Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Shutting Down This Year

Comments

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

Its funny cause I havent played it in years cause of all the NGE stuff and blah blah's.... But when I heard it, though I expected it to have happened before this,  I .. I still felt sad almost.  Sorta like watching the 80's cartoons like G.I. Joe and Transformers, I remember how I use to LOVE them, and then I see them now and facepalm.  I was always worried to go back and turn SWG into my game version of  Thundercats *soft sigh, sniffles*... I"ll always remember who you were Star Wars Galaxies. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

And people say that MMOs almost never get shut down..... I think this is the second MMO to really "die" this year?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by kain4

Originally posted by mmonooblet

More people played AFTER CU, so you "vets" need to just get over yourselves. This game sucked from the beginning, the updates helped but it was never a good game.

Of course EA and LA wouldn't want people to confuse SWTOR with this unfinished pile of garbage.

lol nice try but no, when cu hit, swg listed a record 150,000 loss in the first week and hemoraged at an average of about 1k every week after untill around 2 months in where they started gaining subs back. 

Umm...150K?...Not so much...I don't think the Game ever had much more than 350-400K at it's peak...No way it lost more than 40% of Subs when the CU rolled out...No possible way...Anyone who was playing would know that...

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/06/26/a-star-wars-galaxies-history-lesson-from-launch-to-the-nge-4

"The catch - the thing that few people recall these years later - is that the Combat Update worked. Afterward players found engaging in combat a far more rewarding experience, and (the rumour goes) subscriptions actually rose back to at-launch levels. Perhaps even beyond."

This was my personal experience...I was there...I was a GL...My Guild was hopping during the CU...Expanding like crazy...Flurry was hopping...There was so much lag in Moe Eis and Dant Mining Outpost you could barely move...The Game was fine...Not perfect, but it was a great start to build from...We were having a blast...I mean we were having a GREAT time...There were players everywhere!!! Then the NGE came and...BOOM!!! Gone...image

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

come on before WoW was released a game that had 1 mill subs was classed a major success. Since WoW came the mark seems to be around the 6 million subs to be a success and over 8 mill to be a major success.

To get this now, companies really do need to up the games considerably, yet so far they seem to have gone in the opposite direction (cheap and nasty and rushed).

• scottec1425scottec1425 Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by Jonsus

This is oddly poetic.

Kind of like how the Empire gets destroyed and balance is finally brought to the force... But Vader and the Emperor wiped out the Jedi, and billions of other lives first.

SoE / Lucas Arts embraced the dark side and have paid the ultimate price for their twisted plans and ways. Their game is dead.

Silly boy when vader and the emperor ruled the galaxie the force was in balance, just because it was dark side force dosent mean it wasnt in balance only 2 existed master and apperntace. Luke shows up and throws a wrench into the balance of the force, and trys to rebuild the  jedi order,  only sets it up for a later defeate by a more powerfull enemy.

• EranuEranu Member Posts: 191

Tis a sad day , had some great memories . Its probably more of a shame for all the people who spent hours desiging the most elaborate houses and guild halls . some absolutely amazing ones.

RIP SWG

Greatness is difficult to appreciate from close up. The great mountain on the horizon is only the ground when you are standing on it.

• jonnyfragjonnyfrag Member Posts: 110

if the companies would realize that WoW might never be recreated, i.e. anything with that level of success and have more realistic goals, games like this could go on. But everyone wants to be the WoW killer, and it's unlikely to happen, especially if all you are doing is trying to copy it. Of course, people said that about EQ1 back in the day, when it was the WoW on the block (even though Asheron's Call was the far superior game...still running too!) so one day someone will do it. Probably with World of Starcraft (even though that is what TOR might be able to be called honestly.)

I was going into the whole 'here comes TOR, SWG's gonna die' fairly comfortable that we probably had a couple of years left on 'no updates' mode at least, but I guess LA is ok with kicking us in the nuts.

Screw you Lucas...you raped my childhood with your crappy prequels and now you are ending my adult fun as well.

