Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamersfirst Now own FE and FE is going f2p

fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/gamersfirst-announces-acquisition-of-fallen-earth-with-new-f2p-b/  FE site has a post that sends ya here. the game did sell out and is now offically going f2p.

Comments

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I just read this on Massively . Good news indeed ( for me anyway ) . This is something I've wanted to give a try since playing the trial a while back . I thought it had potential but did'nt grab me enough to subscribe .

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Just got an email saying they are heading that way.  I see it as good and bad both.  The good is a whole lot more players will get to see what a good game it is.  The bad is a whole lot more players will be around and it will likely wreck a lot of the ambience the game had.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

If this game had an acceptable ( mmorpg tab target )combat system would be a sucess, or at least a fps targetting that is not as crappy as the one it uses.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Great news. If the targeting has improved, even better.

How does a game 'sell out'?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

enjoyed this game at launch just couldnt find a guild that i enjoyed playing with..

now its going f2p i think ill come back for a bit :)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Today I got this email:

Greetings Wastelander!

Have you seen the latest news? Fallen Earth is proud to announce that it has joined the GamersFirst family! Marie "Aro Sei" Croall and all the developers you know and love will now continue to develop Fallen Earth under the banner of Reloaded Productions while GamersFirst provides all publishing and technical services. As with all GamersFirst games, this means Fallen Earth will begin to transition to the Free2Play® model over the next few months.

This is a huge change, so the team appreciates all of your support as we make the transition! If you have questions about everything that's going on (and we're sure you do) make sure to check out the Fallen Earth blog here.

-The Fallen Earth Team

Fallen Earth Development Blog

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

I don't think many MMO's can survive these days unless they go free to play.  I switched to console gaming and don't bat an eyelid at spending money on DLC, but I would gawp now at paying a monthly sub for a game.  I kind of think to be honest that the sub model is becoming more and more dated and people now look to buy what they want and not what they are given.

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Makes me sick to my stomach ... I hate F2P games and I especially hate Gamersfirst.

Fallen Earth is such a great game, I wish they would leave it the hell alone. With the structure they've already announced, they've drastically segregated the players. The more you pay, the more XP boost you get. Who the hell is going to want to group with someone not paying the most every month to get max XP? Even the free players aren't going to want to group with free players, they're going to be looking for high rollers to boost their XP.

I'd bet money you're going to run into situations where players are being kicked from groups mid-run to let someone with a higher XP boost in.

Just poor planning by a bunch of money grubbers.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by fatboy21007

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/gamersfirst-announces-acquisition-of-fallen-earth-with-new-f2p-b/  FE site has a post that sends ya here. the game did sell out and is now offically going f2p.

That news is 2 months old,  and yes they said 2 months ago it was going free to play.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by erictlewis

That news is 2 months old,  and yes they said 2 months ago it was going free to play.

The story is 1 month old,  same as this thread.

Sad to see it go this way.  I just would really want to see a mid sized 30-40 developer succeed without help from publishers and continued to run a profitable and niche game.  Darkfall is still ticking at least.

1 month, and it was still on the front page of this forum ...

Doesn't change the fact that it's still a crap move for FE.

Originally posted by gotha

Sad to see it go this way.  I just would really want to see a mid sized 30-40 developer succeed without help from publishers and continued to run a profitable and niche game.  Darkfall is still ticking at least.

Darkfall is really cool, I just wish it wasn't quite so hardcore ... I'm not man enough to live in an open world PvP game with full loot. heh

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Originally posted by nerrollus

Originally posted by gotha

Darkfall is really cool, I just wish it wasn't quite so hardcore ... I'm not man enough to live in an open world PvP game with full loot. heh

Yeh know what ya mean.  I just wish games of darkfall,  Earthrise and FE size could succeed more without outside help.

Originally posted by nerrollus

1 month, and it was still on the front page of this forum ...

Doesn't change the fact that it's still a crap move for FE.

Welli f they would have actually made combat better with the 3 combat patches, instead of worse it might have been ok.  Instead all they do is listen to the pvp crowd and continue with the nerf bat to the game to do so called ballance.  making the game go free to play is still not going to fix the problems with it.  It might bring folks to play the game, but they will leave for the same reasons, crappy combat.

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by Caldrin

enjoyed this game at launch just couldnt find a guild that i enjoyed playing with..

now its going f2p i think ill come back for a bit :)

If your lucky, you may even see an old recruitment add from the Wasteland Motor Company crop up now and then. To be honest, I had forgotten about this game after I left it in pursuit of other beta test projects, hard to believe it's been over a year and four months since then.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

One of the reasons MMO's did so well at one point was content, they had more to offer than you standard off the shelf game.  Now with DLC content available normal games are being expanded at a faster rate than MMO's.  You also have connections being made from totally different games by publishers, such as say Dead Space 2 inspired armor in Dragon Age 2.  All of which leads to the casual player being more inclined to spend money on a single player game with some multiplayer/community/crossover content.

I think it's the loss of the casual players that is hitting the MMO market, and while free to play offers some hope I don't think it's a solution.  Free to play may tempt old players back and may entice some new players but I just think the whole MMO model (unless you are WOW) is looking outdated.  I would look at why single player RPG games do very well and give an MMO that sort of feel.   I know free to play with item shops and that is suppose to give that feel but it doesn't.   DLC in games for the most part is not about items, although they are part of it, it's mainly about whether or not you choose to expand the story.   It's not about withholding things it's about generating enough interest in the gamer so that they want to find out a back story or want to see what happens next.

Free to play seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction to just expand the lifetime of games that are past their sell-by-date and generate a bit of  cash. I hope Fallen Earth does well, I think it's a very good game. But free to play will probably only entice me back to check it out quickly,  I am too occupied with exploring the Big Empty and stomping some robot scorpion. To really get back into Fallen Earth it would take a lot more than just going free to play. They need to work out why people are leaving, why the game isn't doing as well as hoped and resolve those issues.  Again the market saturation with all these MMO's going free to play can not be good for the long term future of MMO's in general.

• theyalllietheyalllie Member Posts: 229

I got the E-mail about the transition, and when I went to link my account it does not exist. Thought I got the PW wrong, but no, does not recognize my e-mail at all.

Not really suprised, but thought I'd see if anyone else ran into this?

• Rhyland123Rhyland123 Member UncommonPosts: 25

so did this actually go f2p on the 1st?  I merged my fallen earth account with my gamersfirst account, but when I try to login it says I need an active sub.  anyone know what's up?  I'm having trouble finding news about what's really going on with the game.

It is not free yet, it gave me some sort of bs that I am not a subscriber, but would not let me do anything with my account page.