Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAC dev notes

KenFisherKenFisher Northwest, INMember Posts: 5,035 Uncommon

It's been ages since I posted here, so this is a quick update.

I work with TGEA which is a DX9c engine designed for first person shooters, but useful for other things.  Several months ago I worked out an experiment using terrain paging to create a large seamless world.  This has such an advantage over conventional zoning, that development of the old design was stopped and work switched toward large seamless.

World design based on TES Morrowind (large overland with paths around the world but most content in cave, crypt, etc. dungeons) was my intent.  This got as far as alpha testing and the feedback was mixed.  It certainly wasn't sufficiently positive to move forward.

Current work is far more like a conventional MMO world design with a very large world, now roughly 100 square miles, with regions, quest hubs, and a very large population of overland mobs.  Combat is fully aimed projectiles with SERVER-side hit detection (a modified version of the engines FPS code).  Melee combat (all custom code) is auto-attack and special abilities with hit detection done based on weapon swing area (not as accurate as physics but much more efficient).  So far, pre-alpha feedback has been decent.

This is still months away from major testing and I'm not looking for players or trying to generate hype (pfft... nobody gets excited about micro-budget MMOs anways).  Just posting in case someone stumbles into the forum from the game list and wonders what's up.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• feena750feena750 Federal Way, WAMember Posts: 330 Uncommon

You should update your mmorpg page description to reflect these changes.  It still describes the old game.  I played the old version and wish you luck the new version sounds a lot better.

• KenFisherKenFisher Northwest, INMember Posts: 5,035 Uncommon

That's a good idea.  I'll put something together as the new design solidifies.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.