{mod edit}

Played: Asheron's Call(still the best fantasy MMO!), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Horizons, City of Heroes/Villians, WoW (crap), LOTORO, D&D Online, Eve, Anarchy Online, and still playing SWG daily.

• JediConsularJediConsular Member Posts: 51

Travis, get your gun...it's time to put Old Yeller down.

My text is green because my posts are created with Willpower!
  • kain4kain4 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by KyngBills

More people played AFTER CU, so you "vets" need to just get over yourselves. This game sucked from the beginning, the updates helped but it was never a good game.

Of course EA and LA wouldn't want people to confuse SWTOR with this unfinished pile of garbage.

lol nice try but no, when cu hit, swg listed a record 150,000 loss in the first week and hemoraged at an average of about 1k every week after untill around 2 months in where they started gaining subs back. 

Umm...150K?...Not so much...I don't think the Game ever had much more than 350-400K at it's peak...No way it lost more than 40% of Subs when the CU rolled out...No possible way...Anyone who was playing would know that...

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/06/26/a-star-wars-galaxies-history-lesson-from-launch-to-the-nge-4

"The catch - the thing that few people recall these years later - is that the Combat Update worked. Afterward players found engaging in combat a far more rewarding experience, and (the rumour goes) subscriptions actually rose back to at-launch levels. Perhaps even beyond."

This was my personal experience...I was there...I was a GL...My Guild was hopping during the CU...Expanding like crazy...Flurry was hopping...There was so much lag in Moe Eis and Dant Mining Outpost you could barely move...The Game was fine...Not perfect, but it was a great start to build from...We were having a blast...I mean we were having a GREAT time...There were players everywhere!!! Then the NGE came and...BOOM!!! Gone...image

lol you know you should read someones entire post before saying something like "omg you don't know you wern't there" i was there and was in the largest pvp guild on our server. when the cu hit we had maybe 6 people left on the server that i could find. and this whole 150k not so much? do some research before you post, that website you sent me a link to is terrible, it gives no solid numbers at all. try doing what i did and going to multiple websites and researching your claim before hand. and yes way it lost that many when cu hit and did not recover untill several weeks afterwards when people decided to give it a chance. and not at any point after did swg have as many as it did pre-cu. in short do your research and don't quote a site that says "and the rumor goes" rumors are just that, rumors. of course you're going to find posts saying cu worked because after cu hit soe tried to claim a number of 1million copies sold that no one believed.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by KyngBills

lol you know you should read someones entire post before saying something like "omg you don't know you wern't there" i was there and was in the largest pvp guild on our server. when the cu hit we had maybe 6 people left on the server that i could find. and this whole 150k not so much? do some research before you post, that website you sent me a link to is terrible, it gives no solid numbers at all. try doing what i did and going to multiple websites and researching your claim before hand. and yes way it lost that many when cu hit and did not recover untill several weeks afterwards when people decided to give it a chance. and not at any point after did swg have as many as it did pre-cu. in short do your research and don't quote a site that says "and the rumor goes" rumors are just that, rumors. of course you're going to find posts saying cu worked because after cu hit soe tried to claim a number of 1million copies sold that no one believed.

Speaking as someone who was there from the start (beta) .. i'd have to say that the game started losing players when they introduced the hologrind.. the whole Jedi thing was a mistake.. it was further compounded by the CU... and the introduction of levels into a game where they didnt belong, it made a mess of the various worlds that suddenly became far less populated (by creatures!) and what was left was just a mess, with the CU the decline had set in... it wasnt even the same CU that had been on the test server (which to some degree had gained a measure of success) instead, the CU was implemented with little real testing.. and it showed.. so more players left, and then there was the fiasco of releasing an expansion, the Trials..  which was closely followed by the NGE, (which for the short time it was on the test server, brought nothing but criticism from those testing it) which negated much of the Trials expansion - which i believe SOE had to refund players for..  but the damage was done.. the NGE was the last straw, the exodus from SWG was almost complete, in the course of those 'changes' the game had gone from having around 220k - 250k subs (pre Jedi)  to something closer to 40k (by that point SOE had changed how servers displayed populations.. lol ).. and its been in declining steadily since..  SWG has been nothing but a litany of bad decisions and poor choices made by those who really should have known better. image

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

I do know the relationship with SOE and LA is really strained BUT ... wouldn't it be a kick in the head if this is a ploy to convert SWG to F2P along with getting its proper engine overhaul not possible while live.

