Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eh "VETS", why I didn't try SWG earlier on? I blame YOU!! [+video]

COOKERplCOOKERpl Member Posts: 63

Thanks to SWG Vets I missed on great mmorpg.

Don't take that line too serious hehe.

But still - I'm reading this forums for years, and at times, when I'm looking for opinions about games I want to play/buy, my choice is based on opinions found here.

So now you know why I never really played SWG, and was sticking with other mmos.

[and I will keep this story that short lol]

You probably all know that SOE activated all old accounts for 45 days.

I have old SWG trial account, and last week decided to give this game a proper try.

I AM AMAZED by the number of features in this game.

- Crafting is the BEST I ever experienced, EVERYTHING can be made by players

- Spaceships!! I can freely pilot them, walk on them, make them, sell them, shoot them and even customise them!

- When I feel like questing there is legacy questline, and I went to see jabba palace just totake some screenshots but ended up working for the man!! [slug] And as I'm doing quests for him I'm getting access to more parts of his palace - great stuff :)

- Galactic Civil War - players are fighting to controll cities/planets, open world pvp

- Bounty Hunting on planets and in space. Hunting REAL players for money - how cool is that!

- Chronicles - players can make quests!!! And both - one who made it and one who finished that quest are getting some rewards. And by participating I'm improving my chronicler level so I can create more complicated and challenging quests - I'm doing it with friends and it's great!

- Players can build houses that are NOT instanced, build CITIES and run election for city mayor!

- Collections/achievements are giving me physical rewards like items I can use to decorate my

house or enchance my spaceship or character!!!

And I'm sure thats not all!!!

Keep seeing ppl looking for groups to do some haroic missions [I googled hoth battle video -what other mmorpg gives you THAT?]

There are normal instanced dungeons and bosses too, with rare loot and tokens.

I heard there is special space pvp zone where people are fighting on MULTIPLAYER ships - pilot/gunners like 3, 4 ppl on one ship!!

There even is a fishing leaderboard for guilds - have to get myself a fishing pole then :D

OK game was different back then and you liked it more - BUT why to bash it to death now ?

SWG gives me more than ANY new mmorpg that is out there atm. Played them all btw.

Im level 50 tank/dps in RIFT, 85 tank/dps in WoW, played Darkfall, Mortal Online, damn even things like TIBIA. And I couldn't enyjoy them games for too long.

I'm logging in to WoW, and beside killing raid bosses it feels like there is NOTHING to do.

I was done with Cata xpack in a month and then what? Hard mode ? Please...

If games like SWG will die, and all you can hear about them will be negativity - who is going to invest money in games witch that kind of features/content ?

I bet no indie company can pull of a project that can beat SWG. And what u gonna play - Xyon ? Oh yea this is great finished game that I can enjoy NOW huh...

You should encourage new players to try SWG, not the opposite.

If they only know WoW all they want is just another WoW clone.

I'm playing my newbie Bounty Hunter and Commando and I'm recording videos as I go.

You can see them here : http://youtu.be/iv-8_r0-wKo?hd=1

p.s. I really just wanted to say  - I started to play SWG and frikkin LOVE it :) oh well :D

Comments

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333

That's why i play what i want. If i don't like it o'well, at least i know why i don't like that particular game. Im talking about any mmo in general. Just because someone says they don't like it doesn't mean you won't.

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• COOKERplCOOKERpl Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by SpeedMann

That's why i play what i want. If i don't like it o'well, at least i know why i don't like that particular game. Im talking about any mmo in general. Just because someone says they don't like it doesn't mean you won't.

I'm not saying I always listen to what people say. For example - I'm Final Fantasy fan and I sent 40 euro down the drain when FF14 came out. And I WAS reading all that negative beta feedback but I just wanted to see this game and wanted them Square ppl to succeed.

In my country of birth, average working class people in my home town are getting like 300 euro a month. So you can imagine how hard it can be to convince my friends to invest money in mmorpg that have almost no good reviews/opinions?

Sometimes I'm buying few copies of mmo lets say on steam, I'm sending codes to my friends back there and we are testing new game together. I did that with RIFT and we all ended giving up on it super fast. Only my sub is still running coz I went for that founder pricing crap... AH and my GF coz she forgot to cancell huh. Funny thing - she's back in wow since  last week :)

• SouzetsuAeriSouzetsuAeri Member UncommonPosts: 120

I tried a trial of this games years ago. As exciting as those features sound, when I played I couldn't get immersed into the game. I love Star Wars but SWG just couldn't satisfy me.

