Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death Penalty

Comments

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by killion81

Death penalties beyond the equivalent of a "slap on the wrist" only serve to diminish fun.  Remember that it's a video game.  People like to do ridiculous (and sometimes stupid) things that they would never really be able to do.  Charge into a group of monsters guns blazing and see what happens.  Severe death penalties punish this "video gaming" type behavior.  I understand there is a niche for people that believe video game death should mean something, but I also believe that most people don't want to be punished for a video game death.  

Games with huge development budgets simply need to appeal to huge audiences.  As long as the gameplay is fun, I think anything that takes you away from the gameplay (such as harsh death penalties) should be left out.  If the game is not simply about having fun and more about your "accomplishments" versus someone elses "accomplishments", I suppose there would be a place for a more harsh death penalty to "punish" one for their failures.

Ya because seeing others jump off a cliff to transport themselves or dieing in benefit of their group (ie: exploiting) is fun!

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by Troneas

Death penalties beyond the equivalent of a "slap on the wrist" only serve to diminish fun.  Remember that it's a video game.  People like to do ridiculous (and sometimes stupid) things that they would never really be able to do.  Charge into a group of monsters guns blazing and see what happens.  Severe death penalties punish this "video gaming" type behavior.  I understand there is a niche for people that believe video game death should mean something, but I also believe that most people don't want to be punished for a video game death.  

Games with huge development budgets simply need to appeal to huge audiences.  As long as the gameplay is fun, I think anything that takes you away from the gameplay (such as harsh death penalties) should be left out.  If the game is not simply about having fun and more about your "accomplishments" versus someone elses "accomplishments", I suppose there would be a place for a more harsh death penalty to "punish" one for their failures.

Ya because seeing others jump off a cliff to transport themselves or dieing in benefit of their group (ie: exploiting) is fun!

It's fun to the people that don't want to "waste" time and would rather transport themselves to continue with actual gameplay.  In regards to "exploiting", it's only an exploit if the game devs say it is. ;)

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Right. Why should we, as paying customers, be inconveniently forced to actually have to walk back to town when we can just tele-death. The nerve of some developers thinking they should implement actual consequences to our actions, how dare they.

Death? Pfft, it gets ya home quicker is all.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

It's fun to the people that don't want to "waste" time and would rather transport themselves to continue with actual gameplay.  In regards to "exploiting", it's only an exploit if the game devs say it is. ;)

really?

well why not take it to the next level then?

why wait for your companions to collect resources? they should bring them to you instantly so you dont waste time.

why ground vehicles? you should be able to open a map, select a location, click on it and be immediately transported to that location. and that map should extend to all planets. why bother with docking a ship? i want to go from the middle of tatooine desert to an alderaan peak in seconds. what fun!

auction houses? meh. just let me browse every auction house from my personal datapad anywhere. and i want the item to go straight into my inventory. i also want to upload my items into the marketplace from my own datapad anywhere. 

NPC quest givers? Do i really have to go out there and find them? why cant i get all the available missions in my datapad so i can finish them straight away!

the list can go on for ever. if you want to remove from the game all "inconveniences" then you end up with a pretty shallow, straightforward game. With great effort i can see how this can be "fun" to some, but for me that is not what an MMORPG is. 

Originally posted by Zekiah

Right. Why should we, as paying customers, be inconveniently forced to actually have to walk back to town when we can just tele-death. The nerve of some developers thinking they should implement actual consequences to our actions, how dare they.

not sure if you were serious or sarcastic... kinda hoping for the latter here. 

in case you weren't, why dont they simply put a "suicide" button on your toolbar. makes it easier. 

• sablephoenixsablephoenix Member UncommonPosts: 31

Death penalties aren't about taking away from fun or punishing anyone. Seems today's generation of gamers believe this is why death penalties exist.