Yes, I know.  LA wants this baggage gone so TOR will be the planned "second coming" that the NGE was suppose to be.  The thing is SOE still have agreements in place with LA as they continue to service Clone Wars Adventures.  Poor excuse but hey its there.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

While it is painful to see any of our MMOs shut down I have not played SWG since a little after NGE was introduced. I tried it again a year or so ago but just played some free time on it and stopped.

My hope though, is that the December shut down does not coincide with TOR's release because I am bloody tired of Friday updates and marketing spew. I just want the game to get out. It "seems" that is is pretty close to complete so I am sure hoping it is releasing much sooner than December.

• TerminatusTerminatus Member Posts: 104

LucasProfits doesn't like FREE thinggies

I'll miss my pet Rancors

• Hal9kHal9k Member UncommonPosts: 38

I never tried SWG. By the time it was really on my radar NGE was out, and I was already pissed off about the fact that the FPS has infected every genre of game. So I gave it a pass. But with it closing for good in 6 months, I'm downloaded a trial now. Figure I'll at least see the game world before it's gone forever.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

SAD! :( I know lotsa people hated SWG after the combat updates etc, but i liked it, especially for its combination of ground combat, extensive player housing, space combat and vehicles with some cool and iconic star wars armor and equipment, etc.

That game offered something to some of us that no other game did.

Example; I remember finishing a huge dungeon and making some friends, socializing in one of our towns/houses and than driving ALL TOGETHER to the local star port (for the heck of it!:D ) AND FINALLY launching a single-huuge ass MULTIPLAYER SPACESHIP together, manning guns, consoles, engineering and navigation etc, as we marrily shot down many a rebel scum and bogeys, and than had some party on the interior of the ship.

THats the stuff that NO MMO puts on table.

Gonna miss ya, old pal. (Pulls SWG to the backyard, and shoots it in the head)-. RIP

PS

I wish they coulda waited 2-3 more years before they pulled the plug, but,,, oh well..

• Minion552Minion552 Member Posts: 67

You all have it wrong SOE and Lucas did not kill this game The players did when they started crying about jedi Over powered. Just like the whine bags in any game that cry over spilt milk. Is why Alpha class games fail..look at wows subs and success before Wotlk. Then look at the drop in subs from the Death knight. Thing is That the Death knight was no where near as hard to get as Jedi was pre pub 9. Jedi was for the hard core the people who wanted it badly..not your Sunday off Dad with a yoda mouse pad thinking he was uber.

Once you people understand Games are not fair they never will be fair there will always be someone better then you at it or have more time to sink, So to all you cry babies out there this is a perfect reason why Games die..is not the company its YOU!!!!!!  So next time you want to QQ about someone owning you in pvp or a crafter with better stuff, why not STFU quit the game and go play something that takes no skill to play...like Hello kitty.

Every MMO I ever played has little cry babies....In SWG jedi are everywhere it hurts my epeen too see people with glow bats..In Wow The rogue is un fair they can back stab you..In War the Maruders are OP cause they can beserk...In COH master minds are to hard to kill... In TOR people already screaming the Sith warrior looks way to Over powerd vs the Jedi knight...AHHH STFU already and just play the game....

RIP SWG.

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

I wonder if SOE will sell the engine? Or use it in a more effective matter?

I mean if anything they "should" be the top company in the business in regards for having tested what works and what doesn't work in MMORPG design.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

For all those past and present that love(d) the game pre or post anything.  You have my sympathies.

It's never nice to see an MMO close the doors wether I've played or not.

R.I.P

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Dionysus187

Making way for the WoW Star Wars mod!