Maybe one of these days I will give this game a 2nd chance and maybe I will actually enjoy it? Who knows. :P

Yea, do it now as your old account was reactivated for 45 days, and space expack is included in basic game now.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

And just think, SWG used to be about a million times better than even that. Glad you like it.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Originally posted by COOKERpl

OK game was different back then and you liked it more - BUT why to bash it to death now ?

Perhaps because if SOE decides tomorrow that the "proper" SWG experience is playing as a small blue squirrel using a WII controller interface they would do it in a week without telling you...probably right after selling you an expansion pack??

Old SWG had problems, but rather than work on fixing them SOE decided to mislead ~250k paying subscribers for months and then suddenly attempt to relaunch a totally different game in pursuit of what turned out to be a mythical larger audience. That they have spent the years since making that relaunched game better doesn't make those of us burned by them any more likely to trust them again.

• SizzzSizzz Member Posts: 61

But also consider if you where playing a game with those features and much more nearly 10 years ago, and then they where removed and the population killed.

While some of those features have been added back in very slowly over that time, it is not as good as it once was. But the features they left in, or have added back in later that you are now enjoying are what the vets have wanted all along.

Do those features make it better  than most other MMOs out there? yes

Is it, or will it ever be as good as it once was? no

But I think for fresh players who have not experianced what it could be, then there is certainly good times to be had in the game, and im glad you have found out what us "VETS" - (bio engineer RIP :P) once enjoyed playing :)

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

Or those of us that ground for countless hours to finally unlock our force sensitive slots just to hear... "Now EVERYONE can be a Jedi!"

.... >.>

Son of a...

Thanks SOE, this is a time in the lore when there were maybe two Jedi around, aside from those in hiding, and you covered Naboo in so many lightsabers it looked like a 24/7 rave.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I saw all your 3 vids and have to say, it looks pretty neat. And what surprised me the most, there are quite some players online as well.

• SouzetsuAeriSouzetsuAeri Member UncommonPosts: 120

Yea, do it now as your old account was reactivated for 45 days, and space expack is included in basic game now.

What does the space expack give me at a low level?

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

No offense to people who love this game but I could not really get into it much.  I loved the whole bio-engineering thing since it added something that I personally wish a lot of other games lacked.  However, I could not stand all the bots killing all the mobs I was trying to kill trying to level up my pets.  After contacting customer support several times they basically told me they did not care that people botted and that is when I threw in the towel.

Wish you well in the game but I'll never go into this or any other Sony product again.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by iceissocold

When I played it was a separate function all together, different leveling etc, so it would give you what it would give a lvl 80. if it's still that way that is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

It is silly to read what vets have to say about SWG and avoiding the game on basis of that. Luckily, i never cared for what they say and tried SWG last year. And its been one year now and i recently took a break. It has been one of the best MMO experince i had since EQ and EQ2. SWG is perfect mix of themepark/sandbox element and number of things to do in SWG are mind boggling. 

Originally posted by Malickie

When I played it was a separate function all together, different leveling etc, so it would give you what it would give a lvl 80. if it's still that way that is.

Yea, from what I experienced so far, it looks like you can be say level 1 Smuggler as combat profession, and still max out your pilot level - think it's called Ace Pilot.

Only thing is - you need money for better spaceships and parts to get there. I'm not sure if pure pilots are getting enought money from their missions to cover all the expenses ???

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

I think I'll just be proactive and remind people that this discussion could be good or might go down the road of "it's a darn shame".

Again, I'm just being a bit proactive  just in case this thread might decide to go "south".

So far people are respecting each other and it's starting as a decent discussion but it could easily become ugly given the topic and game.

Discuss the topic, respect each other and we'll keep the thread open.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Malickie

Yea, from what I experienced so far, it looks like you can be say level 1 Smuggler as combat profession, and still max out your pilot level - think it's called Ace Pilot.

Only thing is - you need money for better spaceships and parts to get there. I'm not sure if pure pilots are getting enought money from their missions to cover all the expenses ???

You can make some good credits (gold/cash)  from selling the loot either the junk to npc's or good stuff to crafters who use them to re -engineer them.

