Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Shutting Down This Year

Comments

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

As bad as the NGE was, it has been confirmed the game was losing 10k subs a month prior to it happening. So while the NGE was an obvious fubar, the preNGE game wasnt doing very well either.

• celee2222celee2222 Member Posts: 123

I didnt think i would find myself saying this but Im actually welling up inside after reading that article.

Ok so Ive had a couple of drinks and a dram of good ol whiskey to follow

This was my first and best MMO

Im truely saddened by this loss

SWG will be missed

To add to my last post, for anyone who hasnt read this here is the "real" story behind the NGE:

http://rubenfield.com/?p=86

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by wrekognize

This is horrible horrible horrible.  Should have tried ftp before dumping..One of the few MMOs on the market that had unique features to offer. 

Keeping SWG alive is not in the best interests of Lucasarts or SOE at this point. For Lucasarts, it would mean competition for their new Star Wars MMO. For SOE, it would mean spending large amounts of money to renew the contract with Lucasarts... which would not be anywhere near worth it considering the current state of the game. I can totally understand why they chose to simply dump it rather than keep it alive on life support.

Things probably would never have gotten to this point if the game's supporters had not completely turned on it after the NGE. Sure, the game was a lot different and arguably worse after it was implemented, but the game was still a better sandbox than almost anything else on the market. Yet most of its supporters turned their backs never to return again. I am not in any way defending what SOE did to the game, but I do think people reacted a little irrationally.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

almost brought a tear to me eye, im serious. The amount of fun I had Pre-NGE has so far been unmatched, Memories are what I have had for these past years, So much for saying that the games can "co-exist"  I new it was just another attempt to get players, I would still be playing if the NGE had never gone through, and im sure most of the sandbox community would too. It just goes to show that even a bug riddled game where some mechanics didn't work still can foster the sandbox community. It is good the game is dead.

SOE, just look back, just think back. WAS IT WORTH IT? did your game do better because of the NGE, did you backstabbing, failure to communite with the fans and only listening to the vocial minority on only half of your fourm boards HELP YOU?

the playerbase that was SWG Pre-CU or even pre NGE only wanted their game, and yet the NGE is burned into the minds of the Online Gaming world, Thank you for the lesson: how destroying a successful game can bring nothing but angry people, a lawsuit, a generation of hate , and the shuting down of one of the great MMOs, with one of the Greatest IPs the Gaming world has/will ever see.

RIP  My First love in online gaming, and my Twi'lek Bh/Ch Clemente Vega 

You have and will be missed

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

I have been playing off and on since day 1. I am very sad.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

As bad as the NGE was, it has been confirmed the game was losing 10k subs a month prior to it happening. So while the NGE was an obvious fubar, the preNGE game wasnt doing very well either.

The CU is to blame for the bleeding of subs, most people tend to forget that the CU was the beginning of the end. It changed the game almost as much as the NGE.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

So I just don't believe that SWG was losing 10k sub a month before NGE.  It wouldn't have lasted to NGE.  Prehaps the month before NGE they lost 10k subs, but then they had added those STUPID jedi villages by then  and lets not forget CU or the faction pilot trees. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• I felt like writing an immense post about what this game meant to me and how it has influenced me and how much memories I have and all... but no.

It's better to keep it short and simple:

R.I.P. - Here lies my one love, the one game that no other game could ever replace.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I'll always have a big pile of great memories from SWG pre-NGE and pre-holocrons and all that.

Still miss Ahazi and remember the first time I logged in the game and was stumbling all lost and confused until I found my way.  Bio-Engineer will be a class I miss.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

That sucks, I was just starting to have fun playing again. It's nothing compared to Pre-cu, but it's so much more engaging than basically any MMO I've tried in the last few months, LOTRO, Rift, G&H:RR, AOC or WOW.

I guess I'll at least play until the end. I do think this has a lot to do with TOR as others have said.

I just hope TOR is good, and no Dragon Age 2 doesn't make me worry. If that's a companies worst game, it's hardly ammunition to use against them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by OkhamsRazor

I have a bad feeling about this :P

Wierd they have released a statement nothing bad just a simple fact of life.

Here is the quote:

And it was needed. When we were asked, we were bleeding subscribers.

If I remember correctly, somewhere around 10k a month. LOSING 10,000

subs a month.

Note – I think our subs were closer to 160-180 than 200k. It was a bad financial situation no matter how you look at it.

It was not idyllic. You can remember it as an amazing game, but it wasn’t.