Your wrong.

It's actually a Champions Online mod ;)

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by wrekognize

This is horrible horrible horrible.  Should have tried ftp before dumping..One of the few MMOs on the market that had unique features to offer. 

The ONLY MMO with unique features...

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

true virtual world. best game ever (pre nge)

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Death by NGE. Death by stupid development decisions month after month.

I will not forgive.

• ColdskinColdskin Member Posts: 22

it will be a good memories in my heart . but don't worry there will be old public.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Some of you have these sympathetic posts. Remembering the good old days with tears in your eyes. Some talk how sad this ending is. Some even suggest the player based turned it's back on SOE after NGE. Got news for you, they should have! I am glad to hear this news SOE totally screwed players. Did you guys forget this? They ripped 3 years of work away from us with NGE never letting us know what they were planning to keep our money. I was a master creature handler/bio-engineer and master Jedi. If you played the game then you know how I took it up the ass with that as my main. 3 years of work gone upon log-in the morning NGE went live. I think it took me about an hour to close my account that day. I have defended SOE over the years because one of their games EQ2 is a good product but I will never support and have not supported SWG since NGE. I do not feel bad for current players since they have been warned. This should have come years ago.

I finally left EQ2 for Rift and will not be back. I will miss EQ2 and have good memories. The direction SOE seems to be heading with it's mmos does not interest me. So not only is this news about SWG an ending but my time with SOE is over and I do not see anything in the future to bring me back. Good luck SOE you have given me some good gaming memories but had you not put into place NGE I would still be playing only one mmo SWG. You also have given me my worst mmo experience ever NGE. If it was not for NGE I probably would not have played any of the mmos out in the since nge, that is how much I love SWG it had everything I wanted in an mmo. So no tears here over SWG's grave I dance on your remains with joy. It is about time you where buried deep never to see the light of day again!

• RoccprofitRoccprofit Member Posts: 98

Soe had something amazing. Yeah the game had bugs but, most of them were not game breaking if you did not ait there and whine about the few little broken things. I have played a lot of mmo's since galaxies and they all have bugs and they all have there issues but, the ones that survive look to the player base for answers.

That was Sony's greatest FUBAR ignoreing the player base. I knew a lot of people I had so many people I dealt with regualrly pre-cu that I had filled friends list on 4 charactors in an attempt to keep track of them all, each and everyday those list were showing ALL people on ALL 4 friends list online. then rumurs of the cu emerged, The combat upgrade that was billed as a fix all. 

For months I talked to people, read forums, talked to people in game tring to get all the info I could and although Sony just kept saying it was what the players wanted I was unable to find a single person that wanted the CU, The forums were endless pages of objections to the CU, yet Sony kept insisting that the players wanted this. I never did find a post that said anything about these were the things wanted, even the most vocal whiners were suddenly defending the game and saing they did not want this, then the CU was pushed andyway despite the amazingly huge number of players that were opposed to it. with in a week or 2 my friends list all went dark and stayed that way, the remaining friends still logging in were easily sorted into one friends list on one toon with room to spare.

These days it is hard to find people who were actually there pre-cu most that claim they were are actually confusing the NGE with the CU I know this because they have no clue as to what the Holo grind was, they have no idea of what the massive base bust battles were, there idea of massive base bust is maybe 20-40 people in total, they say things like "pre-cu I pwned in restuss" even though restuss as a pvp zone pre-cu did not exsist.

Although I do agree with a earlier poster that most people reacted a bit to harshly after the CU the shear number of people that left speaks volumes as to the lvl of the mistake SOE made by ignoreing there player base.

All the game needed pre-cu was tuning and some balanceing issues and the rest of it would have sorted it self out, not a complete rewrite and definatly not a complete rewrite in objection to the majority of the player base.

No other game has the lvl of detailing in house decorateing or the ability to extensivly deversify your charactor not any where near pre-cu lvls. No other game has as good of a space flight sim. Was it perfect ? no. but, then I have found no game that is perfect and I doubt I ever will.