Atm in the proces of testing the game out again, I am a early swg player from beta and left the game after the NGE when the mayor amount of towns (and whit it gameplay)were utterly destroyed whitin a few weeks in the exodus.

While the class system ofc still a mayor downgrade compared to the old way the rest of the game has bin given mayor upgrades, I dont know any game that has so many diferent things to do and even crafting has had its own upgrades , customisation is beyond everyting any game has ever offered.

I have yet to do any "serious" game play (herorics, new pvp system) but looking forward to it, and as said I can always go fishing, or do quest for some neat stuff, or grind "elite" mobs in hopes for treasure chest (all old items like NS bracers,painting, crystals drop now as Rare loot from high end mobs, small%chance)

Logging in at 10am I was highly suprised by the amound of people online , while not on pair whit way way back I can say that the farstar( as im playing on that one) server is quite healty , ad spammers, entertainers and cantina crawlers, duel pvp nerts its all there , the new guild searts function is also rather handy to see how active they realy are and quite a lot  had a 95-100% activity ratring (%is based on member count and uniqe logins so not just 1 member logging in each day)

As for the classes, diversity is "ok" no more or less then your other random MMO, I supose having played many other mmo's now and 90% of them being stuck in the class system makes it now easyer to accept swg and its class system for me.

It will be intresting to see how peak times behave tonight and how bussy the server will be and most importand for me how many roleplayers are around.

Looking forward to it.

LF guild interface is another thing imo that is so much ahead of new games.

Only things is, they should move it to main menu [thats handy for newbs like me], coz I was told there is a tool like that, but couldn't find it. Few HELPERS in Mos Eisley couldn't help me eighter, coz they say - if you don't have to use it you forget about it :)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

But still - I'm reading this forums for years, and at times, when I'm looking for opinions about games I want to play/buy, my choice is based on opinions found here.

So now you know why I never really played SWG, and was sticking with other mmos.

I have old SWG trial account, and last week decided to give this game a proper try.

No decay, only real need for crafters repeat business is from power ups. No decay, so no real economy.

- Spaceships!! I can freely pilot them, walk on them, make them, sell them, shoot them and even customise them!

Space is done well in the game. Oddly enough it's the one thing that has been fucked about with the least, tells you something about the dev teams abilities...

- When I feel like questing there is legacy questline, and I went to see jabba palace just totake some screenshots but ended up working for the man!! [slug] And as I'm doing quests for him I'm getting access to more parts of his palace - great stuff :)

You think the Legacy quest is good? Er okay fair enough if you like it I guess.

- Galactic Civil War - players are fighting to controll cities/planets, open world pvp

I don't think so Tim. The GCW in terms of pvp is meaningless and as for open pvp.. inb4 Restuss being the only viable zone to either A) Find anyone and B) That has anywhere near enough hamsters for large scale pvp.

- Bounty Hunting on planets and in space. Hunting REAL players for money - how cool is that!

It would be cool if the majority of bounties were not 50k credits with the rest being on spies.

- Chronicles - players can make quests!!! And both - one who made it and one who finished that quest are getting some rewards. And by participating I'm improving my chronicler level so I can create more complicated and challenging quests - I'm doing it with friends and it's great!

It's handy, given the fact the quests turned out by the dev team  are pretty poor.

- Players can build houses that are NOT instanced, build CITIES and run election for city mayor!

You can't build houses, you can dump them. And boy do people dump them. Ghost cities, ghost cities everywhere.

- Collections/achievements are giving me physical rewards like items I can use to decorate my

Grinds in the place of actual content. Oh look I got Meaningless Plant Part 11/1467743 for the 15th time, woot!

Keep seeing ppl looking for groups to do some haroic missions [I googled hoth battle video -what other mmorpg gives you THAT?]

Try it a few times then get back to us.

Mini pve raids, many of which can be 2-3 manned.

I heard there is special space pvp zone where people are fighting on MULTIPLAYER ships - pilot/gunners like 3, 4 ppl on one ship!!

I think you are refering to either Deep Space or Kessel, why are you bigging it up if you haven't actually been in it? Oh I see this is a bad advertorial post.

There even is a fishing leaderboard for guilds - have to get myself a fishing pole then :D

I don't agree when bitter vets bash the game and hark back to the 'glory days'. But I for one and many others simply think the game as it stands now is not up to par.

SWG gives me more than ANY new mmorpg that is out there atm. Played them all btw.