Death penalties are a means of making you think before you act and also serve to either help you learn a class or realize the class isn't for you. Most games with a strong death penalty usually result in players having a better grasp of their class at higher levels. It was fairly easy back in the EQ days to tell if someone played their character to max level or bought it on eBay.

I mean, from this point of view, why even die? Why don't they just start you at max level, with all the high end gear, with invincibility from the moment you log in?

Yes, this is a game and not a job. It's also supposed to be fun, I agree. But what game doesn't have setbacks and pitfalls? You do something stupid in chess and you're going to pay for it. Even in games of chance you end up with penalties that have nothing to do with your skill. I don't like dying. I don't care what the level of penalty involved, it means to me that you lack the skill to survive, especially in cake games like WoW (That I only played to 20 due to getting bored and quitting the free trial).

And as I understand it, this game is about accomplishment. Read some of their posts about gear and how its one way you can look at a person to see what they've accomplished. Accomplishment doesn't mean squat to me if you died thirty times on the same content to get said gear. It just means your luck finally outweighed your lack of skill. Or your friends dragged you through the content.

in case you weren't, why dont they simply put a "suicide" button on your toolbar. makes it easier. 

Sure, why not? Or better yet, why not implement insta-travel like in GW? Why be bothered with mounts and vehicles when it takes too long to click buttons on the hot bar? Let's just skip everything that takes too long, like movement of any kind, and make it all insta-poof travel? I hate realism in my games, as well as anything that takes time to acquire. I want everything handed to me and I want it all right now.

Gimme, gimme...I want, I want...

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by rygar218

So, we got to see the Death Penalty with the the Live Demo game play with Daniel. 

Me personally, I think its too light. As you hear from Daniel takling about it how they use it to their advantage in some of their own Flash Points and other harder fights where they are kitting a MoB around to where they can get self ressed right at the spot. 

For those of you that don't know the current death system,

Right now it appears that when you do die. You have 2 choices you can either be ported back or self res on the spot thru a probe droid. It doesn't appear to be any draw backs if you take the self res on the spot other than you res with low health and you have a 12 sec invis to move away from the area. Then rest up to full health. From what Daniel said the only draw back is that each time you die the timer is just longer. Which that to me is hardly any draw back at all. 

I guess since I'm one for feeling the death from my past experiences with UO, EQ, and other various games. This current death system seems the weakest of all. Even weaker than STO at their start. 

Thoughts on this? 

play the game

I want to own property too

Sure, why not? Or better yet, why not implement insta-travel like in GW? Why be bothered with mounts and vehicles when it takes too long to click buttons on the hot bar? Let's just skip everything that takes too long, like movement of any kind, and make it all insta-poof travel? I hate realism in my games, as well as anything that takes time to acquire. I want everything handed to me and I want it all right now.

a quick answer would be because realism provides more content. 

there are plenty of more reasons why realism has its purpose (immersion?) in a MMORPG but in my experience ive learnt that it is not wise to argue the point with the "instant gratification" crowd. and the main reason is that you see games in a different light that i or others may. 

there are plenty of more reasons why realism has its purpose (immersion?) in a MMORPG but in my experience ive learnt that it is not wise to argue the point with the "instant gratification" crowd. and the main reason is that you see games in a different light that i or others may. 

Ahh, but you're assuming that the average MMO gamer of today cares about those things. I believe the majority of MMO gamers today don't care about immersion but rather phat-lootz gear grinding and achieving maximum level ASAP.

And I'm sorry if it was lost in translation but I was being sarcastic...or perhaps just realistic about the MMO industry of today. Frankly, I'm disgusted with the way the industry has (de)evolved over the last ten years. It's pretty pathetic. Back when games actually meant something, you actually had to consider your actions before making a move because your actions did indeed have consequences. Nowadays, death means nothing outside of just a quick travel option.

Sad.

• Georg Zoeller explains the the medical probe:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6651415#edit6651415

Let's give you some details, since it's E3 and we're being generous

The reason we added this system is that the worlds in The Old Republic are huge and a travel death penalty turned out to be much more punishing than initially planned. Our testers were quite vocal about that.