So yeah, they actually could have stayed in business losing 10k subs a month if the starting point was 200k. The games been afloat for years now with only 50k at most. But its obvious why they felt they had to do something. Unfortunately they just made a horribly wrong decision.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

SWG's time has came and has been gone for some time.   I really liked the game when I played it 6+ years ago.  I will probably get back on durring the last few hours to see the server close.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Originally posted by Rylon

I felt like writing an immense post about what this game meant to me and how it has influenced me and how much memories I have and all... but no.

It's better to keep it short and simple:

R.I.P. - Here lies my one love, the one game that no other game could ever replace.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I am done with MMOs.

• labryinthlabryinth Member Posts: 37

Listen to this whilst reading the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOe2ubqeHec&feature=related

God mode = Don't cry

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by sevitoth

Sooo....how did that NGE work out for you SOE?

Kept the game going for six years, so I'd say rather well.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Now this scares me about Vanguard. I realize the contract with LucasArts doesn't allow SOE to just FTP SWG, but they just seem so quick to kill games off, like they did with MxO, what does that say for VG? Stop being pansies SOE and make VG FTP.

On the note of SWG, it died when they pulled the stupid holocron grind out of their butts instead of having the jedi unlock be unlocked via an epic quest line, much like Legendary weapons in WoW. THAT is when the game started to fail, when I lost interest and when SOE went into kneejerk mode and started galvanizing their original game.  Oh and launching a Star Wars game without space...yeah...that was smart.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Well little to late to point fingers. whats done is done. clearly though LA was behid this with TOR coming. the contract was denied due to the fact they don't want anything to take away from TOR. I wish those folks well who got free 45 like me and was having a great time with the parts of the game that still had a trace of pre-CU.

I wont be playing for the final server event, to much pain due to a darn game that makes me not happy thinking about it's current potential it still had. I wont be messing with TOR. If I want a more polished theme-park I will go to Wow which has nailed linear progression and boring easy combat to a tee.

Not much of a fan of Mr Lucas starwars and today even less so. lets hope anything this man touches fails with his IP.

Sorry if my current anger is stopping me from saying on this forum what I want due to some policy being treaded upon here that violates good taste and profanity. this is not trolling just not happy with todays news and the LA/BW under-handedness that has transpired to make this news happen.

I will miss my old pet felix who i just got back after 6 years gone and now this.

It was fun no matter what the hatters say.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Never played this game but i heard so much about it kinda sad to see a mmorpg get shut down

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

It's a sad thing when a game dies or in this case gets canceled. Not surprising but still sad.  I do think that LA had some influence. It's not fact but my suspision is that they decided to take it down right around the time ToR is coming out. It seems...a little convienent, that SWG has been up for years with this population and NOW it gets taken down just as another star wars game comes out.

Now the fans still have a game that is star wars they can play but now Bioware/EA has a monopoly on the star wars franchise, well at least in the MMO market they do anyhow.

Not sure if thats a good thing...hopefully it is.  Feel sorry for the sandbox gamers, you guys need a good sandbox game and stat, all the sandbox ones keep either being horrid or dying.  Heres to hoping you guys get AA to work out, it's not really star wars but at least it's sandboxy.

I'm sure it will mean more subs to ToR now, as at least some of those people were playing becuase it was star wars and not because of the features that were in there, actually now that i think about it, it's probably a very large portion of them are doing it for exactly that reason.

Oh well, sad to see it go, hopefully people who are still playing will have fun until then and then can find something new to play afterwords, we still have quite a few games coming out over the next year or so that may interest them.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Omali

Limping along is more like it...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Here is the quote:

And it was needed. When we were asked, we were bleeding subscribers.

If I remember correctly, somewhere around 10k a month. LOSING 10,000

subs a month.

Note – I think our subs were closer to 160-180 than 200k. It was a bad financial situation no matter how you look at it.

It was not idyllic. You can remember it as an amazing game, but it wasn’t.

So yeah, they actually could have stayed in business losing 10k subs a month if the starting point was 200k. The games been afloat for years now with only 50k at most. But its obvious why they felt they had to do something. Unfortunately they just made a horribly wrong decision.

Yeah sorry I just can't believe a guy who quantifies his facts with I think or if i remember correctly.  

Also MMOdata.net agrues with him http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Omali

SWG has it's highest subs before CU & NGE.  So really no.  It brought in enough money to keep the game up and put out expansions that had been made years before.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

To be honest this is more akin to terminating life support than anything else. SWG has been comatose for a while now because of SOE's decisions.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.