decietful enough to hold his own in comparison with even the most sinister of villains, Darth Vader.  And don forget all of the interesting critters and species with their trippy mind games, intoxicants, habbits, and sadisitic tendencies.

And dont underestimate the hot factor of Claudia Black as Aeryn Sun.

And hell yes, I am a Farscape FANBOI!!!! - be cause it fucking rocks like no other. 

Have Winnona, will travel.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by Gunzie

I agree to skip the mmo here.  If you love nathan fillion so much, write a awesoe movie script for him - but Serenity was all about him and the charaters developing as a family.  Good scifi drama does not an mmo make.

The absolute very best awsome TV scifi IP that needs a MMO is FARSCAPE!  that was an AMAZING, compelling, well thought out, rich environment full of worlds and phenomena to explore and trounce through.  Unlike Serenity, It lasted for 4 years and 1 movie - and thats at the full TV season, not the half seasons of 13 episodes they use now.

Scorpius is the only villain epic enough, devious and decietful enough to hold his own in comparison with even the most sinister of villains, Darth Vader.  And don forget all of the interesting critters and species with their trippy mind games, intoxicants, habbits, and sadisitic tendencies.

And hell yes, I am a Farscape FANBOI!!!! - be cause it fucking rocks like no other. 

Urgh, i thnk of Farscape and all  i can see is the muppets in space.

• GunzieGunzie Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Beachcomber

Originally posted by Gunzie

Urgh, i thnk of Farscape and all  i can see is the muppets in space.

the costumes were amazing, the colors and designs, and the 2 animatronic puppets of the main cast quickly become life-like compelling members of the crew.  And honestly, id rather an interesting looking, well voice-acted puppet, than a shallow CGI monster that looks great but only drools and roars.  to each his own :)

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by SunwolfNC

Any word on if it'll be a traditional MMO with client based files and back end servers, or if they're going to go F2P with item stores? The former, I'll be excited about. The latter will habe me slitting my wrists...

Since they're looking for Unity programmers, I'd say it's probably a browser game.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

I hope this mmorpg does good and lasts it looks really cool and teh way the say its going to be is huge

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I was kind of dumbfounded to hear this, until I realized it was happening without Joss Whedon and Co. I'm looking forward to seeing this develop. It would be cool if they managed to make an MMO that worked, much less one based off of Firefly.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

One of my favorite TV series is actually trying to goto MMO?

OMG YES!

I hope everything works out :)

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

I love Firefly but I am afraid those guys are just putting a coat of paint from an IP they don't even have access to on a piece of asian crap MMO

This will most likely suck hard

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

DO NOT WANT

not from an indie developer.  no way.  this game needs real financing from a real company that can afford to shoulder the financial challenges developing, launching, supporting, and maintaining a successful mmorpg.

an indie developer just cant handle the task.  we've seen it how many times?

the last thing i want is firefly online to be only about as good as darkfail and mortal online.  AT BEST.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by cerebrix

DO NOT WANT

not from an indie developer.  no way.  this game needs real financing from a real company that can afford to shoulder the financial challenges developing, launching, supporting, and maintaining a successful mmorpg.

the last thing i want is firefly online to be only about as good as darkfail and mortal online.  AT BEST.

I'd prefer that a group of Browncoats make the game myself, rather than Sony Online Entertainment or Biowizzard.

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

I'd try out a firefly mmo.. loved the series

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

DO NOT WANT

I'd prefer that a group of Browncoats make the game myself, rather than Sony Online Entertainment or Biowizzard.

you have no idea the electric bill alone for a server farm and oc-45 required for just 1 server.  let alone the cost to lease said oc-45 and the bandwidth costs tied to that.  not to mention the redundency needed there.  the support staff for said connection alone.   not to mention the regular server support staff, and we havent even touched end user support.  we also havent even touched development, marketting, administration, legal (yes, you need lawyers.   good ones, several of them).

mmo's require MUCH more than you could possibly imagine behind the scenes.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I seriously hope Fox finally gives up the rights because they are the reason Firefly died in the first place. I look forward to hearing about the developement. Just because it is an indie group doing it, doesn't automatically mean anything. CCP was originally Indie and so was Mojang and now look at them both. 

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Finally someone realized that the Multiverse Firefly game was always going to be vaporware. I am curious to see exactly how they plan to pull this off, because Firefly was even more centered  on the crew and their interactions than Star Trek was.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

DO NOT WANT

^This

Not looking forward to it because of the developer. I think the firefly universe could make an amazing mmo, much like SWG pre-cu tbh, but a universe this big is going to need alot of financial support and resources. Funny how this was announced the day SOE announced the death of SWG.

EDIT: why are reavers and megacorp factions? Reavers are mindless monsters, and megacorp is just one powerful corporation of many.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

I loved the series and movie but this concept sounds terrible.  I really hope they scrap the four factions idea. 

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar