It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I just finished hitting level 50 as an Eth Mage. (Which is the Defiant side) I was never originally going to play Rift, but here I am.
- In-depth class system. It blows WoW out the window, that's for sure. I'm sure most are aware of this, but it really is well done. The amount of flexibility and customization is pretty out there. It'll take you a while to grow bored of one character, since you can can have up to 4 builds.
- Rifts and Invasions. They break up the monotiny of questing and add an exciting random element to all the zones. Imagine constant outdoor raids.
- Polished. Grab WoW and polish it like hell, you've got Rift. They also added the collections idea from Everquest 2. So collection-whores will be overjoyed.
- Customer service. Just amazing. Very prompt.
- Technical service. Constant bug fixes. They are super quick at fixing. My bf came across a handful of bugs (including a seriously game-breaking cleric bug that allowed infinite mana) and Trion wasted no time fixing it. I haven't been impressed by MMO customer service in a long time.
- Friendlier community. Despite massivly overblown threads, the community is overall pleasant and like a fresh air compared to WoW. (You will encounter the usual idiots in PvP though, but that's agiven.)
- Gorgeous scenery. The views just get better and better as you progress. Shimmersand was pretty impressive. Zone layouts aren't tedious and progress in a fluid manner.
- Nothing very revolutionary or original in the slightest. Rifts could be seen as shiny and new...but in reality it's essentially the public quest system from Warhammer online. It's a WoW clone, but an excellent one and one worth trying at least.
- Meh story. This is more opinionated but...the way in which the story is presented failed to capture me. I found myself skipping through most of the quest text, it was mostly mundane. Don't get me wrong, there's a decent overall story (my partner explained much of the lore and story as we played) But none of the characters or anything like that were particularly memorable.
- PvP. It's seriously fun, but serious imbalance issues also. It's just only made worse by the huge amount of possible builds. Trion admitted class balance is always going to be a big ongoing issue. Both me and my bf encountered a warrior that was doing literally 9k damage per hit! (No exaggeration whatsoever) This guy was clever and set up his build, gear and enchantments just right. Marksman rogues are ridiculous at the moment too. I don't doubt it will be nerfed soon though. Like WoW patches seem to make certain builds too overpowered or underpowered, but it's even worse in Rift.
- Same old end-game. I know this goes back to my first con point but...ugh. There are rift raids (which are pretty awesome) and the usual gear grind and expert dungeons, so this may or may not be a good thing for you. Don't expect anything truly new in this regard though.