Cool, it certainly didn't give me more than any other mmorpg out there. More importantly it has very poor core elements. Pvp is a joke. The economy is broken. The server tech is attrocious. There is zero risk factor in the game.

Im level 50 tank/dps in RIFT, 85 tank/dps in WoW, played Darkfall, Mortal Online, damn even things like TIBIA. And I couldn't enyjoy them games for too long.

I'm logging in to WoW, and beside killing raid bosses it feels like there is NOTHING to do.

Wait a minute, didn't you just try and point out swg's rather pathetic mini raid heroics as a plus point?

If games like SWG will die, and all you can hear about them will be negativity - who is going to invest money in games witch that kind of features/content ?

I bet no indie company can pull of a project that can beat SWG. And what u gonna play - Xyon ? Oh yea this is great finished game that I can enjoy NOW huh...

UO, EVE, Archeage, WoD. DF in terms of pvp and the actual feeling of being in vast sandbox. SWG ceased to innovate years ago and has instead been adding in (poor) themepark content. Hardly sterling work.

There is a free trial, oddly enough many try it and think it's not good enough and quit without the egging on from 'bitter vets'.

There is not some WoW vs SWG split. Many simply don't like the game whether they liked/played WoW or not.

I'm playing my newbie Bounty Hunter and Commando and I'm recording videos as I go.

p.s. I really just wanted to say  - I started to play SWG and frikkin LOVE it :) oh well :D

Glad you like it.

People shouldn't be put off by bitter vets and they should try games. But there are plenty of things you bring up that I disagree with there. Perhaps when you have spent a little more time in the game and have seen what it has to offer at 'endgame' so to speak you may change your mind somewhat.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Haha, who ever wrote the in red parts in the post above this one has clearly not spent a min in game since 2006 or so.

Even this first day of testing the game out again shows that, exsample being pvp.. it has expanded quite a bit. how involving it is I dont know (since its my first reteurn day) but theres a whole lot more going on then a single pvp zone on rori these days.

Basicly from waht I seen is that every planet now had about 10 or so pvp zones (towns and "special zones")  that can eb captured by either side. dont know about rewards for capturing them or real use but meh..thinking back to the old system , towns and random spotts bases could be placed and planets "captured" it would chance the npcs in city's to the side that captured the planet.  but it was compleet meaningless beyond providing hotspots to pvp so even if the new system offer nothing but that again nothing changed between now and the old system besites the zones being a little more static now. 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

SWG was my first MMO. I started playing the day after the NGE hit so I can't elaborate much on pre-NGE stuff. But, I have never again found the immersive feelings that I had when I went through the legacy quest. And...after starting with SWG crafting, all other MMO's crafting style is boring to me. People can bash the game if they will, but SWG still has a lot to offer.

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

No decay, only real need for crafters repeat business is from power ups. No decay, so no real economy.

Space is done well in the game. Oddly enough it's the one thing that has been fucked about with the least, tells you something about the dev teams abilities...

You think the Legacy quest is good? Er okay fair enough if you like it I guess.

I don't think so Tim. The GCW in terms of pvp is meaningless and as for open pvp.. inb4 Restuss being the only viable zone to either A) Find anyone and B) That has anywhere near enough hamsters for large scale pvp.

It would be cool if the majority of bounties were not 50k credits with the rest being on spies.

It's handy, given the fact the quests turned out by the dev team  are pretty poor.

You can't build houses, you can dump them. And boy do people dump them. Ghost cities, ghost cities everywhere.

Grinds in the place of actual content. Oh look I got Meaningless Plant Part 11/1467743 for the 15th time, woot!

Try it a few times then get back to us.

Mini pve raids, many of which can be 2-3 manned.

I think you are refering to either Deep Space or Kessel, why are you bigging it up if you haven't actually been in it? Oh I see this is a bad advertorial post.

I don't agree when bitter vets bash the game and hark back to the 'glory days'. But I for one and many others simply think the game as it stands now is not up to par.

Cool, it certainly didn't give me more than any other mmorpg out there. More importantly it has very poor core elements. Pvp is a joke. The economy is broken. The server tech is attrocious. There is zero risk factor in the game.

Wait a minute, didn't you just try and point out swg's rather pathetic mini raid heroics as a plus point?