Our testers also commented that they liked the more challenging content compared to other MMOs (no, Daniel's demo wasn't showing that, since running harder content and talking and answering interview questions is a bit much to ask of a writer ).

Since we wanted to retain the latter, but also fix the death issue, we decided to go with this solution.This system was just added. Currently, in testing, it works like this:

The first time you die, you have the option to summon the probe almost immediately or return to a med center. If a friend tries to restore you instead, the probe option is replaced by the 'accept help' button.

The second time you die (within 30 minutes), the timer to call the probe is 20 seconds.

From there on, the time increases so you'll probably want to go to a medical center instead (which will restore the initial timer).

As said, we just added this system and there's quite a bit of tuning left. We may decide to attach a service fee to the droids. We may make it so you have to purchase insurance in order to call the droids. We may take them out completely. Details like how it works in World PvP are still being tuned as well.

Ahh, but you're assuming that the average MMO gamer of today cares about those things. I believe the majority of MMO gamers today don't care about immersion but rather phat-lootz gear grinding and achieving maximum level ASAP.

And I'm sorry if it was lost in translation but I was being sarcastic...or perhaps just realistic about the MMO industry of today. Frankly, I'm disgusted with the way the industry has (de)evolved over the last ten years. It's pretty pathetic. Back when games actually meant something, you actually had to consider your actions before making a move because your actions did indeed have consequences. Nowadays, death means nothing outside of just a quick travel option.

Sad.

it is actually a relief to know you were being sarcastic.

and yes i am aware that the "average" crowd nowadays only cares about loot and non-stop, meaningless intensive combat.

yet there is a very big portion of players (or ironically perhaps some of those players too) who keep complaining at the state of the current MMOs (which cater mostly to the IGC).

Originally posted by gaou

Georg Zoeller explains the the medical probe:

The reason we added this system is that the worlds in The Old Republic are huge and a travel death penalty turned out to be much more punishing than initially planned. Our testers were quite vocal about that.

Our testers also commented that they liked the more challenging content compared to other MMOs (no, Daniel's demo wasn't showing that, since running harder content and talking and answering interview questions is a bit much to ask of a writer ).

Since we wanted to retain the latter, but also fix the death issue, we decided to go with this solution.This system was just added. Currently, in testing, it works like this:

The first time you die, you have the option to summon the probe almost immediately or return to a med center. If a friend tries to restore you instead, the probe option is replaced by the 'accept help' button.

The second time you die (within 30 minutes), the timer to call the probe is 20 seconds.

From there on, the time increases so you'll probably want to go to a medical center instead (which will restore the initial timer).

As said, we just added this system and there's quite a bit of tuning left. We may decide to attach a service fee to the droids. We may make it so you have to purchase insurance in order to call the droids. We may take them out completely. Details like how it works in World PvP are still being tuned as well.

tell them they should add a bigger hit to the durability of all your repairable items when you die as well. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

MMO's have been moving away from harsh DP's for some time now. Both GW2 and TOR seem to be embracing this same ideal. I actually think it's a tad worse in Gw2 with everyone having a rez ability.  Just looks like they are trying to go FPS style with no downtime what so ever.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Originally posted by Malickie

MMO's have been moving away from harsh DP's for some time now. Both GW2 and TOR seem to be embracing this same ideal. I actually think it's a tad worse in Gw2 with everyone having a rez ability.  Just looks like they are trying to go FPS style with no downtime what so ever.

in GW 2 is it a self rez or an ability to rez other people? i ask because in TOR everyone gets an ability that lets you rez other people.  so if all but one group member died, that person would be able to rez them.

Originally posted by Malickie

in GW 2 is it a self rez or an ability to rez other people? i ask because in TOR everyone gets an ability that lets you rez other people.  so if all but one group member died, that person would be able to rez them.

