Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: E3 2011 Awards

2»

Comments

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Originally posted by umcorian

Defiance by Trion, huh? They are already moving on to new MMOs after Rifts only been out a few months?

I really hope Trion doesn't become another Funcom, spitting out medicore/incomplete MMOs every couple of years. They did a commendable job with Rift, but it's clear Rift is plateauing in a hurry... and a clear reason why is a lack of communication/decent content.

Now, I sorta see why.

Trion announced all 3 games, Rift, End of Nations and, at the time an unnamed  MMO/ TV show with the sci-fi channel. All 3 have been in the works all along. It's not like Trion is abandoning Rift and moving on. It's all part of their plan.

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by whilan

Now everyone knows i'm a Bioware fan, so it makes me a bit curious that before now most of these games (i do know LOTRO is a story based game) that now so many games seem to be incorperating features that are common in Bioware games. IE branching stories, comapnions that also give quests.  It just seems interestsing and gives me a smirk. Good to see story is still viable in MMOs.

Not to hate or anything, but you'd have to be a BioWare fan to believe BioWare invented those features. Both features have been used before and in some instances, better than what BioWare did. Branching storylines hardly exists in BioWare games. Doing stories in various different orders does not make it branching. Witcher on the hand, has a neat branching story line.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Defiance - looks and sounds a whole lot like the comic book "Drafted" which was cancelled. PvP with PC players Vs Consoles in thsi type of game I just dont see it working out too well, Ask Microsoft about that they already worked out it was a bad mix.

Dust 514 is intriguing, I would like to see more titles explore this and a client for Windows would be nice but oh well, keyboard and mouse players own console players as MS is all too well aware..see above.

• mirkrimmirkrim Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

So, the best of show is basically a multi-platform Tabula Rasa??

Uh, not even close.  Sharing the same universe and economy as EVE puts DUST on a whole other level from every other MMOFPS.

• Mr_HalloweenMr_Halloween Member Posts: 18

I don't think you understand how gaming companies work, they have multple teams working on multiple projects. Rift, End of Nations, And defiance (though it was unamed at the time) were all announced at the same time. The rift team, except for the higher ups in the company, will for the most part not work on defiance or end of nations.

• warchidwarchid Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by teakbois

So far the MMOs that focus on more action based combat have been failures.  And TERA isnt doing so well itself, so I would temper expectations on that.

"The game play and combat move incredibly fast for an MMO and players will enjoy the quick combat in the game."

There should be a 'some' before players.  TERA wont revolutionize combat at all.  It will likely be a niche game and its HIGHLY doubtful it will make a big splash against SWTOR and GW2

u are basing your statement on what ? what other ppl are saying ? have u played tera , or atleast playing ktera ? u have to wait and see , don't get your hopes to high with swotr or gw2 both have their issues but do share a common one = pvp, both are pve oriented for the moment so ..... i do not know how to say it but if u like to bash a pixel and he drops dead pops a purse u get items yey u are happy ... then those games are for ya ( after playing tera , tab option is the biggest dumbest idea someone had long time before) if not i think u will not be verry happy with them or atleast not on long term.

I

If defiance has same market strategy as rift we can call it dead from start

DUST u do realise 2 things about dust right

1. is ps3 only that means for pc players of eve the game is like not existing

2. IS NOT AN MMO IS FPS a pure FPS why was even put on mmo list ? just because is related to eve ? the only intereaction betweeen eve will be same chat as corporation and recruitment chat in rest nothing  maybe videos but i doubt it , if u hope u will fly then get droped on planet from your ship and start shooting bad guy's who came to steal your ore , sry ain't happening it will be like global agenda , most part it will be missions taken from a hub , the single player part will be minimal  some eve related things how to move how to shoot and that's it

SWOTR wil have same place as star trek / LOTR or any other movie/book related games , will boom at start then only fans of the book/game will play, as exemple see LOTR a verry good game but after playing some time u realise is boring and brings nothing new

For me i made my decision i will play tera , atleast it's the closest to L2 pvp stile , " U piss me i crack your head and move on', and u dont have to grind like crazzy ( in ktera i made lvl 27 wich is half from max  in 3 day's but was hard core i would say u can make max lvl in 1 and half months of normal playing at this moment)

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

guys trion had three different teams. one for rift, one for end of nations and one for what we now know as defiance.  they have been simultaneously working on all three mmos for a few years now, or at least rifts and end of nations they have been, no idea how long they have been working on defiance but I know its been a year.  the rifts team is probably still in place since they have had three different teams working this whole time.

glad to see world of tanks got something.  despite its limited gameplay it is still very fun to play and hopefully this should bring some players to check out the game.

still waiting for swtor, hasnt it been most anticipated for a few years now.

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

Credibility to this list is almost zero... Most of this titles aren't even done yet.

Pure Trion marketing campaign.

• shippershipper Member Posts: 17

Looks like E3 really lacked... um.. content this year.  Throw an MMO at a wall and hope it sitcks.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by mirkrim

Uh, not even close.  Sharing the same universe and economy as EVE puts DUST on a whole other level from every other MMOFPS.

Dust wasn't best of show, he's refering to Defiance.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• A1x2e3lA1x2e3l Member UncommonPosts: 131

“Rising Star Award for E3 2011 – World of Tanks (wargaming.net)”

“Historic Campaigns”: historic battles mode was delayed; campaigns are not planned at all.

Can someone correct a mistake on one of the  WoT advertisements on this site: this is NOT Kurt Knispel but Tiger commander SS-Untersturmführer Karl Brommann (66 victories).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Brommann

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gen10.htm

• AlbaficaAlbafica Member Posts: 23

"There should be a 'some' before players.  TERA wont revolutionize combat at all.  It will likely be a niche game and its HThere should be a 'some' before players.  TERA wont revolutionize combat at all.  It will likely be a niche game and its HIGHLY doubtful it will make a big splash against SWTOR and GW2IGHLY doubtful it will make a big splash against SWTOR and GW2"before judgind something u probably dont know because u didnt play at all dont make judgement like u are a god or something..i played tera and gw stress beta and  i can tell already tera combat system is a revolution and ----> your precious gw 2 with eaze (i wont mention star wars at all since the combat system tab click target is boring and overated and also the animation sucks..)TERA figjhting system is the best to date DEAL with it.check other sites too....tera took the most awards of best mmo while star wars and gw 2 get sh1t

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I didnt care about Defiance the moment I saw Trion Worlds was behind it

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Most of these games look like they are trying to pull in the COD / Battlefield players, and are throwing "real" MMORPG players to the dogs.

Might just be me......but I don't think so.

I still have my Tabula Rasa box!  Wish someone would pick this up, dust it off, polish it and re-release it.

If not, I might have to check out Defiance.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

E3 is a joke anyways and anyone remotely knowledgeable won't take it seriously.

• boolianboolian Member Posts: 1

man, i havent read much bout the new Star Wars MMO... But i hope its similar to how galaxies was when it first came out.. i havent really seen mmo's run "it" like that since.

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by umcorian

Defiance by Trion, huh? They are already moving on to new MMOs after Rifts only been out a few months?

I really hope Trion doesn't become another Funcom, spitting out medicore/incomplete MMOs every couple of years. They did a commendable job with Rift, but it's clear Rift is plateauing in a hurry... and a clear reason why is a lack of communication/decent content.

Now, I sorta see why.

Funcom has 3 straight failed MMO's, with TSW as a possible great MMO this time around. Trion has only made solid games that are doing well in the market, why not expand and do more. I wouldn't compare them to Funcom, only company that can compare to Funcom's failures is Cryptic.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.