UO, EVE, Archeage, WoD. DF in terms of pvp and the actual feeling of being in vast sandbox. SWG ceased to innovate years ago and has instead been adding in (poor) themepark content. Hardly sterling work.

There is a free trial, oddly enough many try it and think it's not good enough and quit without the egging on from 'bitter vets'.

There is not some WoW vs SWG split. Many simply don't like the game whether they liked/played WoW or not.

Glad you like it.

People shouldn't be put off by bitter vets and they should try games. But there are plenty of things you bring up that I disagree with there. Perhaps when you have spent a little more time in the game and have seen what it has to offer at 'endgame' so to speak you may change your mind somewhat.

You are right. I just started playing, so ofcourse after spending some time at "end game" my opinion may be different. And I will come back here and post about it if my opinion will change.

I could say something to most of your red liners but will only say this :

I have EVE account, and Darkfall and even UO account [never played much UO tbh and probabnly will never log in to that game again], and I'm not saying they are bad or something. Im just amazed by the number of things I can do in SWG. And I feel like there is much less to do in EVE or DF. When people are talking about SW:TOR that it will have BG's, dungeons and raids + story/voice overs/cutscenes I'm not THAT much excited. I'm doing this things for years already. But when I was told about space PVP zone and multiplayer ships - I pointed it out here coz as a new player I CAN"T w8 to get on one of this ships with my guildies :) Becouse it feels different enought to be worth waiting for :)

And don't even get me started on space combat :) EVE feels like homeworld or other RTS. After my first SWG space fight in asteroids belt, I'm not sure if I will ever enjoy EVE hotbar action again.

When Archeage and WoD will release I will buy them too. But they are not out yet.

EDIT :

I have HIGH hopes for Archeage, probably way too high... oh well :D

Originally posted by Eladi

Haha, who ever wrote the in red parts in the post above this one has clearly not spent a min in game since 2006 or so.

Even this first day of testing the game out again shows that, exsample being pvp.. it has expanded quite a bit. how involving it is I dont know (since its my first reteurn day) but theres a whole lot more going on then a single pvp zone on rori these days.

Basicly from waht I seen is that every planet now had about 10 or so pvp zones (towns and "special zones")  that can eb captured by either side. dont know about rewards for capturing them or real use but meh..thinking back to the old system , towns and random spotts bases could be placed and planets "captured" it would chance the npcs in city's to the side that captured the planet.  but it was compleet meaningless beyond providing hotspots to pvp so even if the new system offer nothing but that again nothing changed between now and the old system besites the zones being a little more static now. 

10 active pvp zones per planet eh? 10 active zones with enough server tech support to handle mass battles per planet? Or are you talking about lolpveinvasions or the redundant mock planetary control crap? Cool...

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

You are right. I just started playing, so ofcourse after spending some time at "end game" my opinion may be different. And I will come back here and post about it if my opinion will change.

I could say something to most of your red liners but will only say this :

I have EVE account, and Darkfall and even UO account [never played much UO tbh and probabnly will never log in to that game again], and I'm not saying they are bad or something. Im just amazed by the number of things I can do in SWG. And I feel like there is much less to do in EVE or DF. When people are talking about SW:TOR that it will have BG's, dungeons and raids + story/voice overs/cutscenes I'm not THAT much excited. I'm doing this things for years already. But when I was told about space PVP zone and multiplayer ships - I pointed it out here coz as a new player I CAN"T w8 to get on one of this ships with my guildies :) Becouse it feels different enought to be worth waiting for :)

And don't even get me started on space combat :) EVE feels like homeworld or other RTS. After my first SWG space fight in asteroids belt, I'm not sure if I will ever enjoy EVE hotbar action again.

When Archeage and WoD will release I will buy them too. But they are not out yet.

EDIT :

I have HIGH hopes for Archeage, probably way too high... oh well :D

Well regardless of my opinion of the game I'm glad you are enjoying it (even if it has only been for a short time thus far).  I hope you continue to enjoy it.

As for Archeage, well I am keeping my eye on it but there are a few things which are causing me to have doubts. I have hopes for WoD but aside from trusting in the developer and their more 'hardcore' player driven approach, there is little real detail to get those hopes up too high yet.

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

I played SWG 3 years (start at the release). i think ... i can't play a game 20 years....sometime we need new challenge... 

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

i like your videos :D reminds me of good times past with swg. if only i hadn't missed the reactivation of old accounts event :(