Didn't know TOR had that to, well I don't like that for either game. How will anyone lose in PVP if everyone that dies is brought back to life instantly?

• Originally posted by Malickie

Didn't know TOR had that to, well I don't like that for either game. How will anyone lose in PVP if everyone that dies is brought back to life instantly?

well the one in TOR is an out of combat rez for every class.  there may be some classes that have an in combat rez but we don't know.  and not sure if it works in warzones.

• xantrisxantris Member Posts: 38
    If this means they make the actual combat challenging then I'm fine with it.

well the one in TOR is an out of combat rez for every class.  there may be some classes that have an in combat rez but we don't know.  and not sure if it works in warzones.

That is a tad better then, as it makes sense to allow friends to rez each other while out in the field adventuring. PVP is a different matter though. I guess after a victory (combat is over) I could stomach being able to rez others.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by Waynejur2

Make a self-imposed penalty. There is your freedom in an mmorpg. :D

Pshh, I'd rather impose them on you. I know I'm never going to die. image

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

tell them they should add a bigger hit to the durability of all your repairable items when you die as well. 

Just make the med droid summoning cost money.  Base that cost on the area level, and maybe add a multiplier as they die multiple times in a given period.  Lore-wise, this makes sense.  For a med droid to travel to you, there's a level of danger that the unit has to avoid to get to you, and each time you use it, you're wasting resources that could be used at its supposed point of origin.  This justifies a cost.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Robsolf

As said, we just added this system and there's quite a bit of tuning left.
    We may decide to attach a service fee to the droids. We may make it so you have to purchase insurance in order to call the droids. We may take them out completely. Details like how it works in World PvP are still being tuned as well.

Just make the med droid summoning cost money.  Base that cost on the area level, and maybe add a multiplier as they die multiple times in a given period.  Lore-wise, this makes sense.  For a med droid to travel to you, there's a level of danger that the unit has to avoid to get to you, and each time you use it, you're wasting resources that could be used at its supposed point of origin.  This justifies a cost.

they are considering that...in a way. 

in red. they could make you pull out a fee to use it. may make you have to pay a service fee or take it out all together.

Lots of things they could do with it...they haven't nailed down how exactly it will work as they apparently just put this in recently.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by whilan

Originally posted by Robsolf

they are considering that...in a way. 

in red. they could make you pull out a fee to use it. may make you have to pay a service fee or take it out all together.

Lots of things they could do with it...they haven't nailed down how exactly it will work as they apparently just put this in recently.

Ah, I missed that.. thanks!

It just seems like it would be much easier to code for than item damage.  And could make for some downright nasty, stinging Death Penalties without slowing everything down.  Their insurance idea would be good, too.  Those that pretend to enjoy stinging, nasty painful penalties can just... not buy insurance.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Meh. Since these games have just become grown up, digital, cowboys and indians, the whole concept of death penalty seems a moot point these days.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Tardcore

Meh. Since these games have just become grown up, digital, cowboys and indians, the whole concept of death penalty seems a moot point these days.

Yeah. After playing EVE I realized that the severity of death penalty was proportional to the excitement I experienced in pvp. Cold sweat and shaking hands, sometimes so severe that I had to take a step back from the game right after an encounter to get back to my senses. And that was mainly me being the assaulting party so most of the times I even saw it coming >_<

Even Russians get really riled up about it and that's saying something.

Would be cool to have a slightly steeper death penalty on pvp servers in my opinion. Doesn't need to be full loot though. A very expensive equipment tick, a nasty debuff and a rapidly increasing res timer would help a lot in making dying something which you really want to avoid.

In WAR and AoC the low penalties always bothered me. People even purposely jumped of cliffs or drowned in order to fast travel to the res pad in AoC. In WAR RVR was a huge res and zerg fest where everyone died tens of times in an hour without any mentionable negative consequences. Meh. Somehow WOW always felt more severe in the death department than those two.

Really hope Bioware won't go the lenient, hand holding way too much.